K1600GT-L Tank Bag - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 12:42 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up K1600GT-L Tank Bag

BMW offers a tank bag for the GT but not the GT-L. The GT handle bars don't extend back as far as the GT-L and hence they would interfere with the BMW bag. Part of the problem is the shear size of the BMW tank bag. I never liked huge tank bags anyway and I truly loved the small tank bag on my LT. All I really want a tank bag for is to put my wallet, eyeglass case, sun glasses, cell phone, etc., in. I never pack luggage in it.

I recently installed a small Cortech tank bag on my GT-L and it works great. My BMW dealer tried to stop me from buying it as it was not a BMW approved item and was not a direct "plug & play item. Plus it was only about $65 versus the hundreds that BMW charges for theirs. Modification and installation was not hard and it does not interfere with the handle bars. The pictures below illustrate the installation. The only customization required was to route the rear webbing under the rear fuel tank mount bracket (there is room to slide it through). The two front straps required shortening slightly. I cut off the excess webbing material using a knife attachment on my soldering iron. This created a nice radius cut and fussed the webbing strands so they don't unravel. I punched a hole in the ends of the webbing and added a longer 5mm screw with a large fender washer at the two fasteners near the steering head. I also added a couple of small flat washers under the webbing straps so the fender washer edges did not bite into the plastic panels.

The result was a nice size tank bag that looked like it was made for the bike and the handle bars just kiss the front corners of the bag at full steering lock.

This may be a solution for those wanting an inexpensive bag for small stuff?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	1051
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	33761   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-2.JPG
Views:	972
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	33762   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-3.JPG
Views:	686
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	33763   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-4.JPG
Views:	704
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	33764   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-5.JPG
Views:	625
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	33765  

Name:	photo-6.JPG
Views:	722
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	33766  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 9:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: K1600GT-L Tank Bag

That looks like a nice tank bag. I'm in the market for a small one, and like you, I really don't want one that is too big. I'd like to be able to put a map under some vinyl and have just a little storage.

All that I've seen so far are too big. Which size is this one?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 8 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 10:36 pm

Old1951 - you just don't see to understand it. Its the BMW way or the highway!. Really, just kidding. This whole forum is dedicated to extending the BMW Motorrad as far as it will go. Nice looking bag and you did a great job installing it.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06

post #4 of 8 Old Dec 5th, 2011, 3:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Like you I really didn't want a large tank bag. RKA has a tankbag specifically for the GTL but I thought it was to big. RKA (Rick) had one of their smaller bags adapted to the GTL for me. Solved the problem for me and cost was very reasonable.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory – Growing Up is Optional
post #5 of 8 Old Dec 5th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorchilla
Like you I really didn't want a large tank bag. RKA has a tankbag specifically for the GTL but I thought it was to big. RKA (Rick) had one of their smaller bags adapted to the GTL for me. Solved the problem for me and cost was very reasonable.
Can you attach a picture of it? What did it cost? Will they do any more?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #6 of 8 Old Dec 6th, 2011, 6:57 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: K1600GT-L Tank Bag

Dan,

The tank bag is the Cortech Super-Mini (10" long x 8"wide x 5" high) and has a 6.5 liter capacity. There available in two versions, one with magnetic flaps for metal tanks and one with no flap and a strap attachment system. Mine is the strap style. The bag has a snap on-off clear vinyl pocket on top for maps or notes.

Essentially its about twice the volume of the old LT BMW tank bag. It turned out perfect for my needs.

PS - Didn't mean to challenge you on the number of screws holding your top case light in. I just assumed you took out the two end screws that look like the also hold the light fixture. Man, I don't what kind of Top Case you have, but everyone I've seen only has two screws. Were there four threaded holes in the light frame too? Strange?
post #7 of 8 Old Dec 6th, 2011, 7:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by old1951
Dan,

The tank bag is the Cortech Super-Mini (10" long x 8"wide x 5" high) and has a 6.5 liter capacity. There available in two versions, one with magnetic flaps for metal tanks and one with no flap and a strap attachment system. Mine is the strap style. The bag has a snap on-off clear vinyl pocket on top for maps or notes.

Essentially its about twice the volume of the old LT BMW tank bag. It turned out perfect for my needs.

PS - Didn't mean to challenge you on the number of screws holding your top case light in. I just assumed you took out the two end screws that look like the also hold the light fixture. Man, I don't what kind of Top Case you have, but everyone I've seen only has two screws. Were there four threaded holes in the light frame too? Strange?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tanks for the information on the thanks bag. (Dyslectic !) No big deal on the screws. It could be that 2 of the 4 were not holding it in! Pretty sure that they were threaded in. I didn't really give it much thought.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #8 of 8 Old Dec 12th, 2011, 12:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Can you attach a picture of it? What did it cost? Will they do any more?
Dan just got around to sending you pictures of RKA's tank bag. Again this is not the one they designed for the GTL but a smaller bag with a map pocket. The bag is expandable but like you I just wanted a small bag for misc items so I won't be expanding. I think I paid around $100.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tank bag 1 002.JPG
Views:	2321
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	33823   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank bag 1 003.JPG
Views:	1760
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	33824  

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory – Growing Up is Optional

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in