Schubert C3 and SRC Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old Feb 6th, 2012, 9:30 pm Thread Starter

Schubert C3 and SRC Question

I know a lot has been written about this topic so forgive me for raising it again but I would like to understand the CURRENT compatibility and functionality of the Schuberth C3 with SRC vs. the actual official BMW System 6 helmets. I have seen some tables that suggest the Schuberth systems does not offer full functionality that is on offer with the BMW System 6 helmets.

I also understand that Schuberth is publishing software updates from time to time, hence my questions. I would ideally want to pair the helmet with an iPhone 4 and be able to listen to music on the phone and take incoming phone calls from the iPhone while controlling track and playlist selection and volume via the BMW rotary controller on the bike. Is that possible out of the box?

Also, if I could ask about noise levels with the setup that would be appreciated as I currently use in-ear monitors.

Finally, anyone know where to purchase a BMW System 6 hemet for use in the U.S. and relative sizing vis a vis Schuberth helmets as I currently own a Shuberth C2.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old Feb 7th, 2012, 7:54 pm

Re: Schubert C3 and SRC Question

I have a C3 and an SRC, but do not have a BMW with the rotary controller so I will pass on that part.

I do have an iPhone 4 and as you can imagine there is nothing perfect with Bluetooth. I found that the C3 is the quietist helmet that I have ever owned. I bought the C3 and new molded earplugs in the same week and I have not used them with the C3. I have about 9K miles on the C3 and have traveled extended time at very high Interstate speeds that should have made a difference in wind noise.

I use either the iPod app or Pandora for tunes. The iPod has better fidelity over the 3G Pandora app and that is noticeable even at speed. The fidelity of the SRC system, IMHO, is at least equal to the stock wired stereo headset supplied in the box with the iPhone 4 from Apple. The volume is easily controlled and it is set and dynamically controlled via the SRC audio system monitoring the wind noise from the microphone. Does a pretty good job of it also. Again IMO. Some people do not like auto volume control but it's sensitivity or enablement can be controlled by the SRC settings.

When I bought my C3 I asked about the System 6 helmet and the counter person told me that BMW was not going to import that helmet so I doubt that it will have a DOT rating which probably is not a big deal unless you are involved in an accident and some slick lawyer sees that your helmet doesn't carry a DOT certification. jm2cw

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #3 of 44 Old Feb 7th, 2012, 8:29 pm

I have a new C3 with the SRC collar installed. I've also upgraded everything to the latest version of the firmware. It's a fact that when using the SRC collar that the bike will not let you adjust the volume of the music with the multi-controller. I'm told that the BMW comm system for the C3 will permit that feature.

My SRC, iPhone, bike audio is all working fine now with the exception of the "no usb" drop outs on music. I can listen to all the bike's audio options while getting GPS audio prompts while accepting and making phone calls from my iPhone 4. That's all working like a charm. For example, I installed what Garmin calls "Safety Camera Database" in the Nav 4 and it'll mute the music and give me an visual warning with a "bing bing" audio warning when I'm approaching a speed camera. When someone calls me I get the caller ID on the Nav 4 and hear my own ring tone in my C3/SRC. Pretty cool stuff.

If the dang Alpine radio on the bike knew how to talk to an iPod/iPhone for more than about 1 and a half songs, it would be perfect.

post #4 of 44 Old Feb 9th, 2012, 12:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno
I know a lot has been written about this topic so forgive me for raising it again but I would like to understand the CURRENT compatibility and functionality of the Schuberth C3 with SRC vs. the actual official BMW System 6 helmets. I have seen some tables that suggest the Schuberth systems does not offer full functionality that is on offer with the BMW System 6 helmets.

I also understand that Schuberth is publishing software updates from time to time, hence my questions. I would ideally want to pair the helmet with an iPhone 4 and be able to listen to music on the phone and take incoming phone calls from the iPhone while controlling track and playlist selection and volume via the BMW rotary controller on the bike. Is that possible out of the box?

Also, if I could ask about noise levels with the setup that would be appreciated as I currently use in-ear monitors.

Finally, anyone know where to purchase a BMW System 6 hemet for use in the U.S. and relative sizing vis a vis Schuberth helmets as I currently own a Shuberth C2.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
PittsDriver pretty much answered you questions about sound and noise, and the rotoraty controller on the left grip. One other "issue" with the C3-SRC is that the pillion helmet won't pair with the second helmet setting on the bike, so she doesn't get to listen to Sirius radio, or the Nav talking, but the intercom works great, and she can link to her own MP3 player or listen to the built in FM radio in the SRC system if she likes, although she usually rides her own bike, which then allows us to use the intercom for bike to bike, as well as link to her own bike for music, nav, and radar detector. I "think" the BMW bluetooth would allow linking to the second helmet on the bike, but rumor has it that the music quality isn't as good and the SRC, and I'm not sure about the intercom. The intercom in the SRC is great, just start talking, and its on.

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #5 of 44 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 10:29 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replays. Very helpful as always here. I will likely do most of my riding solo so the Schuberth seems fine. Sorry to hear about the "no USB" drop out issue PittsDriver. Any solution found on that?
post #6 of 44 Old Feb 11th, 2012, 6:46 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver
I have a new C3 with the SRC collar installed. I've also upgraded everything to the latest version of the firmware.
How did you update your firmware? How did you know it needed to be updated? What differences did you notice?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 44 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 11:53 am

I have the C3. Purchased in the UK. I have a US spec GTL purchased in Germany. I also have the US BMW Communication system installed in my C3. After getting the Bluetooth properly activated, see another thread, I can say the comm gear works well.

I do not have the SRC.

The helmet is quiet. The wheel works well in changing the volume and changing the song. My iPod is connected with the outrageously price connection cable. I too was getting the No USB, but no longer with the iPod now connected.

There is a slight difference between the BMW US comm gear and the BMW UK. There is a plastic "brace" on the arm of the mic that is different between the two versions. As best as the UK dealer and myself could tell the motherboard was the same and so was the battery.

I like my C3.
post #8 of 44 Old Feb 18th, 2012, 6:03 pm Thread Starter

Thanks all of your thoughts. After trying on a few helmets for a while at the dealer today, I ordered a C3...they did not have my size/color in stock. I am stepping up from a C2 and one thing to note is there is more vertical vision area available which is great. In fact, the parts advisor mentioned with the new helmet that you really need to check and align the upper part of the chin guard with the tip of your nose to make sure it is on correctly. Size felt pretty consistent from the C2 to the C3.

Regarding SRC, the dealer is steering me towards the BMW Comms systems. Price is about the same. He mentioned that there are "additional functions" that can be controlled using the bike itself if you go with the BMW Comms system vs. the Schuberth SRC. I was under the impression from my reading on various forums that the BMW Comms system gives you one thing over the SRC...the ability to control volume using the rotary controller on the left handlebar.

Am I missing something else that the BMW Comms system offers over the SRC? The Schuberth collar form factor sure seems nice.
post #9 of 44 Old Feb 18th, 2012, 6:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I went BMW comm and like it very much, never noticed poor quality sound, in fact just the opposite, had to turn the volumn down on the rotary about 1/4 from full, blasted my ears, i wonder from reading the topices if placement of the speakor isnt the issue??
Your question is which should you go with, All the features work as advertised with my bike and system NO regreats at this time...hope this helps..
post #10 of 44 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 9:31 am
Ric

Ok, this always confuses me as I don't have a 1600 yet. I pick mine up around April 1st. So if I understand all this radio/sound stuff, you need the BMW helmet and a "collar" to get full function of the audio system correct? However, the passenger must have the same setup but even then will not be able to hear sat radio? Is there a old style plug-in helmet system available that the rider and passenger can just plug their helmets into and get radio and intercom? I never listen to my cell on the road, too distracting. Thanks for the help.

Rick H.
post #11 of 44 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 11:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The BMW comm is fully functional,I have one for me and my passanger and it works flawlessly any thing else is an add on, Your call,, if you buy a Modern High tech bike why wouldnt you go with the hi tech BMW comm for this bike ???
post #12 of 44 Old Feb 20th, 2012, 2:18 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Got a question for the BMW Com System owners.

What happens when you plug the Com System in to charge?

Does the intercom/music function still work, or does it go into Standby mode and stop all sounds?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 44 Old Feb 20th, 2012, 6:45 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
Ok, this always confuses me as I don't have a 1600 yet. I pick mine up around April 1st. So if I understand all this radio/sound stuff, you need the BMW helmet and a "collar" to get full function of the audio system correct? However, the passenger must have the same setup but even then will not be able to hear sat radio? Is there a old style plug-in helmet system available that the rider and passenger can just plug their helmets into and get radio and intercom? I never listen to my cell on the road, too distracting. Thanks for the help.

Rick H.
The new type BMW comm for the K1600 mount to the Helmet. I do not think the older "Collar" style will work. As for a plug in (hardwire) set up you can use an Autocom & hook it into the speaker wire or do like I did & just install a 3.5 mm plug inline with the speakers& then I run it to my Scala G4 ( I do use my phone on the bike)
CLICK HERE to see how I did it.

Stevie Shreeve
post #14 of 44 Old Feb 20th, 2012, 6:51 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcrave
The BMW comm is fully functional,I have one for me and my passanger and it works flawlessly any thing else is an add on, Your call,, if you buy a Modern High tech bike why wouldnt you go with the hi tech BMW comm for this bike ???
For me, I already had good helmets with almost new Scala G4 intercoms. So spending another $2200.00 to replace them was not an option. Besides From what I understand the batteries on the G4 last a lot longer then the BMW ones do. I've gone 16 or more hours on 1 charge where the BMW last about 12 hours (from what I've read) Plus the sound quality is better hardwired.
JM2C

Stevie Shreeve
post #15 of 44 Old Feb 20th, 2012, 12:15 pm
Ric

Roadcrave: I understand your comments about having a high tech total package for the GTL. If it were just me on the bike I would not have a problem but my wife is a different story. She isn't so high tech and likes things as simple as possible. I also don't care to spend a couple of grand on helmets etc. The later comm system on my 05 LT is about as high tech as my wife cared for and worked very well for us. True, you had to "plug-in" every time you got on the bike but it worked for us. Even that system had some bugs in it that had to be worked out at first. So that leaves me in a position where I have to find something that we can plug into and I and my wife can have intercom and radio only. I really have no use for all the other bells and whistles that can be brought into play.

Katnapin: Thank you for the information, I will follow up on your suggestions.

Rick H.
post #16 of 44 Old Feb 20th, 2012, 1:42 pm

Specific to the Schubert C3 and SRC question.

I have the Schubert C3 and SRC and was on the road for 11 hours yesterday.

I had the Schubert C3 and SRC paired to my iphone.

I was playing music for 9 hours till the battery.

If I recall correctly, when I used the G4 I got over 12 hours.

How many hours do you get?

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #17 of 44 Old Feb 20th, 2012, 4:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Paul,

I'm getting about 10-12 hours. Could be more because it's really hard to track. The only time I used it for more than 12 hours was on the Iron Butt. I think it worked for about 12 hours.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #18 of 44 Old Feb 20th, 2012, 11:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wink Re: Schubert C3 and SRC Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
Roadcrave: I understand your comments about having a high tech total package for the GTL. If it were just me on the bike I would not have a problem but my wife is a different story. She isn't so high tech and likes things as simple as possible. I also don't care to spend a couple of grand on helmets etc. The later comm system on my 05 LT is about as high tech as my wife cared for and worked very well for us. True, you had to "plug-in" every time you got on the bike but it worked for us. Even that system had some bugs in it that had to be worked out at first. So that leaves me in a position where I have to find something that we can plug into and I and my wife can have intercom and radio only. I really have no use for all the other bells and whistles that can be brought into play.

Katnapin: Thank you for the information, I will follow up on your suggestions.

Rick H.
I understand, I own 4 solos on my sport bikes,w/two way frs radios for bike to bike,mp3 players,xm radio,driver to pillion,voice gps,cell phone 2.5mm adapters, I would just choose what to plugin out of the two inputs ports under the seat. [email protected] or Baehr com,http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=40 http://www.baehr.co.za/index.php?opt...d=16&Itemid=34

Last edited by roadcrave; Feb 20th, 2012 at 11:26 pm.
post #19 of 44 Old Feb 21st, 2012, 1:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Got a question for the BMW Com System owners.

What happens when you plug the Com System in to charge?

Does the intercom/music function still work, or does it go into Standby mode and stop all sounds?
Ken
I do have the C-3 with the BMW communicator. I turned on the radio and the BMW com and have music. I then plugged a cable into the bike USB port and the other end into the Com mini port and 1)the music continued and 2)the com "charging" lite illuminated. I did this with ignition on but without the engine running. Does that help?

Don S
post #20 of 44 Old Feb 21st, 2012, 5:57 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Yes, that does help.

My main complaint with the Schuberth SRC collar is that it goes into Standby mode and becomes useless while charging. That's simply a design decision by Schuberth, but it severely limits the SRC for the type of long-distance riding I like to do.

If the BMW ComSystem stays active while charging then that's a huge advantage to me. It means I can run it 10-12 hours, plug in to charge for 2-3 hours, then run it wireless again.

Thanks for checking this out.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #21 of 44 Old May 11th, 2012, 3:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmith59
Ken
I do have the C-3 with the BMW communicator. I turned on the radio and the BMW com and have music. I then plugged a cable into the bike USB port and the other end into the Com mini port and 1)the music continued and 2)the com "charging" lite illuminated. I did this with ignition on but without the engine running. Does that help?

Don S

Hi Don,

What all was involved to install the BMW Comm system into the C-3? How much of the C-3 "quiet integrity" is/was compromised?

I am looking to invest in 2 helmets / Comm systems and was originally thinking about the C-3 with SRC but reading before doing is always the best! Thanks!

2011 BMW R1200RT - currently ~24k miles; bought new 2/23/12
2007 Honda Rebel - 4,588 learning miles...she served me well...

BMW MOA 188089

post #22 of 44 Old May 11th, 2012, 10:40 am

My dealer did the BMW Comm install. It took him about 45 minutes and It was not the first one he did. Did not appear to be complicated at all. In fact I have since bought a used BMW comm to install in a non Schuberth helmet for my wife's twice a year ride. All of my experience has been good with this system but I must tell you I ride solo 99% of the time and I am half deaf.

Don S
post #23 of 44 Old May 11th, 2012, 7:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntreNous
Hi Don,

What all was involved to install the BMW Comm system into the C-3? How much of the C-3 "quiet integrity" is/was compromised?

I am looking to invest in 2 helmets / Comm systems and was originally thinking about the C-3 with SRC but reading before doing is always the best! Thanks!
The SRC or the BMW version is an exact replacement for the Schubert collar and does not interfere with design nor compromise the design.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #24 of 44 Old May 12th, 2012, 12:50 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
The SRC or the BMW version is an exact replacement for the Schuberth collar
Not quite true.

The Schuberth SRC replaces the C3 collar, and all the electronics are built into the new collar.

The BMW Communication System tucks the batteries and electronics up into the helmet shell (in pre-existing pockets), and has a button panel mounted outside.

Both systems were developed with Schuberth's assistance, so that the helmet retains all its safety ratings with either system installed.

The biggest differences are that the BMW Communication System works with the Scroll Wheel to control rider volume, and it was designed to work with the K16's Bluetooth setup and Alpine radio, meaning that both the rider and passenger can connect to the bike and thus both can listen to the same music source. With the Schuberth SRC, you have to connect separate music sources for the rider and the passenger.

I have been running the Schuberth SRC for a few years now, but when I picked up the GTL I did some research and decided that the BMW system just worked better. Now that I have it all set up, I can say that yes, it does.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #25 of 44 Old May 12th, 2012, 6:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

Another nice feature of the C3 helmet, for me, is the quietness. I used to wear earplugs with all previous helmets but find that the fit of my extra large is so good that earplugs don't seem to be necessary.

I like the way the blue tooth works and my only objection to the helmet is that on a hot day, the inside is hot (all helmets!) and my side vision is slightly diminished.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #26 of 44 Old May 12th, 2012, 1:31 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I find the venting on the C3 to work pretty well, especially the upper vent. Now you do need some airflow across the top of your helmet, but that's not too hard on the K16 . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #27 of 44 Old May 13th, 2012, 10:04 am

I also went with the C3s and BMW com. After a bit of trouble with pairing my BlackBerry and GPS updates I can say that I am very happy with this system.

Finally got out yesterday for an all day ride and everything worked perfectly. We stopped several times and each time the helmet, phone, bike, and GPS linked up without a hitch, the music was fine, I could easily understand the news commentators, and when my wife called twice, and I called her once, the call quality was amazing. She could not believe I was cruisin up 79 at 75 miles an hour. Getting off the bike being careful not to foul any wires, and then remembering I didn't have any. Priceless.
I do need to get into the Garrmin and adjust the route volume a bit as it was way too loud. Today i am going to incorporate her C3W into the mix which means unpairing everything and starting form scratch. I hoep it gores as well.

Rich

Rich

K1600GT - Vermillion
Former rides: K1200GT, 01 BMW R1150RT, 06 Honda 919, 96 BMW K75RT, 92? Suzuki DR350, 88 Suzuki 750GS, 85 Suzuki 500GS, 74 Honda 450CL, 72 Honda 350SL, 66 Schwinn Stingray.
post #28 of 44 Old May 13th, 2012, 12:17 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richr8
I also went with the C3s and BMW com. After a bit of trouble with pairing my BlackBerry and GPS updates I can say that I am very happy with this system.

Finally got out yesterday for an all day ride and everything worked perfectly. We stopped several times and each time the helmet, phone, bike, and GPS linked up without a hitch, the music was fine, I could easily understand the news commentators, and when my wife called twice, and I called her once, the call quality was amazing. She could not believe I was cruisin up 79 at 75 miles an hour. Getting off the bike being careful not to foul any wires, and then remembering I didn't have any. Priceless.
I do need to get into the Garrmin and adjust the route volume a bit as it was way too loud. Today i am going to incorporate her C3W into the mix which means unpairing everything and starting form scratch. I hoep it gores as well.

Rich
Nothing is constant.
Although we are talking different bikes, helmets and systems here it was good to hear someone getting their volume output on their GPS up. I am still having just the opposite. LT, BMW com, Nav iv, Multitec w/J&M headset and hardwire system Oops an Nokia cheap phone. Put all these together and there in lies the problem. My volume would not auto adjust for GPS or incoming calls. I am not big on the phone when riding but the volume still needs to separate for directions over the music. 2 years and still trying everything. Maybe just maybe a C3 you think
ride safe
post #29 of 44 Old May 14th, 2012, 4:51 am

Thanks everyone. This is all great information and I appreciate it! Meese thanks for the pics / explanation. I wasn't sure how the BMW Comm system worked with the C-3.

Side-note - I am a huge Rush fan and appreciate your avatar...

2011 BMW R1200RT - currently ~24k miles; bought new 2/23/12
2007 Honda Rebel - 4,588 learning miles...she served me well...

BMW MOA 188089

post #30 of 44 Old May 15th, 2012, 1:03 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntreNous
Side-note - I am a huge Rush fan and appreciate your avatar...
Yeah, I couldn't tell from your user name at all . . .

Coincidentally, Neil Peart is a huge BMW fan.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #31 of 44 Old May 15th, 2012, 2:59 pm

Not that it should matter that much after just pulling the trigger on a K1600, but what's the price difference between the SRC and BMW comm system in the C3? Meese, I do like what you are saying about being able to charge the BMW on the roll. It also like the BMW may be easier to make adjustments on the fly with the unit mounted on the side of the shell vs the collar.
post #32 of 44 Old May 15th, 2012, 4:41 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

The BMW Helmet Communication System lists at $445, while the Schuberth SRC collar lists at $399. I was able to get my Com Systems for under $400 each with shipping using a discount code at Countryside BMW.

The Com System comes in two sizes, one for Large (XL-XXXL) helmet shells (part # 71 6 02 219 829) and one for Small (XXS-L) helmet shells (part # 71 6 02 219 827).

Both have easily useable buttons, once your fingers learn where they are. The SRC has extra buttons to control a built in FM radio (with poor antenna reception), and to control an iPhone for calls and music. The Com System only has On/Off and Volume + and -, because everything else is controlled through the Magic Scroll Wheel and displayed on the dash.

Both systems require a C3 helmet for installation.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #33 of 44 Old May 16th, 2012, 9:55 pm

Ken, thanks. For me fewer buttons to fumble with on the side of the helmut or neck roll make sense. Charging on the go is also is a plus.

Fred
post #34 of 44 Old May 17th, 2012, 7:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

The only button that I press on the Schuberth C3 helmet is the one that turns it on. I do that as I pick it up in the morning, before I turn on the bike. Keeps it simple.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #35 of 44 Old May 17th, 2012, 9:10 pm

That's also good to know Dan. All other functions including volume are on the handlebar control, correct? I have a week to figure out if I want the added expense of a new helmet, speakers etc or just go with hard wiring something that will work with a J&M set up. Iv'e been real pleased with my last two J&M sets on the LT...
post #36 of 44 Old May 18th, 2012, 5:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwkraft
That's also good to know Dan. All other functions including volume are on the handlebar control, correct? I have a week to figure out if I want the added expense of a new helmet, speakers etc or just go with hard wiring something that will work with a J&M set up. Iv'e been real pleased with my last two J&M sets on the LT...
I'm a lite audio user; Bikes radio/GPS and maybe some day a Bluetooth phone. Rarely ride two-up. If you do more than that, a hard wired system might be better. The controller wheel on the bike controls the audio in my helmet. I can also control it from the helmet, but it's not necessary. Since I'm on my bike several days each week, I tend to charge up the helmet every week or so.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #37 of 44 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 11:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
The BMW Helmet Communication System lists at $445, while the Schuberth SRC collar lists at $399. I was able to get my Com Systems for under $400 each with shipping using a discount code at Countryside BMW.

The Com System comes in two sizes, one for Large (XL-XXXL) helmet shells (part # 71 6 02 219 829) and one for Small (XXS-L) helmet shells (part # 71 6 02 219 827).

Both have easily useable buttons, once your fingers learn where they are. The SRC has extra buttons to control a built in FM radio (with poor antenna reception), and to control an iPhone for calls and music. The Com System only has On/Off and Volume + and -, because everything else is controlled through the Magic Scroll Wheel and displayed on the dash.

Both systems require a C3 helmet for installation.
What is a C3 helmet? I have a Nolan N43 helmet I want to keep, but I just bought a 2013 RT which I believe has the same audio system as the 1600. I'm very new to Bluetooth.....trying to figure out which BT headset will work with the BMW, and work the best with my Nolan. The BMW BT headset seems to be the only one where you control volume, etc at the bike, not the helmet. Right?

Deek aka adVentureMan
2013 BMW R1200RT

Gone:
2015 Honda Rancher ATV 4x4
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2009 BMW R1200RT
2006 BMW R1200RT
2007 Royal Star Venture
2007 V-Strom DL1000
2006 VTX 1300R
2005 V* Classic
post #38 of 44 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 11:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I'm a lite audio user; Bikes radio/GPS and maybe some day a Bluetooth phone. Rarely ride two-up. If you do more than that, a hard wired system might be better. The controller wheel on the bike controls the audio in my helmet. I can also control it from the helmet, but it's not necessary. Since I'm on my bike several days each week, I tend to charge up the helmet every week or so.
I would nearly be willing to kill to find a way to use my WIRED J&M Elite headset in my Nolan N43 helmet with the '13 R1200RT I just bought.....but I am told I cannot, other than jury-rigging some connections and piping that through a J&M Ingegratr!

Sure wish someone made a "BT to Wired Audio Plug" converter for the new BT audio system! It'd sell like hotcakes I think. Look now like my best option is a BMW BT "receiver", installed my my dealer, and that assumes he CAN install than on MY helmet - Cost would be over $500 - I'd gladly pay a bunch of money to be able to use my current helmet and wired headset! (Okay, venting off now......)

Deek aka adVentureMan
2013 BMW R1200RT

Gone:
2015 Honda Rancher ATV 4x4
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2009 BMW R1200RT
2006 BMW R1200RT
2007 Royal Star Venture
2007 V-Strom DL1000
2006 VTX 1300R
2005 V* Classic
post #39 of 44 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 12:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek
What is a C3 helmet? I have a Nolan N43 helmet I want to keep, but I just bought a 2013 RT which I believe has the same audio system as the 1600. I'm very new to Bluetooth.....trying to figure out which BT headset will work with the BMW, and work the best with my Nolan. The BMW BT headset seems to be the only one where you control volume, etc at the bike, not the helmet. Right?
the C3 is a flip-up helmet made by a German company named Schuberth. It seems BMW has used the helmet before with their own name on it and a comm system made by someone else- perhaps Scala- I can't remember. Meese's link to countrywide BMW shows them, but they don't seem to mention their comm system, which he bought- at least not on their website. I also noticed their site doesn't have a search engine to find products by nomenclature/key words, which is really inconvenient.

BTW, Schuberth's SRC system and BMW's brand BT communicator (part in the helmet) won't sync together- which I found out the hard way after I bought one of each. They lead you to believe you can communicate w/ other BT riders within proximity, but it appears only if they happen to have the same system as your do. That's a lot of BS, considering what other BT comm systems are doing these days for less money. For a lack of better way of saying it, Schuberth and BMW did not give a hoot about making their newer products "backwards" compatible.

You might want to save yourself a lot of grief, time, and money by upgrading to a BT system and "cut the umbilical cords". I've essentially tried the same thing but going in opposite direction, trying to link up an older "wired'/non-bluetooth system to BT helmets. No luck- no joy.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #40 of 44 Old Aug 10th, 2013, 10:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

It was asked, but in case there is still some confusion, you charge up and operate a "very low" helmet battery by plugging it into the USB connector in the side pocket of the K1600. I had the voice telling me the battery was low on my Schuberth this morning and I had the cable with me. Worked like a champ. It probably won't charge up very quickly, but it continued to work.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #41 of 44 Old Aug 11th, 2013, 11:41 am

I have the C3 and Schuberth SRC. When I pair it to my GPS, I can then pair my iphone 5 to the GPS and get calls fine, but can't play music from my iphone to the SRC. Is there a different way to do this without pairing to the bike?

Mike

post #42 of 44 Old Aug 11th, 2013, 1:08 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

The short answer is no, there's no easy way to do what you want wirelessly - you can wire up a solution - but it's easiest to just do it how BMW intended.

Bluetooth is not a single wireless connection, but rather a selection of different Profiles that are designed to accomplish different things.

There are many different profiles, but the most common for this application are:

HFP - Hands-Free Profile
to communicate with mobile phones

PBAP - Phone Book Access Profile
to exchange Phone Book Data

ICP - Intercom Profile
to communicate with another headset

A2DP - Advanced Audio Distribution Profile
to stream stereo music

AVRCP - Audio/Video Remote Control Profile
to play/pause music

So your GPS/phone connection is using HFP, but to get audio streaming, you need to use A2DP (what the onboard Bluetooth uses). The SRC can run multiple Bluetooth connections simultaneously (for GPS/phone and audio streaming), but your phone can't.

You could connect your phone directly to the SRC using an A2DP profile (by following the correct pairing sequence) and get streaming music, but then you'd lost the GPS/phone connection . . .

I used a 30-pin Dock Connector extension cable. I plugged one end in to the existing phone connection cable in the lower right fairing pocket, ran the cable under the gas tank and up to my waterproof handlebar phone mount, and plugged the other end into my iPhone 4 (you can use a 30-pin to Lightning adapter).

So I got phone/GPS directions using the HFP Bluetooth pairing, and got phone music through the K16's onboard radio using A2DP Bluetooth pairing. I could select/play/pause music through the bike's Scroll Wheel, or from the phone screen itself.

That worked, but I had to plug/unplug the phone every time I left the bike.

Honestly, it was easier to just pair the phone through the GPS, and use a pre-loaded iPod Nano or simple USB stick in the lower fairing pocket, and not worry about music directly from my phone.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #43 of 44 Old Aug 13th, 2013, 8:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkrnrd
I have the C3 and Schuberth SRC. When I pair it to my GPS, I can then pair my iphone 5 to the GPS and get calls fine, but can't play music from my iphone to the SRC. Is there a different way to do this without pairing to the bike?
I have been using an iPhone 4 and the SRC for two years and just switched to an iPhone 5 and I can play music from the iPhone with the SRC and make calls. The problem is that the GPS may not be capable of cooperating with the connection between the iPhone and the SRC. The only GPS that I know definitely works is the Garmin Zumo 660. I am sure there are others and someone will surely update here with one that does. I actually hope that someone has got one to work. If so I would also like to know.

I have a Zumo 550 and I can tell you positively that it will connect and the connection will hold but the connection will hang as soon as the Zumo wants to speak.

Schubert told me the only way it will work is if you pair the GPS to the phone and the SRC to the phone. No connection can exist with those devices (i.e. GPS directly to SRC or reverse) to have it work.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #44 of 44 Old Aug 14th, 2013, 2:00 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Again, not all Bluetooth connections are the same.

GPS/phone gets connected through HFP (Hands-Free Profile), which is a mono connection that allows for mic.

Music gets connected through A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), which allows a stereo connection.

And another helmet gets connected through ICP (Intercom Profile), which allows for two-way communication.

So your SRC collar (or BMW Communicator) has three separate Bluetooth connections: one HFP, one A2DP, and one ICP. That's why things need to be paired in the correct order, so that the right devices get paired with the correct profiles.

Note that you can pair a phone to the helmet using HFP, or you can pair the phone to the GPS and then pair the GPS to the helmet using HFP. Doing this allows the GPS to read your phonebook, intercept calls, and let you initiate and end calls from the GPS touchscreen.

You can also pair the phone directly to the helmet using A2DP to get music from the phone. Most modern phones are smart enough to also send other audio over this connection, and also take calls, but your helmet headset has to be smart enough to do this as well.

Bluetooth technology is advancing rapidly, but even though it's using agreed-upon "standard" protocols, the biggest problem remains interoperability of different systems from different manufacturers.

So your best bet is sticking with one brand for everything, pairing it carefully exactly as the instructions show, and just leaving it at that.

When it works, it's quite amazing, and when it doesn't, it can be quite frustrating . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in