Adding an accessories plug? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Oct 30th, 2011, 11:26 am Thread Starter

Adding an accessories plug?

Has anyone thought about trying to add an accessories plug into the front face of the rear trunk to make it more accessible then the side accessories plug located under the seat, for the passenger to plug in their heated clothing? Obviously it would have to have an easy disconnect plug located under the seat for rear trunk removal. Is there space between the outer and inner trunk liner to do this?
My new GTL will not be here until next spring but this will be a must for me to keep the SO happy. Has anyone done at least something for the passenger heated clothing issue?

Randy Ferras
K1200LT, 05'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Oct 30th, 2011, 1:08 pm

Re: Adding an accessories plug?

I have not yet had a chance to remove the inner bottom liner, but if I were looking at doing this (and I may, as SWMBO is ridng with me more than on her bikes lately due to medical issues), it appears there is plenty of room in the two lower front corners, under the lower mounting points for the lid lift struts (you can shine a flashlight down into these areas to get an idea).

You could pass the wires through the factory rubber grommet on the right underside of the case.

While I am in there, I'll also bring a power point into the inside of the trunk liner to permit recharging of mini-USB devices while rolling down the road.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #3 of 4 Old Oct 30th, 2011, 6:01 pm

I was going to add a plug to the back case but I thought I better wait to see where and how the the future armrests are going mount to the back case.

post #4 of 4 Old Oct 31st, 2011, 11:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrasr
Has anyone thought about trying to add an accessories plug into the front face of the rear trunk to make it more accessible then the side accessories plug located under the seat, for the passenger to plug in their heated clothing? Obviously it would have to have an easy disconnect plug located under the seat for rear trunk removal. Is there space between the outer and inner trunk liner to do this?
My new GTL will not be here until next spring but this will be a must for me to keep the SO happy. Has anyone done at least something for the passenger heated clothing issue?
I usually run two coaxial cords directly to the battery for heated clothing. One for me and one for the wife. I hide the wife's under the set when I am solo.

Lately I am using just one cord since I have a dual controller and don't use my heated pants. I attach the controller to my jacket and both the wife and I can easily access it.

You Alberta guys probably wear the pants as well as the gloves and socks.

2018 R1200RT Mars Red
2017 R1200GS Rallye
2014 Husky FE501

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in