Russell Seats - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 3:48 pm Thread Starter

Russell Seats

I am 6'3" and 240 lb. I just picked up my Russell Seats for both the passenger and driver and installed them before taking them out for a ride. Cruised for two hours without getting off the bike and felt great. This is my 2nd Russell (the other is on my GSA). It is so much better then the stock that there is just no comparison...at least for my butt. The seat is built up about an inch so with a Verholen peg relo kit it is very comfortable for a big guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 7:55 pm

Re: Russell Seats

yeah, im 6.3 was wondering about russell seat thanks for post
post #3 of 16 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 9:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster7
yeah, im 6.3 was wondering about russell seat thanks for post
I have a GT two piece Russell Daylong Saddle with about two months riding time on the riders seat and less than an hour on the passenger seat that I would like to sell. Both seats done in leather with vinyl sides. The seat is too tall for my 5'10" frame and 30" inseam. I now have a one piece GTL Lowboy modified by Russell and it is super.

Don S

post #4 of 16 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 10:03 pm

I'm another 6'3", 240 who likes Russell Seats.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 10:59 pm

+1 on the Russell.

Ya know how it is at the end of a 500 or 600 mile day? You just want to sit down and have a cold beer. That chair feels just so damn fine after riding all day and the beer tastes great.

Sitting on a Russell is like sitting on that chair.

--Bob

2011 RT

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

--Aldous Huxley
post #6 of 16 Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 10:13 am

+1 on the Russell

I've set on a lot of chairs that weren't as comfortable.

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #7 of 16 Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 11:15 am

Totally agree on the Russell.

Rode 960 miles with out a problem. Best money spent imho...

Why am I here and what day is it??
post #8 of 16 Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 2:27 pm

I have a ride-in scheduled for a Russell for my GTL. It's great to hear so much enthusiasm for the product. One of my goals is to get a little more seat height for some extra leg room and a better posture.

Any advice as to material, pattern,...anything else?

I know a lot of It is just preference. But things like: how do different meterials and patterns perform in heat and cold? That kind of thing.

Did any/all of you get the pillion seat redone? And the back pad on the trunk?

Thanks in advance for the help.
post #9 of 16 Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 4:58 pm

6'2" and the Russell seat has ruined me for anything else.
post #10 of 16 Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 7:10 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzzmusician
+1 on the Russell. Ya know how it is at the end of a 500 or 600 mile day?
500 or 600 mile day. Sometimes I do that many miles after breakfast just for the heck of it with my stock BMW seat on my LT.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #11 of 16 Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 7:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
500 or 600 mile day. Sometimes I do that many miles after breakfast just for the heck of it with my stock BMW seat on my LT.
Me too. Except it's 100-150 miles until a breakfast stop and I finally gave in with the tired and sore ass thing and got a good saddle.

2011 RT

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

--Aldous Huxley
post #12 of 16 Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 7:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmith59
I have a GT two piece Russell Daylong Saddle with about two months riding time on the riders seat and less than an hour on the passenger seat that I would like to sell. Both seats done in leather with vinyl sides. The seat is too tall for my 5'10" frame and 30" inseam. I now have a one piece GTL Lowboy modified by Russell and it is super.

Don S
Don I sent you a pm on the seat.

So many toys out there, so little time!
2015 BMW K1600GTLE

2008 Piaggio 250 Betty's toy
2001 HD FLSTSI
1957 BMW R60

IBA #26695
RA #39456
MOA #150880

Always looking for more...
post #13 of 16 Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 9:20 pm

6'2" 220lbs and really like my russell seat. In all honesty tho, I have to stop every 200 miles just to stretch and give my arse a break. Think I would have to do that no matter the seat.

GO HOGS!

2010 R1200RT
post #14 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 6:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE
I have a ride-in scheduled for a Russell for my GTL. It's great to hear so much enthusiasm for the product. One of my goals is to get a little more seat height for some extra leg room and a better posture.

Any advice as to material, pattern,...anything else?

I know a lot of It is just preference. But things like: how do different meterials and patterns perform in heat and cold? That kind of thing.

Did any/all of you get the pillion seat redone? And the back pad on the trunk?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jim, I'm 6'3" 205lbs with a 35" inseam. Asked for an extra 2" added to the GTL one piece high seat. There was issue with the seat (more on that later) so when I sent it back, asked to for 1" to be removed (so net only 1" higher than what would have been produced from the stock GTL high seat). Now the fit is perfect.

I've always opted for all-leather. I just like leather and it wears well. Had the backrest installed. Never use it except for long trips (over 400 miles in a day). Had the pillion part of the seat left as "stock". I did not get the topcase backrest done but I should have. I don't use the topcase much at all, so it's not much of an issue for me.

One of things that wins me as a customer for life is not when things go well, but when they don't and the Company rises to the challenge. This was my third Russell seat; the prior two were fine right from the start. I did a SS1000 with the GTL with both the stock seat and the new Russell seat. The Russell did not live up to what I was expecting based on the prior two purchases. When I called, I was put in touch with the seat builder, and we discussed my issues. The seat was shipped back "repaired" under warranty and returned quicker than I expected. I was really impressed with the service.

It's the only long distance after-market seat I will buy.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
2012 K1600GTL Silver

IBA # 42277

post #15 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 8:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmith59

Don S
Mr Smith are Russell Seats made for each in individual person size or not that critical.
post #16 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 9:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster7
Mr Smith are Russell Seats made for each in individual person size or not that critical.
This wasn't addressed to me, but : Russell seats are custom built on your OEM seat pan. Its truly amazing what they can do, but you have to tell them in detail what you're expecting, and photos are required. The more info you give them, the better the result. Link will give you lots of info: http://www.day-long.com/

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in