Tire Wear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Feb 11th, 2012, 5:13 pm Thread Starter

Tire Wear

Nice to see that folks are really enjoying their K1600's. And now that some are logging a few miles, I wonder how tire wear is shaping up. Any thoughts you can share would be appreciated. I plan to move up from an R1100RT soon. Just curious how the added weight might figure into the mix. I plan on riding solo mostly. Also, what tires are shipping with the bikes from the factory these days?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Feb 12th, 2012, 6:38 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Tire Wear

I got less then 6000 miles on the stock Z8's. I put PR3's on & with about 2000 miles on them they still look like new. On the K1600 forum there are reports of the PR3's at 6000 to 8000 miles & still looking great.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 7 Old Feb 12th, 2012, 3:07 pm

I collected my K1600GT last Friday, I am not counting on much tyre wear on the first set ! That motor you just have to listen to its snarl. Can't wait for the 1st service. Have 1000 km on it already !!!
cheers Andrew

post #4 of 7 Old Feb 12th, 2012, 8:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno
Nice to see that folks are really enjoying their K1600's. And now that some are logging a few miles, I wonder how tire wear is shaping up. Any thoughts you can share would be appreciated. I plan to move up from an R1100RT soon. Just curious how the added weight might figure into the mix. I plan on riding solo mostly. Also, what tires are shipping with the bikes from the factory these days?

I have only 700 miles on my GT (less than a month old) and it's my goal to wear them out on the sides before the middle. That's a tall order considering how much power this thing puts down and how hard it is to not indulge it. My bike came with the Bridgestones on it and they seem fine for 6/10th's style riding but I'm considering something stickier for the next set of tires on it as we get past our "feeling each other out/dating" phase and more in to the committed relationship work. I'm going to be looking at both the PR3's and the Dunlop RS2s. I understand many K16 owners are trying the Michelins but I haven't heard any reports yet on the Dunlops. Anyone?

Wes
post #5 of 7 Old Feb 18th, 2012, 6:57 pm

I have Bridgestone on my GTL with 15000 km, The rear is shot but some left on the front. I hated them. Bad in the rain bad on the tar snakes bad on ridges on the road. I have PR3 to put on next.
post #6 of 7 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 12:59 am Thread Starter

The PR3s do look great with the dual compound. I have to say I had a similar experience with Bridgestones a few years ago on my RT. I was really surprised at how they tracked randomly over rain channels in the road. Went back to Metzelers and have had no problem with that issue.

Wonder what is shipping on my bike. I have the VIN number but don't know if I could find out using that information or not.
post #7 of 7 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 7:16 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno
The PR3s do look great with the dual compound. I have to say I had a similar experience with Bridgestones a few years ago on my RT. I was really surprised at how they tracked randomly over rain channels in the road. Went back to Metzelers and have had no problem with that issue.

Wonder what is shipping on my bike. I have the VIN number but don't know if I could find out using that information or not.
No one knows. What ever tire is handy at the time the bike is built will go on the bike.

Stevie Shreeve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in