18K Sevice - Bad Valve - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Apr 30th, 2012, 9:37 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

18K Sevice - Bad Valve

During my 18K service on my GTL they discovered one of the intake valves was out of tolerance. When they went to install a shim the tech saw the valve had mushroomed on one and the bucket was also discolored side. I went to dealer today to actually see what the intake valve looked like. Its not obvious at first but when you look closer you can see the damage to both the valve and bucket. BMW approved the replacement for parts and labor under warranty which I expected and is good. Bad news is there are no valves in stock either in the US or the Fatherland. No estimate from BMW of how long till it gets here. Dealer seems to think one can be taken from the assembly plant and shipped to the US. I hope he is right and things dont get delayed much with Customs. BMW of Riverside has been great to deal with and they provided me their K1600 GTL Demo for a loaner so I can do my planned trip up the Coast Highway this weekend.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Growing Up is Optional
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 30th, 2012, 11:11 am

Re: 18K Sevice - Bad Valve

Sorry to hear that, Bro. Sure hope this don't turn out to be a trend with this motor. I guess time will tell.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #3 of 5 Old May 8th, 2012, 11:47 pm

Sorry to hear about your problem. Good thing is that you are protected in California by the Lemon Law. Basically it states if your vehicle is 5 visits for the same issue or 30 cumulative days that it is down during the warranty period, then they are obligated to repurchase your vehicle. I would first call BMW customer relations and advise them of your situation. They have ways of making things happen that the dealer cannot. Call your service department and advise them that you are calling BMW, and you like them but you don't want to be forgotten in the parts challenge. They have other options, though not as cost effective for them. They could replace the head, complete engine.
Bmw will not just lay down and give you your money back. You will need to retain an attorney that specializes in Lemon Law. Probably Google or referral. They will do all the dirty work. Some of that is to negotiate usage which they will try to charge you for. An attorney is invaluable and BMW will be required to pay for their fees as part of the settlement. Wait till the 30 days are up before contacting them. Even if you get your bike back at 32 days, follow through with it.
I am a service manager at a VW dealer and we go through this several times a month. Customer always wins.

post #4 of 5 Old May 9th, 2012, 3:53 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Question Re: 18K Sevice - Bad Valve

I received word from BMW NA last week. Part is supposed to be here this week. I remain optimistic that I'll have my ride back by the weekend?

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Growing Up is Optional
post #5 of 5 Old May 9th, 2012, 7:17 pm

Doug, it was great to see you in Cambria - and I suppose the good news here is that you got ro rack up all those round-trip miles on someone else's bike!

Do you get to keep the loaner until yours is repaired?

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in