Reports of pulling to left - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Apr 9th, 2012, 7:03 am Thread Starter

Reports of pulling to left

I'm considering a GTL...yeah, got the bug to buy a new machine again. I'm liking the GTL, but some concerns: I'm seeing a few reports about it pulling hard to the left at highway speeds. This one concerns me more than some of the other complaints like leaking waterpump seals. Have you guys experienced this? It seems to be a fairly common complaint.

Thanks!

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Apr 9th, 2012, 7:12 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Reports of pulling to left

Most of what I've read is a slight lean to the left when you take your hands off of the handlebars. Not sure if I've read "hard pull."

I've had mine since July and was not aware of the drift until reading about it and then taking my hands off of the handlebars. It is so slight that, for me, it is a non issue. My K1200LT seemed to do the same thing and it was so slight that it could have been the crown of the road ( my SUV does the same thing) items in the side case or just my riding position.

I think for most it's a matter of, "Is the glass half full or half empty?"

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 9th, 2012, 7:22 am Thread Starter

Thanks, Dan. Having read many of your posts, I know you love that machine. I never had an issue with the LT pulling so am concerned a bit. Also, the GT/GTL being fairly new some of the bugs might not be worked out? Wondering if maintenance is the nightmare it was on the LT (ABS brake bleeding, etc.). I hated the high center of gravity of the LT and was considering an Ultra for that reason. I suppose I would probably need another seat from Redding, CA with the GTL, although I know you like stock fine.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 9th, 2012, 7:23 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Mine seem to pull a little left till I changed from the stock Metzler Z 8 tires to the Mich PR3 tires & the pull went away.
But as Danno stated it was so slight a pull I did not even notice it till I took both hands off the bars.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 7 Old Apr 9th, 2012, 7:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
Thanks, Dan. Having read many of your posts, I know you love that machine. I never had an issue with the LT pulling so am concerned a bit. Also, the GT/GTL being fairly new some of the bugs might not be worked out? Wondering if maintenance is the nightmare it was on the LT (ABS brake bleeding, etc.). I hated the high center of gravity of the LT and was considering an Ultra for that reason. I suppose I would probably need another seat from Redding, CA with the GTL, although I know you like stock fine.

Just take it for a long test ride. Maneuvering, you will think that you are on a Honda 350! The low center of gravity, compared to the K1200LT will amaze you. I was always concerned/scared/hesitated to do a U turn with my K1200LT and don't think twice about doing it on the K1600GTL. It is so different from the K1200LT.

The bugs are so minor that they are really just that, bugs...a lot about nothing.. No real issues yet and the bike has been out for about a year. The only thing that bothered me was the horn. I replaced mine and some people have convinced the dealer to do it as part of their delivery set up.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 7 Old Apr 9th, 2012, 9:35 am

PTTL or PTTR as it is called can usually be fixed by a simple alignment...

Usually caused by the forks not being quite right in the mounts...

But first.. Loosen the front axle bolt holding clamps and main nut...

Bounce the bike up and down a few times... Then tighten everything back up...

If that doesn't fix it a slight tweak at the tripple tree might be necessary.

Loosen the fork clamp bolts and tap the front tire with a big rubber hammer in the appropriate direction.. Tighten back up and test...Repeat till you get it straight..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #7 of 7 Old Apr 9th, 2012, 10:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
I'm considering a GTL...yeah, got the bug to buy a new machine again. I'm liking the GTL, but some concerns: I'm seeing a few reports about it pulling hard to the left at highway speeds. This one concerns me more than some of the other complaints like leaking waterpump seals. Have you guys experienced this? It seems to be a fairly common complaint.

Thanks!
I think you need to do a test ride and see for yourself. I've tried to see if mine pulls, but the slightest breeze on ME seems to make it wander ever so slightly one way or the other, not consistant. I pretty much keep at least one hand on the bars, and have noticed NO pull that way.

It is possible that a few might have had an issue with this, but try as hard as I can, I've not been able to verify it on mine.

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in