Engine Guards from Japan - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Nov 20th, 2011, 4:42 pm Thread Starter

Engine Guards from Japan

Found these on a different K1600 forum. They are manufactured in Japan by Moriyasu and can be purchased through Spiralspinner Co, LTD for $750:

http://eng.spiralspinner.jp/products...product_id=954

Took about a month to get them. Installed yesterday. They are extremely good quality, took about two hours after the tupperware was off, but if the instructions had not been in Japanese, might have only taken an hour.They line up perfectly with the threaded engine and frame bosses. Only installation challenge is removing the radiator fan. The stock running lights mount much cleaner and a little lower, giving a better look overall.

If anyone wants more info or installation pics and advice, please post a question to me at this forum and I will be happy to share. These are far better than BMW engine guards, although pricey.

RB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EngGuard.jpg
Views:	3212
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	33617   Click image for larger version

Name:	EngGuard2.jpg
Views:	3518
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	33618   Click image for larger version

Name:	EngGuard3.jpg
Views:	2541
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	33619  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rocketbike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Nov 20th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Engine Guards from Japan

Very nice, clean look also>.
post #3 of 17 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 1:35 am Thread Starter

And much better protection for running lights. These guards are mounted directly to the engine block and frame with reinforcing bars to spread the load. They are made to keep the weight of the bike off the engine in the event of a lay down and are solid as a rock. Perfect fit.

RB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rocketbike

post #4 of 17 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 7:15 am
Lifetime Supporter

They looks really substantial and seem to be much better if you want to mount some sort of foot extension resting point. They also look like they would do a much better job of protecting the plastic, your leg and the engine in case of a lay-down. If the ones that I am supposed to be getting for "free" had not been available, i would be very interested in getting these. I might just sell mine, if they ever get here, "anyone want just a left", as that's all that I have, and get a pair.

Thanks for sharing the information.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 17 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 1:39 am Thread Starter

Dan
You would definitely be impressed with these. They are very solid but still look classy. No question on the protection.

So this is the first half of the equation. The next step is to figure out the highway pegs to mount on the vertical support. Problem is that the supporting risers are not symmetrical because the engine bosses are not the same in alignment side to side, so some improvising lies ahead.

RB

Rocketbike
post #6 of 17 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 10:44 am

Talking Re: Engine Guards from Japan

Idea for highway peg.

Something that folds up (out-of-the-way) like the passenger footrest on my LT, that could be connected to the vertical bar (from the pic) seems like would be perfect.

could be adjustable (up and down) and even be spring loaded to retract when not in use!!!!!!!

just a thought

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #7 of 17 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 3:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketbike
Found these on a different K1600 forum. They are manufactured in Japan by Moriyasu and can be purchased through Spiralspinner Co, LTD for $750:

http://eng.spiralspinner.jp/products...product_id=954

Took about a month to get them. Installed yesterday. They are extremely good quality, took about two hours after the tupperware was off, but if the instructions had not been in Japanese, might have only taken an hour.They line up perfectly with the threaded engine and frame bosses. Only installation challenge is removing the radiator fan. The stock running lights mount much cleaner and a little lower, giving a better look overall.

If anyone wants more info or installation pics and advice, please post a question to me at this forum and I will be happy to share. These are far better than BMW engine guards, although pricey.

RB
You have a typo. You added a zero to the price. Nobody would pay $750 for some welded tubing.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #8 of 17 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 3:28 pm

im glad you said it
post #9 of 17 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 4:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
You have a typo. You added a zero to the price. Nobody would pay $750 for some welded tubing.
Are they Gold plated for that price .
post #10 of 17 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 4:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

How about $350 for some welded tube!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #11 of 17 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 5:26 pm

Jap part on a Beemer? I think that bike just got a little better.

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
  • 2010 Kawasaki Concours14
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
  • 2005 Harley V-Rod Chrome Edition
  • 2003 Harley V-Rod Anniversary Edition
post #12 of 17 Old Nov 24th, 2011, 7:40 pm

So these bars look very nice, but what do others, preferably cheaper, look like?? Are there other bars available now? After reading the story about the low side skid that totalled a 1600, I think I need a set of these. Not that I foresee being on the low side!!!
post #13 of 17 Old Nov 24th, 2011, 11:57 pm Thread Starter

No question that these are very expensive, chrome plated as they are, instead of gold plated as they should be for that price. I looked at it as insurance that doesn't detract from the look of the bike.

Someone in the US should buy a pair and copy them so we could get the price down to a reasonable level. Not sure, but I think the weak $ played a role in the exchange rate at time. This is an easy assembly and someone will come up with a better option than BMW offers.

RB

Rocketbike
post #14 of 17 Old Nov 25th, 2011, 6:54 am
Lifetime Supporter

Before owning my present K1600GTL, I spent the last 8 years or so and about 50,000 miles on a K1200LT. Initially, I would have been the first to jump on these "crash" (DAMN, I dropped it again!) engine protection bars as oppose to the ones that BMW "gave" me with my order. I'm guessing that my 02 K1200LT took 3-4 unexpected naps during my ownership and all but one left nothing to show except an embarrassed owner. One required a ~$200 paint and body work repair.

That being said, I do have to say that there is quite a difference in the handling / balance / weight distribution feel of the K1600GTL and if I do drop her, I'll be quite surprised. She just doesn't feel as top heavy and I feel so much more at ease during slow speed maneuvering.

I'm guessing, because so far, we haven't heard, that the engine protection bars that BMW is supplying will deal with a nap or lay-down problem. Everything else on the bike seems so well thought out. These after market bars do seem more rugged and look like they will give the engine more protection. Maybe more than necessary!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #15 of 17 Old Nov 26th, 2011, 12:12 pm Thread Starter

Dan--I certainly agree with your assessment that we will not be laying this bike over as has happened to many of us with our LT's. My original 1999 LT (70K miles) surprised be three times that way and my 2009 only once, so I got better over the years. That said, probably the biggest reason I was open to the 1600GTL in the first place was its reduced CG and weight of the bike. I feel much more in control with a passenger on board at slow speed and tight maneuvers in a gravel parking lot. The rest of the 1600's neat features were incentives to buy a new bike, but the better slow speed control was at the top of my list.

As far as the other comments about the price of the engine guards, I note that my bill for the foot peg lowering kits from Verholen came to $412. So while I would like to have less expensive engine guards, by comparison, not that bad at $750. I guess if you can't afford the tickets to the game, you can always watch K1600 videos on YouTube--not quite the same as being in the saddle, but cheaper, if that's your objective.

RB

Rocketbike
post #16 of 17 Old Nov 30th, 2011, 11:15 pm

Just a follow up to the availability of Crash Bars, Highway Pegs, Floor Boards (Rider and Passenger), and side stand adapter.

I loaned my 1600GT into Ilium Works here in my home town for them to do R and D for the above items. They also a got a hold of a GTL for the same. John at Ilium has the jigs ready for manufacturing. Keep an eye out for their version's soon. See http://www.iliumworks.com/ . An e mail to them might speed up the process.

I've had their stuff on other BMW's and found to be of high quality.

Johngvca - Nor-Cal -Some of the best riding

Current rides:
12 1600GT
12 F800GS Trophy
04 R1150R
post #17 of 17 Old Dec 1st, 2011, 7:09 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngvca
Just a follow up to the availability of Crash Bars, Highway Pegs, Floor Boards (Rider and Passenger), and side stand adapter.

I loaned my 1600GT into Ilium Works here in my home town for them to do R and D for the above items. They also a got a hold of a GTL for the same. John at Ilium has the jigs ready for manufacturing. Keep an eye out for their version's soon. See http://www.iliumworks.com/ . An e mail to them might speed up the process.

I've had their stuff on other BMW's and found to be of high quality.
I emailed them a while back about a brake replacement that is needed when you lower the riding pegs (I.E., Suburban Machinery) and they said that one might be in the works a little later. I am using their shifter adapter, a simple slip on that works.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in