Helmet matching the dark blue of the GTL - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Apr 5th, 2012, 2:29 pm Thread Starter

Helmet matching the dark blue of the GTL

Anytbody come across a good helmet that comes close to matching the color of an 2012 dark blue K1600gtl?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Apr 5th, 2012, 3:27 pm

Re: Helmet matching the dark blue of the GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch
Anytbody come across a good helmet that comes close to matching the color of an 2012 dark blue K1600gtl?
Light colored helmets are proven to be a lot safer.

Numerous places on the web confirm this.

My bike is Black Sapphire so I matched the silver trim.

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #3 of 25 Old Apr 5th, 2012, 3:55 pm Thread Starter

Yeah I know, the wife and I both have Silver ones now. Just curious if it's out there..

post #4 of 25 Old Apr 5th, 2012, 7:46 pm

Quote:
Yeah I know, the wife and I both have Silver ones now. Just curious if it's out there..
Probably have to custom paint it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 25 Old Apr 5th, 2012, 10:12 pm

I thought about matching a helmet to the blue bike colour then gave up. Went with an Arai Profile with black and grey that more matched my jacket and chaps. This is my opinion and please do not get offended as it is not my intention to upset anyone, but I have seen others who try and match a bike colour to a bike helmet and it kinda looks goofy. There just seems to be some sort of disconnect between the bike and the helmet unless you pay a lot and have the helmets custom painted. Even then.....Again, my humble opinion.

Bob
2011 K1600 GTL
Victoria, BC
Canada
post #6 of 25 Old Apr 6th, 2012, 8:48 am Thread Starter

Yeah I hear you, by the way took a ride a few years ago and ended up in Victoria, beautiful place. On my to do list again.
post #7 of 25 Old Apr 6th, 2012, 11:39 am

Quote:
Yeah I hear you, by the way took a ride a few years ago and ended up in Victoria, beautiful place. On my to do list again.
Victoria is beutiful, I am just down the sound in Seattle.

post #8 of 25 Old Apr 10th, 2012, 5:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have a dark anthracite C3 and it looks blue to me even thought not so much in the picture, though not as dark as the bike, not a clash:
C3 Anthracite

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #9 of 25 Old Apr 10th, 2012, 7:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-A
I have a dark anthracite C3 and it looks blue to me even thought not so much in the picture, though not as dark as the bike, not a clash:
C3 Anthracite
You colorblind?

post #10 of 25 Old Apr 10th, 2012, 7:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
You colorblind?
It could be the glasses.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #11 of 25 Old Apr 10th, 2012, 8:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-A
It could be the glasses.
Ya nothin' like a hit of windpane to turn those glasses to a kaleidescope and distort your perception of reality

post #12 of 25 Old Apr 11th, 2012, 12:31 pm Thread Starter

This is closehttp://www.araiamericas.com/default....d/diamond-blue
post #13 of 25 Old Apr 17th, 2012, 8:45 pm

What's a helmet?

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #14 of 25 Old Apr 18th, 2012, 1:41 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
What's a helmet?
It's that thing you wear on your head when you don't want your brains smeared all over the road. Those that don't have enough brains to wear one, generally don't need to.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 25 Old Apr 18th, 2012, 1:56 pm

I have the flat black C3 but because I've been riding a lot this spring, it's more the yellowish greenish color of bug guts right now. I'm leaving it that way for conspicuity purposes and it also matches the color of my bug guts colored K16GT. By the way, the red natural color of the bike blends much better with the really squishy ones.
post #16 of 25 Old Apr 18th, 2012, 8:07 pm Thread Starter

post #17 of 25 Old Apr 18th, 2012, 8:12 pm

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but;

Having a helmet that matches your bike is a lot like a moderately overweight couple wearing the same sweat pants and shirts.

It's right next to having a yipper dog on your lap while driving.

2011 RT

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

--Aldous Huxley
post #18 of 25 Old Apr 18th, 2012, 8:21 pm

Wink Re: Helmet matching the dark blue of the GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
It's that thing you wear on your head when you don't want your brains smeared all over the road. Those that don't have enough brains to wear one, generally don't need to.
Yeah...but then again helmets are good if you travel under 35 mph....at hiway speeds they're of questionable value.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #19 of 25 Old Apr 18th, 2012, 9:14 pm

Thank you, jzz. Thank you.
post #20 of 25 Old Apr 19th, 2012, 1:04 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Yeah...but then again helmets are good if you travel under 35 mph....at hiway speeds they're of questionable value.
Says who? Prove it, please.

I put my GT down at "highway speeds" and my helmet looked like it had been nailed with a power grinder all across the chin and up the side. Ripped the shield right off of it, too.

And yet my head was perfectly fine. In fact, every piece of armor I was wearing did its job and sacrificed itself to save me from a whole lot of pain and suffering.

So you may believe helmets and armor are of questionable value, but I know damn well that's just not true.

Then again, it's your head and skin, not mine . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #21 of 25 Old Apr 19th, 2012, 7:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Says who? Prove it, please.

I put my GT down at "highway speeds" and my helmet looked like it had been nailed with a power grinder all across the chin and up the side. Ripped the shield right off of it, too.

And yet my head was perfectly fine. In fact, every piece of armor I was wearing did its job and sacrificed itself to save me from a whole lot of pain and suffering.

So you may believe helmets and armor are of questionable value, but I know damn well that's just not true.

Then again, it's your head and skin, not mine . . .
Wow...that was quite an accident to survive. Glad you came through it ok. Actually, there was a very in-depth multi-page document written by a well known company that I've forgotten now (sorry, it was several years ago and I no longer have a copy). They presented a strong case and was used in several states by riders' groups in their case for elimination of helmet laws. I'll look through my old files again, but doubt I kept it. Unfortunately it didn't help our case when we went after the helmet laws in Nebraska when I lived there.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975

--H.H. Humphrey
post #22 of 25 Old Apr 19th, 2012, 8:13 am Thread Starter

well JZZ, I have a German Sheppard and a Cane Corso,certainly not lap dogs. Sorry my question about helmets makes me not as cool as you thou and no the wife and I don't wear matching outfits,thou I am slightly over weight
post #23 of 25 Old Apr 19th, 2012, 10:57 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Wow...that was quite an accident to survive. Glad you came through it ok.
Thanks. It was pretty intense.

You can find a study to prove or disprove pretty much any theory. And folks always tend to find the ones that support their beliefs, or else they just create one . . .

No, a helmet does not make you invincible. What it does do is significantly increase your chances of surviving a crash, at any speed. Just as full armor decreases your likelihood of getting massive road rash, or broken bones. That is not only blatantly obvious to anyone looking at it with an open mind, but it is proven to me since I've lived it myself, as have too many of my friends.

If you choose to ride without a helmet, then at least be honest and state that it is a choice you're making, with specific risks and consequences. But saying that wearing the gear just doesn't matter at all is simply false. That's probably why the study you mentioned was basically thrown out in Nebraska.

I deal with a lot of new riders who think that denim jeans qualify as proper riding gear. I try to provide evidence that it's not true (denim shreds very quickly on asphalt). Some of them listen, some don't. And invariably, a few of them will come back with serious road rash on their knees saying "Hey man, I guess you were right . . . "

And some of them will come back with zero road rash and a trashed pair of riding pants and just say "Thanks, man . . . "

You're welcome.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #24 of 25 Old Apr 19th, 2012, 11:13 am

Quote:
Right! That's why all of the road racing series have eliminated helmets, since those guys are almost always above 35 mph.

Are you freakin' kidding me? I'd put an emoticon here but this is so not funny there's not one that would convey my outrage at such a statement. This kind of idiocy will get people killed.

Sorry I'm not as tactful as Ken, but I take this stuff very personally.

Maybe you were being sarcastic, like my first sentence here. If so, sorry for the rant.
post #25 of 25 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 3:22 pm

Thumbs up Re: Helmet matching the dark blue of the GTL

BMW paint A-35

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in