Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New Castle, DE, United States
Re: RT to K1600 questions
I was rearended on my 2012 RT which totaled it. After I recovered I bought a GTL because I finally admitted that the RT was just a little too tall for me (29" inseam). I was OK 95% of the time but the remaining 5% was tough. Perhaps it's just viewing the departed with rose-colored glasses, but I seem to remember the RT being more of a fun ride than the GTL. Gotta say that there's no comparing the throttle response, though - the GTL is AWESOME.
I like the GTL saddle height and reach but the knee bend is too much for my stiff knees, so I'm looking at lowering the pegs: reduction in lean is probably not an issue since I'm not that aggressive in the twisties. Changed out the windshield so I can look over it instead of through. No water pump or switchgear issues.
I bought the GTL used last fall. It was built in March 2012 so it's an early build, maybe even a preorder. It has a severe left pull issue. It's not gentle drift but enough to change lanes pretty quickly and it just keeps on increasing the rate of the turn. I really believe if I let it go to completion it'd low-side. I've decided that the left pull issue is something I can live with if I have to but would really prefer not to. As the OP noted, BMW doesn't officially recognize the existence of the left pull issue but it's real for me. I haven't seen any recent posts other than resurrection of old threads so they may have gotten that sorted out. Don't think we'll ever know for sure what changed.
Water pump issues finally seem to have been designed out, but all reports say that even before the latest part number it was just a slow drip - not enough to leave you stranded. Posters all said they couldn't even see a drop in the overflow tank.
The RTW has the same improved switchgear as the GTL now, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Excess driveline lash in the early ones seems to have been solved by a redesigned transmission (different P/N than the original). Mine exhibits this condition; it's more prominent in the lower gears but can be adapted to.
I'm doing a long weekend on a rental RTW in a couple of weeks, to see if I want to trade the GTL. I've played with the controller on RTWs and I think I like the menu structure better. I liked the nimbleness of my old RT and would trade the arm-stretching power of the GTL for it. I ride solo so performance with a pillion is not an issue.
For me, making the trade comes down to whether I can deal with the seat height in which case I'll probably switch to the RTW. If not, I'll either keep the GTL and fix what can be fixed, or trade for a newer one where everything's been sorted out.
2020 R1250 GSAW Low
2016 R1200 GSAW Low (traded)
2015 R1200 RT (traded)
2012 K1600 GTL (traded)
2012 R1200 RT (totaled, RIP)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.