The K1600.1 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old May 1st, 2012, 6:57 am Thread Starter

The K1600.1

It seems that there are a lot of issues with the current bike, some serious. I don't intend to list them because to do so would invite a torrent of 'I've had no problems with mine' responses which I don't need. I know there are bikes with no issues. But there are plenty - more than acceptable in my opinion - with. Anyone trawling through the postings here and elsewhere will have noted them. And if you start to write them down the list becomes quite long.

No, the purpose of this post is to acknowledge that the 'I'll wait for the bugs to be ironed out' brigade were probably right, even though I disagreed at the time, and to ask - when can we expect the Mark 2 and how will we know it's available?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old May 1st, 2012, 7:57 am
Ric

Re: The K1600.1

Highroamer: you have posted a really good question, but one without a suitable answer. First off one would have to admit they have a teething problem bike. OK, I have some issues with mine so now what? Well I can work with BMW and try to sort out my issues and enjoy what I have. Or I could sell my GTL and wait for a new improved model. How would I know when that new, improved model comes out though? I am sure there won't be any signs on it or the dealer won't be telling everyone this is the problem free model. To do so would be to admit the current bikes have issues and accept some degree of fault.

No I don't think that will happen. It will simply be where you go into the dealer and take one for a ride and guess what? No apparent problems, buy the bike. Waiting to make this purchase though means waiting to purchase the best bike you may ever own! So this is a give and take situation. Wait for a while to purchase a trouble free (maybe) K1600 or jump in the water and start having fun!!! The question that must really be answered is how much time do you have left to enjoy the K1600??? My answer is....not enough!

Rick H.
post #3 of 14 Old May 1st, 2012, 10:43 am
IBR# 366

Garage

It's all about attitude and perception.

Yes, some issues have cropped up on the K1600 bikes. But that's to be expected on a completely redesigned model, from any bike (or car) manufacturer.

But overall, the issues on the K16 bikes have been very minor, and most have been addressed already. I've had enough BMW's over the years to know when there is a serious problem that isn't being acknowledged or addressed (final drives, surging, jumping cam chains, etc.). Sure, a few leaky water pumps, some bum switches, and Bluetooth teething problems can be annoying, but they don't really rate as major failures for the vast majority of bikes out there.

You also have to understand that forums like this are where folks come to get answers to their questions, so you tend to get more problem reports than you get folks just saying "My bike is awesome, and everything works just great!" Those folks are simply too busy riding and enjoying their bikes to post the obvious.

The current business/engineering model for the vast majority of companies is to develop a product, get it out there as fast as possible to start making sales, and then deal with whatever problems crop up. It's a software mindset, where iterations are cheap and easy, but now we see it in vehicles, in computers, in cell phones, and in other consumer products.

It's the difference between Android, who push out phones as fast as they can make them and then abandon them within 6 months for the "new" model, and Apple, who build and refine six different phones in the lab, then only release one model per year, but you know that model is going to perform just as advertised.

There will always be the next new model coming along, so if you wait for that, you'll never buy anything. So you do the research, read all the opinions, both good and bad, and then at some point you make your choice and lay down your cash.

Maybe you have issues that can be resolved, and maybe you don't. But at least you have the product in hand to use and enjoy, instead of constantly waiting for them to get it just right. Me, I'd rather be riding than waiting.

Besides, if you really want a modern BMW that's been pretty much polished to perfection, I hear you can get a great deal on a K1200LT . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 14 Old May 1st, 2012, 11:40 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

After I bought my K1200LT I found this site & all that I was reading about was the bike falling over because it was top heavy. The Final Drive puking out oil. The shifter linkage breaking. The speedometer could stop working Etc Etc. I rode the piss out of that bike & it NEVER left me on the side of the road in 72,000 miles. I loved every mile I put on that bike. When they unveiled The K1600GT/GTL in October of 2010 I was one of the fist to put my money down (#32 in the USA) site unseen. June of 2011 I brought it home & now 11 month and 10,000 miles later I have no regrets. Yes it had a few MINOR problems that BMW took care of. Am I happy with my Choice? YES .

As said already ALL manufactures have problem with "New" models. We have a 2007 VW Jetta. First year on a larger platform then years before. My wife came home from work one day & when she turn off the key then tried to put the key back in the switch it would not go. We called our VM dealer & was told "Yes it was a known problem with the lock Cylinder & they see it a LOT" I called VW customer service & was told they have NEVER heard of the problem. $250. 00 later the car was fixed. When we went to pick it up another Jetta was in the shop for the same thing. The service writer told me it was the 4th or 5th one in the last few months.

Yesterday I got a call from a guy who's HD would not start. I went & picked it up to take him and the bike to the dealer. On the way to HD the guy said he was on vacation from the East coast & was on his way home. He said this is just "Part of the trip" & He will get it fixed and keep on riding.

So yes anything Mechanical can & will break, it is how you deal with it that makes a difference.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 14 Old May 1st, 2012, 7:57 pm

"Waiting for the bugs to be worked out" is a false hope. I bought a 2008 K1200GT assuming that by the THIRD model year they would have all those bugs worked out, NOT!!!! I found myself doing laps to my dealer for a never ending series of flaws.
It took 2 years to resolve all the issues.

So, based on my experience, I am inclined to buy a 1600GT now before things get worse. The only question is, grey or red?
post #6 of 14 Old May 8th, 2012, 5:00 am Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies guys and points taken. I should maybe have clarified that I am having fun at the moment on my late model and so far problem free LT - which is paid for!. So I am not too inclined to lash out big money on a K1600 and then have to work the issues out with the dealer. Hence my question - how long does it normally take for them to iron them all out?
And incidentally Katnapinn, I don't necessarily agree that 'All manufacturers have problems with new models'. I bought a Honda Pan European (STX1300A to you guys) new and it got nothing more than oil and filter changes and it never missed a beat.
post #7 of 14 Old May 8th, 2012, 5:48 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by highroamer
And incidentally Katnapinn, I don't necessarily agree that 'All manufacturers have problems with new models'. I bought a Honda Pan European (STX1300A to you guys) new and it got nothing more than oil and filter changes and it never missed a beat.
Now to be fair you are talking about your bike & not speaking for every STX 1300 out there. I just looked a 2 different STX1300 forums & both had threads about problems with the bikes as do every forum that I visit for every type of bike made. If I had found this forum (BMWLT.com) I NEVER would have bought a LT as it looks like they have nothing but trouble. In fact I had 5 years & 72K miles of trouble free riding on my LT. So your 1 bike was trouble free but that does not mean the ALL STX1300 are trouble free. I worked for about 15 years in the automotive industry Dealing with mostly New cars & they too had issues with most if not all "NEW" model.

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 14 Old May 8th, 2012, 6:38 am Thread Starter

Yes, true. Point accepted. However, as it happens, I have had 3 Hondas, all without problems, and they have a reputation - generally - of being bulletproof. I was hoping BMW, with it's claim of quality German engineering, would have hit the mark with the K1600. I'm just wondering how long it will take them to filter out the issues because I'd really be interested then.
post #9 of 14 Old May 8th, 2012, 9:35 am

Its all about the complexities of a modern bike, complying with emission requirements, safety mandates and accessories that customers want. Not to mention manufacturers touting newest and best. BMW,, cars and bikes, have a reputation for releasing products a little too soon and consumers become beta testers. I bought a 2006 K12GT-first year of the I4 in the GT-new gen. The problems after 4 years of ownership just got too much. 6 flash updates to the ECU, really clunky trans, fuel mapping,fuel gauge, crappy Gel Batteries, ignition ring failure,, on and on. Sold it and got a Triumph Sprint ST-nada problems. But, I wanted a bigger bike for those looong trips and recently got a '04 K12GT-really low mileage. Love it and so far any small issues had been fixed.Sometimes newer is not better.

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R

2000 R1100RT.
post #10 of 14 Old May 8th, 2012, 7:46 pm

I had a chrome side molding come off my saddlebag. Sent a pic to the dealer. He had it in and replaced it at my 600 mile service. That was about 1500 miles ago.

I am waiting for the backordered BMW Comm system to come in to put in my Schuberth. LaNetts is ready and waiting.

Besides that the only problem I have is wiping the grin off my face (and LaNett's) every time I/ we ride and afterwards for a good long while.

Norwood and LaNett Dennis
12 K1600 GTL
08 K1200LT (sold)
07 Ural Gear-Up Arctic (for sale to get a Spyder)
01 K1200LT (sold)

"Not all those who wander are Lost," J.R.R. Tolkien
post #11 of 14 Old May 8th, 2012, 10:23 pm

A slight modification to the original question. How regularly does BMW redesign their bikes. For the LT series I believe the 99 to 2001 are similar. 2002 to 2004 were similar, etc. Does BMW declare their release strategy or reasoning?

1996 Kinetic Pride 75cc - First motorized cycle at age 16.
2002 Yamaha Enticer 125cc - First brand new cycle bought from the first salary at age 20.
1984 Honda Shadow 1100cc
1999 BMW K1200LT
post #12 of 14 Old May 9th, 2012, 7:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrider
I had a chrome side molding come off my saddlebag. Sent a pic to the dealer. He had it in and replaced it at my 600 mile service. That was about 1500 miles ago.
I removed both of them in about 5 minutes. There wasn't even any sticky residue. Unlike the front K1600GTL /BMW Roundel that took an hour.

I heard that they were loose and I didn't like the look anyway. I did a chromeindectomy on my bike: wind deflector, handle bar ends, radiator hose cover, windshield covers and front plastic.

Without all of the chrome sticking out it runs faster too.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #13 of 14 Old May 9th, 2012, 7:20 am
Ric

Got to throw the BS flag on Honda not having troubles. I have a good friend who really liked the ST and he ended up buying two of them. The first one gave him trouble so he bought the second one hoping it would be better. It wasn't, it was worse. All makes of bikes have problems, some big some small. You spend your money and take your shot at getting a good one. The ST is a dated deign that's been around for a very long time so it's problems should have been sorted out 10 years ago. That said, it you wait long enough they may just stop production of the bike before you get a chance to own one. The real stages of the LT were 1999 to 2004, and 2005 to end of production.

Rick H.
post #14 of 14 Old May 9th, 2012, 9:12 am

I moved to the K1600GTL because it was time. After 2 LT's (an 01 in 01 and an 08 recently) with multiple clutch and final drive failures, I started to calculate the cost of frustration, loss of enjoyment being stuck in nowhere and $$$, especially since the warranty was out (and it was questionable whether an extended warranty would cover clutch or seal failures) and decided to test the GTL (which I wasn't salivating to get at first). I just never felt comfortable going too far from home on MY LT. The GTL, I don't even worry about it getting me home. In fact, I now realize how much time I put into thinking about whether we would get home (although it was somewhat subconscious) on the LT. Needless to say, we went home on a blue GTL and love it!

I'm not starting a flame on K12's. If yours works and is worry free, you made out. I had the final drive give on both of mine and seal/ clutch problems on both, as well- multiple times. The 4% crap is bs. 100% for me.

As far as problems with the GTL, I guess I'm fortunate (lucky) this time... or at least so far. The little quirks (less wind protection, stereo on a bike sounds like a stereo on a bike, eats tires too fast when you jump off the line trying to see how fast you can get to 60 or ???, etc) are not necessarily quirks. I like that I'm not in a bubble of still air (which is extremely hot and tires me out), and the wife likes it, too. She said on the LT (even with different windscreens, she got the bobble head effect. On the GTL, she has more wind presence passing her, but it doesn't knock her around... and she simply gets in line behind me and... the wind is gone. She also likes that the pillion is closer to the rider, which could be a problem for a larger woman, of course.

I can now say that the things you read do not apply to all of the GTL's, which was not the case on my LT's.

Norwood and LaNett Dennis
12 K1600 GTL
08 K1200LT (sold)
07 Ural Gear-Up Arctic (for sale to get a Spyder)
01 K1200LT (sold)

"Not all those who wander are Lost," J.R.R. Tolkien

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in