Talk me out of a K1600GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 Old Jan 31st, 2012, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Talk me out of a K1600GT

Hey gang,

First time poster here, so be gentle. I've been saving up my pennies to grab a new GSA for the better part of a year, but stumbled upon the K1600GT at my local dealer today and I have to say, my decision to buy the GSA just got a bit more convoluted.

A little background on me - been riding seriously for a few years and am more of a tourer than an off-roader (prefer the twisties more than the fire roads). When I go on trips, I camp, so I need a bike that can carry my gear; generally a wet bag, a tent, sleeping bag/pad, and a Kermit chair. Wind protection, comfort, ability to carry my gear, and range are my top priorities. I'm 6'0" with a 30"-32" inseam, and fat (260lbs), so a big bike helps. Current bike is an Aprilia Mana 850 (yes, that automatic bike) that I've got farkled-out as a sport tourer (windscreen, hard bags, heated grips, handguards, etc.). The Mana's great, but I long for something with a little more oomph, set up to go longer distances between fueling, and the ability to do so comfortably. I ride year-round in Iowa, when there's no ice on the road, so the ability to heat things up is also paramount. Not too picky, am I?

Things I like about the GT:
- Ergos seem spot on.
- I love gadgets and the GT with it's Idrive and all that TFT screen goodness is just "neato"!
- Unlike the GSA, I can easily flat foot the GT and it seems comfortable, at least to just sit on.
- Electronic windscreen and those little air scoops look like they'd deflect air nicely, setting up a nice little cushion of clean air around the driver.
- Cruise control? Are you serious? C'mon!
- Adaptive headlights? What kind of year 3000 technology is this? C'mon!

Things that make me go hmmmm......
- Luggage. Looks nice and roomy, but I really loathe side loading vs. top loading bags. I know there's nothing I can do about, but allow me to complain nonetheless.
- Relatively new engine/tech - not as "tested" as the boxer.
- Lots of tupperware to remove to do my own wrenching/replace if it goes down. But, chicks love scars, so that's cool.
- Pricey. I'm assuming/hoping, you get what you pay for, but the price is approaching ludicrous levels (for me anyway). A fully loaded GSA is just a tad lower, so I shouldn't be too out of whack, but for some reason, I buckle at motorbike costs over the $20K mark. I know, I should just deal with it and move on...

One crucial thing missing is a test drive, so I'll setting one up when the weather gets a bit better here in the spring.

So, anyway, there you have it. I understand I've loaded the deck a bit and, really, what do I expect to hear on a board dedicated to the K1600s... but I'm interested if any of you fine folks have been in a similar "dilemma".

Thanks in advance for all your insight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old Jan 31st, 2012, 6:59 pm

Re: Talk me out of a K1600GT

Welcome to the forum.
I love the bike but ride 2 up and the wife does not, too much wind for her so the LT stays.
with your size you will want the tall seat option.
You may be happier with the K1600GLT vs. the K1600GT
BUY IT and RIDE IT!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 53 Old Jan 31st, 2012, 7:08 pm

Hope this helps to talk you out of it...

Steve W
Canton, MI USA

2012 K 1600 GT (#901 from 8/6/2011)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 53 Old Jan 31st, 2012, 7:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Put you hands up and step away from that bike!

Really, don't take it for a ride or else you'll be making an emotional decision and justifying it with logic. The K1600 is an awesome machine and it just gets better and better. For more detailed information, go to the other K1600 site and they too will talk you out of it.

http://www.k1600forum.com/

For me, it took a while to really appreciate what the bike will do. Just take it for a ride. Everything else will fall into place.

The red one is gorgeous if you are leaning toward the GT.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 53 Old Jan 31st, 2012, 7:25 pm

I will second all comments. Do not, whatever you do, sit on this bike. And for all that is good in this world, do not take it for a test drive. I took mine for a quick test drive and the damn thing followed me home. Now it just begs me to ride it, and you know what? I do. And it is sweet. Just do not feed it at night or get it wet; it will make you love it more. Step away, run and do not look back or else you will end up owing the most comfortable and exciting bike there is out there.

JMHO

Bob
2011 K1600 GTL
Victoria, BC
Canada
post #6 of 53 Old Jan 31st, 2012, 7:31 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspice
Talk me out of a K1600GT
No.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 53 Old Jan 31st, 2012, 9:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
No.
Thread hijack, sorry!

I'm going to research this, but I'm thinking this must be Ken's shortest post EVER!

Un-hijack!

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #8 of 53 Old Feb 1st, 2012, 5:37 am

Quote:
Hey gang,

First time poster here, so be gentle. I've been saving up my pennies to grab a new GSA for the better part of a year, but stumbled upon the K1600GT at my local dealer today and I have to say, my decision to buy the GSA just got a bit more convoluted.

A little background on me - been riding seriously for a few years and am more of a tourer than an off-roader (prefer the twisties more than the fire roads). When I go on trips, I camp, so I need a bike that can carry my gear; generally a wet bag, a tent, sleeping bag/pad, and a Kermit chair. Wind protection, comfort, ability to carry my gear, and range are my top priorities. I'm 6'0" with a 30"-32" inseam, and fat (260lbs), so a big bike helps. Current bike is an Aprilia Mana 850 (yes, that automatic bike) that I've got farkled-out as a sport tourer (windscreen, hard bags, heated grips, handguards, etc.). The Mana's great, but I long for something with a little more oomph, set up to go longer distances between fueling, and the ability to do so comfortably. I ride year-round in Iowa, when there's no ice on the road, so the ability to heat things up is also paramount. Not too picky, am I?

Things I like about the GT:
- Ergos seem spot on.
- I love gadgets and the GT with it's Idrive and all that TFT screen goodness is just "neato"!
- Unlike the GSA, I can easily flat foot the GT and it seems comfortable, at least to just sit on.
- Electronic windscreen and those little air scoops look like they'd deflect air nicely, setting up a nice little cushion of clean air around the driver.
- Cruise control? Are you serious? C'mon!
- Adaptive headlights? What kind of year 3000 technology is this? C'mon!

Things that make me go hmmmm......
- Luggage. Looks nice and roomy, but I really loathe side loading vs. top loading bags. I know there's nothing I can do about, but allow me to complain nonetheless.
- Relatively new engine/tech - not as "tested" as the boxer.
- Lots of tupperware to remove to do my own wrenching/replace if it goes down. But, chicks love scars, so that's cool.
- Pricey. I'm assuming/hoping, you get what you pay for, but the price is approaching ludicrous levels (for me anyway). A fully loaded GSA is just a tad lower, so I shouldn't be too out of whack, but for some reason, I buckle at motorbike costs over the $20K mark. I know, I should just deal with it and move on...

One crucial thing missing is a test drive, so I'll setting one up when the weather gets a bit better here in the spring.

So, anyway, there you have it. I understand I've loaded the deck a bit and, really, what do I expect to hear on a board dedicated to the K1600s... but I'm interested if any of you fine folks have been in a similar "dilemma".

Thanks in advance for all your insight!
Welcome to the site. I'm a newbie too.

I've not dared to sit on one (wallet couldn't take what would almost certainly happen if I did).

Only thing I'd say is that all the reviews I've read see this as a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde bike : absolutely awesome to ride, wonderful on the motorway (sorry, highway) and the twisties, and seriously likely to get your licence into difficulty if you don't use the cruise control... :-)

Downside seems to be that it drinks oil, and has a tendency to leak it, and it can flip over into limp home mode for no apparently good reason. I cannot gainsay those who have it and ride it, but I tend to be naturally cautious with new technology (just getting used to this here computer thing...).

The magazine "Ride" has run three separate tests on it over the past three or four issues, which are enlightening, as they tend to reinforce the split response to the 1600, as do the letters pages, mostly with readers complaining about warranty issues.

Good luck, which ever way you jump, and enjoy the ride.

2008 K1200LTLux

Four wheels good
Two wheels better
post #9 of 53 Old Feb 1st, 2012, 6:37 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibarftast
Welcome to the site. I'm a newbie too.

I've not dared to sit on one.

Only thing I'd say is that all the reviews I've read see this as a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde bike.

Downside seems to be that it drinks oil, and has a tendency to leak it, and it can flip over into limp home mode for no apparently good reason.

as do the letters pages, mostly with readers complaining about warranty issues.
You make some awfully negative comments that are just not accurate. I did pull them out of context, but I don't think that I changed what you said, just got ride of the "glitter!"

I guess it's as easy for me to say no as it is for you to say yes. It's hard to prove the positive except that I say show me. Just not sure where you are coming from!

Not sure where you are trying to go, but in all of my reading since the first of this year and having owned the bike since July, you really do paint with a broad negative brush that just is not accurate. Anecdotal at best. If I'm wrong I will definitely apologies.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #10 of 53 Old Feb 1st, 2012, 6:41 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Downside seems to be that it drinks oil, and has a tendency to leak it, and it can flip over into limp home mode for no apparently good reason. I cannot gainsay those who have it and ride it, but I tend to be naturally cautious with new technology (just getting used to this here computer thing...).

The magazine "Ride" has run three separate tests on it over the past three or four issues, which are enlightening, as they tend to reinforce the split response to the 1600, as do the letters pages, mostly with readers complaining about warranty issues.

Good luck, which ever way you jump, and enjoy the ride.
First to OLDSPICE The K1600 is a great bike!! I love my GTL much more then I did my K1200LT. Just ride one & make up your own mind.

Now for Slartibarftast's comments
THEY DO NOT drink oil. Some do use a little oil but not all do. Mine used about 1 quart in the first 4000 miles & then another 1/3 quart in the last 3500 miles. There have been NO reports that I know of about any K1600 leaking oil. There have been a few water pumps start leaking & I had to wait 6 weeks for a new pump. I would not call that a "Warranty" issue but a supply issue. I'm not sure what you mean when you say "it can flip over into limp home mode for no apparently good reason" Mine has run flawlessly. Like any "NEW" model there are a few "MINOR" issues that needed to be fixed. Like loose of the I-Pod connection , Trip mileage reset to early & cold starting but all that was fixed with the first software update. Bottom line is the K1600 is one of the best bikes ever made (in my opinion) & most people would love to have one in the garage.

Stevie Shreeve
post #11 of 53 Old Feb 1st, 2012, 7:06 am

Quote:
Now for Slartibarftast's comments
THEY DO NOT drink oil. Some do use a little oil but not all do. Mine used about 1 quart in the first 4000 miles & then another 1/3 quart in the last 3500 miles. There have been NO reports that I know of about any K1600 leaking oil. There have been a few water pumps start leaking & I had to wait 6 weeks for a new pump. I would not call that a "Warranty" issue but a supply issue. I'm not sure what you mean when you say "it can flip over into limp home mode for no apparently good reason" Mine has run flawlessly. Like any "NEW" model there are a few "MINOR" issues that needed to be fixed. Like loose of the I-Pod connection , Trip mileage reset to early & cold starting but all that was fixed with the first software update. Bottom line is the K1600 is one of the best bikes ever made (in my opinion) & most people would love to have one in the garage.
Whoa bike! I'm simply reporting what has been reported in the motorcycle press on this side of the Atlantic, and they have been reported as both oil-thirsty and leaky -- including by disgruntled owners ; disgruntled not by the bike, but by the niggly ongoing issues. Limp home mode is when the bike thinks it's overheating and shuts all systems down to absolute minimum. I didn't say it was a bad bike, and am in no position to do so, but it strikes me as fair that possible teething issues should be reported. Don't shoot the messenger, please...

2008 K1200LTLux

Four wheels good
Two wheels better
post #12 of 53 Old Feb 1st, 2012, 7:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Don't shoot the messenger, please...
This forum link will better answer you burning oil question:

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-.../3073-oil.html

First hand reports (anecdotal maybe, but actual users, not broad swings)

Sorry, but the messenger needs to be shot (called out) when inaccurate information is touted as fact!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Last edited by DanDiver; Feb 1st, 2012 at 7:42 am.
post #13 of 53 Old Feb 1st, 2012, 7:17 am

Quote:
Whoa bike! I'm simply reporting what has been reported in the motorcycle press on this side of the Atlantic, and they have been reported as both oil-thirsty and leaky -- including by disgruntled owners ; disgruntled not by the bike, but by the niggly ongoing issues. Limp home mode is when the bike thinks it's overheating and shuts all systems down to absolute minimum. I didn't say it was a bad bike, and am in no position to do so, but it strikes me as fair that possible teething issues should be reported. Don't shoot the messenger, please...
Fair enough. I have followed this bike from the very first "Spy Shot' of it & was the 31st person to order one in the states. I still have not heard of any bikes leaking oil or getting hot & having to "Limp Home" here in the states. Those issues must have been fixed before we started getting bike state side.

Stevie Shreeve
post #14 of 53 Old Feb 1st, 2012, 10:25 am Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks to you all for the responses. With the unseasonably warm weather for Jan/Feb here in the heartland, I'm hoping to talk my dealer into a test ride (I know, I know, that will ring the death knell, but I'll try to use constraint). They have a GTL demo, but have a dealer plate on the GT, so I'm thinking I can talk them into letting me take it out for a spin. I guess if I have to, I'll give the GTL a shot
post #15 of 53 Old Feb 1st, 2012, 11:17 am

My GTL has run flawlessly..the only problem is the huge smile I get when I cut her loose!
post #16 of 53 Old Feb 1st, 2012, 3:23 pm

I have a GSA and it has served me well so far. I just changed the shocks (WESA) due to leaking back shock. It is tall and taller now with the new shocks. It took me around the US (11,000 miles) without any issues other that tires. I really like this bike but if I could I'd own a K1600GT as well.

So, don't skimp, just get both and split the mileage and fun between the 2. You won't have to replace them as soon

Art Kester
post #17 of 53 Old Feb 1st, 2012, 3:31 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
How much are the GTLs going for in the US?
Too much.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #18 of 53 Old Feb 1st, 2012, 4:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Dave, I think mine was loaded with the engine protection bars, fog lights and GPS and with tax, title, destination charges, dealer prep, and a few other areas of EDP (extra dealer profit) came to around $29,800. The basic bike package was $26,340.00.

I'm not sure if there were any accessories that were available at the time that were not included.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #19 of 53 Old Feb 1st, 2012, 5:53 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
That's a given, but what's the going rate?
The preorder bikes were all fully loaded, with nary a discount to be found. Some dealers maybe threw in a GPS, but that was about it.

These bikes are still a bit scarce, so not sure if you'd get much of a better deal now.

BMW required that dealers keep the demo bikes through 2011, so some of those may be coming up for sale at a slight discount. Your best bet is to just shop around to find a dealer that has one in stock and see what you might be able to talk them into . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #20 of 53 Old Feb 1st, 2012, 7:02 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Well, was able to put about an hour in the saddle of a GT today and, wow, what a silky smooth ride. Very nice. In fact, almost too nice! For a big bike, once under way, it was very easy to lean into corners and maneuver. Playing with the different modes was fun too. Even Rain wasn't too bad in terms of power delivery. And holy cow, what power. I took in on the interstate to test out that crazy cruise control and barely even noticed I was approaching triple digits! Whoops.

Overall, a very nice, refined bike.

That all said... and don't kill me.... I don't think it's for me. It's super comfortable and has a lot of very good things going for it, but I just didn't feel it.

I'll mull it over and probably take it out for a couple more test rides before I come to a final decision.

Things that blew me away:
- electronic screen - very cool to dial in just the perfect envelope of clean air
- heated grips - a must
- heated seats - almost a must
- that thumbwheel is a revolutionary step forward in motorbike computer navigation - very intuitive.

So, there you have it. Lay it on me.
post #21 of 53 Old Feb 1st, 2012, 7:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

It must be you! Everyone else likes it... :-(

Really just kidding... The reason there are so many different bikes is because we are all different. Quite frankly though, after I made the decision to buy, I had a lot of second doubts.

Even after it came in and I had 500 miles on her, I still thought that I had made a really big mistake. I just did not feel like I had a good handle on how to ride her and what I thought should be second nature had me perplexed.

It really took me a little more than 1,000 miles before I was comfortable and knew that I had made a good decision. For me, the K1600GTL was definitely an acquired taste. After almost 5,000 miles, the ride is still getting better and better.

Just hope that I don't loose the FD!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #22 of 53 Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 5:50 am

OK. Just went through the decision process on whether to buy a GTL or not. I did not. Why? Because I am mostly a two up rider and the GTL has less storage than a LT and less space for the pillion rider and is therefore not as comfortable for my bride. Everyone knows if your pillion ain't happy, no one is happy. The rest of the bike is fantastic. Love the engine and tranny as well as all the tech toys, but hope they tune out the tranny whine somewhere down the road.

Ultra LT
05 K1200LT
08 R1200R
10 R1200RT
post #23 of 53 Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 7:56 am

Quote:
Thanks to you all for the responses. With the unseasonably warm weather for Jan/Feb here in the heartland, I'm hoping to talk my dealer into a test ride (I know, I know, that will ring the death knell, but I'll try to use constraint). They have a GTL demo, but have a dealer plate on the GT, so I'm thinking I can talk them into letting me take it out for a spin. I guess if I have to, I'll give the GTL a shot
Oldspice,

I have the same physical characteristics as you. I didn't find my 1300 GT as comfortable on the long rides as I do my 1600 GTL. The 1600 GT is a great bike, and they have the prettier colors to boot. But for long distance riding, the GTL fit my height and weight better. But, again, you have to ride and decide. But do make sure you ride the GTL with the high seat if they have one there. The high seat doesn't appear much higher by visual inspection, but believe me it makes a world of difference after you start riding. Saved my knees a bunch of pain.

As for the guy telling you about the oil leaks, computer failures, wheels bursting into flames and locusts crawling out of the tail pipes. Well, I received # 394 and it has been a very good bike. True, I just had the left switch cluster replaced for the second time yesterday, but everything else on the bike has been great. I do know there have been several water pumps that are seeping/leaking, but they usually show up very early and are fixed without problem under warranty. So far, at 11,000 miles, my bike is dry. And, BMW has mastered the production of the straight 6 engine, and this one is no different. While my bike was in for service Tuesday the dealer loaned me a F800R for the day. The little 800 is a nice bike, but compared to my GTL it was like riding a paint shaker.

I do love the boxer motor, and have a RT in the garage with nearly 111,000 miles on it. It is fun to ride but it can't come close to the sheer exhilaration of riding the 1600. And whether you decide on a GT or GTL either way you'll have a great bike. I do believe the GTL would be better suited for your heavy camping pack, but again that just my humble opinion.

The GS is an awesome bike that will do all you ask of it without complaint. The 1600 is an uberbike that will surpass even your wildest imagination. Only thing is, it keeps surprising you with it's hidden charms every time you ride it.

Greg

"Loud lives save pipes"

00 K1200LT (Emil) 94,840 trouble free miles. Gone, but not forgotten
02 R1150RT (Artie) 109,000 miles. Favorite bike. With me to the end.
10 K1300GT (The Phantom) 10,110 miles. Like flying a T-38 on 2 wheels. Gone.
12 K1600GTL (Johnny 5) 3,500. A great compromise between the LT and GT

A gaggle of Japanese bikes, then I woke up.
post #24 of 53 Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 9:04 am

To Dano

re. your message posted at 12:37 GMT yesterday, you misquoted my original post. You gave my first paragraph as only :

"I've not dared to sit on one."

What I actually wrote was :

"I've not dared to sit on one (wallet couldn't take what would almost certainly happen if I did)."

I grant that that may be miscontrued, but it was meant along the lines of "I'd almost certainly want to buy one, and I haven't got the disposable income / ability to afford the divorce settlement ".

I hope that clarifies a thing or two.

Slarti

2008 K1200LTLux

Four wheels good
Two wheels better
post #25 of 53 Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 2:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'm sorry Slarti, I didn't mean to do that.

It's all in fun and sometimes we (me in particular) take ourselves a little too seriously. As soon as I read what I thought I needed, I stopped reading.

There are lots of great motorcycles out there and I hope I always get to keep trying them all of them out.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #26 of 53 Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 8:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
This forum link will better answer you burning oil question:

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-.../3073-oil.html

First hand reports (anecdotal maybe, but actual users, not broad swings)
Where you'll find a member there shouted down and called names for admitting his bike started out using oil.
post #27 of 53 Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 5:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I'm sorry Slarti, I didn't mean to do that.

It's all in fun and sometimes we (me in particular) take ourselves a little too seriously. As soon as I read what I thought I needed, I stopped reading.

There are lots of great motorcycles out there and I hope I always get to keep trying them all of them out.
No problem, Dano. I'm a relative newbie on bikes anyway, only 20 months (see my post on the "should I buy a 1200 RT" thread).

When my Lux was in for service, I was loaned a K1300S with quickshifter. Scared the bejaysus out of me. And left a serious smile on my face, but not for me coz completely the wrong geometry for two up touring.

Slarti

2008 K1200LTLux

Four wheels good
Two wheels better
post #28 of 53 Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 10:04 am
Lifetime Supporter

Great bike but on the demo ride I felt quite a bit of heat mid ankle/calf. Can't remember which side.

Need to do it again to see if it's me or the bike.
Otherwise, I suspect that the temptation for speed will alter my current riding parameters!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #29 of 53 Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 1:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Great bike but on the demo ride I felt quite a bit of heat mid ankle/calf. Can't remember which side.

Need to do it again to see if it's me or the bike.
Otherwise, I suspect that the temptation for speed will alter my current riding parameters!
There is some heat on the left side but it is not bad. I just slide my foot out to the end of the foot peg & it goes away. it really helps in the cold as you have a left side foot warmer.

Stevie Shreeve
post #30 of 53 Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 1:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

THAT is the one thing that must be broken on my bike. The lower leg heater control switch. Mine is stuck on the left side. Wish I could get it to share on both sides.

Actually the heat was annoying at first because I took delivery in Florida, in the summer. This time of the year, it isn't so bad, but it would be nice if it was evenly distributed. I did find that after I added the Suburban lowering pegs they extended my left leg out a little and a lot of the heat went away. I also ride now with my left foot pointed out more when I notice the heat and it almost disappears.

Maybe the next addition will make the heat adjustable.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #31 of 53 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 7:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

Because OIL was part of this topic and the way that it is measured in a K1600 is very critical, I thought I'd add this short blurb. It is why some have thought that their bike was burning oil, when in fact it wasnít and they added oil unnecessarily.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Be sure that you are checking the oil correctly. It is not like any other bike I've owned in this area. If you just ride it and then check, or when cold, check it, you won't be doing it correctly.

If I check mine cold, it is low. Hot and it's just right.

The bike must be warm and hot enough to kick on the fan. Manual says to ride the bike till it is warm, keep running on the centerstand till the fan kicks on and let run for an additional minute. Shut if off and then check immediately. Wait too long and the oil level won't measure correctly.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #32 of 53 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 10:20 am

I dunno about the OP, but this thread adds to the pile (albeit a small one) of 'cons' regarding *my* purchase of a K1600GT/L. Left-side heat, oil usage, parts falling off (not that I like chrome anyway ... but REALLY BMW???). Patience = virtue?

I guess it served me well to wait for Kawasaki to fix all the bugs on the Concours14 when they released the updated 2010 model. I can't find a single flaw with my '10 Connie. Sure, I replaced the windshield, but what BMW owner doesn't do that as well? Oh wait ... I did have to install aftermarket cruise control for $240 (now available for $170).

"Me first" usually has it associated costs. I was in that group with my purchase of the 2006 K1200GT. At 19K, it's newly designed "sealed" final drive let loose causing me to eventually sell the bike. 'Twas a shame too. I loved that bike.

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
  • 2010 Kawasaki Concours14
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
  • 2005 Harley V-Rod Chrome Edition
  • 2003 Harley V-Rod Anniversary Edition
post #33 of 53 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 12:41 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

If you want a K16, then buy a K16.

If you're happy with your perfect C14, then stick with that. Seems simple enough . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #34 of 53 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 1:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
If you want a K16, then buy a K16.

If you're happy with your perfect C14, then stick with that. Seems simple enough . . .
I have to agree with Lee, your posts are getting shorter. What's up with that? Haha!

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #35 of 53 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 5:31 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Sometimes, it doesn't take much to make your point.

Besides, I don't have much to say about the Slant/6 bikes - yet.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #36 of 53 Old Feb 5th, 2012, 8:50 am

Quote:
Hey gang,

A little background on me - been riding seriously for a few years and am more of a tourer Wind protection, comfort, ability to carry my gear, and range are my top priorities. I'm 6'0" with a 30"-32" inseam, and fat (260lbs), so a big bike helps. C
I would say that most people are missing the important question that the OP had. GSA vs K1600.

As one who went from the K12LT you will see that the GSA and K bikes are apples and oranges. In fact to compare the two are not even fair.

GSA = dual sport motorcycles on road/ offroad
GSA = twin / boxer engine / air cooled
GSA = seat height = 35.2 in
GSA = no fairing to speak of
GSA = 109 hp +/-
GSA = 490 lb (dry)
GS = best selling motorcycle that BMW has built
GSA = available off road tires / loves the dirt, gravel, muddy waters, rutts etc.

K1600 = sport tourer
K1600 = straight-six engine
K1600 = 29.5 inches +/-
K1600 = 160.00 HP
K1600 = 707.7 pounds (dry)
K1600 = brand new, in high demand
K1600 = super slab eater (I dare you to take this one on a muddy road, gravel, dirt with ruts)

These are just a few of the differences between the GSA and the K1600.

I love my GSA and I loved my K12LT.

When I am done keeping the GSA for 12+ months and 25K miles, and the time has come for me to consider a new ride, I will for sure take the advice of Dan Diver and take the K16 for a ride and see if one will follow me home...

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #37 of 53 Old Feb 6th, 2012, 7:17 am

I did extensive test rides on a GSA and K16GTL last summer, and I ended up on an R12RT. Here was my thought process.

I ride around 30,000 miles a year on my bikes (the Night Train gets about 5,000 a year, whatever my other bike is gets the remaining 25,000). My riding is made up of DC-area commuting, pleasure riding on the weekends, hitting the mountains as hard as I dare, and several multi-thousand mile road trips (usually one big 10-day trip, and a bunch of long weekends). I carry a passenger probably 40% of the time. I have accepted the fact that no manufacturer designs a bike to suit my needs perfectly, and no matter what I'm compromising something by trying to get one bike to fill all these roles.

For the two years prior to last Thanksgiving, I was riding a 2010 H-D Ultra Limited, and it fulfilled my needs relatively well once I threw a fair amount of money at the suspension and various comfort bits (I'm convinced that there's an industry-wide conspiracy that puts crappy seats and windshields on bikes). Had it not been for an inattentive driver, I'd still be riding it. But last summer, I started getting the itch for something different.

In an attempt to connect with my inner Charley Boorman, I took a test ride on a GSA, and I was instantly hooked. I haven't had that much fun on a bike since I was a kid riding a TL125. No kidding, I was grinning ear-to-ear the entire ride. The bike was quick, handled like a dream, stopped on a dime, and was just stupid easy to throw around. I took my wife out to Bob's to test ride it a few days later, and I was like an eager teenager on prom night. She loved it too, and I was ready to pull the trigger on bike #3 (since I couldn't see us using the GSA as a touring platform, and I won't sell the Night Train).

When we came back from that ride, the salesman suggested we try the GTL. We were more than happy to, given how well the GSA test went. Needless to say, we were underwhelmed. My Harley weighed 900 pounds, and other than when it was falling on me, I never noticed it. I could turn that thing around at walking speeds without a care in the world. The GTL was 100 pounds lighter, and I never would have guessed that. The center of gravity is higher, and the control relationship isn't nearly as parking lot friendly.

The motor is turbine-smooth, and the power is intoxicating, but the weight rears its head every time the road gets twisty. The suspension, brakes, and available lean angle allow the GTL to be ridden hard, but the subjective feel through the bars implies tremendous bulk is being moved. In other words, the bike can be thrown around, but it doesn't dance. The ergos were good though, and with the addition of some highway pegs, I could see riding it over long distances.

And as a big tourer, it didn't coddle my wife the way it should. The wind management for the pillion is terrible, and the seat's awful (but that's the global conspiracy). The top box moved around too much on the mount, making it all but worthless as a backrest on a bumpy road (to be fair, the one on my RT does the same thing, I've got to figure out a shim to keep it still).

And it's certainly priced in the right neighborhood when it's compared to the big Harleys, the 'Wing, and the touring Vics. But it wasn't enough to convince me to trade the Ultra on, especially considering it's a first-year, clean-sheet design. I'll let others do BMW's beta-testing, thankyouverymuch.

We ended up deciding to move, so bike #3 got back-burnered, and then the accident happened, and we had to replace the tourer. When I started bike shopping again, the GTL hardly ever came up, primarily due to the weight and balance issue. I'm done with barges at the moment, and never seriously considered anything that big. I still couldn't see us doing 800 mile 2-up days on a GSA, so I went for the RT. I don't regret it a bit, especially when you factor in how easy it is to work on a boxer.

YMMV, of course.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650
post #38 of 53 Old Feb 6th, 2012, 2:50 pm
Ric

I have been out of the loop for a while so perhaps someone can answer a question for me: how can one compare a 1600 Gt/Gtl to a Gsa? Other than the fact they are made by the same company is there anything remotely similar about them besides they each have two wheels? That's almost like asking someone to talk you out of buying an H-D Ultra and onto a Sportser! I don't get it? Unless someone can show me something I am missing there simply is no comparison between the two. You can't really compare the 1600 to a Goldwing as they are completely different bikes setup for different riding styles. If you try to compare them you are missing the point by a country mile.

And all this banter about the negatives with a 1600 are killing me. Is there a "PERFECT" motorcycle out there? If so PLEASE TELL US who makes it so I can run out and buy one or two! There is NO perfect bike...period. They all have their good and bad points. A knowledgeable potential buyer will try to sift through all those points and hopefully come up with the one bike that best suits his needs. All kidding aside, if a buyer looks long and hard enough and really investigates what is out there he/she will find the bike they like best. It is usually after they look in the rear view mirror on a test ride and see a big old smile on their face....and a voice inside saying, "this is the bike for ME!" And trust me that information should not come from the internet or a magazine....it should come from the seat of your pants!!

One last point, if you believe half of the B.S, in motorcycle rags or half of the complaining on motorcycle forums then you are in bad, bad shape. Most complaints come from a very small segment of people that have nothing better to do than b***h making life misearable for everyone else. Get a life for Pete's sake, if you don't like what you are riding sell it post haste and move on to something else that you can gripe about!
Rick
post #39 of 53 Old Feb 6th, 2012, 7:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
I have been out of the loop for a while so perhaps someone can answer a question for me: how can one compare a 1600 Gt/Gtl to a Gsa? Other than the fact they are made by the same company is there anything remotely similar about them besides they each have two wheels? That's almost like asking someone to talk you out of buying an H-D Ultra and onto a Sportser! I don't get it? Unless someone can show me something I am missing there simply is no comparison between the two. You can't really compare the 1600 to a Goldwing as they are completely different bikes setup for different riding styles. If you try to compare them you are missing the point by a country mile.
BMW made it clear prior to and during the K16's launch that they were looking to take a bite out of the 'Wing's market. Like it or not, the K16 (particularly the GTL) is aimed squarely at the 'Wing, the Vision, and the Ultra. It's more sport-oriented than all of them, but it's pretty clear what the Mothership's targets were if you look at the luggage space and the feature set to the bike.

And there's nothing wrong with BMW targeting that market, there's a ton of money to be made there. But don't make the K16 out to be something it's not. It's a luxury tourer with sporting pretensions. Nothing wrong with that at all.

And I can guaran-damn-tee you that there are legions of GS/GSA riders who would never consider a K16, no matter how much long-distance touring they do. Everyone finds the bike that suits them, and there are a good number of riders who would never consider such a big, heavy bike.

Everyone just enjoy your own ride, cool?

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650
post #40 of 53 Old Feb 6th, 2012, 8:01 pm
Ric

05 Train : I agree with most of what you say, but CLEARLY the 1600 is not, in current form, a Wing or an H-D tourer. I don't know where the term sport-touring came from and I have been riding a long, long time, but Wings and H-D touring bikes are just that....touring bikes, not really for "sport-touring". In a pinch can they be sport-touring bikes, perhaps for some people, but not by my definition. Realistically, if BMW said they wanted a chunk of the H-D and Wing market they missed the boat. If that was the case they should have shoe horned the 1600 engine into the LT and called it a day because the LT is/was a true touring bike. I don't know of a "sport-touring" bike in the Harley line up that is in the same league as the GT/GTL and Honda is just all over the board with sport bikes.

Rick
post #41 of 53 Old Feb 6th, 2012, 8:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
05 Train : I agree with most of what you say, but CLEARLY the 1600 is not, in current form, a Wing or an H-D tourer. I don't know where the term sport-touring came from and I have been riding a long, long time, but Wings and H-D touring bikes are just that....touring bikes, not really for "sport-touring". In a pinch can they be sport-touring bikes, perhaps for some people, but not by my definition. Realistically, if BMW said they wanted a chunk of the H-D and Wing market they missed the boat. If that was the case they should have shoe horned the 1600 engine into the LT and called it a day because the LT is/was a true touring bike. I don't know of a "sport-touring" bike in the Harley line up that is in the same league as the GT/GTL and Honda is just all over the board with sport bikes.
As I said, the K16 has far more sport-touring pretensions than its competitors, but then again, there isn't really much sporting about an 800 pound motorcycle, is there?

Now granted, the K16 more closely competes with the 'Wing than the Vision or the Ultra, but that's both to its benefit and its detriment. There is a HUGE market for the laid-back, foot-forward tourers as evidenced by Harley's sales and Victory's emulation of their riding position. BMW changed the GT's rider's triangle for the GTL to try to suit that kind of rider. In many ways they succeeded, as I was all but ready to jump ship from my Ultra to the GTL were it not for a few niggling issues.

Look, the K16 is a damn good bike, but I think it's trying to serve too many masters. If the GT lost a few pounds, it'd be a great sport-tourer. If the GTL worked on it's wind management and pillion amenities, it'd be a world-beating luxury tourer.

It's the first year of the bikes, and the Mothership deserves credit for getting so close to the mark.

2005 H-D FXSTB/I
2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650
post #42 of 53 Old Feb 11th, 2012, 8:48 pm

Picked up my K1600 GTL today. Did around 140 miles for a break-in ride then left an oil-stain on my friends drive-way. The bike is leaking oil somewhere from the right hand side - can't tell where just yet. It's obviously weeping out during riding - i can see the marks on the right hand exhaust. Not very happy right now - hoping the dealer will sort it quickly!
post #43 of 53 Old Feb 11th, 2012, 8:55 pm

I should also say that I love the bike - it is a wonderful thing. Smooth and buttery to ride. Makes me feel like I'm riding an automatic. Keep getting to the lights and realizing i'm still in 4th gear .

Just a little miffed at dropping the best part of 30k on a bike to find it has an oil leak which should have been found during basic testing.
post #44 of 53 Old Feb 11th, 2012, 11:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldigger

Just a little miffed at dropping the best part of 30k on a bike to find it has an oil leak which should have been found during basic testing.
In all fairness to your dealer, you rode the bike 140 miles and they are only required to put 3 miles on the bike before they can deliver it. Your bike may not have started leaking until you'd put a few more miles on it. I traded a LT with just shy of 95,000 miles on it. The whole time I owned it, it didn't leak oil. I traded it and it sat on the dealer's showroom floor for two weeks and went on 3 test rides, all without any oil leaks. Then the new owner bought it, rode it only 163 miles and the rear main let go and it puked all the oil out on the clutch.

My point is not that you should be happy about your brand new GTL leaking oil. I'd be upset/angry/pissed (circle one) if that happened to me and you have my sympathies. Just don't be angry at your dealer for it. Give him a chance to look at the bike and settle it under warranty. Chances are you will get a nice loaner bike to ride while they find and remedy the situation.

Hang in there, it will get better but I am sorry that your new bike let you down so soon.

Greg

"Loud lives save pipes"

00 K1200LT (Emil) 94,840 trouble free miles. Gone, but not forgotten
02 R1150RT (Artie) 109,000 miles. Favorite bike. With me to the end.
10 K1300GT (The Phantom) 10,110 miles. Like flying a T-38 on 2 wheels. Gone.
12 K1600GTL (Johnny 5) 3,500. A great compromise between the LT and GT

A gaggle of Japanese bikes, then I woke up.
post #45 of 53 Old Feb 12th, 2012, 3:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldigger
Picked up my K1600 GTL today. Did around 140 miles for a break-in ride then left an oil-stain on my friends drive-way. The bike is leaking oil somewhere from the right hand side - can't tell where just yet. It's obviously weeping out during riding - i can see the marks on the right hand exhaust. Not very happy right now - hoping the dealer will sort it quickly!
Mine had a leak also. Something to do with a seal not seated properly. The dealer fixed it and all good since. Up to 4000kms.

Long distant memory now ...it is an awesome machine!
post #46 of 53 Old Feb 12th, 2012, 4:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushin9s

My point is not that you should be happy about your brand new GTL leaking oil. I'd be upset/angry/pissed (circle one) if that happened to me and you have my sympathies. Just don't be angry at your dealer for it. Give him a chance to look at the bike and settle it under warranty. Chances are you will get a nice loaner bike to ride while they find and remedy the situation.

Hang in there, it will get better but I am sorry that your new bike let you down so soon.
Actually, I'm not angry at the dealer; I'm disappointed with the manufacturer. The dealer, and the sales guy, were very good to me and will get repeat business. I particularly enjoyed the buying experience.

I know it'll get fixed soon. I can see past the issue and I LOVE the bike.
post #47 of 53 Old Feb 12th, 2012, 5:09 am

Garage

Ok, weight.

2017 R1200RT
2010 R1200RT Sold
2002 R1100S
1993 R100RT
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #48 of 53 Old Feb 12th, 2012, 7:13 am
Lifetime Supporter

Little things happen and it's good that it happened early. That's why there is a warranty.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #49 of 53 Old Feb 13th, 2012, 4:55 pm

Took it back to the dealer this morning first thing. It took around 45 mins to diagnose - the mechanic walked me through the issue (don't be surprised if i screw up the description).

Once you strip off the fairings on the right hand side there is a small (about 3cm across) cast cap the covers the cam belt tensioner. There is an o-ring inside that which he initially though had failed - but turned out to be OK.

A further inspection shows that as part of the manufacturing process they have to drill a hole through the cap in order to complete an internal channel for oil. Then they thread the external facing hole and put in a set screw. This set screw had loctite red on it but had failed to form a seal. Oil was weeping slowly through it and then dripping down on to the right side of the engine.

To fix the problem, the mechanic put some Teflon tape on the set-screw and re-installed it. The whole thing was fixed and tested in around 90 minutes. I've done another 100 miles today with no problems.

All in all this was a very minor problem - albeit quite frustrating for an expensive bike.
post #50 of 53 Old Feb 13th, 2012, 6:14 pm

Sorry Bubba, I can't help you. Just pulled the trigger myself!
Demo'd her for about 3 hours this weekend...
She had me from the second I dialed the throttle to merge on the freeway. Picking her up Saturday... along with the NavIV, 2 Schuberths and engine guards.
(Hopefully, the aftermarket will come up with some guards that might offer a bit of protection for the fairing & sidebags in the event of a "brain seizure" simple drop.)

Still dizzy from vasilating between the SRS & BMW Comm Systems according to the recent posts. So I guess it's time to play Rock, Paper, Scissors with my intuition.

Really all of those whistles & bells are of no importance for the next 1000mi... me finessing my skills on this - is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	34496  

After you know it all, it's what you learn that counts.

Last edited by Two-up; Feb 13th, 2012 at 6:20 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in