Schuberth C-3 Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Feb 18th, 2012, 7:35 am Thread Starter

Unhappy Schuberth C-3 Question

I have a Schuberth C-3 that I cant get use to. I measured and remeasured for the correct size but after 6000 miles on my GTL I still have pressure across my forehead after about an hour or so. Should I go to the next size up (extra Large) or does anyone know of a way to modify the liner to ease the pressure? I have the BMW communicator installed and really like the set up .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Feb 18th, 2012, 8:05 am

Re: Schuberth C-3 Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking04
I have a Schuberth C-3 that I cant get use to. I measured and remeasured for the correct size but after 6000 miles on my GTL I still have pressure across my forehead after about an hour or so. Should I go to the next size up (extra Large) or does anyone know of a way to modify the liner to ease the pressure? I have the BMW communicator installed and really like the set up .
I had the same problem. This is what I did... I cut off the little tabs used to cover the upper vent holes. They are attached to the liner - top, forward part. I also took the liner out and used a ballpeen hammer head (rounded side) to smooth out the area putting the pressure on my head. It didn't take much and I did a very little bit at a time. Be advised that this will compromise the safety integrity of the helmet in this area. How much? I doubt much but...

'06 BMW R1200GS
'99 BMW K1200LT
post #3 of 12 Old Feb 18th, 2012, 9:17 am Thread Starter

Thanks raining cats and dogs today anyway. Looks like a good project for today.. Thanks Tim

post #4 of 12 Old Feb 18th, 2012, 9:20 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking04
Thanks raining cats and dogs today anyway. Looks like a good project for today.. Thanks Tim
We're sending you more rain too.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 12 Old Feb 18th, 2012, 12:16 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

You can also use a billiard ball to round out that area somewhat, which gives you pretty good control. Or a large, heavy spoon (don't use the wife's good silver).

If you use a hammer, take a bunch of small, thin hits instead of a few large ones.

Just keep working it a bit at a time and keep trying it on until it feels comfortable.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 12 Old Feb 18th, 2012, 1:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I found that I had to go up a size with the C3 to get a good fit. I'm normally a large, but the extra large fit so well, I didn't want to take it off.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 12 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 12:12 am

Something is seriously wrong when an $800 helmet requires surgery with a ball peen hammer or a pool ball in order make it wearable. Think I'll pass....
post #8 of 12 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 7:20 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by loboheritage
Something is seriously wrong when an $800 helmet requires surgery with a ball peen hammer or a pool ball in order make it wearable. Think I'll pass....
Not every helmet will fit everyone. Nolan N102 fits my great. The C3 did not, it is best to just go to a dealer & try on a few till you find one that fits . I walked around my dealer for about 45 minutes with the Nolan on to make sure it fit right.

Stevie Shreeve
post #9 of 12 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 8:32 am

Everyone's head is a different shape. The C3 is designed for rounder heads, and will require surgery for oval-headed people. You can either compress the liner foam with a spoon or hammer, or you can cut it out with a knife. To my mind, compressing it is a bad idea, as you're taking away the ability of the foam to cushion your skull in an accident. Removing the foam means you have less protection, but the foam retains its resilience.

Many people mistakenly size up to fit their oval heads, but that means that the sides of their heads aren't well protected and proper helmet fit is compromised. There are several videos on proper fit on YouTube, but suffice it to say that may riders are wearing a lid at least one size too big. I wore either a Large or Extra Large for years until I was fit by someone who knew what they were doing. I'm now wearing a Small (Shark) or Medium (Arai).

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650
post #10 of 12 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 9:22 am
Ric

This has always been a problem for helmet makers and riders. They simply don't want to make helmets in the proper sizes for oval shaped heads. The straight up regular helmet sizes fit "most" people but definitely not all. The solution would be to have extra long oval shaped helmets, like hats are sized, which would allow greater comfort for those of us with oblong knoggins. Otherwise we are left no option but to whittle away or beat down the styrofoam lining until it fits. If I go up in size to fit comfort than the helmet doesn't fit the reat of my head properly. Expensive helmet or not, this is the only solution we have. I have had to perform surgery like this on every helmet I have owned.

Rick H.
post #11 of 12 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 9:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
This has always been a problem for helmet makers and riders. They simply don't want to make helmets in the proper sizes for oval shaped heads. The straight up regular helmet sizes fit "most" people but definitely not all. The solution would be to have extra long oval shaped helmets, like hats are sized, which would allow greater comfort for those of us with oblong knoggins. Otherwise we are left no option but to whittle away or beat down the styrofoam lining until it fits. If I go up in size to fit comfort than the helmet doesn't fit the reat of my head properly. Expensive helmet or not, this is the only solution we have. I have had to perform surgery like this on every helmet I have owned.

Rick H.
FWIW Rick, I had the same problem too until I tried on the Arai Signet-Q. Beautifully comfortable right out of the box.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650
post #12 of 12 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 10:46 am
Ric

Thanks 05train, I will look at those as I need a new helmet PDQ.

Rick H.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in