Silly question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 25th, 2012, 2:29 pm Thread Starter

Silly question

I paid the deposit on my new K1600GTL and ask the dealer a few questions, one was what came in the tool kit. The response was not what I expected, he stated new BMW's did not come with a tool kit. So my question to you all is, do they in fact not come with a tool kit, remembering it's been a lot of years since I purchased a new bike?
Thanks Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 25th, 2012, 2:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Silly question

Welcome to a very small club. About 1,300 members.

The K1600GTL comes with a screw driver and and a 2 star bit type devise. That's it. Not much to fix on the bike, so far!

Most people assemble their own, based upon what they feel comfortable fixing on the road. I carry a potable compressor, tire kit and a few other tools.

Everything in the picture came with my 02 K1200LT. The screw driver and tiny Right Angle Star driver are what came with my K1600GHT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0221.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	34335  

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by DanDiver; Jan 25th, 2012 at 3:55 pm. Reason: added picture
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 25th, 2012, 4:35 pm Thread Starter

It would seem that BMW is under the illusion that we the owners are going to call them with each and every problem. That may be true in some cases but then again I must note that BMW repair facilities are spread thin around the US not always accessible in time of need. Just a thought

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 25th, 2012, 7:10 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

If you know enough to do reasonable maintenance on the bike, then you know enough to assemble a reasonable toolkit on your own. Hell, you probably already have the tools that you can stuff into some sort of bag or container for the bike.

That's what I've done for my last several Beemers, regardless of what the factory chose to provide.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 25th, 2012, 7:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Most retail auto stores sell a combination Metric hex/allen combo tool that are compact, a small volt meter, tire repair kit. Duct tape I spool off 3 feet the wind it up tight,small led flashlite,store some emergency cash on board,small first aid kit w/benadryl for bee stings,small eye droplets,Then your set
post #6 of 7 Old Jan 28th, 2012, 10:58 pm

I was actually quite surprised at the "tool kit" that came with the bike. I asked the salesman what I was suppose to with this tool kit-pick rocks out of the tire ???? I know there are several after market bike tool kits available and I will probably get one of those and customise it for this bike.

Bob
2011 K1600 GTL
Victoria, BC
Canada
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 30th, 2012, 6:38 pm

On the Adventure forum it was suggested that when you do your 12K service, pack all the tools that you need into a kit and carry that. You will find that there are a lot of tools that you just don't need from the one size fits all aftermarket kits. I have virtually everything I need except a torque wrench in my tools along with jumper cables and tire patch kit. When I do my normal service I unroll my tools and try to only use them.

Also, since I'm riding a GSA these days I keep a siphon for those friends that don't pack almost 9 gallons of gas

Art Kester

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in