Moving the K1600GT around - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Feb 6th, 2012, 3:25 pm Thread Starter

Moving the K1600GT around

Hi folks,

I am now on the cusp of moving from an R1100RT to a K1600GT after taking a test drive last week. Ironically, I did not have much time to move the bike around when it was not running as the kind sales staff did that for me. Will go back this week to check it out but was wondering if folks here might share overall impressions regarding moving a GT around by hand in a garage, settling into a parking space etc.?

My R1100RT is around 550 lbs. so it is not as light as the latest RTs but a jump to around 767 lbs. seems significant for manual maneuvering.

All that I have read about the bike being amazingly light on the move was true during my test ride by the way. Any thoughts appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Feb 6th, 2012, 4:40 pm

Re: Moving the K1600GT around

I came from a 2011RT to my K1600GT....Fantastic bike, as far as pushing it around you just need to use good technique and it's not that bad, center stand is fairly easy and not that much harder than the RT (You need to pay slightly more attention to touching both sides of the stand before you step on it but it's not bad at all). I have to push my bike forward into my garage after a ride and then back it out when i want to ride...I just straddle it closely and it's no problem I weigh about 185 lbs. I had your same concerns and now I have none.

Dave
post #3 of 13 Old Feb 6th, 2012, 4:42 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

The weight is all very Low on the K1600. I have the GTL so I have the top case & it moves Very Easy. I will Say that I own a Motorcycle Towing company so I move bikes around all day so that may make it easier for me too.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 13 Old Feb 7th, 2012, 7:43 pm

I came from an LT and a 1200 GSA, both of which were higher off the ground. But I can easily flat-foot my 1600 GTL (I'm 6'1") in a garage and get it pointed out after pulling straight in. Takes time but the bike moves nicely with the low center of gravity.
post #5 of 13 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 10:24 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses and thoughts. Very reassuring especially the note about being able to flat-foot your bike in a garage judge bill. I do that today, carefully, with my RT.
post #6 of 13 Old Feb 11th, 2012, 6:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno
Thanks for the responses and thoughts. Very reassuring especially the note about being able to flat-foot your bike in a garage judge bill. I do that today, carefully, with my RT.
If you can flat foot the RT you should have no problem with the K1600 with any of the different seats.

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 13 Old Feb 11th, 2012, 8:59 pm

i'm 5'7" and can flat foot the K1600 GTL easily. Much lower than my C14.
post #8 of 13 Old Feb 12th, 2012, 3:30 am

I generally have no issue 5ft10 and can stand flat foot.

I've also got a Wunderlich easy park And it's really easy to move the bike around in the garage.
post #9 of 13 Old Feb 13th, 2012, 1:28 am

I've owned R1100/R1150RTs, an R1200RT, several K1200LTs and now a K1600GTL.

The K16 is easier to move around than the K12, not much more than the R11xxRTs.

For me, the biggest difference is the rear width -- BMW has gone to *very* wide saddlebags, so you have to pay close attention to keep from rubbing the K16 saddlebags against something like a door when you are backing it up.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #10 of 13 Old Feb 13th, 2012, 7:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett

For me, the biggest difference is the rear width -- BMW has gone to *very* wide saddlebags, so you have to pay close attention to keep from rubbing the K16 saddlebags against something like a door when you are backing it up.
Are you saying your ass makes this bike look fat?

Stevie Shreeve
post #11 of 13 Old Feb 13th, 2012, 7:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Are you saying your ass makes this bike look fat?
That's FAST!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #12 of 13 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 8:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno
Hi folks,

I am now on the cusp of moving from an R1100RT to a K1600GT after taking a test drive last week. Ironically, I did not have much time to move the bike around when it was not running as the kind sales staff did that for me. Will go back this week to check it out but was wondering if folks here might share overall impressions regarding moving a GT around by hand in a garage, settling into a parking space etc.?

My R1100RT is around 550 lbs. so it is not as light as the latest RTs but a jump to around 767 lbs. seems significant for manual maneuvering.

All that I have read about the bike being amazingly light on the move was true during my test ride by the way. Any thoughts appreciated.
something about a Test Drive just sticks in my craw. I aways drive an auto or truck and ride a horse or bike or cycle. Is it just me?
post #13 of 13 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 9:20 pm Thread Starter

Yep. Well spotted. Obviously I meant to type "test ride". And what a nice one it was too. Will likely be driving a lot less soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in