BMW Exclusive - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old Nov 20th, 2013, 8:17 pm Thread Starter

BMW Exclusive

http://www.ridermagazine.com/top-sto...ok-review.htm/

Looks like a bike with some nice extra features.

Gerhard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old Nov 20th, 2013, 9:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: BMW Exclusive

Looks like they pulled out all the stops (including many appearance items) on this one. Wow.

Heated arm rests...?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 42 Old Nov 20th, 2013, 9:17 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Heated back rest, plus they filled in the lower section.

And more random chrome trim . . .

I heard this fully-loaded unit will run just north of $30K. If you opt for the Nav V, BMW Comms, and color-matched C3 Pros, you're climbing damn near to $35K, and let's not even talk about the Akrapovics . . .

Lots more detailed info in this thread over on the K1600 forum.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 42 Old Nov 20th, 2013, 10:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum
He wants the precious. Always he is looking for it. And the precious is wanting to go back to him... But we mustn't let him have it.
So maybe Gollum was talking about this new GTL and not the Ring?

The paint scheme is very nice but not exactly my taste; stealth black would be more my speed. Wonder what this will top out at, price wise.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #5 of 42 Old Nov 20th, 2013, 10:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Looks like they pulled out all the stops (including many appearance items) on this one. Wow....
Very nice looking bike. I bet it has those wonderful switches and great water
pumps.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #6 of 42 Old Nov 21st, 2013, 9:03 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
Very nice looking bike. I bet it has those wonderful switches and great water
pumps.
Sounds a lot like sour grapes jealousy to me . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 42 Old Nov 21st, 2013, 9:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Sounds a lot like sour grapes jealousy to me . . .
Yeah, you got me Meese. I'm secretly green w/ envy of those who'll spend this kind of money for two wheel transportation, which U.S. insurers classify as "recreational", only to sing "no big deal..." when their vacations are severely interrupted by such "minor annoyances", learning that it'll take untold weeks for a replacement part to come in.
That being said, I have read the switches have been redesigned, so perhaps there's hope for the waterpumps, but I'll leave it to the aristocrats and gullible village idiots to learn for themselves. If I wanted a high-dollar hangar queen, I could think of several alternatives more appealing and even more practical.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #8 of 42 Old Nov 21st, 2013, 2:39 pm

"but I'll leave it to the aristocrats and gullible village idiots to learn for themselves. If I wanted a high-dollar hangar queen, I could think of several alternatives more appealing and even more practical."

Is it just me, or is this just way out'a line? I normally don't post under bikes I don't own, but I also don't criticize those that own what they like. If I had the money, I'd own one of these, yet I don't consider myself, or my friend that owns a GTL, an aristocrat or village idiot. Nor would I call a beautiful motorcycle, built for real riding, not a bar hopper, a hanger queen.

If I 'am' out of line, my apologies.
post #9 of 42 Old Nov 21st, 2013, 3:34 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

New switches are being rolled out now, and new water pumps are already available. Note that the water pumps never actually stranded the bike (just a bit of coolant seepage), and very few of the switches ever stranded a bike (maybe the cruise and windshield stopped working for a bit).

That's not to say those things aren't important, but they're really not the big deal some folks seem hell bent on making them out to be.

In almost 60K miles, my GTL has never left me stranded. Whereas both of my LTs lost final drives, leading to a dangerous situation (gear oil all over the rear brakes and tire), and how many LT riders have spent thousands on clutches, slave cylinders, and ABS units?

Look, no bike is perfect, and owners should expect reasonable reliability for their hard-earned money. Especially from a premium brand like BMW.

But I know for a fact that the LT has suffered more, and more expensive failures than the GT/L ever has.

You're simply playing the sky is falling card to downplay the bike you don't have, for the one that you do.

And you're simply wrong.

Let it go, man . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #10 of 42 Old Nov 21st, 2013, 3:36 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
If I 'am' out of line, my apologies.
You're not, so don't worry.

Some folks just have to put others down in a vain attempt at making themselves feel better about their choices. Fortunately, they're always incredibly transparent about it, even if it never does really work . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #11 of 42 Old Nov 21st, 2013, 10:27 pm

Quote:
...Is it just me, or is this just way out'a line? I normally don't post under bikes I don't own, but I also don't criticize those that own what they like. If I had the money, I'd own one of these, yet I don't consider myself, or my friend that owns a GTL, an aristocrat or village idiot. Nor would I call a beautiful motorcycle, built for real riding, not a bar hopper, a hanger queen....
Frank, I'm not speaking of anyone specifically, as was Meese suggesting I am "jealous". I was simply using extreme examples of two different thought processes IMO of these owners, though it's ironic because there doesn't seem to be much thought expended in either case. In actuality, I'm sure most owners fall somewhere between these two extremes. If I wanted to do some name calling, I'd be quite specific. I, nor any other reasonabe person, has to be an "owner" in order to offer an opinion about a product (or anything else for that matter), based on extensive reading/reports from other owners. I don't have to be a recipient of the bubonic plague to offer my advice to others to stay away from it because it's wickedly deadly. Journalists who write reviews for motorcycles are another example. They're usually not owners, and while a lot of them do test ride the bikes for some period of time, there are also those who simply reprint others' opinions and information. I don't hear you guys whining about them not being owners because they published some story that might or might not be flattering to the subject matter, though there are those who complain about what Consumer Reports puts out, even though they sometimes have a valid argument.

I'm going to go out on a limb and read into Meese's comments, just as Frank has done with mine. Yes, I don't own one of these GTLs, but I can afford one. That being said, I choose not to live on the bleeding edge of technology. It's a pricey way to go through life, but to each their own. Meese, I realize the percentage of these issues is small- just as the percentage of the FD failures of other BMW bikes. The fact remains there will be two types of owners who are fond of these cycles- those who take a chance with them by buying new and pay a premium as a result, and then the others who sit back and wait for the newness to wear off; prices to come down, and the bugs to become evident and hopefully shaken out.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #12 of 42 Old Nov 21st, 2013, 11:17 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Don't forget the third type - those who thought about owning one, maybe even took a test ride, but decided not to get one for whatever reason (tight budget, prefer their current ride, not the right time to buy a new bike, dealer too far away, didn't like the color, whatever), who then go on to pick at every insignificant detail and poke at every other owner in a weak attempt to make their non-choice stand out as somehow more valid.

Yes, there are a couple of minor concerns with the K16, just as there are with pretty much every all-new platform, but BMW is addressing them. There were (and are) far more serious problems with the decade-old LT design. We all know about them, and this forum in particular has done great work in developing fixes or work-arounds. Just as the K1600 forum has worked on those issues and come up with reasonable solutions where needed while BMW sorts things out on their end.

The LT is still a fine bike, and I do miss some things about mine, even if it did leave me stranded more than once. But it no longer fits the way I ride. If it still does for you, then that's all good.

So ride whatever you want, as long as you're happy with it, just have the courtesy to let others do the same . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #13 of 42 Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 4:59 am

Lightbulb Re: BMW Exclusive

I read this PR piece from BMW after receiving their email, which I signed up for, and what bugs me, which lead to my original comment in this thread was how they mentioned all the neat stuff about this model (though they didn't bother to mention any pricing), but they didn't bother to mention how they were trying to make improvements re: the known flaws. I suppose most corporations rarely if ever publicly admit faults/shortcomings, so it's not surprising BMW didn't mention these fixes, which would have been applicable for this particular write-up. After all, they are charging even more money for this model, so it seems logical they would try to appease existing disgruntled owners in hopes of keeping them as repeat customers. I've mentioned before that it's significantly cheaper to keep existing customers (as repeat customers) than to go out and attract new ones. If BMW would only "man up" and admit they've made a mistake but they're trying to fix it, then it would speak volumes for their public perception/relations and certainly change some owners' hearts, who had otherwise, vowed not to purchase additional products. Just a thought. I know...it makes too much sense. It is still an attractive bike.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #14 of 42 Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 8:22 am

What I want to know is how they make it to stand up without any support, I know everybody says how much lower the CG is on the K1600 over the LT, but this is crazy

-Steve

2009 BMW R1200RT
2000 BMW K1200LT (was supposed to be replaced by above, but can't keep above running long enough to replace
)
2000 BMW R1200C
post #15 of 42 Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 9:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstatetour
What I want to know is how they make it to stand up without any support, I know everybody says how much lower the CG is on the K1600 over the LT, but this is crazy
I think it's remote controlled, no rider required, and the photo is a freeze frame from a video as it passes by the grey back drop!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #16 of 42 Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 11:49 am
IBR# 366

Garage

How long have you been riding BMWs, Jeff?

Germans simply don't admit fault. German engineers especially so, and BMW most of all. It's just not how they think, never mind the potential lawsuits from sue-happy Americans . . .

What they do is study a problem thoroughly, decide what their best course of action is, and then do that as best as they know how. That's part of what leads to leading-edge innovations, such as the first motorcycle ABS, laying the cylinders completely flat or dropping them forward at an extreme angle, or the plethora of electronic gadgetry that enhances safety, comfort, and entertainment.

Sometimes, things don't quite go as planned. Or there are unforeseen interactions, or simple manufacturing issues. That's just the nature of engineering in the modern world, compounded when going into new territory.

When that does happen, BMW will outwardly deny any problems, but internally they open a study case, gather all the info they can, analyze the broken parts and failure reports, and drill down to the root cause of the problems.

Once the root cause is identified, a change is made to design, materials, or manufacturing to eliminate the problem. These changes are then rolled out on all new bikes, and retrofitted to older bikes as needed. Sometimes, that's at BMW's cost. Sometimes, it's a customer cost.

These changes can be relatively quick, but usually they take as much time as they need in order to get it right.

So if you happen to be suffering from one of these issues, it can be quite frustrating. No information can sure seem like BMW doesn't care, but trust me, they really do.

They're simply gonna handle it in their own way, and on their own time schedule.

Repeat BMW customers know this, and accept it as part of getting these advanced technologies. Those who aren't as accepting, or just don't get it, tend to bitch all over the internet about how horribly their being treated after spending so much money on a premium bike until they either learn to accept it, or give up entirely and go back to a more "traditional" bike.

If the benefits of BMW outweigh the hassles for you and how you ride, then you'll keep the bike and ride off happy. If not, there are lots of other great choices out there . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #17 of 42 Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 12:00 pm

"Those who aren't as accepting, or just don't get it, tend to bitch all over the internet about how horribly their being treated after spending so much money on a premium bike until they either learn to accept it, or give up entirely and go back to a more "traditional" bike."

I'm curious Ken. Are these folks the aristocrats or the village idiots?
post #18 of 42 Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 12:08 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Are these folks the aristocrats or the village idiots?
I suppose that depends on whether they're bitching about their bike, or about a bike that they don't even own . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #19 of 42 Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 8:02 am

I'm pretty devoted to boxer twins and the 1600 and the LT are too big for me and not my style--maybe the GT, never the GTL--but if I wanted to post something snarky about this one, I'd just post thank goodness it isn't yellow. Fluid Gray would have been nicer.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #20 of 42 Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 12:32 pm

Smile Re: BMW Exclusive

Quote:
Don't forget the third type - those who thought about owning one, maybe even took a test ride, but decided not to get one for whatever reason (tight budget, prefer their current ride, not the right time to buy a new bike, dealer too far away, didn't like the color, whatever), who then go on to pick at every insignificant detail and poke at every other owner in a weak attempt to make their non-choice stand out as somehow more valid.

Yes, there are a couple of minor concerns with the K16, just as there are with pretty much every all-new platform, but BMW is addressing them. There were (and are) far more serious problems with the decade-old LT design. We all know about them, and this forum in particular has done great work in developing fixes or work-arounds. Just as the K1600 forum has worked on those issues and come up with reasonable solutions where needed while BMW sorts things out on their end.

The LT is still a fine bike, and I do miss some things about mine, even if it did leave me stranded more than once. But it no longer fits the way I ride. If it still does for you, then that's all good.

So ride whatever you want, as long as you're happy with it, just have the courtesy to let others do the same . . .
I would Love to live with the minor issues the GT/GTL have . Test drove both bikes albeit some issues with wind protection but correctable. Planning on the RT-W because I just want a lighter bike and ease of valve maintenance.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #21 of 42 Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 1:08 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I've never been much of a Boxer guy - too many smooth inline-4's to ever get used to the infamous Boxer Buzz. Other riders love those bikes, and that's cool for them - it's just not me.

But from what I hear about the new GS-W motor, I think an RT-W test ride is definitely in order . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #22 of 42 Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 1:38 pm

Cool Re: BMW Exclusive

Since Ken seems to write the rules on proper forum etiquette ... lemme give this a shot.

Quote:
I've never been much of a Boxer guy - too many smooth inline-4's to ever get used to the infamous Boxer Buzz.
I've owned two BMWs - but there's too many dependable Jap bikes to ever get used to that infamous BMW unreliability.

How'd I do???

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
  • 2010 Kawasaki Concours14
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
  • 2005 Harley V-Rod Chrome Edition
  • 2003 Harley V-Rod Anniversary Edition
post #23 of 42 Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 2:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
Since Ken seems to write the rules on proper forum etiquette ... lemme give this a shot.

I've owned two BMWs - but there's too many dependable Jap bikes to ever get used to that infamous BMW unreliability.

How'd I do???
OH no! What happened to the easy going likeable "ver2" The above Quote is reminiscent of the "OLD JOE"

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

post #24 of 42 Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 4:14 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

And yet, you're still here, Joe . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #25 of 42 Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 9:28 pm

Ah! Another classic BMW rant. The bike is overpriced, unreliable, ladden with useless gadgets...blah...blah....blah.... and by implication as an owner I am blinded by the cache of the brand and only buy it because I have to much disposable income. Think what you like. I ride lots and love my GSA and K1600gt. If you prefer another brand....good for you. I made my choice and am very happy with the result.
post #26 of 42 Old Nov 24th, 2013, 7:01 am

Quote:
I've never been much of a Boxer guy - too many smooth inline-4's to ever get used to the infamous Boxer Buzz. Other riders love those bikes, and that's cool for them - it's just not me.

But from what I hear about the new GS-W motor, I think an RT-W test ride is definitely in order . . .
We'll have to see if the Buzz is there in the RT'W. If present just alter the RPM. As I recall my LT has a bit at 3700 rpm's and I always just get out of that rpm.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #27 of 42 Old Nov 24th, 2013, 9:16 pm

BMW had its new bike on display at the Los Angeles International Auto show, which opened on Friday, Nov 22. It attracted a lot of attention from the crowd, many of whom probably didn't know that BMW made motorcycles too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	45298   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	45306   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1-1.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	45314   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2-1.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	45322  
post #28 of 42 Old Nov 24th, 2013, 10:17 pm

So this "hill assist". Does that mean I can't roll back down the hill on my driveway to the street?

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #29 of 42 Old Nov 25th, 2013, 12:35 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
So this "hill assist". Does that mean I can't roll back down the hill on my driveway to the street?
If you apply it while pointing uphill on your driveway, then sure.

But why would you?

It'd be the same as saying "Does this mean I can't ride off on my LT if I have it in Reverse?"

Hill Assist is a useful function that the rider engages for a very specific set of circumstances. Otherwise, it makes no difference as to how the bike operates at any other time.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #30 of 42 Old Nov 25th, 2013, 6:54 am Thread Starter

My car has this feature and basically it holds the brake for 2 or 3 seconds while the clutch is depressed, in neutral no clutch no hill holder function and once the clutch travels a certain amount the brakes also release . Now the way it is implemented on the RT may be totally different but I would be surprised if it held the brake indefinitely.

Gerhard
post #31 of 42 Old Nov 25th, 2013, 6:34 pm

Quote:
If you apply it while pointing uphill on your driveway, then sure.

But why would you?

It'd be the same as saying "Does this mean I can't ride off on my LT if I have it in Reverse?"

Hill Assist is a useful function that the rider engages for a very specific set of circumstances. Otherwise, it makes no difference as to how the bike operates at any other time.
So this is something that you engage (or not) at the moment not some automatic thing the computer does. If so OK.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #32 of 42 Old Nov 25th, 2013, 7:04 pm Thread Starter

If it is implemented similar to my car there is a menu selection to disable hill assist but not while driving. When the car is at a certain angle it is automatically engaged. I can drive a manual car without it on steep hills but the hill assist is unintrusive so I don't find it necessary to disable. I understand that on a motorcycle you may want to roll backwards into a parking spot with partial braking pressure and if the brake stayed engaged that would be annoying but if it is like my car you could make those manoeuvres in neutral without interference from the hill assist.

Gerhard
post #33 of 42 Old Nov 25th, 2013, 7:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard
I understand that on a motorcycle you may want to roll backwards into a parking spot with partial braking pressure and if the brake stayed engaged that would be annoying but if it is like my car you could make those manoeuvres in neutral without interference from the hill assist.

Gerhard
Thanks for the thoughtful answer. I would have to change my habits a bit if that's the case. I rarely put it in neutral. Generally if he motor is running its in gear. I back down the driveway with the clutch in dragging the brakes make the turn on the street then let out the clutch and go.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #34 of 42 Old Nov 25th, 2013, 11:32 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

According to the Official BMW Press Release click here to download, the Hill Start Control has to be consciously engaged by operating the front brake lever tightly until a stop symbol appears on the display. It can also be disengaged by either pressing the front brake lever again, or just driving off.

Looks like BMW has thought this through after all . . .

Hill Start Control enabling pulling away uphill with ease and comfort.

The K 1600 GTL Exclusive is the first model with an in-line engine from BMW Motorrad to feature the new Hill Start Control function, which allows the rider to effortlessly remain at a stop on uphill slopes with the engine running without having to keep the brake lever pressed. This makes it far easier to perform hill starts and is a particularly valuable aid on a fully laden tourer.

Thanks to the partially integral ABS braking system, the rear brake can be operated individually for this purpose. This allows pressure to be built up in the rear wheel’s hydraulic brake unit when the Hill Start Control is activated in order to hold the motorcycle steady on an incline.

The Hill Start Control is purely a convenience feature that is designed to facilitate stopping and starting on a hill and is not to be confused with a parking brake. It is activated by squeezing the hand-operated brake lever tightly, whereupon a stop symbol appears on the display. The system is deactivated by either pressing the brake lever again or pulling away in first or second gear.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #35 of 42 Old Nov 26th, 2013, 6:10 am Thread Starter

That looks like it will work well without interfering with normal riding.

Gerhard
post #36 of 42 Old Nov 26th, 2013, 8:41 am

Quote:
According to the Official BMW Press Release click here to download, the Hill Start Control has to be consciously engaged by operating the front brake lever tightly until a stop symbol appears on the display. It can also be disengaged by either pressing the front brake lever again, or just driving off.

Looks like BMW has thought this through after all . . .

Hill Start Control enabling pulling away uphill with ease and comfort.

The K 1600 GTL Exclusive is the first model with an in-line engine from BMW Motorrad to feature the new Hill Start Control function, which allows the rider to effortlessly remain at a stop on uphill slopes with the engine running without having to keep the brake lever pressed. This makes it far easier to perform hill starts and is a particularly valuable aid on a fully laden tourer.

Thanks to the partially integral ABS braking system, the rear brake can be operated individually for this purpose. This allows pressure to be built up in the rear wheel’s hydraulic brake unit when the Hill Start Control is activated in order to hold the motorcycle steady on an incline.

The Hill Start Control is purely a convenience feature that is designed to facilitate stopping and starting on a hill and is not to be confused with a parking brake. It is activated by squeezing the hand-operated brake lever tightly, whereupon a stop symbol appears on the display. The system is deactivated by either pressing the brake lever again or pulling away in first or second gear.
Much better response. Thank you.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #37 of 42 Old Dec 9th, 2013, 9:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstatetour View Post
It is the new dynamic balancing system. There is this HUGE gyro cleverly hidden inside the engine that keeps the bike upright when stopped. Very clever those Germans!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #38 of 42 Old Dec 9th, 2013, 10:17 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Who needs tip over protection when you can have DAS (Dynamische AusgleichsSystem)! Only on the groundbreaking BMW GTL Exclusive!

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #39 of 42 Old Dec 10th, 2013, 8:25 am

BMW Exclusive-index.jpg
post #40 of 42 Old Dec 10th, 2013, 8:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas View Post
Thanks for the thoughtful answer. I would have to change my habits a bit if that's the case. I rarely put it in neutral. Generally if he motor is running its in gear. I back down the driveway with the clutch in dragging the brakes make the turn on the street then let out the clutch and go.
What's the big deal? My 1950 Studebaker had "HILL HOLD". Just press the clutch pedal all the way down while pressing on the brake and you could release the brake and the depressed clutch would hold the brake locked until you started to release it. Worked great, no rearward drift when starting on a hill!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

post #41 of 42 Old Dec 10th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Anyone have any info on what colors they're planning on for the 2014 GTL's??

Bill (aka Chipper)
Elk Grove Ca.
2014 K1600GTL-E
2009 K1200LT (BLACK)-Traded In
2004 RTP Work Bike(Retired)
2002 LTE Totaled Aug/2011)
1978 H-D LowRider
1975 Honda-Goldwing
post #42 of 42 Old Dec 10th, 2013, 12:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen View Post
What's the big deal? My 1950 Studebaker had "HILL HOLD". Just press the clutch pedal all the way down while pressing on the brake and you could release the brake and the depressed clutch would hold the brake locked until you started to release it. Worked great, no rearward drift when starting on a hill!
I could have used that in WV when I was learning to drive a VW Beetle on any number of hills. My dad picked out one of the steepest hills and I had to drive off of a start without rolling down before I could go for my drivers license... Good practice for my first bike!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in