How do you get the music (Pandora) from a cell phone to the BMW's intercom audio? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 12:17 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

How do you get the music (Pandora) from a cell phone to the BMW's intercom audio?

If I get a "smart phone" that has bluetooth capability, how does the audio get to my BMW's intercom? I have a K1600GTL with the Schuberth helmet.

Am I going in the wrong direction.

Looking for the best/easiest way to listen to Pandora on the bike.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 3:21 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: How do you get the music (Pandora) from a cell phone to the BMW's intercom audio?

Dan All you have to do in get a 3.5 MM male cable. Plug one end into the phone & the other end into the Aux port in the right side pocket. Then set the bike audio to Aux. I would route the cable up away from the motor to an area that will be easy to get to & keep it away from the heat in that pocket.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 3:39 pm

Garage
Re: How do you get the music (Pandora) from a cell phone to the BMW's intercom audio?

I wonder if you could BT from your phone to the Schuberth. That would be the most direct route. I don't know how many devices the helmet will let you connect to.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #4 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 3:53 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Dan All you have to do in get a 3.5 MM male cable. Plug one end into the phone & the other end into the Aux port in the right side pocket. Then set the bike audio to Aux. I would route the cable up away from the motor to an area that will be easy to get to & keep it away from the heat in that pocket.

Sounds simple enough - Thanks.....

Now to pick out a phone!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #5 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 5:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
I wonder if you could BT from your phone to the Schuberth. That would be the most direct route. I don't know how many devices the helmet will let you connect to.

A2dp app takes care of the bluetooth issue from phone to helmet.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #6 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 5:02 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
I'm planning to use the BT function of the GPS for the cell phone function. I don't think that it would be possible to use the BT for Pandora as it comes over the Internet, but I will try it and see. Starting to sound complicated.

I do like the idea of plugging the cell devise directly to the 3.5mm audio jack. Seems simple enough. Not sure if the cell phone would still function though!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #7 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 7:03 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I'm planning to use the BT function of the GPS for the cell phone function. I don't think that it would be possible to use the BT for Pandora as it comes over the Internet, but I will try it and see. Starting to sound complicated.

I do like the idea of plugging the cell devise directly to the 3.5mm audio jack. Seems simple enough. Not sure if the cell phone would still function though!
I stream my Pandora from my HTC Evo to my Scala? You should be able to the same with your set up. For LD rides, then yes a patch cord would be a practical solution.

Rob V.B.
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

post #8 of 15 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 7:21 pm

I stream Pandora from my iPhone 3GS into my Sena BT unit. Also, iHeart radio. Love the Bluetooth system - hate cords. Good luck on your set up Dan; I got faith in ya.
post #9 of 15 Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 2:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Just to make sure I understand you guys. If I hardwire my Droid vis 3.5 mm to audio input - music will come through the bike's audio system. Will I still be able use phone via bluetooth thru NAV IV or will the phone think there is a headset attached and shut off the phone's bluetooth?

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Growing Up is Optional
post #10 of 15 Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 3:49 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorchilla
Just to make sure I understand you guys. If I hardwire my Droid vis 3.5 mm to audio input - music will come through the bike's audio system. Will I still be able use phone via bluetooth thru NAV IV or will the phone think there is a headset attached and shut off the phone's bluetooth?
Only of the bike has a 3.5 mm port. If it does, the BT helmet/GPS unit should be unaffected. Directions will come to you via the helmet not through the bike's audio system.

Rob V.B.
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

post #11 of 15 Old Oct 24th, 2011, 11:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver

Dan:

If you are going to use a bluetooth headset you should be able to stream Pandora over BT. I can do it in my Jeep Cherokee. If you want it to play through the bike's speakers, you need to pipe it into the Aux connector as mentioned above.

I just got back from a trip to the smokies on my GSA and i used Pandora. It works great. I have my droid going into my J&M CB/intercom unit.

2018 R1200RT Mars Red
2017 R1200GS Rallye
2014 Husky FE501
post #12 of 15 Old Oct 25th, 2011, 6:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
A2dp app takes care of the bluetooth issue from phone to helmet.

Yes, but...only 1 A2DP link can be made to the headset at a time. If you have the headset paired to the bike's audio system, that uses the only available A2DP link. You should still be able to pair the phone to the headset simultaneously, but that link will use the "handsfree" profile for use with the phone function.

Steve W
Canton, MI USA

2012 K 1600 GT (#901 from 8/6/2011)

post #13 of 15 Old Oct 29th, 2011, 5:53 am

I have the Schuberth C3 with the BMW bluetooth unit and an iPhone 4S. To answer the questions, if you use a 3 pole 3.5mm connector/cable between the iPhone and the Aux input in the right cubby, you can both listen to music via the hard connection and make/accept calls via bluetooth (helmet speakers & microphone). When the call ends, the music returns.

I want to be able to hear and use the NavIV, so pairing the iPhone to the helmet won't work as desired (helmet unit doesn't support 2 A2DP connections at once and no way to easily cycle between them).

Here is my setup. I got tired of using a ziplock bag over the iPhone when it rained, so I modified a Think Biologic bike mount for the iPhone. The thing I like about it is it's essentially waterproof (tested in a few deluges), even with the 3.5mm cable plugged in. The mount did require some modification, which you can see here.

(I would post pictures, but the retarded way this forum requires text to be entered for a links, makes posting thumbnails with links to the larger images a pain in the @$$ - Rant Off).

The 3.5mm 3 pole cable is routed under the seat to a MixIt2, which allows for me to add other sound inputs like a radar detector, etc. For $159 it's a lot cheaper than an autocom.

I then route a 3.5mm 3 pole cable from under the seat to the right cubby and the Aux connector. Works like a charm. With the bike audio set to AUX, I get any audio out of the iPhone (music and Navigon GPS routing), along with radar beeps set to override the iPhone output, along with NavIV audio overriding the AUX.

For long trips where I use the Ultimate Ears in-ear monitors, I can plug those into the MixIt2, forgoing the AUX input and still have the bluetooth helmet connection for the NavIV and phone calls.

So far, it's been pretty reliable and I'm happy with the results.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
2012 K1600GTL Silver

IBA # 42277

post #14 of 15 Old Oct 29th, 2011, 8:28 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

A lot of great suggestions and all of my questions have been answered. I haven't decided yet on a/the new "smart" phone, but I tried a new BT cell phone out last week that seemed to work well with the bike's BT. From the showroom to the bike and working as a demo in about 2-3 minutes. Real simple!

As much as I like Pandora, I might just live with the built in Sirius Radio. I don't like clutter on my bike and the less wires, patch cables, items hanging on the bars and shelves, in my opinion, the better.

I'm just not sold yet on the need for a smart phone. All of the aps would be fun to play with, but not yet necessary. My 10" net book solves the email on the road and browsing need.

Dan

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #15 of 15 Old Oct 31st, 2011, 8:41 am

Bionic LT

I recently got the nerve to take off the tupperware and start an install Ive been thinking about since I bought the bike (a little over 2 mo. ago - very noob).

I removed the original Nav III and replaced it with a Motorola Bionic cell phone (android).
Extra equip. needed;
- Car Dock (about $30 - has a mini-usb connector for charging and audio)
- Motorola aux. usb charging and audio cord (about $25)
- J&M ipod to BMW phone patch cord (about $25 - 2.5mm to 3.5mm)

I mounted the car dock on a Ram mount conversion and ran the Moto cord down to the cubby box, where the J&M patch cord connects it into the phone port on the Voice II and the usb plugs into a 12V power plug installed in the cubby.

It streams net music, does Nav (Google maps are great for route info from "My Maps" on Google), will recieve calls through the headset (Im on wired J&M) and best of all, the phone locks in and I can take it out when Im stopped. Only one wire and its barely visible.

I havent tried placing calls, but assume with apps like vlingo it would be very do-able (hands-free of course)

Will post picts if anyone is interested in seeing the current setup.
Not sure how this would work through BT, but would wager it shouldn't be to difficult.

Enjoy the ride

Wes D
San Diego, CA

'09 K1200LT
'97 Yamaha Virago XV1100
'87 Yamaha XJ 650 Maxim
'81 Honda CB450
'70 Honda CT90

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in