New bike - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 7:29 pm Thread Starter

New bike

I just traded in my 2002 K1200 Lt for a K1600 GTL and all I gotta say is WOW. What a difference and what a beautiful bike. I looked at Honda's and a Triumph but they just do not compare to the BMW. Looking forward for the cold to go away so I can get some serious riding in. And learning all there is to know from you guys about this amazing machine.

Bob
2011 K1600 GTL
Victoria, BC
Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 9:22 pm

Re: New bike

Cool...welcome to the club. The LT is a great bike...this is something completely different.

Most have found that after the first 1K miles or so they like it even better, as they get used to the magic throttle and the potential information overload from the info screen and all of the menus.
Handling-wise, I think I am like most in that I found it instantly confidence and awe-inspiring. My shifting took a while to get smoothed out because the throttle response is so instantaneous, it takes a little more precision to get the timing right. But I'm there now baby...I'm there now!
Congratulations and good luck with the bike. There's great info here, and you might want to keep an eye on K1600 Forum as well.
post #3 of 5 Old Jan 26th, 2012, 10:47 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for the link, and yes that throttle will take a bit to get used to. Looking forward to getting as much practice in as I can .

Bob
2011 K1600 GTL
Victoria, BC
Canada

post #4 of 5 Old Jan 27th, 2012, 5:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to a very small group.

I'm not sure if this is the proper way to slow down, but I've found that when slowing down (when I would normally release the gas and use the transmission/engine to slow me down) if you quickly pull in the clutch and then release it as if you have changed gears, only you don't, it make slowing down, very smooth. You can brake at the same time.

Hope that wasn't too confusing!

Takes longer to describe than to do!

I too came from an 02 K1200LT and found that most of the mods and farkles that I added to my last bike were unnecessary on the K1600. The factory did except for the horn!

That I did.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 5 Old Jan 27th, 2012, 8:14 am

I just got my new GT! The bike is amazing!The handling is unreal and i have not revved past 5000 rpms.I'm not sure i need the 8500 rev limit. It pulls from 20mph on up, in 6th gear. BMW hit it on the nose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in