Meese is here . . . let the farkling begin. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old Apr 6th, 2012, 12:30 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Meese is here . . . let the farkling begin.

So, I rode the demo GTL at my local dealer a few months ago. The route was through a business district to the freeway, down a few exits, over a canyon road to the beach, through some beach traffic, and then along some back roads back to the dealer. All familiar roads to me, and a good mix of city/freeway/canyon/traffic.

The bike is lighter than my LT, and bigger than my GT, right about where I want it to be. And that motor . . .

Cruising down the freeway was fine, just as you'd expect from a BMW. It needs a custom seat and a windshield, again, just as you'd expect from a BMW . . .

Then I turned onto the tightest, twistiest canyon road that I could find, which runs over the Santa Monica Mountains and drops down into Malibu and the Pacific Coast Highway.

First impression: This thing handles the tight, twisty stuff as easily as my K13GT does. That's very good . . .

Second impression: I don't know why there's a shifter on this bike, as it just pulls hard in any gear . . .

With the mountain tamed, it was time to roll along the beach for a while. And grab a quick pic:

The bike remains effortless to ride, in any situation, and that motors just pulls and pulls. It really is a hybrid of my LT and my GT, with all the latest engine, suspension, and electronics technology that BMW could stuff in there.

It's pretty damn close to my perfect bike, expect maybe for price . . .

I briefly thought of getting lost, maybe knocking out a thousand miles or so to see how it really felt, but it was getting late and the demo had to go back to my waiting salesman. The salesman informed me that they needed to keep this demo until January, but maybe we could talk price and details around then . . .

Then things started picking up at work, life got crazy, all the usual. I got back on my LT, and have really been enjoying the comfort of this supreme touring machine. But the GTL still nagged at me . . .

Sometime in February, I was at the dealer picking up some parts for the LT, and I saw the silver GTL sitting there. I asked my salesman when they were gonna get a blue demo bike in, and he said, well, we have to sell this one first . . .

He said they needed to wait until the next demo bike was en-route, as they really didn't want to go even a few days without having a demo GTL available. So we agreed that March would be a good time for him, as well as for me, as I would just be finishing up a big work project.

So I rode the LT back up to my customer in Oregon to finish that job. And then got an email from my sales guy a couple of days later saying "You're GTL is ready. When do you want to pick it up?"

"Um, next month, like we agreed."

"Oh, OK, I'll just hold onto it for you then."

It was a long month . . .

But March rolled around, my work project got finished up, and I rode the LT home, taking the scenic coast route and enjoying my last real ride on the LT. Now I didn't ride directly to the dealer, as after being away for so long I had a few things at home that needed taking care of. But I was distracted, as you can imagine. After a day or two, my wife looked at me and said "Just go get it already."

So I did.

Now, in a happy coincidence, a friend had just told me about some buddies of his renting a local track for the day. Hmm . . .

So this is the new bike, less than 24 hours after signing and riding it home:

Had to get it broken in properly, and get the dirt scraped off the bottom of the foot pegs . . .

Farkels are pretty minimal so far, as this bike really does have everything included.

I knew from my demo ride that the GTL seat was way too low for me, and that I'd need to swap to the taller two-piece GT seats. Fortunately, I came across a deal on some GT seats that had already been reworked by Russell, so those went on immediately. I also got a good deal on a BMW Nav IV. And I need to go see Paige at AeroFlow to see how his GTL screen prototypes are coming along . . .

The next project is to turn it into a true LD bike, a GTLD if you will. That will include heated gear controllers, tank bag, multiple GPS units, hydration system, and of course, a fuel cell. I've got some ideas, and a few sketches already . . .

But in the mean time, I'm too busy just putting the miles on.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old Apr 6th, 2012, 1:23 pm

Re: Meese is here . . . let the farkling begin.

I pick mine up tomorrow!

Nathan Coe
K1600GLT
R1200GSA
Orem Utah

post #3 of 36 Old Apr 6th, 2012, 1:28 pm

Garage

Congratulations...I knew it would not be long before you were back on a GT or GTL.

post #4 of 36 Old Apr 6th, 2012, 3:00 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage

Honestly, the plan was to rebuild the K13GT and ride it for another year or so, then pick up a GTL later.

But when the demo came up at a good price, and the GT still isn't rebuilt yet, I figured why wait?

I do want to thank all the other /6 riders out there for working out the initial teething bugs, and for doing all the research on the various farkles available. I have a lot of reading up to do . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 36 Old Apr 6th, 2012, 3:40 pm

Good for you. They are amazing bikes.

Greg
2011 R1200RT (sold)
2012 K1600GTL
post #6 of 36 Old Apr 6th, 2012, 3:50 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage

Agreed.

I've put 10,000 miles on the '02 LT since August, and I've really been enjoying the ride.

But the /6 bikes truly are a generation ahead of where the LT was a decade ago.

Has anyone gotten one of these up to 100K miles yet?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #7 of 36 Old Apr 6th, 2012, 4:55 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I kinda figured that was the path you were going down with some of your post on the bike. I'm stuck on the LT's for awhile. I have two that run & a third for parts. It will be interesting to see your long distance set up on your new ride.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #8 of 36 Old Apr 6th, 2012, 5:21 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Congrats Ken. I guess this means you WILL NOT Need to use mine at CCR.

Stevie Shreeve
post #9 of 36 Old Apr 6th, 2012, 5:40 pm

Ken, congratulations my left coast friend!

I may ride my '03 LT for another year or so...........................then let the shopping begin!

.............................lucky guy

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #10 of 36 Old Apr 6th, 2012, 6:35 pm

Have you put on the Coyote Whistles yet? Or do you plan to put on a couple of radar guided M-16's?

Can't wait to see how you do in the next IBR!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #11 of 36 Old Apr 6th, 2012, 10:21 pm

Just two words: Dog. Meat.

Oh, does that make me sound jealous??

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #12 of 36 Old Apr 7th, 2012, 12:32 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Honestly, the plan was to rebuild the K13GT and ride it for another year or so, then pick up a GTL later.

But when the demo came up at a good price, and the GT still isn't rebuilt yet, I figured why wait?

I do want to thank all the other /6 riders out there for working out the initial teething bugs, and for doing all the research on the various farkles available. I have a lot of reading up to do . . .
Ken,
I was unaware the K13GT was a rebuild option...missed that part somehow.
post #13 of 36 Old Apr 7th, 2012, 1:04 am

Talking Re: Meese is here . . . let the farkling begin.

Looks great Ken! By the way, how's my Nav IV doing?

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #14 of 36 Old Apr 7th, 2012, 9:23 am
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up Re: Meese is here . . . let the farkling begin.

Congrats Ken!
I was wondering how long it would take before you'd pull the trigger!
Is there a newer and more advanced model of mailbox for your wet gear available?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #15 of 36 Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:37 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Congrats Ken. I guess this means you WILL NOT Need to use mine at CCR.
I dunno, maybe mine'll be all worn out by then . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #16 of 36 Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:42 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Have you put on the Coyote Whistles yet? Or do you plan to put on a couple of radar guided M-16's?
With that exposed Slant/6 engine, it's much easier to make accessory mounts.

BMW's CES (Coyote Eradication System) option

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Can't wait to see how you do in the next IBR!
Yeah, me, too.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #17 of 36 Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:43 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
Just two words: Dog. Meat.
No, that's what I pulled out of the radiator on the old bike . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #18 of 36 Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:43 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCoe
I pick mine up tomorrow!
Congrats, Nathan. You're gonna love it!

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #19 of 36 Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:47 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
I kinda figured that was the path you were going down with some of your post on the bike.
Yeah, I don't like to be too obvious . . .

Quote:
I'm stuck on the LT's for awhile.
The LT is still an awfully fine motorcycle. Lots of great miles & memories to be had on them.

Quote:
It will be interesting to see your long distance set up on your new ride.
I have a few ideas . . . I just need to get up to my buddy's shop and start playing with all the power tools . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #20 of 36 Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:52 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick2000
I was unaware the K13GT was a rebuild option...missed that part somehow.
I never hit anything hard, just a coyote, then slid down the road. So most of the damage was "cosmetic", that is, to the outer fairings and covers. The K13GT still starts right up and runs beautifully, and all the suspension and wheels are perfectly straight.

Hell, I could've bent the handlebar back up, and continued riding the bike . . . if I didn't go for that little helicopter ride instead.

I have sourced all the parts needed to rebuild the GT, all of which were bought on eBay or else at a significant discount. Now all I need is the time . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #21 of 36 Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:53 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Looks great Ken!
Feels pretty good, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
By the way, how's my Nav IV doing?
Works great in there. Thanks again, John.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #22 of 36 Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:55 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
I was wondering how long it would take before you'd pull the trigger!
I was going to wait until next year, but then I thought, the hell with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Is there a newer and more advanced model of mailbox for your wet gear available?
I have a few ideas I'm researching . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #23 of 36 Old Apr 7th, 2012, 11:10 am

Yeah!!!

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #24 of 36 Old Apr 7th, 2012, 6:00 pm

Congrats Ken!
I'm right there with you. Coming from an '03 and '09 LT's, this is the bike that I was hoping BMW would make. Lighter, more "GT" and that motor.....gawd I love it!

Was out your way last year - out to Oxnard, up to Laguna Seca for the MotoGP race and then up NoCal to Oregon and back to Tahoe/Mammoth and back to AZ. The 33 north out of Oxnard is, as you know, a fun stretch of road - where this pic was taken.

I'll be doing that run again this July for the race.

Congrats again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-23.jpg
Views:	7811
Size:	417.8 KB
ID:	34838  
post #25 of 36 Old Apr 7th, 2012, 6:54 pm

Talking Re: Meese is here . . . let the farkling begin.

Glad to hear it Ken. Plus the 660 is a better fit for my situation anyway, so it is like you said, a win-win case for everyone! And you're welcome by the way!

John
Quote:
Feels pretty good, too.

Works great in there. Thanks again, John.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #26 of 36 Old Apr 7th, 2012, 6:58 pm

Garage

Quote:

Hell, I could've bent the handlebar back up, and continued riding the bike . . . if I didn't go for that little helicopter ride instead.

The first part of this sentence has visualizing you arriving at the final IBA checkpoint with duct tape and Coyote meat all over the poor K13GT.
post #27 of 36 Old Apr 7th, 2012, 8:17 pm

Congrats on the new bike Ken ! She's a Beauty.....

I'm sure a couple of those stickers from Aerostich are in order....

Farkle: Night Vision/Infra-Red Camera....You can get a Flir from Northern Tool Co.

That's what I'm thinking...

Good Luck and have fun...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #28 of 36 Old Apr 7th, 2012, 9:46 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage

I've seen the FLIR Infrared setup before. The guy who adapted it to bikes lives near me, and it was my local dealer who did the first install.

Kinda pricey, but still cheaper than the hospital bills . . .

The only problem is that it was still daylight when I had my coyote moment. I swear I saw roller skates and a jet pack that said Acme.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #29 of 36 Old Apr 8th, 2012, 1:32 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
The first part of this sentence has visualizing you arriving at the final IBA checkpoint with duct tape and Coyote meat all over the poor K13GT.
Trust me, if I was conscious, I would've gone for it . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #30 of 36 Old Apr 8th, 2012, 6:31 am

About time, you have some serious catching up to do, get to farkling!

I was out yesterday having way too much fun. I think it feels much more agile in the twisties than the old GT.

15 R1200RT - Ebony Metallic
09 F800GS
post #31 of 36 Old Apr 8th, 2012, 1:08 pm

Garage

Congrats Ken! Nice looking bike

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #32 of 36 Old Apr 8th, 2012, 5:32 pm

Good for you Ken! You will no doubt put those new headlights to good use.

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #33 of 36 Old Apr 9th, 2012, 5:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up Re: Meese is here . . . let the farkling begin.

Now that Ken has a K1600 - It's now official that BMW makes another great bike. I have only got 16K miles on mine so were still waiting for someone to really put some miles on. Ken should be able to give us a 100K report by CCR. I'll be due for my 18K service next month - figure Ken will have that much by then. So Ken when & where is the next tech day?

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory – Growing Up is Optional
post #34 of 36 Old Apr 9th, 2012, 7:31 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorchilla
Now that Ken has a K1600 - It's now official that BMW makes another great bike. I have only got 16K miles on mine so were still waiting for someone to really put some miles on. Ken should be able to give us a 100K report by CCR. I'll be due for my 18K service next month - figure Ken will have that much by then. So Ken when & where is the next tech day?
It's folks like Ken that precipitated BMW's decision to do away with the 3 year unlimited mileage warranty.
post #35 of 36 Old Apr 10th, 2012, 10:20 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
It's folks like Ken that precipitated BMW's decision to do away with the 3 year unlimited mileage warranty.
Yeah . . . extended warranty companies don't much like me, either . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #36 of 36 Old Apr 11th, 2012, 1:47 am

Garage

Quote:
Yeah . . . extended warranty companies don't much like me, either . . .
You and folks like you are the outliers ....they may not like you but in the big picture...nuff said.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in