The radiator cover - chrome or black screw! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Nov 9th, 2011, 5:56 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

The radiator cover - chrome or black screw!

Has anyone pulled it off? It is held on by one regular K1600 screw and the other thing is weird! I think it's a Philip's head, but I'm not sure. I just removed it and am thinking about replacing it with something that is standard to the bike. Any ideas for a better replacement. There is also some type of retainer that goes into the radiator cover screw hole.

03 51488353567 EXPANDING RIVET 1 $1.56

This is the exact part and number. Everything else seems so uniform and then this! Just seems so out of place.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by DanDiver; Nov 9th, 2011 at 7:04 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Nov 12th, 2011, 1:11 pm

Cool Re: The radiator cover - chrome or black screw!

Yup, had mine out as I considered replacing cracked Chrome hose cove due to a tip over (someone sat on my bike in a parking lot and dropped it). Nice sickening view upon my return. At $160 for the cover, I said screw it and put it back together. The screw you refer to isn't really a screw. It's a push-in plastic pin like those in automobile door panels. I haven't changed mine yet but if I have to go back in again I'll replace it. What a pain.

As a result of the scrapes to the bike due to being tipped over I've added 1.0" wide adhesive backed, Black rubber molding from Pepboys. The strips look very clean (most people don't even realize they weren't original. They can be removed and replaced using a hot air gun it the bike sees another tip over and they get scuffed up. Much cheaper to replace than nicked and gouged BMW plastic panels. I add a strip down the center of my chrome hose cover to cover up the nicks in the chrome and it looks factory.

BMR Products used to sell the molding for the LT rear side case chrome strips. You can buy it in roll form at Pepboys for about $15.
post #3 of 4 Old Nov 13th, 2011, 11:27 pm

Re: The radiator cover - chrome or black screw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old1951
Yup, had mine out as I considered replacing cracked Chrome hose cove due to a tip over (someone sat on my bike in a parking lot and dropped it). Nice sickening view upon my return. At $160 for the cover, I said screw it and put it back together.
$160? I though you were mistaken and looked it up; you're right! Wow! Keep in mind that if you really want to replace it, the black version for the GT is only $19.58. Fake chrome is pricey!!

post #4 of 4 Old Nov 14th, 2011, 7:07 pm

Red face Re: The radiator cover - chrome or black screw!

Your right black is definitely cheaper especially if you like it? Obviously some on the site do prefer the black as they went to great lengths to get it. To me the black looks....well black and cheap. But then again, I'm someone who cringes every time I see a cool looking BMW or Audi car with blacked out wheels and light lenses. To each his own as they say.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in