Removing the rear wheel on a K1600 - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Dec 7th, 2011, 9:11 am Thread Starter
Member
 
AFineRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St. Petersburg, FL,
Posts: 74
Removing the rear wheel on a K1600

Got a guy in my local BMW riding club for whom I am going to be changing the tires on his K1600. ( I have a tire machine and balancer ).

Anyway, I know the tricks on my RT1200 but I've never removed the rear wheel of a K1600.

Any tips or suggestions? Specialty Tools?

I got a 22mm hex for the the axle nut. I assume it's the same size on the K as it is on the R. Anything else?

Larry

2009 1200 RT
2010 STriple
1976 R90/6
2002 FLSTF
2009 G650 GS
1976 DT 250B
AFineRide is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old Dec 7th, 2011, 9:23 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Redlands, CA, USA
Posts: 439
Re: Removing the rear wheel on a K1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFineRide
Got a guy in my local BMW riding club for whom I am going to be changing the tires on his K1600. ( I have a tire machine and balancer ).

Anyway, I know the tricks on my RT1200 but I've never removed the rear wheel of a K1600.

Any tips or suggestions? Specialty Tools?

I got a 22mm hex for the the axle nut. I assume it's the same size on the K as it is on the R. Anything else?

Larry
It seems like the tire pressure sensor can suffer damage while doing the tire change? Let me know if you discover a trick to protecting it.
BEhrler is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old Dec 7th, 2011, 1:35 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
 
katnapinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kyle, Texas, USA
Posts: 8,597
Re: Removing the rear wheel on a K1600

Pretty easy ,on the rear Just slide the rear mud flap all the way up , Unbolt the tire & roll it out. I did put my center stand on a 1 X 6 just to give it a little more height. The front comes off likes most other BMWs GT, RT & S. I pull the 4 screws in the fender & get it out of the way also.

As far as the tire pressure sensor goes just position the tire so NO tools pass close to the valve stem & be careful getting the tire past the sensor while removing & installing.

Stevie Shreeve
katnapinn is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 Old Dec 8th, 2011, 2:36 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
AFineRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St. Petersburg, FL,
Posts: 74
Re: Removing the rear wheel on a K1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Pretty easy ,on the rear Just slide the rear mud flap all the way up , Unbolt the tire & roll it out. I did put my center stand on a 1 X 6 just to give it a little more height. The front comes off likes most other BMWs GT, RT & S. I pull the 4 screws in the fender & get it out of the way also.

As far as the tire pressure sensor goes just position the tire so NO tools pass close to the valve stem & be careful getting the tire past the sensor while removing & installing.

Ok Thanks. That's easier than the RT. On the RT i have to loosen or remove the muffler.

I don't know if he has a the TPM, but I'll make sure to be careful as I guide the tire tool around the rim.

2009 1200 RT
2010 STriple
1976 R90/6
2002 FLSTF
2009 G650 GS
1976 DT 250B
AFineRide is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old Dec 9th, 2011, 2:26 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Posts: 110
Re: Removing the rear wheel on a K1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFineRide
Ok Thanks. That's easier than the RT. On the RT i have to loosen or remove the muffler.

I don't know if he has a the TPM, but I'll make sure to be careful as I guide the tire tool around the rim.
Most K16 bikes in the country right now are pre-orders and came fully loaded, i.e. with the TPM.
cbdane is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old Dec 9th, 2011, 2:59 pm
Senior Member
 
mneblett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA, USA
Posts: 5,406
Re: Removing the rear wheel on a K1600

The K16 is designed to be a super-simple, two-step process:

1. Remove the 4 T25 screws holding the rear fender on to drop the entire fender/license plate holder.

2. Remove the 5 Torx bolts (T50?) holding the wheel to the drive, and roll the wheel out the back.


Reinstall axle bolts to 60 Nm.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
mneblett is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old Dec 9th, 2011, 3:00 pm
Senior Member
 
mneblett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA, USA
Posts: 5,406
Re: Removing the rear wheel on a K1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFineRide
I don't know if he has a the TPM, but I'll make sure to be careful as I guide the tire tool around the rim.
The location of the TPM sensor is identified by a readily-apparent sticker on the side of the rim.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
mneblett is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old Dec 10th, 2011, 2:49 am
Senior Member
 
®win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Leiden (NL - EU), , The Netherlands
Posts: 1,281
Garage
Re: Removing the rear wheel on a K1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
2. Remove the 5 Torx bolts (T50?) holding the wheel to the drive.
Yep. T50 it is.

For the front wheel it requires T45 for the brake calippers and the bolt that secures the front axle, and a hex 22 nut for the front axle itself.

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V


R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
®win is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old Dec 10th, 2011, 8:16 am
Senior Member
 
dasmith59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: St Petersburg, Fl, USA
Posts: 201
Re: Removing the rear wheel on a K1600

Good info guys. Is there a maintenance manual available for the 1600's?
Thanks

Don Smith
dasmith59 is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old Dec 10th, 2011, 2:41 pm
Senior Member
 
philspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Springfield, VA, USA
Posts: 147
Re: Removing the rear wheel on a K1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmith59
Good info guys. Is there a maintenance manual available for the 1600's?
Thanks

Don Smith
I checked this morning, the REPROM isn't out yet.

15 R1200RT - Ebony Metallic
09 F800GS
philspace is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old Dec 11th, 2011, 7:20 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
AFineRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St. Petersburg, FL,
Posts: 74
Re: Removing the rear wheel on a K1600

Thanks for the input. Came off just as you said.

FWIW: Torque Specs;

Rear = 60nm
Front = 50nm
Pinch Bolts = 15 nm

I found the removal of the 190 tire to be challenging. My tire changer had a tough time gripping the lip of the wheel. In the end, we got it done. Unfortunately, I put a scratch on his rim. Anyone know if and where I can get touch up paint for the wheels? 2012 K1600.

2009 1200 RT
2010 STriple
1976 R90/6
2002 FLSTF
2009 G650 GS
1976 DT 250B
AFineRide is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old Dec 11th, 2011, 7:37 pm
Senior Member
 
mneblett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA, USA
Posts: 5,406
Re: Removing the rear wheel on a K1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFineRide
I found the removal of the 190 tire to be challenging. My tire changer had a tough time gripping the lip of the wheel.
What brand of tire changer? I'm currently looking at a NoMar, and hoping that wasn't your changer!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
mneblett is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old Dec 12th, 2011, 7:07 am Thread Starter
Member
 
AFineRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St. Petersburg, FL,
Posts: 74
Re: Removing the rear wheel on a K1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
What brand of tire changer? I'm currently looking at a NoMar, and hoping that wasn't your changer!
Mark, No. It wasn't a NoMar. It's a brand I bought on ebay. Can't recall the name at the momemt, pro something.

I had modified the clamps by adding the nylon mojo blocks otherwise, without a doubt, every rim would get scratch. In this case, the scratch was caused by the wheel not being clamped down correctly and as I was turning the tool around the rim, the wheel popped out of the clamps and scratched it.

I think I am more upset about it than the owner is. If I can find some pictures of the changer, I'll post it here.

2009 1200 RT
2010 STriple
1976 R90/6
2002 FLSTF
2009 G650 GS
1976 DT 250B
AFineRide is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old Dec 12th, 2011, 12:51 pm
Senior Member
 
mneblett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA, USA
Posts: 5,406
Re: Removing the rear wheel on a K1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFineRide
Mark, No. It wasn't a NoMar. It's a brand I bought on ebay. Can't recall the name at the momemt, pro something.

I had modified the clamps by adding the nylon mojo blocks otherwise, without a doubt, every rim would get scratch. In this case, the scratch was caused by the wheel not being clamped down correctly and as I was turning the tool around the rim, the wheel popped out of the clamps and scratched it.

I think I am more upset about it than the owner is. If I can find some pictures of the changer, I'll post it here.
Thanks. Sounds like the Harbor Freight-type Chinese changer -- one of which I recently threw into the scrap metal recovery pile at the county refuse facility!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
mneblett is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old Dec 12th, 2011, 7:05 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
AFineRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St. Petersburg, FL,
Posts: 74
Re: Removing the rear wheel on a K1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
Thanks. Sounds like the Harbor Freight-type Chinese changer -- one of which I recently threw into the scrap metal recovery pile at the county refuse facility!

It is this one.

http://www.prohoists.com/Motorcycle_Tire_Changer

I didn't pay anywhere near $289 for it.....

You'll notice that the arms that capture the rim have no protection against rim scratching.

I just welded a piece of flat steel to the top of the clamp and added a no mar nylon rim grabber.

It works well. However, on fatter tires, I needed to shave off about a 1/4" above the nylon protector so it doesn't get stuck against the sidewall when clamping down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	no mar top.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	33825  

2009 1200 RT
2010 STriple
1976 R90/6
2002 FLSTF
2009 G650 GS
1976 DT 250B

Last edited by AFineRide; Dec 12th, 2011 at 7:18 pm.
AFineRide is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old Dec 13th, 2011, 2:00 pm
Senior Member
 
mneblett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA, USA
Posts: 5,406
Re: Removing the rear wheel on a K1600

That's it -- that's precisely the same unit Harbor Freight sells.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
mneblett is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old Dec 17th, 2011, 12:44 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: saint albans, vt, usa
Posts: 80
Re: Removing the rear wheel on a K1600

we have a coats 5040 rim clamp at the shop i work at. that is what i use. i just put some pieces of nylon air brake tubing on the rim and it is no touch. no problem w' presure sensors either.
drjohn55 is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old Dec 17th, 2011, 7:02 pm
Super Moderator
 
dfinazzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waconia, MN, USA
Posts: 1,375
Re: Removing the rear wheel on a K1600

Saved the day and my Harbor Freight tire changer with the addition of Mojoblocks

http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoblocks.htm

I have changed about 5 sets of LT tires with no marring of the rims. They are slippery and you
need to tie one of the main spokes to one of the arms on the changer with a tie strap and viola
- however there is no comparison with No-Mar Changer.

I do however use a No-Mar Demount bar and their tire lube:

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/products/6

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

Last edited by dfinazzo; Dec 17th, 2011 at 8:57 pm.
dfinazzo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electronic Cruise Control - R1150RT LaChuparosa RT Series 10 Feb 6th, 2020 9:38 pm
Lose rear wheel lugs! Wootzman Dealer Experiences 6 Nov 16th, 2012 9:45 pm
K1200LT auto rear wheel conversion Tourdog Trailers, Sidecars, & Trikes 10 Feb 26th, 2010 10:37 pm
Rear Wheel Bearing old1951 K1200LT 6 May 10th, 2009 11:35 pm
Rear wheel removal rixchard Tires 4 Jul 5th, 2006 12:40 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome