rt to k1600 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Dec 27th, 2011, 9:27 pm Thread Starter

rt to k1600

Has anyone switched from the rt to a k1600?
I'm 68 years old and 5' 10'' tall, does the extra weight make it that much more difficult at slow speeds?
Can you get the 29.5 seat hight on the gt or is that only on the gtl?
I have a 2011 RT and ride 50% two up.

Thanks for any help

Richie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Dec 27th, 2011, 11:15 pm

Re: rt to k1600

I came from a r1200rt to the GTL. I'm 5 ft 10.

It is heavier but feels lighter once riding. The biggest difference for me is that I am sitting "in" the bike rather than "on" the bike. This results in a more in control feeling of the bike for me.

It is more maneuverable at low speed but I'm always aware of how easy to would be to drop it if not careful.

Both feet now are flat on ground rather than being tippy toes. It gets to ball of the feet when on the 2up rider setting.

It comes with either the low or high seat. I got the low. I've since learnt that the high seat is actually a comfort seat. Same seat just more filling and hence more comfortable. I may have chosen that if I knew that before. May change anyway to a RDL. Had a Corbin on the rt...was ok but service and quality were crap.

Most riding is one up and a heap of fun , but my partner is now excited to go for a ride rather than because we "agreed to go" before. Her feedback is it is far more comfortable and easier to handle the curvy stuff. On the highway she could to sleep!

It is a very different bike to the rt. I've had moments of should I have done it.....

...no I haven't. Just kidding. I love it every moment I'm on it. And many others when I'm not.
post #3 of 5 Old Dec 29th, 2011, 5:10 pm

The lowest available seat height on the GT with a GT seat is 30.7", with the low seat (no cost option) in the low position.

The stock GTL seat that offers the 29.5" height is available for purchase as an extra-cost accessory. An installation kit is also required to install the GTL seat on a GT.

Steve W
Canton, MI USA

2012 K 1600 GT (#901 from 8/6/2011)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Dec 29th, 2011, 6:47 pm

I went from the 1200RT to the GTL. Im very satisfied. I put a Vstream windshield on it like I had on my RT. I prefer it to the original. I feel the weight a bit more stopping at a light but overall dont feel it once going. I went from an 1100 RT to a 1200LT that I thought was a boat. It was very top heavy and cumbersom at low speeds. Cindy loved the back seat but we went over once at 2mph and it took 18 months to put her foot back together. I had a passenger on my GTL on the Barber Motorsports track and it was a blast for both of us. Ride it with your partner and see what they say. Keep in mind if they dont like the wind protection you can do something about it for $256.
I think it was a good decision to go from the RT to the GTL but thats just me. Im 5'8". Flat footed with the high/comfort seat.

best of luck to you.

Bud
post #5 of 5 Old Dec 31st, 2011, 3:03 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, i now need to test one soon.

Richie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in