Wind, and a long ride - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 12th, 2012, 4:20 pm Thread Starter

Wind, and a long ride

Just finished a 2800 mile ride where 1032 was completion of the Iron Butt ride, 18 hours. So now I am think my GTL needs a different wind screen (sorry working on to many MG's) and possibility a different seat. I found a lot of air buffeting from air coming from the lower wind screen where the mirrors attach. I am thinking if the screen could be at least 3 inches wider (1 1/2 inch on each side) at the base that this would cure problem. Anyone gone through this and replaced his screen? The seat is OK but could stand to be wider for my wider seat, but my airhawk will do for now. All things considered the bike handled great and it was a very enjoyable ride. Thanks Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 12th, 2012, 6:06 pm

Re: Wind, and a long ride

I've had good luck with a CalSci. They are making an extra wide now, too (I do not have that one)...you may want to look into that. Many, many, many posts about windshields over on the K1600 forum...and as you would expect, many, many, many different opinions.

But I am very happy with my CalSci.
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 12th, 2012, 6:32 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Cal-Sci Tall wind shield & an Airhawk seat cushion here Both keep me in the saddle for hours.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 12th, 2012, 9:51 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

The CalSci is the best GT/L screen out there that is available right now. If you call them, Mark will spend the time with you to make sure you get the right size.

AeroFlow is working on a GT/L screen as well, but nothing is shipping quite yet. But they are perfectionists, so when it's done, it will be awesome.

And another forum member, Garry, has made some hand wind guards that mount to the mirrors.

Those options should help you out a bit.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 9 Old Apr 13th, 2012, 7:03 am

I understand the aeroflow tends to buckle a bit at high speeds. I'm going to look at CalSci when the GTL arrives next week. The Russell seat looks darned good in pictures...haven't had opportunity to take one for a ride tho. I didn't like my last experience with Rick Mayer on my LT, but might still be interested in looking at what he has.

Reid

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #6 of 9 Old Apr 13th, 2012, 10:45 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
I understand the aeroflow tends to buckle a bit at high speeds.
I hadn't heard that at all.

Cee Bailey was using thinner plastic for a while which caused some problems, but I think they've since gone back to the heavier stuff. I moved away from them simply because I could get much smoother airflow and better protection from AeroFlow.

Since AeroFlow hasn't released a Slant/6 screen yet, we can only speculate based on their other products so far.

I did have some trouble with my AeroFlow screen cracking at the upper mounting hole on my Slant/4 GT at very high speeds, so I worked with AeroFlow to find a solution. We ended up using slightly larger washers on the upper holes to give a bit better support, and that worked for close to 100K miles at all speeds without any further incident.

Regarding seats, Russell is the one that consistently gets great reviews. The main complaints I hear are price (which is inline with other custom seat manufacturers), looks too big (subjective at best, and I value comfort over appearance), and that it sits you up higher than stock (which can be a problem for those of shorter inseam).

But in terms of actual all-day comfort, they always get great reviews.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 9 Old Apr 13th, 2012, 11:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
...and that it sits you up higher than stock (which can be a problem for those of shorter inseam).
I don't have a Russell, but have researched them quite a bit in anticipation of getting one. I believe the flat-footing problem is usually a function of the width of the seat, forcing your legs out wider at stops. For riders who are barely flat-footing as is, that can be an issue. The prevailing wisdom of those who have successfully coped says you learn to scoot a little forward to the narrower part of the seat at stops, and that solves the problem. I've even seen it referred to as the "Russell scoot" or some such name.

Fortunately, I do not have that challenge (I have many others however ). When I talked to the Russell folks about raising my seat a couple of inches, the response was something like "thank goodness"...they obviously have to deal with the inseam issue a lot.

Again, I don't have any first-hand experience yet, but this is what I've read. As always, YMMV.
post #8 of 9 Old Apr 13th, 2012, 1:35 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

The Russell is both a taller seat, due to their spring support system and better quality, thicker padding, and a wider seat, due to the additional support under the rider's thighs, which helps spread the rider's weight out over a larger area.

For maximum comfort, that's exactly what you want to do, but it does present challenges for those of shorter inseam.

It's also why BMW lowered the seat height on the '05 and up K12LT's, and offers the lowest (29.53" (750mm)) seat as standard on the GTL. They're simply trying to accommodate shorter riders so they can sell more bikes.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #9 of 9 Old Apr 14th, 2012, 3:09 pm

Garage

That was my biggest concern when I took a demo ride last year.
I immediately compared the LT windshield to that of the 1600. Stark difference and though it was only a 40 minute stint on suburban streets no highway I wondered how the GTL was considered for touring. Nice bike don't get me wrong but like the LT said "mile after Mile"
ride safe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in