Question for this group? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Mar 6th, 2012, 8:34 am Thread Starter

Question for this group?

I previously floated this question to the RT1200 group. Leaning toward the k1600gt for several reasons. One reason is the sound of the engine! Love that "turbine squeal", beaing a former USAF officer:

I'm 54 years old, 5'10,240lbs, and ride a Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive( which weighs 618lbs unloaded), and have ridden this since 2007, 24,000 miles. Never a drop, never an accident or incident. Often will ride all day at 80-100mph on this machine, often will go two-up.
Many years of scooter riding precede this on a honda 80cc scooter.Got my cycle license on that scooter in San Antonio, Texas in 1984 when in the Air Force.

I'm seriously loving the touring bikes, and am thinking of the RT1200 or possibly even the K1600GT to be my next bike. I took the MSF course last year, and found that shifting was not such a big deal, and passed on their 250cc Yamaha mini cruiser bike.
Does this group think I would be safe to proceed with purchasing either the RT1200 or the K1600 GT?
I have sat on both bikes in the showroom, and with the standard seat in the low position, I am easily able to flatfoot both bikes. The K1600GT "felt better" for some reason, and I can easily pop either bike up on the centerstand. I live in Northern PA and take weekend-long trips up to the Finger Lakes each weekend on my 618-lb "scooter" , the last one being the day after Christmas, 2011.
Since the relative cost of the two bike is not that big of an issue, I'd prefer to get the one which will make me smile the most!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Mar 6th, 2012, 9:13 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Question for this group?

If "Shifting " a bike is not an issue for you then either bike would serve you well. I would see If you could get a Test ride on both of them to really see how they feel to you. I have the GTL ,I came from a K1200LT & the K1600 is by far the best bike i've ever owned.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 39 Old Mar 6th, 2012, 10:04 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Take both bikes out for a test ride, then you'll know.

Seriously, both are fine bikes, with a slightly different focus.

The RT is light and nimble with that big opposed-twin throb.

The GT is cushy and nimble, with that silky-smooth Slant/6 motor.

Both are easily capable of cranking out long miles in blissful comfort, and playing hard on the twisty bits along the way.

You can't really go wrong either way, so it just comes down to which one fits you better. To find that out, you just need to ride them both.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 39 Old Mar 6th, 2012, 2:04 pm

+1 to both comments. The best bike is always the one that is best for you not someone else. That is why it is so important to test them both.
post #5 of 39 Old Mar 6th, 2012, 3:33 pm
Ric

I am going to agree with the previous answers to your question, but will add a few thoughts. You should have enough experience by now on your current bike to make an upward move if you will. The question you pose can only be answered by test riding both bikes. If you jump and buy one of them without riding both you will always wonder if you would have liked the other one better. I will also make this suggestion; don't test ride them just once. Try to take each out and then come back to the dealer for another test ride on each a few days later. By doing so you can let the first test ride "sink in" and then confirm what you think is THE bike for you. Hope this makes sense......

Rick H.
post #6 of 39 Old Mar 6th, 2012, 5:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My 00.02

Before buying my present K1600GTL, I owned a K1200LT and over 8 years, put 50,000 miles on it. I knew the K1200LT was for me after a 30 minute test ride. It was the best bike I had ever owned. I had second thoughts when I sold it.

Today, after 5,000 miles, I like the K1600GTL even better.

BUT.......

It took me over 1,000 miles to get comfortable on the K1600GTL! I sort of made the decision to get it based on my previous experiences with the K1200LT. I liked all of the Features of the K1600, but I was not comfortable with my riding abilities at first and really had to learn how to ride it correctly. This might sound a little confusing, but that is my actual experience. Riding the K1600 requires a lot of finesse to do it correctly and I really don't think that it is for everyone. The controls are sensitive and it took me a while to really understand how to ride her correctly and smoothly. One test ride might not be enough. I think after a few test rides, purchases are made on blind faith.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 39 Old Mar 6th, 2012, 5:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

After a 12 year hiatus from motorcycles I started riding again in 2001 on 2000 K1200LT which is a more difficult to handle at low speeds then either the RT or K1600. Either bike will work for you provided you take it easy till you get used to it. You can find a lot of good riding advice on this forum. If it were not for the fact we do two up touring I would have an RT. The K1600 will take a little more getting used to then the RT but both are very good. I could live with either but the K1600 is almost magical to ride.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Growing Up is Optional
post #8 of 39 Old Mar 7th, 2012, 12:10 pm

I also had a K1200 LT for a few years before I traded up to the K1600 GTL and have not regretted it. This bike has a lower center of gravity which makes it quite nimble for twists and turns while offering a lot of power to get where you need to go. At the end of the day you need to decide on the bike that makes you smile and one you are comfortable with. Some guys look at my bike and say it is too big. Everyone has their own style and tastes. I test rode a Triumph cruiser and I knew right away this was not the style for me. I also tes rode a Honda S1300 and same thing. I kept coming back to the touring bike that was comfortable and had all the accessories. There is not much that BMW has left out on this bike.
So yeah, test ride a few bikes of different makes and models. And then take 24 hours to think about them noting likes and dislikes and at the end of it go with the K1600 GTL . Just kidding, enjoy the shopping and have fun. You deserve it from one military retiree to another.

Cheers.

Bob
2011 K1600 GTL
Victoria, BC
Canada
post #9 of 39 Old Mar 9th, 2012, 5:47 am

I went from an '06RT to a GTL, I echo what everyone else said. Both bikes can do lots of miles in great comfort. They both have very similar gadgets. The obvious differences are weight, engine and frame. The mods I did to the RT I did to the GTL. It really does come down to which bike fits and feels better. If you can convince your dealer for an extended test ride (or several test rides with/without passenger if you will be riding with one) or better yet rent one for a weekend you should have no trouble determining which one is best for you. Bottom line you will not be getting a bad bike regardless of which one you choose.

Ute's Chauffeur
post #10 of 39 Old Mar 10th, 2012, 1:43 pm

I'll give you a similar, though expanded, answer as I gave you in the RT forum.

The base price difference between an RT and a GTL is about $6,000. For your money, you're getting 200 extra pounds, 40 more horsepower (the power/weight ratio is nearly identical), a wet clutch, a less powerful alternator, the option to have headlights that turn, and a larger bike.

The 6 cylinder is super smooth, and does a tremendous job of getting the K16's bulk to boogie. By comparison, the Boxer twin sounds and feels like a farm implement. Coming from Harleys, I appreciate that. The Boxer, with the buzz it sends through the bike, imparts some character to the bike that's missing in the K16. Similarly, the extra 200 pounds makes itself known when the road gets twisty. The RT will play all day in the mountains like a hyperactive puppy, throwing the K16 around is like trying to hustle a Bull Mastiff. Luggage space is nearly identical. Wind and weather management is better on the RT. Riding position seems better on the RT (that's subjective, of course). The Boxer will also be substantially easier to work on yourself.

I wanted a K16 badly. I had a huge insurance check from my wreck, so price really wasn't an issue. I went back and forth between the two bikes, and I simply couldn't find anything on the K16 to justify the additional money. To make matters worse, the K16 reminded me of a Toyota Camry; a perfectly competent machine that was nearly joyless to pilot.....A riding appliance in other words. The RT reminds me of why I love to ride every single time I get on it.

But, everyone likes different things, and everyone prioritizes things differently. There is no right or wrong answer here, only which bike you prefer. Test ride them both. They're markedly different machines.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650
post #11 of 39 Old Mar 10th, 2012, 3:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Train
To make matters worse, the K16 reminded me of a Toyota Camry; a perfectly competent machine that was nearly joyless to pilot.....A riding appliance in other words. The RT reminds me of why I love to ride every single time I get on it.
Your price comparison is valid, but the Toyota Camry analogy is little off the mark. You could have at least related it to a Porsche Cayenne. Also, I believe you are the first one to describe the K1600 as a perfectly competent machine that was nearly joyless to pilot. I acknowledge the RT is a great machine, but I do think you dont fully appreciate the K1600. BTW I would be happy with either bike but the GTL suits my needs better!

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Growing Up is Optional

Last edited by katnapinn; Mar 10th, 2012 at 6:01 pm.
post #12 of 39 Old Mar 10th, 2012, 5:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorchilla
Quote:
To make matters worse, the K16 reminded me of a Toyota Camry; a perfectly competent machine that was nearly joyless to pilot.....A riding appliance in other words. The RT reminds me of why I love to ride every single time I get on it.
Your price comparison is valid, but the Toyota Camry analogy is little off the mark. You could have at least related it to a Porsche Cayenne. Also, I believe you are the first one to describe the K1600 as a perfectly competent machine that was nearly joyless to pilot. I acknowledge the RT is a great machine, but I do think you dont fully appreciate the K1600. BTW I would be happy with either bike but the GTL suits my needs better!
As I said, different strokes. You like what you like and I like what I like. Neither of us are wrong.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650
post #13 of 39 Old Mar 10th, 2012, 7:49 pm
Ric

Wow 05Train: Joyless to pilot.....hmmmm. I more than anyone realize different riders have different needs in a motorcycle, but "joyless to pilot"??? I wonder what you were really looking for in the 1600. I could have believed a lot of describtions but joyless the 1600 is definitely NOT! My son has a 1200RT and I have spent many hours on it. I initially rode it as a comparision with my 1200LT. The LT won hands down in comfort and speed but slightly less in handling. When I compared the RT to the 1600 it was like comparing a Cessna to a Lear jet. If the GTL takes second place to the RT it is only by a fraction of an inch in handling and I mean a fraction. The RT may be able to run the inside of a curve better than a 1600 but the 1600 will come out of the turn faster with the right rider. Don't get me wrong, I like the RT, but it is NO 1600 and a 1600 is not by any stretch "joyless". I somehow don't think you were looking in the right places for the joy of riding a 1600. Just my opinion.....

Rick H.
post #14 of 39 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 1:17 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Take it easy, guys. He said the GTL isn't for him, he didn't say that it isn't the right bike for you or anyone else.

Quote:
The 6 cylinder is super smooth, and does a tremendous job of getting the K16's bulk to boogie. By comparison, the Boxer twin sounds and feels like a farm implement. Coming from Harleys, I appreciate that. The Boxer, with the buzz it sends through the bike, imparts some character to the bike that's missing in the K16.
And there's the difference. I've ridden RT's, and the buzz that he calls "character", I simply find annoying. That doesn't mean it's bad or wrong, it just means that I'm not a Boxer kind of guy.

And that's why we all have so many great bikes to choose from, so we can each find one that fits us and how we ride . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 39 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 9:18 am

Hey Ken have you been on a K1600 yet? Want to take mine for a spin in Duluth? Sammie & I will be busy one day up there that I know of & will not be riding that day.

BTW I agree that "Joyless" does describe my K1600. Hell even when I rode a 1500 Goldwing I would not even call it "Joyless" . "Boring" maybe but not Joyless.

Stevie Shreeve
post #16 of 39 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 9:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Take it easy, guys. He said the GTL isn't for him, he didn't say that it isn't the right bike for you or anyone else.

Quote:
The 6 cylinder is super smooth, and does a tremendous job of getting the K16's bulk to boogie. By comparison, the Boxer twin sounds and feels like a farm implement. Coming from Harleys, I appreciate that. The Boxer, with the buzz it sends through the bike, imparts some character to the bike that's missing in the K16.
And there's the difference. I've ridden RT's, and the buzz that he calls "character", I simply find annoying. That doesn't mean it's bad or wrong, it just means that I'm not a Boxer kind of guy.

And that's why we all have so many great bikes to choose from, so we can each find one that fits us and how we ride . . .
Ohgoshyes, I'm not judging anyone's ride, I'm just not at that stage of life where a huge, heavy touring bike is what moves me. The K16s are massively competent bikes, but they don't speak to me. Hence the Camry comparison. Hell, the Gold Wing too for that matter. At some point in the future, they might, but right now, the RT is about as close to perfect for me as I think I'll find.

The OP's looking for advice and opinions. My advice to him is to ride both bikes and buy the one that speaks to him, and go in armed with as many varied opinions as possible. Bottom line though is that all this stuff is subjective.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650
post #17 of 39 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 11:45 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
My advice to him is to ride both bikes and buy the one that speaks to him, and go in armed with as many varied opinions as possible. Bottom line though is that all this stuff is subjective.
Exactly. Which is why my original post said "Take both bikes out for a test ride, then you'll know."

It's all good . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #18 of 39 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 11:29 am Thread Starter

Cool Re: Question for this group?

I had dinner this weekend with a BMW owner from Rochester, NY. He has owned "12 BMW bikes over the last 10 years" . surprised he's not running this forum or even ON it for that matter.
ANYHOO...He maintains that the 1600 is just "way too much bike for me" ,and that its power upon throttle twist will cause me to have wheelspin, and an immediate accident because it is " more than I'm prepared to handle".
I WAS going to keep it in the rain mode until I got used to it, but he maintains I'm an accident waiting to happen.
From all I've read, and from this august group, I've determined that all should be well for my first test drive. ( I have to budget some time to drive to a dealer several hours away and DO THIS soon.)

Any thoughts?
post #19 of 39 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 2:50 pm
Ric

Try to maintain an even keel until you take it for a 1600 for a test ride, but if you are at all like me you will need a least two rides to make the decision one way or another. One test ride just isn't enough and left ME with more questions than answers. Good Luck!!!
Rick H.
post #20 of 39 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 12:02 pm

I test rode my dealer's demo while I was waiting for my bike to arrive and I started out in "Rain" mode just to get a feel for the bike. Within a couple of miles I was in "Dynamic", and that's where I ride 100% of the time (unless it's raining).

I let a friend take mine out for a spin last fall, and started him out in Rain as well. When he came back 45 minutes later he was in Dynamic and had a huge $hit-eating grin on his face. Apparently he didn't leave it in Rain very long either!

'12 K1600GTL - Mineral Silver
post #21 of 39 Old Apr 7th, 2012, 7:25 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: Question for this group?

TEST-RODE both the RT1200 and the K1600GTL today at Velocity Cycles in Mechanicsburg, Pa. Have to say, after 1 hour on the RT and 2 hours on the K1600, the absolutely clear next bike is the K1600. What I like is the sound, the feel, the ability to not have to worry (so much) what gear you are in. Near the end, I began giving it throttle on twisties, and felt very comfortable in traffic.
Weight was not an issue. Never thought about it once.
Tried changing the heated seats and grips settings and radio while on the fly with no problem.
Nothing negative about the RT1200, but between the two bikes, I felt clearly as if it was "old
technology" by comparison. The responsiveness of the 1600 starting from a dead stop on an uphill grade was superior.
Despite flying around the hills in Central Pa from 0-75 mph
for 2 hours, not once did the tachometer go above 4000.
There is no doubt this bike had power to spare under any scenario .
post #22 of 39 Old Apr 7th, 2012, 7:44 pm Thread Starter

Additionally, both bikes handled well in the mountainous curves, but I felt I could "punch" the K1600GTL through the curves with a feel much more like my Burgman 650 Executive, but "on steroids" for sure!
post #23 of 39 Old Apr 8th, 2012, 6:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc
Despite flying around the hills in Central Pa from 0-75 mph
for 2 hours, not once did the tachometer go above 4000.
There is no doubt this bike had power to spare under any scenario .
Hey Doc
If you never got above 4000 RPM then you have NO IDEA just how much fun this bike can be. The K16 really comes alive over 5000 RPM. It's like two totally different bikes at the different RPM ranges.
Under 4000 the bike is GREAT
Over 4000 RPM the bike is "HOLY CRAP"

Stevie Shreeve
post #24 of 39 Old Apr 8th, 2012, 10:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Hey Doc
If you never got above 4000 RPM then you have NO IDEA just how much fun this bike can be. The K16 really comes alive over 5000 RPM. It's like two totally different bikes at the different RPM ranges.
Under 4000 the bike is GREAT
Over 4000 RPM the bike is "HOLY CRAP"

Over 5000 RPM, it's "hang on to those bars old feller." On an RT I never got the sense that I might be blown off the back by the throttle. There is a price you pay for that "Vroom," in fuel and tires, but one I provide willingly.
post #25 of 39 Old Apr 10th, 2012, 11:39 am Thread Starter

I've had a few days since the test-ride to fully digest what happened on Saturday. Although I can afford a k1600gtl,I'm trying to come up with an answer to the question:
"Why do I NEED this motorcycle now?"
My Burgman 650 Executive is currently running very well, and I am planning many trips on it, the first of which will be to Syracuse this coming weekend.
What have all of you fellows used as arguing points to your SO to answer that question?
post #26 of 39 Old Apr 10th, 2012, 12:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc
I've had a few days since the test-ride to fully digest what happened on Saturday. Although I can afford a k1600gtl,I'm trying to come up with an answer to the question:
"Why do I NEED this motorcycle now?"
My Burgman 650 Executive is currently running very well, and I am planning many trips on it, the first of which will be to Syracuse this coming weekend.
What have all of you fellows used as arguing points to your SO to answer that question?

No body NEEDS a motorcycle. You get what you want.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #27 of 39 Old Apr 10th, 2012, 4:37 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Take the Burgman on your trip this weekend. When you get back, reflect on the trip and whether you enjoyed it as is, or whether you just couldn't get that sweet 6 out of your head, even while riding the Old Familiar.

Then you'll know.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #28 of 39 Old Apr 10th, 2012, 5:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have been reading this thread with interest as my Goldwing is hopefully exiting stage left on Saturday, and I have been tempted to test the K1600.

Truth is I am afraid of the outcome.

Dan-A
-----> BMW MOA # 137114
HDDC

2013 R1200GS LC
2009 HD XR1200 Sportster
post #29 of 39 Old Apr 10th, 2012, 6:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-A
I have been reading this thread with interest as my Goldwing is hopefully exiting stage left on Saturday, and I have been tempted to test the K1600.

Truth is I am afraid of the outcome.
Well let me be the first to welcome you to the K1600 family.

Stevie Shreeve
post #30 of 39 Old Apr 10th, 2012, 8:23 pm Thread Starter

Impressive to me was how easy it was to shift and ride this bike, coming right off my scooter !
post #31 of 39 Old Apr 11th, 2012, 6:15 am

Hi;

I'll add my two cents to this conversation.... I have had both now... My last bike was an R1200RT which I traded in for the K1600GT... my personal preference is the GT.

The big difference in my mind is the smoothness of the GT and that 6 cylinder motor... I like the audio system but find I do not use all the other gadgetry which the bike comes with. The extra power is really cool and I suspect if you are like me, you will use it from time to time. The RT is lighter and theoretically more nimble, but for the kind of riding I do, the GT is more than adequate. My biggest turnoff (now this is just me) with the RT was the effect of the motor torque at low speed; i.e. the twisting which you feel based upon the rotation of the engine.. It's no big deal but in contrast I like the lack of this effect with the six cylinder.

My GT has a few quirks too... Took about 1000 miles to get the clutch worn in.. Prior to that, starting off (clutch/throttle control) could be interesting... I also get a bit of clutch chatter when I downshift.. that seems to be going away however... Also, like my old KRT, there a bit of vibration in the right grip which can be annoying after a while, but hey, that is BMW.

On the whole, I am very satisfied with the GT and am happy that I did the trade up...

Have fun, and good luck!

Joel

Joel Talka
Glen Gardner, NJ

2007 K1200LT - Blue
1978 Corvette Pace Car Replica - ZZ383/M22
post #32 of 39 Old Apr 12th, 2012, 6:25 am

My wife rides with me about 50% of my miles and on all my long trips. She enjoys being a passenger and knows how much I enjoy the bike. She also agrees that a MC is a completely superfluous purchase and is done for its sheer pleasure so the basic rule is if we can afford it and you want it then do it. I will research stuff to death but some purchases for the bike are done simply because I want it (like the Remus exhausts I just put on).

So the bottom line you really can't think too hard about justifying the purchase of a motorcycle from anything more than it makes me feel good point of view. IMO there is no other reason to by a motorized vehicle that falls over when it is stopped unless you hold it up. Don't think too hard about it just enjoy it.

Ute's Chauffeur
post #33 of 39 Old Apr 17th, 2012, 6:35 pm Thread Starter

Just pulled the trigger to get a blue one, with navigation and a free white LED top box light. Dealer will give 10% off navigation system and throw in the first 600 mile check up for free. Either going to sell my Burgman to a friend or trade it in by Saturday .
post #34 of 39 Old Apr 17th, 2012, 7:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Congratulations.... Next:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67550

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #35 of 39 Old Apr 19th, 2012, 3:13 pm Thread Starter

Pickup date has been moved up to tomorrow at 4pm for the Blue k1600GTL.
post #36 of 39 Old Apr 19th, 2012, 8:02 pm

Be careful man, this is a rocket.
post #37 of 39 Old Apr 21st, 2012, 7:34 pm Thread Starter

Not to worry. I've got 150 miles on it since yesterday, have practiced low-speed maneuvers in a parking lot, and have taken my wife on it out this afternoon for an hour. I'm the most careful person I know!
post #38 of 39 Old Apr 21st, 2012, 10:37 pm

You're going to love this thing. Great bike.
post #39 of 39 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 10:10 am

I went through a similar internal conflict when choosing the bike that suited my interests. I can afford anything but that doesn't mean I like to waste money so I looked hard at bikes that cost half as much (VFR1200, C14, etc). It's not a matter of what you need, it's what turns you on and keeps the excitement for jumping out on it month after month and year after year. There's no doubt in my mind that my K16GT is at the pinnacle of what fun on two wheels is about. It's got all day comfort for my 150 mile ride to/from the mountains and with the push of a few option buttons, it unleashes the heart of a hooligan bike in the twisties. Is it flickable? Not quite but neither is an RT by that standard. It's not a sub-400 lb crotch rocket but it'll make you forget why you might have ever wanted one. A couple of weekends ago, I rode 150 miles to the mountains of West Virginia and then put another 250 miles on it that day in some of the best and most technical roads in the state. At the end of the day I got off it fresh and disappointed that the daylight had failed us. The next day, another 250 miles in some tight technical roads and then 150 miles home.

Here's just one moment in time that captures what this bike brings to the table. There was a point early in day two of the ride and after the previous day I'm really starting to feel connected to the bike and the road and a lot of the rust has been knocked off my "game." I'm listening to amped up tunes on BT from my iPod and because it's still only up to 50 degrees I'm feeling the heat of my Gerbings jacket, gloves, saddle and grip warmers. I've just spent the last 15 miles getting the tires up to temp and I'm on the most technical track we rode all weekend with switch backs and off camber turns and bowls galore. Just as the music kicks in hard I come upon a "slow 15 mph" turn where the road folds back on itself to an uphill short straight. There's a bit of pea gravel mid turn so I've slowed down to a 2nd gear approach to the late apex. As I'm already on the gas leaving the turn I can see a few hundred yards up the road to a "slow 35 mph" entry sign which gives me the green light to whack the throttle as I'm standing the bike up. The front tire gets light only momentarily until the traction control kicks in to put all the power it can down on the ground and in a couple of seconds I'm leading with my other shoulder into an uphill tight cambered sweeper in the middle of a power band as wide as the Grand Canyon.

This is but one of hundreds, maybe thousands of such moments from just a two day ride but I'll be wearing that grin for days. All day, all weather comfort with the soul of a mischief maker. Anyone still sitting on the fence about buying this bike needs only a day out in the mountains on it to make up their mind if this kind of riding is for you - because it won't be because of any weakness in the bike that you don't buy it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in