Just traded my LT for GTL - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Apr 9th, 2012, 9:48 am Thread Starter

Just traded my LT for GTL

WOW! What difference in bikes. I always enjoyed my LT, but felt it was top heavy and awkward for me. My wife loved the back seat and was the first bike that she enjoyed riding longer distances on. She often had the feeling we were going to tip over on it when going slow. So I began to read more and look around. I enjoyed the BMW products, engineering, and performance better then my HD's. So I felt either the Gold Wing or GTL might meet my needs the best. So I decided on the GTL! What a great decision so far. I rode 200 miles over the weekend on various roads and the way it handled and performed was like no othe bike I've ever owned. It was nimble, responsive, stable and plenty of power. I am taking it easy at first until I get used to it, but I think this will be my best back I've ever owned. Enjoyed the Bluetooth in the Schubert helmet. Now I just have to convince my wife that the helmet will not make her claustrophobic. I haven't taken her riding yet, so we will see how she judges this one. She will definitely let me know. Thanks for all the advice and honest reports on here, It certainly helps make good decisions. I will be posting on progress. Now just have to decide about seat and windshield. Didn't get any but burn from seat though, but time will tell. I wools appreciate any more input.
Thanks bill Ragon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 9th, 2012, 10:39 am

Re: Just traded my LT for GTL

Congrats on your new GTL. I did the same thing a few months ago; traded in the LT for a GTL and I have never looked back. It is truly a beautiful bike. I have had to get used to a slightly different shift/throttle response but once I mastered that it was all good to go. I found the bike shifted a bit easier about 3800-4000 rpm, and generally liked being about 3200. And having two up, the bike resonds nicely. Most of the time I do not even know she is back there.
Enjoy the riding, and once again congrats.

Bob
2011 K1600 GTL
Victoria, BC
Canada
post #3 of 5 Old Apr 9th, 2012, 12:32 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Yeah, we know.

Enjoy the bike.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 9th, 2012, 2:56 pm

My wife missed her grab handles (insert joke here) from the LT; the ones on the GTL are pretty well hidden once the passenger seat is occupied. We looked at a couple of homemade mods to try to help, but before we could come up with anything she got used to the new setup and has announced that it is no longer an issue for her.

She didn't think she cared for the GTL seat at first, but after putting some hours on it, has decided that she likes it just fine. We're going to go with a Russell seat, mainly to give me some more leg room. But we could both live with the stock seat indefinitely just fine if we had to.

There definitely is a little more buffeting on the GTL than on the LT. I think it's a combination of the more sport-oriented fairing and windshield profile, and the higher pillion seat. We have gone to a CalSci shield and that has improved things a lot. The big win is when I have the windshield down so I can look over it, which I like to do in the curves; it is much improved compared to stock. With the shield up a little, it is even better.

We both find that we stay very fresh after hours in the saddle of the GTL. I stay fresher than with the LT; my wife says it is just as good for her as the LT was. I attribute most of the improvement to the incredible drivetrain. The effortless and utterly smooth power delivery just makes for an easy, low-vibration and low-stress trip. I love the information system and its integration with the GPS for things like fuel range. The whole package just simply rocks for transcontinental touring.

Then add in the fun factor and this bike leaves the LT in the dust. Nothing against the LT; it is a great bike and we loved ours. But this is a huge jump ahead.

Give it a little time for acclimatization, and I think you'll agree.
post #5 of 5 Old Apr 12th, 2012, 9:04 am Thread Starter

Thanks for replys. I did increase my rpm before shifting does make a difference. Still amazed how easy to maneuver. Still have lots to learn. Will put more miles before I decide on seat.thnx for all helpfully info
Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in