Top Case Brakelight... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

Question Top Case Brakelight...

Hey , My Dealer now has the Top Case Brake light in stock and I was wondering if anyone has installed it themselves yet.Its pricy....$252.00 + labor...I don't think that it is a hard job but I am not sure of the wiring....any help out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 12:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Top Case Brakelight...

Check out the K1600 Forum. There is a thread with a great description of the installation and pictures. It looks pretty easy.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 18 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 2:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

From the other site:

" ......... install it yourself. It will literally take 3 minutes. Remove 2 screws on either side of the top case inner light, the entire chrome or black assembly comes out, plug in the new unit and install with the 2 screws."

I could not find the pictures.... There are several running threads on the light and it's supposed to be arriving at the dealers. The part is supposed to go to every pre-order GTL but does not include installation.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

post #4 of 18 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 8:01 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

CLICK HERE for step by step with pics.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 18 Old Nov 16th, 2011, 10:58 pm

Very easy to install. I did it on the kitchen counter. It took more time to run out to the garage to get tools then it did to do the work.
1; Remove two sccrews holding the crome trim.
2; Press out the 3 pins in the center of the clips holding the black blank.
3; Assemble the light in the holder and mount it in the crome trim.
4; Mount the two clips with the screws that are provided.
5; Plug in the plug and mount the assembly to the trunk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR
post #6 of 18 Old Nov 18th, 2011, 10:13 am Thread Starter

Hey , A big THANK-YOU to all you guys for the tips on placing the Top Case Brake light...The directions and the photo's were all great helpers in my quest... Now on to my next winter Bike project..... Thanks again, Kipper.
post #7 of 18 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 5:49 pm

Picked up my Top case light today & it only took about 15 minutes to install. Now if I only had the bike to put the top case back on & see how the light works.

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 18 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 6:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Picked up my Top case light today & it only took about 15 minutes to install. Now if I only had the bike to put the top case back on & see how the light works.
Holly crow, is your bike still down? any ETR?

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #9 of 18 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 7:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Holly crow, is your bike still down? any ETR?
yep been 5 weeks today. Lone Star has already been billed for 3 water pumps so we are hopeful I will get my bike back this week.

Stevie Shreeve
post #10 of 18 Old Nov 24th, 2011, 1:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Steve,
Do you have any pictures of how the brake light went in and how much room there is near it? I've not worked on one yet and would like to know if my brake light flasher is going to work with the new bike.

Thanks.

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

2003 K1200LT (Black/Yellow) BigBee
Unigo Trailer (Black/Yellow) Stinger
post #11 of 18 Old Nov 24th, 2011, 6:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryschumer
Steve,
Do you have any pictures of how the brake light went in and how much room there is near it? I've not worked on one yet and would like to know if my brake light flasher is going to work with the new bike.

Thanks.
Larry there is not much room at all in the trunk brake light cavity.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR
post #12 of 18 Old Nov 24th, 2011, 8:36 pm

Larry As Spencer said there is very little room in behind the light. I'll pull the light out & take a few pics in the morning.

Stevie Shreeve
post #13 of 18 Old Nov 26th, 2011, 8:45 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I might have to trace the wires back and put my little box for the flasher under the seat or something. Damn--which I had a GTL to take apart... Hmmm, it would be a business expense, but then again, you have to make enough money to afford the expense...

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

2003 K1200LT (Black/Yellow) BigBee
Unigo Trailer (Black/Yellow) Stinger
post #14 of 18 Old Nov 27th, 2011, 12:51 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryschumer
Hmmm, it would be a business expense, but then again, you have to make enough money to afford the expense...
Well, that's one way of looking at it . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 18 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 11:34 am

Red face Re: Top Case Brakelight...Idiot or Fanatic?

I feel obligated to put my 2 cents in on the Top Case Brake Light installation. As someone who writes Aerospace process instructions for a living I found the the "other K1600 site" info was lacking in detail. There was no detailed explanation, only the inference that the assembly just falls together? Perhaps I over think the problem but I found several details that may help others with this installation.

1. Dan was right in his statement that he needed a drill bit (bit only) to push the center pin out of the black retainers. I used an Ice Pick and they pop right out. There are indeed ONLY TWO screws holding the chrome assembly in place (not four) that need removal. They are on either side of the inside top case light.

2. When the light assembly is installed into the holder, the two tabs on the light with the holes in them initially don't appear to mate with anything for the screws to attach to? You must be sure that the light assembly is fully seated into the holder (especially in the center) so the the two tab will snap over small tits sticking up in the chrome framework. Essentially these small points of plastic are all that hold the light in the assembly. The two plastic clips and screws simply push the "U" shaped end of the plastic clip over the tabs with the holes so the light assembly cannot jump off the small chrome tits and then become loose or fall out.

3.) Dan made the comment the routing the wiring was a little tricky and I agree. My assembly installed perfectly on the R/H side, but the L/H side never wanted to mate with the top case properly. The light cable was always interfering? It was then I realized the no one had mentioned the the cable should be bent into a 90 degree bend and captivated under the L/H clip tab that is held in place with the screw. Once I did that the assembly fit nice and flush and had equal gap to the top case lid on each side.

4) Finally, as I tightened the assembly back in place I found that two screws bottomed in the chrome assembly and never really fit tight? Weather the original assembly was this way or not I'm unsure or possibly the new light assembly is slightly narrower? After five or six attempts the get a snug, even fit I installed a flat washer under the screw heads (about 1-mm thick) and then the screws snugged up nicely and the chrome framework was nice and even all around with no wiggle.

Maybe I'm just anal about my bike and installations I make. The little details mentioned above would have made the Top Case Light installation quicker and simpler. I found it odd that BMW chose to provide an extensive detail instruction booklet for the tip-over bars which are made of steel (very hard to damage) and can only fit one way and then provided nothing for the top case light which is all plastic and could be damaged if installed incorrectly?

Ahhh, I guess thats what keeps sites like this alive and well. Maybe these comments will assist someone else? Some people may have lucked out on the first try and the assembly will just fall together. Mine did not! Some may not care that the finished chrome wiggles slightly? For me that was unacceptable. As I said in the beginning I tend to be overly anal and what everything just right by my standards.
post #16 of 18 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 2:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

OLD1951
My top case had a total of 4 screws. There were two on each side of the chrome light.

Interesting note on the installation information that came with the top case light. Nothing.....

Each of my crash bars came with a 50 page manual in 15 languages with pictures and diagrams. I didn't even look at it to do the installation it was so intuitive.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #17 of 18 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 8:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
My top case had a total of 4 screws. There were two on each side of the chrome light.
Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Interesting note on the installation information that came with the top case light. Nothing....
BMW sometimes only publishes optional equipment installation instructions to the dealers' electronic network, for viewing by service techs -- this seems to be occuring more frequently nowdays, as both a way to reduce costs (imagine what it costs to print those mega instruction manuals like those with the engine guards??), and to encourage customer visits/servce selling opportunities (an over-all direction BMW AG is going to increase dealer income and parts sales, as evidenced by the removal of tool kits and nearly total absense of techincal information in the Rider's Manuals -- as compared to 40 years ago: my wife's R75/5 manual has enough service instructions and torque specs to do most everything short of pulling the crankshaft!). In the cases where the instructions are electronic only, it is not unheard of for some dealers to print out copies and hand to customers doing their own installations as an unofficial courtesy.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #18 of 18 Old May 7th, 2015, 7:52 pm

Thanks guys, just installed my brake light in my R1200RT tonight and these instructions were invaluable (since the damn light came with NONE lol).

Cheers
Tim

2015 R1200RT in San Marino Blue - loaded up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in