Possible new seat? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 8th, 2012, 8:52 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Possible new seat?

I'm putting this question here because I didn't have the problem on the K1200LT. It seems different on the K1600GTL. I think it is more relevant here.

I'm 5-11, 30'' inseam and weigh around 150 soaking wet. The GTL has the standard stock seat and I've got around 4,400 miles on her.

Normally I ride solo and find that the stock seat with beads and sheeps skin cover is very comfortable. I have suburban peg extenders too. I did a 1,000 mile Iron Butt without a problem and I was in the saddle for 12 1/2 hours.

Here is the challenge. Lately, my wife wants to ride with me and I've found that I seem to be sliding more forward than is comfortable. She rides back against the top case and is not pushing on me. Even in my normal riding position, I find that I would probably be more comfortable if I were back a little. It hard to describe, but I sometimes feel like I'm sliding forward. I don't mind investing in a new seat, just wondering if that is the solution, and which one?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jan 9th, 2012, 10:54 am

Re: Possible new seat?

Hi Dan! I got a Verholen Peg Lowering Kit. This not only allows you to move the pegs up and down but you can rotate them 360 degrees which gives you lots of room to adjust them back and forth to make your knee and body position more comfortable. I also am getting a new seat done by Russell (build date Jan. 19th. They usually change the angle of the seat for me as I have the same problem as you when my wife or daughter are riding with me.
post #3 of 12 Old Jan 9th, 2012, 11:42 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk1200lt
Hi Dan! I got a Verholen Peg Lowering Kit. This not only allows you to move the pegs up and down but you can rotate them 360 degrees which gives you lots of room to adjust them back and forth to make your knee and body position more comfortable. I also am getting a new seat done by Russell (build date Jan. 19th. They usually change the angle of the seat for me as I have the same problem as you when my wife or daughter are riding with me.
Hi Ron,

I have heard similar comments by several people on the angle of the seat and they both were ordering the Russell seat. I think it's more the seat than extending out my legs when riding.

I might ride down to Ft. Myers, Fl., a little south of here to sit on one that was recently installed if I hear back from the owner. He had the Russell installed on his GTL.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

post #4 of 12 Old Jan 9th, 2012, 11:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I...(snip)
Here is the challenge. Lately, my wife wants to ride with me and I've found that I seem to be sliding more forward than is comfortable. She rides back against the top case and is not pushing on me. Even in my normal riding position, I find that I would probably be more comfortable if I were back a little. It hard to describe, but I sometimes feel like I'm sliding forward. I don't mind investing in a new seat, just wondering if that is the solution, and which one?
The rider's seat isn't very spacious for a Tourer, no doubt about that.

Since the problem seems to be more apparent while riding double, is it possible that the rearmost seat support is missing or misaligned? The seat pan is very lightweight and flexible, and if the very rear was pushed down a bit, it would tend to raise the rear of the rider's seat, sliding you forward. Would be pretty subtle. Worth checking.

The Russell Day-Long is expensive, and puts the bike out of commission for a month or so, but well worth it. The key is to tell them exactly what you want to accomplish. I've never worked with a group of people that worked so hard to please, and they built mine exactly as I asked. You probably wouldn't like mine, as I'm twice as heavy as you, but you're welcome to try it out.

If you do decide to send in your seat to be customized by Russell, Kontour, one of the Mayers, or whoever, come on down and pick up either my spare Corbin or my spare OEM high seat to borrow until yours is returned, so you can ride while your seat is away. I live in Lehigh Acres, just across I-75 from Fort Myers. If interested, send me a PM, and I'll return my phone number and address.

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #5 of 12 Old Jan 9th, 2012, 12:23 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben
Since the problem seems to be more apparent while riding double, is it possible that the rearmost seat support is missing or misaligned? The seat pan is very lightweight and flexible, and if the very rear was pushed down a bit, it would tend to raise the rear of the rider's seat, sliding you forward. Would be pretty subtle. Worth checking.

If you do decide to send in your seat to be customized by Russell, Kontour, one of the Mayers, or whoever, come on down and pick up either my spare Corbin or my spare OEM high seat to borrow until yours is returned, so you can ride while your seat is away. I live in Lehigh Acres, just across I-75 from Fort Myers. If interested, send me a PM, and I'll return my phone number and address.
Thanks Ruben,

All good things to consider and I really do appreciate your offer. You might be right on the seats flexibility. I'll have to check that. I know that when my wife was on the back of my LT, it did not seem to change the seats configuration. I'm curious how the one piece seat that I have can be reconfigured as a Russell? Does it remain one piece?

Russell might not be the way to go. I seem to like the cover that Ron puts on his seat. Might be a lot cooler in Florida!

I'll PM you a little later and then we can talk. Thanks again for the quick response.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #6 of 12 Old Jan 9th, 2012, 1:11 pm

Quote:
..(snip).. You might be right on the seats flexibility. I'll have to check that. I know that when my wife was on the back of my LT, it did not seem to change the seats configuration. I'm curious how the one piece seat that I have can be reconfigured as a Russell? Does it remain one piece? .. (more snippage)..
Yes, Russell uses the stock plastic seat pan, but using denser foam (much denser in my case LOL), and a big hunk of steel in there somewhere to support the backrest. Not sure what all they do to reinforce it, but it seems a lot more rigid, but its at least four pounds heaver, with the backrest attached, than the OEM seat. Maybe more than four, my bathroom digital scale won't weigh the OEM seat, since it's less than ten pounds, while the Russell with backrest is fourteen. The Corbin uses their own massive fiberglass seat pan, plus firm foam, bringing its weight to over twenty pounds with the Corbin backrest.

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #7 of 12 Old Jan 9th, 2012, 4:50 pm

Hi Dan , I am in Fort Myers and have a RDL built for your hight and weight. I am willing to let you try it if you would like. PM me if interested.
post #8 of 12 Old Jan 9th, 2012, 5:59 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miren
Hi Dan , I am in Fort Myers and have a RDL built for your hight and weight. I am willing to let you try it if you would like. PM me if interested.

Hi Mike... I sent a PM..

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #9 of 12 Old Jan 9th, 2012, 7:33 pm

Quote:
Thanks Ruben,

All good things to consider and I really do appreciate your offer. You might be right on the seats flexibility. I'll have to check that. I know that when my wife was on the back of my LT, it did not seem to change the seats configuration. I'm curious how the one piece seat that I have can be reconfigured as a Russell? Does it remain one piece?

Russell might not be the way to go. I seem to like the cover that Ron puts on his seat. Might be a lot cooler in Florida!

I'll PM you a little later and then we can talk. Thanks again for the quick response.
If you're OK with the comfort of the stock seat we can help you out without mortgaging the house for a full blown rebuild - with a Polar Mesh recover - for about 1/3 the cost.

You'll get added grip and a cool butt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2992.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	34103   Click image for larger version

Name:	KonTour Air Flow.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	34104   Click image for larger version

Name:	GT 1600 KonTour MAGNUM 2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	34105  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #10 of 12 Old Jan 10th, 2012, 6:05 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Ron,

I will get back to you before I make a final decision.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #11 of 12 Old Jan 10th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Dan - I solved the problem for my GIB (girl in back) by changing the luggage grid on my GTL to the GT grid. It moves the topcase about an 1+ inch forward and now she does not slide forward. The LT had the opposite problem where the top case was forward too much but the LT top case could be adjusted back an inch.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Growing Up is Optional
post #12 of 12 Old Jan 10th, 2012, 8:00 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
If you're OK with the comfort of the stock seat we can help you out without mortgaging the house for a full blown rebuild - with a Polar Mesh recover - for about 1/3 the cost.

You'll get added grip and a cool butt.
Ron, are you making backrests for the GTL yet???

2014 R1200RT,
2005 F650GS
If it isn't documented... it didn't happen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in