New seat or Airhawk? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Nov 18th, 2011, 2:30 pm Thread Starter

New seat or Airhawk?

Hi
My new k1600 gtl has the low seat. I am 6'0" and 250 pounds, and have found the stock (low) seat to be cramped and uncomfortable, especially fore to aft. I am considering either an Airhawk or a Russel custom seat. I would like to hear some experienced riders opinions on the subject. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Nov 18th, 2011, 7:06 pm

Re: New seat or Airhawk?

Here ya' go - and this is just a sampling of the hundreds of threads... They're not germain to the 1600 since there are so few out there, but this applies to just about any OEM seat from any manufacturer:

Airhawk seat pad for RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

Airhawk Seat Cushion - BMW Luxury Touring Community

'05 seat: a 2x4 stud would be an improvement.. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

From my own personal experience I've found them to be a great "band aid" solution - but vastly prefer quality, thick sheepskin (which is just about impossible to find) over everything else for a stop gap measure. Some like gel pads. Some like beads. All kinds of partial solutions out there.

For the vast majority of serious riders a custom seat is the only way to go - whatever flavor you prefer.

Getting comfortable on a bike - seat wise - is not an inexpensive proposition. You get what you pay for.

This much I can tell you for sure: Your butt is indeed in charge of your brain, and it will eventually also have its way with your wallet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #3 of 12 Old Nov 19th, 2011, 6:50 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I have put about 6000 miles on my GTL Low seat with an Airhawk & it works well for me (5'9" & 29" inseam). If I had the money I would get the seat rebuilt by one of the many seat shops. My Airhawk was free, I just traded some work on a friends bike for it. With your height & inseam I do NOT think the Airhawk will be of much help on the Low seat.
BTW Ron builds one of the best seat around & stands by them.

Hey Ron None of your links worked for me

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 12 Old Nov 19th, 2011, 7:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
I have put about 6000 miles on my GTL Low seat with an Airhawk & it works well for me (5'9" & 29" inseam). If I had the money I would get the seat rebuilt by one of the many seat shops. My Airhawk was free, I just traded some work on a friends bike for it. With your height & inseam I do NOT think the Airhawk will be of much help on the Low seat.
BTW Ron builds one of the best seat around & stands by them.

Hmm, that's strange Must be something going on with my 'puter's settings....

Oh well, if the OP scrolls down he can see them listed below the post - I think...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #5 of 12 Old Nov 19th, 2011, 7:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
:

ditto...

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #6 of 12 Old Nov 19th, 2011, 8:57 am

With your sixe a Russell or another brand of custom seat is the way to go. The Airhawk will be uncomfortable unless you turn over the bladder. I know as I am about your size and after six days in the saddle my but was screaming for releave.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR
post #7 of 12 Old Nov 19th, 2011, 9:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsnboats
Hi
My new k1600 gtl has the low seat. I am 6'0" and 250 pounds, and have found the stock (low) seat to be cramped and uncomfortable, especially fore to aft. I am considering either an Airhawk or a Russel custom seat. I would like to hear some experienced riders opinions on the subject. Thanks.
I have almost 10K on my GTL now. Got my new Russell Day-Long seat about 3K ago and just can't say enough good about it. I got the backrest with it. As someone else pointed out, it wasn't cheap, though. Just south of $1K for the whole thing. Given what I spent on the bike it was money well spent, in my opinion.

Jamie

2012 K1600 GTL (Metallic Silver)
2010 K1300 GT (Blue) Her's

post #8 of 12 Old Nov 19th, 2011, 2:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbartlett
I have almost 10K on my GTL now. Got my new Russell Day-Long seat about 3K ago and just can't say enough good about it. I got the backrest with it. As someone else pointed out, it wasn't cheap, though. Just south of $1K for the whole thing. Given what I spent on the bike it was money well spent, in my opinion.
Thanks to all for your valuable opinions. I would much rather learn from someone's experience than from my mistakes..looks like a custom seat is the way to go.
post #9 of 12 Old Nov 20th, 2011, 6:32 pm

I'm sure someone will double-check me here, but Airhawk is getting out the MC seat business, they are primarily will be doing wheel chair seats.

I use the gel seat made here in Chattanooga by Ooltewah Manufacturing www.airrider.com . I have been using one on my LT and 1000 mile days are no problem.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #10 of 12 Old Nov 20th, 2011, 7:32 pm

You can't make a purse out of a sow's ear. Beads, foam, airhawk, etc. make a bad seat a little better, but it will not solve the basic problem of a bad saddle for you. Save yourself some $ and just go for a custom saddle. I did all the above on my LT stock seat and finally gave up and got a custom seat. Wish I had done it in the first place.

Ultra LT
post #11 of 12 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 12:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
I'm sure someone will double-check me here, but Airhawk is getting out the MC seat business, they are primarily will be doing wheel chair seats.
AIRHAWK is still in the business of making motorcycle seat cushions (http://www.airhawk.net). We are currently working with a seat manufacturer, Danny Gray (http://www.dannygray.com), to create custom seats with the AIRHAWK Comfort Seating System integrated into the seat.

AIRHAWK is a brand of The ROHO Group, that makes wheelchair seat cushions and medical mattresses using shape fitting technology®. The ROHO Group was incorporated in 1973. The AIRHAWK brand began in 1997 after realizing that there was a need for more comfortable seating in the motorcycle industry. Both The ROHO Group and AIRHAWK are still going strong.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at [email protected].

Danielle Boenisch
eMarketing and Support Surface Product Coordinator at The ROHO Group/AIRHAWK
post #12 of 12 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 2:49 am

I'm a true believer in the AirHawk seat comfort. But, after 4 or 5 years of use I can't keep it patched. The weld along the front edge of the rubber bladder deteriorates and I have had no success sealing it.

I was about to spring for another AirHawk when I spotted a $15 gel cushion at Costco ("Cool Cushion" Item # 501080). It's design for car seats, but fits rather well on both driver and passenger seat of the K1200LT. The bike has a Corbin aftermarket seat.

I didn't expect much for $15, but both the wife and I like it. Usually after a 200 miles, I start squirming with "monkey butt", but with these cushions we did two, 400 mile days with very little discomfort.

Richard Wright
'99 K1200LT Champagne(in Heidelberg)
'08 K1200LT Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in