Beware of Old BMW battery chargers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old Dec 16th, 2011, 1:35 pm Thread Starter

Beware of Old BMW battery chargers

I used the BMW battery charger that I purchased when I had my 2007 K1200GT on my new K1600GT when I was away for a month. According to the dealer and the spec numbers in the owners manual it was supposed to work perfectly with the new bike. Anyway it doesn't work worth a #$%@**. The dealer told me this morning that BMW changed their recommendation because there is an upgraded electronic canbus on the new bike that charging it with anything but a spec'd charger for the 1600 will cause electronic problems. I had to tow the bike to the dealer today because it won't start and seems to have some serious electonics issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old Dec 16th, 2011, 1:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Beware of Old BMW battery chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk1200lt
I used the BMW battery charger that I purchased when I had my 2007 K1200GT on my new K1600GT when I was away for a month. According to the dealer and the spec numbers in the owners manual it was supposed to work perfectly with the new bike. Anyway it doesn't work worth a #$%@**. The dealer told me this morning that BMW changed their recommendation because there is an upgraded electronic canbus on the new bike that charging it with anything but a spec'd charger for the 1600 will cause electronic problems. I had to tow the bike to the dealer today because it won't start and seems to have some serious electonics issues.
I will be interested in hearing what the "electronics" issues turn out to be. While I am sure that using a charger/tender could have an incorrect charging profile for the battery type in your 1600, I would be surprised that it could have an adverse effect on the electrionics since for the most part all the electricals are not active with the switch off.

Inquiring minds want to know more.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 34 Old Dec 16th, 2011, 2:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Ron,

Did your 2007 K1200GT have a canibus system? I'm thinking that it did and that the charger should have worked.

Did you go through the plug on your K1600 or did you run the charger directly to the battery?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 34 Old Dec 16th, 2011, 5:45 pm Thread Starter

The 2007 k12GT had a canbus system. And the manual for the K16GT even had the codes of my charger on its recommended list of ones to use. The electronic issues caused the bike to shut down when I tried to jump start it and every idiot light from engine to ABS light come on and were flashing. Hopefully this is something that can simply just be reset.

I plugged my charger into the neighbours K1300gt and it charges just fine. When I hook it up to my bike the error light comes on.
post #5 of 34 Old Dec 16th, 2011, 5:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Ron,

Did your 2007 K1200GT have a canibus system? I'm thinking that it did and that the charger should have worked.

Did you go through the plug on your K1600 or did you run the charger directly to the battery?
I went through the plug on the K1600 and didn't try to charge it directly.
post #6 of 34 Old Dec 17th, 2011, 10:08 am

Hey, I just last weekend bought a BMW charger, made just for the K1600's, from my dealer. He said that the older type chargers wouldn't work....I guess that after reading these posts....he wasn't lying. I too , am curious as to what the electronic issues are....Good Luck with your repair...I hope the warranty pays for it all....Bye, Kipper.
post #7 of 34 Old Dec 17th, 2011, 11:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

Ok; i called a dealor today, they are unaware of this,stating the canbus gray style charger is OK for the k1600's, so what dealor are you dealing with and could i get the new model# can bus charger so i can research this.
post #8 of 34 Old Dec 17th, 2011, 10:54 pm

BMW has come out with a new battery charger for the 1600, the old one does not work properly. I am using a old style BMW (pre Canbus) charger on a pigtail direct to the battery. It is working without problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR
post #9 of 34 Old Dec 17th, 2011, 11:54 pm

For the 2007 K1200LT, I have a BMW charger which came with plug to connect it through the Canbus system, alligator clips for the battery, and a pigtail that hangs out under the seat when need or tucks away when I don't.

I only use the pig tail connection.

However, if it was me, I would not lose the manual page that lists your charger as being suitable for the 1600 In fact, I would get a nice clean hi lighter and make it easy to find.

Although when this is over, I would suggest using a direct connection to the battery even if you have to make up the cable yourself.

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #10 of 34 Old Dec 18th, 2011, 7:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

I might be wrong and please correct me if that is the case, but any motorcycle tender/charger that is connected directly to the battery, and this is easy to do with a simple pigtail that is semi - permanently left in place, will work to keep the battery charged.

I am using a tender that I had with my K1200LT connected that way without a problem. A so called tender is better because it measures the voltage of the battery and runs when necessary. I used the plug connection on my K1200LT because it was not a canbus system. My K1600 is canbus so I simply use a direct connection.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #11 of 34 Old Dec 18th, 2011, 8:37 am

BMW will tell you that the charging cycle of the standard Battery Tender is not correct for the gel battery. Technically, they are correct. However, I haven't yet heard of any catastrophic results from using one. Additionally, most of us (I think) will replace the battery, when needed, with an AGM style one that will work just fine. I paid $20 for my BT Jr. And won't invest six times that for a BMW branded one that might allow my battery to live a short while longer.

Greg
2011 R1200RT (sold)
2012 K1600GTL
post #12 of 34 Old Dec 18th, 2011, 9:41 am

The key to getting a battery to last is to keep it charged.and not over charge it.also try not to let it freeze. Yes some chargers may make the battery last alittle longer but not $200.00 longer. When the battery starts to fail replace it or it will let you down many miles from home and a dealer. This is the same advice that I would give about tires.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR
post #13 of 34 Old Dec 19th, 2011, 10:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u
BMW has come out with a new battery charger for the 1600, the old one does not work properly. I am using a old style BMW (pre Canbus) charger on a pigtail direct to the battery. It is working without problems.

^^^ this. My 1600 is pigtailed to the old style w/no issues.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #14 of 34 Old Dec 19th, 2011, 2:14 pm Thread Starter

I am going to end up pigtailing my old BMW charger into my new K1600GT. . The old charger doesn't work if you plug it in to the accessories socket of the 16GT, but what is a real *&^%$# off is that the new charger doesn't work either. When I plug it in to the accessory socket on my 16GT it either flashes the read error light and doesn't charge at all or blinks back and forth between 0 charge and 100% charge. So DON'T BUY A NEW CHARGER. Hopefully this will save you $200 or in my case a two hour drive each way to the dealership.

After the old charger screwed up my electronics, I ended up having it towed to the dealership about 2 hours away. Thankfully I had BMW Roadside Assistance which picked up the tab. They had to reboot the electronics because virtually every idiot light including oil, ABS, engine, brake wear, tire pressuer warning were all flashing like a Christmas tree and the nanny came on which prevented the engine from starting. The dealer was able to reset everything so it is now working fine and if there is a silver lining in all of this, it is the fact that the bike used to jerk like mad every time I rolled of the throttle and after the reset the problem seems to be gone.

I am off to the dealer tomorrow after work to take the new charger back and get a refund. BMW seems to be getting more and more like Microsoft every day regarding product strategy. Get it out onto the market and fix the problems later. Kinda disappointing.

Last edited by ronk1200lt; Dec 19th, 2011 at 2:20 pm.
post #15 of 34 Old Dec 19th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk1200lt
The dealer was able to reset everything so it is now working fine and if there is a silver lining in all of this, it is the fact that the bike used to jerk like mad every time I rolled of the throttle and after the reset the problem seems to be gone.
I'm glad that you got the charger situation worked out. You most likely saved a fer others from the same problem.

Mine K1600GTL does this and I was told that it was because of the electronic throttle. and the lack of fuel to the engine. What happens now when you roll of of the throttle?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #16 of 34 Old Dec 19th, 2011, 2:46 pm Thread Starter

Hi Dan! The jerking when I rolled off the throttle was excessive. Literally jerk.... jerk...jerk. Not a little but the kind of shudder that required both hands on the bars to control. Now it is 95% better. Still the occassional shudder especially if I am rolling off and gearing down on a steep hill but it is very mild when it does happen and very easy to live with. I am happy with almost perfect and that is about where it is at.
post #17 of 34 Old Dec 19th, 2011, 3:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

This is hard to describe, but I have found that with the K1600, I tend to squeeze in the clutch right before I slow down and then let up on the clutch or use the brake, depending upon what I'm going to do next. If it slowing down for a traffic light, I'll use the clutch and then brake.

If I just roll off of the throttle to slow down, mine will jerk like crazy.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #18 of 34 Old Dec 19th, 2011, 5:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

back to the chargers, My BMW gray USB style tender works well with no issues, I bought it used for 55 dollars, It worked on all my can bus 2007 newer bikes,as far as the prev topics K1200lt you guys are NOT a can bus system so i dont know where some of you are coming from??Do not plug this tender into any can bus system.
Ive been in the auto business since i was 14, been wrenching bikes for 30 years, any charger will destroy your Motorcycle battery, but I think your refering to battery tenders, which have a great ability to keep the battery topped off and keep it from sulfating or harded sulfate. The newer style battery tenders (not chargers) have the electonics in them to correct this from happening. A 19.95 dollar direct connect battery style tender is the cheapest way to go.Or you can find a used BMW can bus tender for a fraction of new for the k1600gt,gtl...FYI
One more thing Only use a tender recomended for Gel style batteries, some will do both,most are for AGM or sealed lead acid only.
post #19 of 34 Old Dec 20th, 2011, 7:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
This is hard to describe, but I have found that with the K1600, I tend to squeeze in the clutch right before I slow down and then let up on the clutch or use the brake, depending upon what I'm going to do next. If it slowing down for a traffic light, I'll use the clutch and then brake.

If I just roll off of the throttle to slow down, mine will jerk like crazy.
When I come to a light or slow down, I use the same technique as you do but it would still jerk like mad. No with it reprogrammed, even if I just roll off the the throttle and do nothing else it is still very smooth.
post #20 of 34 Old Jan 20th, 2012, 12:41 pm

Beware of the new BMW chargers, made for the new can-bus of the 1600's.I have had problems with the units...(tried 2 of them)... after about 2.5 days of being on the bike. It goes thru all the stages....1,2,3 fine but when it starts the process again, it gives out an error led .I talked to my dealer today and he said that he just found out that there is a problem and that BMW is now aware of it. I think the problem is that after the charging sequence completes, the can-bus to the socket shuts down the power. So in a nutshell...the specially made charger for the 1600's is fine but just doesn't work like it should on the bike...I was told that they are working on the fix...Please don't buy one of these pricey chargers now....Wait for the fix to be made....If it was specially made for these 1600's how did it make it out of the beta testing process with this flaw??I seem to lost confidence in their Testing process....
post #21 of 34 Old Jan 20th, 2012, 2:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

[QUOTE=roadcrave]back to the chargers, My BMW gray USB style tender works well with no issues, I bought it used for 55 dollars, It worked on all my can bus 2007 newer bikes,as far as the prev topics K1200lt you guys are NOT a can bus system so i dont know where some of you are coming from??Do not plug this tender into any can bus system.
Ive been in the auto business since i was 14, been wrenching bikes for 30 years, any charger will destroy your Motorcycle battery, but I think your refering to battery tenders, which have a great ability to keep the battery topped off and keep it from sulfating or harded sulfate. The newer style battery tenders (not chargers) have the electonics in them to correct this from happening. A 19.95 dollar direct connect battery style tender is the cheapest way to go.Or you can find a used BMW can bus tender for a fraction of new for the k1600gt,gtl...FYI
One more thing Only use a tender recomended for Gel style batteries, some will do both,most are for AGM or sealed lead acid only.[/QUOTE

I WAS INCORRECT, I came back from vacation to a dead bike, Sooooo not to feed bad info - here is how i fixed the problem on my k1600 can bus II http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=37808
post #22 of 34 Old Jan 20th, 2012, 3:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Keep it simple... Tender directly to a pigtail (- + ) that is always on the battery.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #23 of 34 Old Jan 20th, 2012, 8:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Keep it simple... Tender directly to a pigtail (- + ) that is always on the battery.

Dan I agree with the simple part but the aux port is located on the right side for my passenger and it is not accessble for her,all NON BMW htg gear is on the left also,the BMW specific heated vest is a right side attachment on the garment so BMW put their plug on the right side for use of their Gear, so adding the kit like my step by step proceedure gives the passanger a left access for any non BMW gear using the bmw style outlet plug and also a non can bus port so that any tender mfg can be utilized It also looks better that a cord hanging loose ...matthew
post #24 of 34 Old Jan 21st, 2012, 6:23 am
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Matt, It sounds like a good plan. I wasn't able to open the pictures on your link, but I understand what you are doing.

You mentioned the cable hanging down and mine is so inconspicuous that I actually installed a second one to my battery, not seeing the one that my dealer had previously installed! It wasn't until I went to hook mine up to a charger that I noticed it on the opposite side of the bike. I now have two. One on each side.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #25 of 34 Old Jan 21st, 2012, 9:13 pm

Am I missing something? On my 2011RT I simply hooked a cheap charger to my SAE connection wired directly to the battery. Are you guys saying I can't do this on my K1600?

2011 Ostra Grey Metallic R1200RT
post #26 of 34 Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 7:52 am
Lifetime Supporter

Yes! There are several problems and I think they center around the canbus system.

It's best to just connect a + / - wire to the battery (Some call it a pigtail) and charge it directly with a battery tender that monitors the batteries condition and charges accordingly.

I think! - at least that is what I do.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #27 of 34 Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 12:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctay
Am I missing something? On my 2011RT I simply hooked a cheap charger to my SAE connection wired directly to the battery. Are you guys saying I can't do this on my K1600?
I'm pretty sure that they are saying that is exactly the way to handle it on the K1600 as well. I haven't bothered yet on mine, but then this is prime riding season down here, except for the dangerous snowbirds.

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #28 of 34 Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 2:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Sorry - I wasn't sure what a SAE connection was. I think that's what I an using.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #29 of 34 Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 12:23 pm
Ric

I have a grey colored BMW battery charger with 4 led lights across the top of it. It looks like a part or ID number of 2PD8 is stamped under the BMW roundel. Will this charger work on the 1600? Thanks, Rick
post #30 of 34 Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 3:21 pm

Why the need for chargers ?

Granted my bike is a daily driver but in 40 years of riding I have NEVER put a charger on a bike battery (well a few times in the old days when I could turn it off and forget the headlight still on, but bikes fixed that decades ago). The most my 13GT has sat is 2 weeks once since I bought it 2 years ago and battery fired it right up. My car which sits for many months at a time without being started has lasted 6 months without needing a charge.

I don't understand the need for a charger unless you leave the bike unridden for more than 6-9 months at a time, a good battery would even last the winter for those of you unlucky enough to have a riding season.

Not starting a war...really wondering why the need for chargers.
post #31 of 34 Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 4:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Good question - One reason is all of the electronics on many of the new bikes. Power is being used even if you aren't riding. Batteries also loose a little bit just sitting. Some of the newer bikes also need maximum voltage to kick over the starter.

A battery tender keep it at peak.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #32 of 34 Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 10:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
I have a grey colored BMW battery charger with 4 led lights across the top of it. It looks like a part or ID number of 2PD8 is stamped under the BMW roundel. Will this charger work on the 1600? Thanks, Rick

Rick think of your can bus charger 2pd8 as a old can bus 1 charger it definetly will not work on your k1600, BMW recently published a dealor bulliton and came out with a new charger different from the old gray stlyle for there new can bus 2 system. BUT you can ad a seperate powerlet and plug that charger into it directly to your battery and it will work fine.I have the same charger 2pd8 and it seems to work flawlessly directly to the battery, do not use this charger thru your can bus...FYI
post #33 of 34 Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 10:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr
Why the need for chargers ?

Granted my bike is a daily driver but in 40 years of riding I have NEVER put a charger on a bike battery (well a few times in the old days when I could turn it off and forget the headlight still on, but bikes fixed that decades ago). The most my 13GT has sat is 2 weeks once since I bought it 2 years ago and battery fired it right up. My car which sits for many months at a time without being started has lasted 6 months without needing a charge.

I don't understand the need for a charger unless you leave the bike unridden for more than 6-9 months at a time, a good battery would even last the winter for those of you unlucky enough to have a riding season.

Not starting a war...really wondering why the need for chargers.
Mike I here what your saying, New charger/tender today do many more things than just float the voltage up, but keep the battery from sulfating, there are some good articales on optimates web site about this, the benefit is a longer life on your battery, also in the Nw if you battery drops voltage for any reason during storage it will freeze and be destroyed, so there is a least two reasons to own one...matthew
post #34 of 34 Old Jan 24th, 2012, 8:18 am
Ric

Thanks Roadcrave, I appreciate the info.

Rick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in