Trailer Hitches - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 4:21 pm Thread Starter

Smile Trailer Hitches

Has anyone put a trailer hitch on the 1600GTL? If so, what does it look like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 5:31 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Trailer Hitches

HERE IS A THREAD on the k1600 forum

here are some pics from that thread

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 7 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 7:47 pm

Dayum Steve.........you are da' man.............J

Is that a Viper I see dere on da curb.............cool..........

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT

post #4 of 7 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 8:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palerider

Here's a link to a thread with a couple installs of the DMC hitch; my contribution begins at post #9:

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...tallation.html

Note that the tow-bar for the Uni-Go shown in the above pics is currently being modified to greatly shorten it, and to allow me to mount it in the receiver so that there is zero play between the receiver and the towbar.

This page should let you click on a pic of the K16 hitch on the DMC site: http://www.dmcsidecars.com/hitches/hitches-for-bmw/

And it's a C6 Corvette, in Atomic Orange.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #5 of 7 Old Feb 20th, 2012, 6:35 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palerider

Not mine it's Marks I just referenced the thread.
MaMa wont let me have any more toys till I sell some of what I have.

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 7 Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 7:11 am

As far as I know, only DMC and Bushtec are making hitches. I would STRONGLY recommend the DMC between those two. I let Bushtec use my bike to make their prototype and got nothing in return but a goobed up bike and the need to replace the rubber boot on the swingarm. The chronology was this:

Called Bushtec about hitch. They said they needed a bike to fabricate hitch. I was told they could have the fabrication done in 3-5 days.

Dropped my bike off, and didn't get it back for 2 weeks! Hitch did look good though, and I was supposed to have it back in 3 weeks for final fitting and installation.

Driving the bike while waiting for the hitch, some of the parts they removed fell off and one damaged the rubber boot on the swingarm, costing some $$ to replace.

3 weeks came and went with no word from Bushtec, would not return any of my calls. Bike was dropped off to them first of August, ended up scrubbing trip to New England the 15th of October due to having no hitch. Still no response to my calls from Bushtec.

Finally, somewhere late in October/early November, got a voice mail from manager at Bushtec, not telling me my hitch was ready or anything, only telling me he "thought someone else was working with me on my hitch." Still no response from anyone else at Bushtec.

Ordered the DMC hitch this week. They were out of stock but the very nice lady there promised she's have it to me in less than three weeks. Plus, from the pictures I've seen, the DMC hitch will be less intrusive and more hidden than the Bushtec prototype that I saw on my bike.

I carried the Bushtec banner and was telling everyone about their hitch and trying to drum up business for them. All I got in return was a broken bike, no hitch, and not even the decency of a returned phone call, and one cancelled trip to New England. Don't walk, RUN away from Bushtec! Their customer service falls between lousy and non existant.

Greg

"Loud lives save pipes"

00 K1200LT (Emil) 94,840 trouble free miles. Gone, but not forgotten
02 R1150RT (Artie) 109,000 miles. Favorite bike. With me to the end.
10 K1300GT (The Phantom) 10,110 miles. Like flying a T-38 on 2 wheels. Gone.
12 K1600GTL (Johnny 5) 3,500. A great compromise between the LT and GT

A gaggle of Japanese bikes, then I woke up.
post #7 of 7 Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 8:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushin9s
As far as I know, only DMC and Bushtec are making hitches. I would STRONGLY recommend the DMC between those two. I let Bushtec use my bike to make their prototype and got nothing in return but a goobed up bike and the need to replace the rubber boot on the swingarm. The chronology was this:

Called Bushtec about hitch. They said they needed a bike to fabricate hitch. I was told they could have the fabrication done in 3-5 days.

Dropped my bike off, and didn't get it back for 2 weeks! Hitch did look good though, and I was supposed to have it back in 3 weeks for final fitting and installation.

Driving the bike while waiting for the hitch, some of the parts they removed fell off and one damaged the rubber boot on the swingarm, costing some $$ to replace.

3 weeks came and went with no word from Bushtec, would not return any of my calls. Bike was dropped off to them first of August, ended up scrubbing trip to New England the 15th of October due to having no hitch. Still no response to my calls from Bushtec.

Finally, somewhere late in October/early November, got a voice mail from manager at Bushtec, not telling me my hitch was ready or anything, only telling me he "thought someone else was working with me on my hitch." Still no response from anyone else at Bushtec.

Ordered the DMC hitch this week. They were out of stock but the very nice lady there promised she's have it to me in less than three weeks. Plus, from the pictures I've seen, the DMC hitch will be less intrusive and more hidden than the Bushtec prototype that I saw on my bike.

I carried the Bushtec banner and was telling everyone about their hitch and trying to drum up business for them. All I got in return was a broken bike, no hitch, and not even the decency of a returned phone call, and one cancelled trip to New England. Don't walk, RUN away from Bushtec! Their customer service falls between lousy and non existant.
i ordered my dmc hitch on the 13th of feb. i was told 3 weeks,,,hmmmmm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in