New 1600GTL - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Feb 28th, 2012, 9:13 pm Thread Starter

New 1600GTL

About 2 months ago I strolled into my local BMW dealer just to get some heated clothing
to wear on my 2008 Goldwing. I met some great people and walked out with plenty of winter gear to last me forever. While I was there I looked over the new K1600GTL that was in the showroom and thought, now that sure is a good looking machine and my wife said to me why don't you sit on it and I said no thanks, I was thinking to myself that I was afraid I was going to like it. I left the dealership feeling like I had contacted a virus or something like that.

A couple of months have past and I've visited that GTL several times and the virus continued to get worse. I kept thinking, your Goldwing is fine and it's paid for. Why do I feel this way.

Well to make a long story short, yep you guessed correctly, I traded and get to pick up
that GTL tomorrow morning.

It feels like Christmas and there is a Santa...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Feb 28th, 2012, 9:47 pm

Re: New 1600GTL

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 25 Old Feb 28th, 2012, 10:48 pm

Did the same with my Goldwing last Friday. Santa lives nearby so I'm blaming him.

Enjoy!

Gary

post #4 of 25 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 4:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

Very nice - and the weather is just perfect, down here..... enjoy the new ride.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 25 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 6:25 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Welcome
Your "Sickness" will not get any better. That trip to the store for milk will now take a few hours instead of a few minutes as you will go the long way. On the cold rain day as you pass it in the garage going to the car to get to work you will now spend hours just looking & smiling at the bike. When you tell your wife "I'll be home for Dinner" you will have to tell her on what day also.
Enjoy the "New Ride"

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 25 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 9:09 am

That is awesome as I do not feel so bad. I had a BMW K1200 LT and I walked into the BMW dealership for something and walked out with a K1600 GTL. They are an amazing bike. Enjoy and congrats.

Bob
2011 K1600 GTL
Victoria, BC
Canada
post #7 of 25 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 10:25 am

Many of us have fallen victim to the "just for fun" demo ride. Clever chaps, those Germans.

Enjoy the bike...you're in for a treat!

My $.02 of advice: forget about the menus and information display for a while, and just ride and get comfortable with the bike. Learn the info system in the garage and introduce it slowly and cautiously while riding, as it can be overwhelming and extremely distracting until you're familiar with it. Once you've got it mastered, it's wonderful. But you can easily get caught up in it and forget about job #1 early on.
post #8 of 25 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 11:28 am

I think you can blame it on your wife. LOL If she never suggested you sit on it you would not be an owner. Of course you can also blame it on your local Honda dealer. If your is anything like mine ( i still have an ST) mine has next to nothing for gear for the cruiser / touring guy. In all fairness that is not the Honda business model. Enjoy the new ride. It is a great bike.
post #9 of 25 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 11:32 am

Welcome to the K1600 world.....I think you will continue to be amazed by this machine. The longer you ride it the better it becomes. Good luck with it and see ya on the forum....Kipper.
post #10 of 25 Old Mar 1st, 2012, 12:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by b737boss
SNIP...A couple of months have past and I've visited that GTL several times and the virus continued to get worse. I kept thinking, your Goldwing is fine and it's paid for. Why do I feel this way.

Well to make a long story short, yep you guessed correctly, I traded and get to pick up
that GTL tomorrow morning.

It feels like Christmas and there is a Santa...
Congratulations! I too came from a Goldwing. My last one was a 2009 that I sold to buy the GTL. I'm happy every day that I make that choice. The 'wing was OK, but almost as boring as it can get while riding a motorcycle (still better than a car!), while with the K1600 I just can't wait to ride again. I don't know what there is about this bike that thrillls so, but I love it. Its put the excitement back into riding, even without putting its power and handling to use! Don't forget to thank Santa AND your wife!

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #11 of 25 Old Mar 1st, 2012, 8:36 pm

[QUOTE=Ruben]Congratulations! , even without putting its power and handling to use!

But mostly with the power on!! Get ready to buy a few tires. ]
post #12 of 25 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 1:17 pm

Pics
post #13 of 25 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 4:13 pm Thread Starter

Sorry about not getting pics on here but I have them, I just have to resize them so I can post them. My lovely wife will help me with that and hopefully have them on here next week.

Have any of you put the engine guards on and what do you think about them?

Tks
post #14 of 25 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 4:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have the factory guards and from what I have read, they will protect the engine.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #15 of 25 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 5:15 pm

Quote:
Sorry about not getting pics on here but I have them, I just have to resize them so I can post them. My lovely wife will help me with that and hopefully have them on here next week.

Tks
Thank you
post #16 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 6:38 am

Quote:
Put them on as soon as they were available. Frankly, they should have been part of the baseline package (like a Goldwing). Without them, you have a very high chance of engine damage if you drop it at speed.

Since they attach directly to the engine, I won't use any other aftermarket bars (unless said bars do not attach to the engine). This is for two reasons.

First, BMW alone has the structural computer model data with which the bars were designed. Different shapes and/or materials will likely produce different loads at the two attach points, so who knows what damage may or may not result from non-OEM bars? Add a third attach point and all bets are off.

This leads to point number 2; warranty. If the engine case is damaged at any of the attach points and I've got non-OEM bars attached, I'm going to have a hard time claiming a warranty repair. That's a $13,000 bet I'm not willing to make.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
2012 K1600GTL Silver

IBA # 42277
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #17 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 6:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE
Many of us have fallen victim to the "just for fun" demo ride. Clever chaps, those Germans.

Enjoy the bike...you're in for a treat!

My $.02 of advice: forget about the menus and information display for a while, and just ride and get comfortable with the bike. Learn the info system in the garage and introduce it slowly and cautiously while riding, as it can be overwhelming and extremely distracting until you're familiar with it. Once you've got it mastered, it's wonderful. But you can easily get caught up in it and forget about job #1 early on.

That's a good bit of advice, when I bought my 03 LT, it took me a little while to get used to all of the controls before I had it mastered (I came off of a metric with no buttons), but did concentrate on the bike itself.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #18 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 7:54 am
Ric

Interesting reply by Sfoster and something I did not think about. I have been looking for what I think is a nice looking set of engine guard bars to compliment the lines of the 1600, but I didn't think about damage being done to the bike from these bars in a fall or lay down. I wonder now what the company line will actually be on damage caused to the bike from OEM or aftermarket engine guard bars. Has anyone talked to a dealer about this yet?

Rick H.
post #19 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 8:49 am

What I did not cover was insurance. If the bike is dropped and damage is done, insurance should cover it (less deductible), so warranty shouldn't be an issue in that case. That is by far the most likely scenario so non-OEM bars are the buyer's choice.

As always caveat emptor .

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
2012 K1600GTL Silver

IBA # 42277

post #20 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 11:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
Interesting reply by Sfoster and something I did not think about. I have been looking for what I think is a nice looking set of engine guard bars to compliment the lines of the 1600, but I didn't think about damage being done to the bike from these bars in a fall or lay down. I wonder now what the company line will actually be on damage caused to the bike from OEM or aftermarket engine guard bars. Has anyone talked to a dealer about this yet?

Rick H.
\REALLY Guys who cares about the bike, I must advise from experiance due to an accident in Aug 2011 which my beloved k1200lt died, but it did save my LEG from damage from a low side though, I did break my toe in 3 places and the tip over wings worked, so crash bars are for the riders safety. Hopfuly this helps in decision making, Matthew

Factory tip over bars would never be questioned by an insurance company, the Adjuster asked me if i had accesorised my k1200lt with these, thinking maybe like most bikes they are added like harleys etc, he was going to give me more insurance for the investment of the crash bars along with any other ads, if it damages the engine because of the crash bars we all know it will, so what, for you a new bike anyway...FYI
post #21 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 5:18 pm
Ric

Hmm, I have never known any manufacturer to call these types of bars "crash" bars. They have been and most likely will always be known as engine guard bars or just guard bars. If you call them crash bars then you immediately give the impression they will offer some type of protection from a crash which leaves the manufacturer wide open for liability issues potentially to be determined by a civil suit jury. Thinking back to my Harley Davidson manuals of the past I believe the wording is something like the bars may help prevent injury in a low speed tip over but they are not designed to protect the rider from a true collision. Historically this has always been a problem in that people continually refer to this types of bars as "crash" bars when in fact that couldn't be further from the truth. This same problem exists when people call police model double bead retention tires "run flat" which is not true at all.

In any event, after the comment by sfoster I took a good look at some of the engine guard bars being marketed with emphasis on the mounting of these items. I now wonder how much REAL testing was done on these bars as it sure looks like they have the potential to cause serious damage to the engine case. Designing and fitting these bars is one thing, but designing, fitting and actually validating the bars in actual use is another. One could argue that in the case of the BMW guard bars there should (hopefully) have been some testing done on the mounting design to help minimize any damage done to the engine case in the event of a drop. There just isn't a lot of "metal" where most if not all of these bars are being mounted. And while it is true that your insurance company "may" cover the damage done to your engine case I think, at least right now, that you are more likely to get a favorable adjustment with the OEM bars in place than some aftermarket bars. Bear in mind this is all speculation right now but I am going to call my dealer tomorrow and see if he can shed any light on this. I will also add that if one 1600 owner waited for 5 months for a coolant tank for his bike imagine how long the wait will be for an engine block!

Rick H.
post #22 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 6:04 pm

Congratulations on the new bike. I think many of us went into the showroom looking for a quart of oil and came out with something $30,000 more expensive. I know I did. The crash bars are cheap insurance. Buy them.
post #23 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 6:47 pm

Under no circumstances would the warranty cover damage related to a drop, slide, skid, crash, bump, or any other form of contact with the ground or any other object...
That's what insurance is for..

If the engine case got cracked or broken, It's likely the bike would be totaled anyway....

So buy those crash bars.. And if you really use them.. You'll get some new ones on your new bike...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #24 of 25 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 6:00 pm

Let me remind you all of my sad story! I HAD MY GTL FOR 26 HRS beforeI crashed it. while looking at the high tech dash display. I ran into the back of a stopped car at about 10 mph. It folded the front end and cracked the engine housing as well as some tuperware. The bike ended up being a total.
I am certain it could have been saved if I had the engine guards. The dealer hadn't received them at the he delivered the bike. DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT THEM!!!!
post #25 of 25 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 8:49 pm Thread Starter

Finally a pic of my new GTL....

Topsarg, sorry about your mishap but the important thing is you're still hear to talk about it...
The bike can be replaced...

Brent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My new GTL.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	634.2 KB
ID:	34623  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in