Riding impressions K1600GTL - First 400 miles - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 14th, 2011, 11:21 am Thread Starter

Riding impressions K1600GTL - First 400 miles

Been doing my break in riding and thought I would share my early riding impressions.
I have been a long term LT rider, having purchased my LT in early 2000 and just traded with 93 K miles
Its very clear to me that the GTL bike is not, nor intended to be a replacement to the LT.
My test rides, and now riding my own confirms this reality.
Positives:
Motor- wow is best way to put it. I can add nothing to all previous post and moto press raves.
Trans- a delight some BMW clunk but compared to my GSA its smooth.
Brakes- Wonderful very confidence inspiring. Grab as much brake as you want and you stop right now , but no drama.
Wonder wheel ... easy to use after you get some experience. I like it.
Clutch - Love the slipper clutch. Bang a down shift , grab some throttle and go, again no drama
Handling - wonderful slow speed manners, very light. Road speeds, point and shoot.
Engine management modes: LOVE dynamic mode. And I still have not hit above 6 K yet.

"Jury still out":
High seat- better than expected but , no real long trips so we will see?? But may need to lower the pegs first.
Wind Screen- for me its ???

Con:
Wind and air flow - This is a area were the LT shines in comparison.
Wind buffeting is noticeable in the cock pit area, and really strong for my wife.
Truck wash and cross wind seem to move the bike around more than even my GSA.
New wind screen is likely.

For me the con factors are more than out weight by the plus. The more I ride it the more I love it. It was time to move to a lighter bike, but still have the strong touring features that wanted.
I know I will need a radar detector.
More later , but it's all good so far

Tom Gary
Treasurer Curve Cowboy Reunion
2012 K1600GTL #1031
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 R1200 GS Adventure Red
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 K1200 LTC Canyon Red - SOLD
2004 K1200 GT Piedmont Red--SOLD

1971 Honda CB750K1
BMW MOA Life Member
BMW RA Member
AMA Member
MSTA Member

Last edited by DEKESBMWTOY; Oct 14th, 2011 at 11:25 am. Reason: correct typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 14th, 2011, 12:18 pm

Re: Riding impressions K1600GTL - First 400 miles

Yup, pretty much as I found. The seat is better than average, but i'm a real lard butt, so I always go for an aftermarket or custom seat. Trying Russell day-long this time around, although Corbin works fine for me on my GS adventure.

The wind blast and noise was the worst thing I found (not that bad, but when everything else is great, kinda bad seems awful!) A California Scientific solved that problem completely for both me and my wife. She usually rides her own, but loves riding as pillion on my GTL.

And +1 on the radar detector. Darned thing should have come with a standard plug in for one

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 19th, 2011, 4:33 pm

I just test rode a 1600 and for me, there is no comparison. I'm sure I will miss the BMW lineup when I trade my LT but the new 1600 is no replacement. It's an engineering marvel, don't get me wrong, but the K1200 LT is still the best ride on the road.

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 20th, 2011, 9:14 am Thread Starter

I can certainly understand your feelings on the LT. But for me so far the plus factors out weight cons. Right now concerns for dealing with wind buffeting for my wife is the main issue that I need to tackle. A new wind screen is very likely.

Tom Gary
2012 K1600GTL #1031

1971 Honda CB750K1
BMW MOA Life Member
BMW RA Member
AMA Member
MSTA Member

post #5 of 11 Old Oct 24th, 2011, 12:30 pm

Could you please explain what you mean by:

"Trans- a delight some BMW clunk but compared to my GSA its smooth."
What is BMW clunk? I've never owned a BMW until the GTL.

"Clutch - Love the slipper clutch. Bang a down shift , grab some throttle and go, again no drama"
What is a slipper clutch?

I like the dynamic mode now that my bike has gotten a firmware upgrade. Before the upgrade, the bike would nose dive dramatically when letting off the throttle. Now it is more predictable.

I find lots of buffeting when I have the windscreen down.

Thanks.
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 24th, 2011, 2:21 pm

If you are thinking of getting a new wind shield and a new saddle get the saddle first to see if the new height makes any difference. It has with my bike.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 25th, 2011, 9:59 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaindogs
Could you please explain what you mean by:

"Trans- a delight some BMW clunk but compared to my GSA its smooth."
What is BMW clunk? I've never owned a BMW until the GTL.

"Clutch - Love the slipper clutch. Bang a down shift , grab some throttle and go, again no drama"
What is a slipper clutch?

I like the dynamic mode now that my bike has gotten a firmware upgrade. Before the upgrade, the bike would nose dive dramatically when letting off the throttle. Now it is more predictable.

I find lots of buffeting when I have the windscreen down.

Thanks.
I think most BMW owners of other models will report a very positive IE clunk engagement of of the transmission. This is really noticeable if you own a R 1200 GSA, with its very low IE large first gear. In other words its not a "snick" as the gears engage but a "thunk".
So for me while its still present just not as much as my r1200GSA.

As to a slipper clutch. Adding a cut and paste from wiki to explain. Its a real benefit in helping to manage the K1600 significant engine torque.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++
A slipper clutch (also known as a slider clutch or back-torque limiter) is a specialized clutch developed for performance oriented motorcycles to mitigate the effects of engine braking when riders decelerate as they enter corners.
They are designed to partially disengage or "slip" when the rear wheel tries to drive the engine faster than it would run under its own power. The engine braking forces in conventional clutches will normally be transmitted back along the drive chain causing the rear wheel to hop, chatter or lose traction. This is especially noted on larger displacement four-stroke engines, which have greater engine braking than their two-stroke or smaller displacement counterparts. Slipper clutches eliminate this extra loading on the rear suspension giving riders a more predictable ride and minimize the risk of over-reving the engine during downshifts. Slipper clutches can also prevent a catastrophic rear wheel lockup in case of engine seizure or transmission failure. Generally, the amount of force needed to disengage the clutch is adjustable to suit the application.
Slipper clutches have been used in most high displacement four stroke racing motorcycles since the early 1980s. Slipper clutches were introduced in the 1970s by John Gregory and TC Christenson on "Hogslayer" the most successful drag racing motorcycle of the 1970s. Made of bronze sintered plates from an earthmover and a Rambler 2 speed transmission, the drivetrain let TC reach 180 mph in the quarter mile. Slipper clutches are used on many current sport bikes.
================================================== ==========

Tom Gary
2012 K1600GTL #1031

1971 Honda CB750K1
BMW MOA Life Member
BMW RA Member
AMA Member
MSTA Member

post #8 of 11 Old Oct 25th, 2011, 10:05 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u
If you are thinking of getting a new wind shield and a new saddle get the saddle first to see if the new height makes any difference. It has with my bike.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried my airhawk and seems to work to set me a little higher.
I know others report the seat as typical BMW IE: Terrible, but so far for me it seems to be working for me, but need a little more leg room. Might try the VERHOLEN peg's as a way of getting some leg room.

Tom Gary
2012 K1600GTL #1031

1971 Honda CB750K1
BMW MOA Life Member
BMW RA Member
AMA Member
MSTA Member

post #9 of 11 Old Oct 25th, 2011, 12:31 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I have the low seat & my wife said she had more buffeting till I added the Airhawk. With me up Higher it blocks more wind for her.

Stevie Shreeve
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 25th, 2011, 4:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEKESBMWTOY
Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried my airhawk and seems to work to set me a little higher.
I know others report the seat as typical BMW IE: Terrible, but so far for me it seems to be working for me, but need a little more leg room. Might try the VERHOLEN peg's as a way of getting some leg room.
On my trip to Prince Edward Island I added a Airhawk in Virginia and still was not fully comfortable until I turned over the air chamber. I have since gotten a Russell it is firmer and does not move around. I highly recomend the airhawk and will take mine on the Run for the Wall next year. When you are riding for four straight weeks your butt can and will get sore at sometime.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 26th, 2011, 7:51 am

I have the high seat and it works very well for me. (I'm 6'4", 34" inseam) The day after I got it I left Dallas for Ouray, Co. First day was 650 miles and I had no issues with the seat. I do wish I'd had a little more time to get used to the bike, such as exactly what the multi wheel thingy on the left grip does.
The GTL is the best riding bike I have ever owned, totally different ride than my LT or GSA. I have since sold the GSA and will sell the LT after I do a few maintenance things.

Bob Walker
Rio Rancho,NM
'13 Yamaha Super Tenere
'00 LTi Trike, Basalt Blue
'12 K1600GTL, Dark Blue(Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in