Left pull bike: let dealer ride and submit PUMA to BMW - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

Left pull bike: let dealer ride and submit PUMA to BMW

I'm taking my GT to my dealer next week so they can ride it, confirm the left pull and submit a PUMA to BMW. See here for info on PUMA:

https://www.bmwmc.net/catalog/PuMA%2...%20Revised.pdf

BMW is not going to address this issue unless people start compaining and this is the offical way to get started. My dealer has already submitted one left pull PUMA to BMW on a GTL.

Once your dealer submits a PUMA post here so we can get an idea of how many have been submitted.

Thanks.

2018 R1200RT Mars Red
2017 R1200GS Rallye
2014 Husky FE501
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 4:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Left pull bike: let dealer ride and submit PUMA to BMW

I'd be curious to find one that did not pull to the left!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 25 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 5:25 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

OK Mine does not pull to the left.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 25 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
OK Mine does not pull to the left.
OK we are going to have to borrow your bike for a week or so to dismantle completely and take detailed measurements. Pretty sure it will pull to the left when we are done assuming it runs at all.

2018 R1200RT Mars Red
2017 R1200GS Rallye
2014 Husky FE501
post #5 of 25 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 10:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

AFTER READING REPORTS OF A LEFT PULL AND HOW IT CAN EFFECT THE BODY-

I have been off of my bike for about 3 weeks (trip out of the US) and only now starting to read the threads on the K1600GTL pulling to the left. Mine has done this from day one, but I did not think it was a problem until I did an Iron Butt 1,000.

Until I read the reports of others, I really didnít have a reason to take my hands off of the handlebars. After I did though, I noticed the pull to the left. I still did not think it a problem until I did a long ride.

By the end of the ride, my right shoulder blade was quite sore. Reading about others leads me to think that after 1,000 miles, with a pull to the left, I WAS fighting it and just didnít give it much thought.

My bike goes back to the local dealer in two weeks (another trip next week) for its crash-bars and I will have the PUMA report written.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #6 of 25 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 11:11 pm

My GTL has never pulled to the left I have tested it for about 1/4 mile no hands on the handlebars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR
post #7 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 9:29 pm

Just filed a NHTSA report. If enough people file with the NHTSA that may provide another source of incentive for BMW to endorse a fix.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

So far, out of 118 people polled, 58% report the pull to the left. So the odds are greater than 50/50 you will have this "feature" at no extra charge (sorry, slipped into software salesman mode for a minute).

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
2012 K1600GTL Silver

IBA # 42277

post #8 of 25 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 9:13 am

Has anyone tried straightening the forks ?

Wheel alignment check ?

Another great BMW Fu'messup ?

Surely it's just a tweak on the front end somewhere...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #9 of 25 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 9:49 am

[QUOTE=DanDiver]AFTER READING REPORTS OF A LEFT PULL AND HOW IT CAN EFFECT THE BODY-

By the end of the ride, my right shoulder blade was quite sore. Reading about others leads me to think that after 1,000 miles, with a pull to the left, I WAS fighting it and just didnít give it much thought.

Hey Dan,

I think when you get beyond a thousand miles, you are going to feel stabbed in the back somewhere, left pull or no left pull. Pain is part of the long ride pkg. Congrats on the ride.
post #10 of 25 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 10:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
Has anyone tried straightening the forks ?

Wheel alignment check ?

Another great BMW Fu'messup ?

Surely it's just a tweak on the front end somewhere...

John
One approach discussed in this thread, which links to another thread with pics.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #11 of 25 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 6:42 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosswrap
I think when you get beyond a thousand miles, you are going to feel stabbed in the back somewhere, left pull or no left pull. Pain is part of the long ride pkg.
Not if your bike is set up correctly, for you. I recently ran 13K miles in 10 days, and didn't have any specific sore spots.

Then again, my bike was set up in consultation with a chiropractor, to make sure it was "just right" for me.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 25 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 8:47 pm

Cool Re: Left pull bike: let dealer ride and submit PUMA to BMW

Yep, my GTL has pulled to the left from day one.

My LT never pulled, but it did shimmy now and then upon changing front tires. Totally related to out of round tire conditions. Even the Metzler rep told me once that they actually make "round" tires once in a while.

The GTL pulls bad enough that its impossible ride hands free long enough to feel any tire shimmy.

I sense another rear drive failure fiasco coming (aka BMW's total denial of a problem).

Fortunately, for me I don't see it as a major issue, just an annoying qwirk.
post #13 of 25 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 9:44 am

My bike pulls to the Left as well , Does bmw know about this.
post #14 of 25 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 9:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesnumbnuts
Does bmw know about this.
In spades -- *many* complaints. The informal feedback is "they're working on it," but there's no "official" comment from BMWAG as yet.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #15 of 25 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 10:18 am

It's amazing how basically every bike pulls to some degree. I've been lucky that mine only pulls only slightly where if I take my hands off the handlebars, it will slowly go left but I can keep it straight with almost no effort with my body.
Ken
post #16 of 25 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 7:01 pm

My LT pulled a little at times, but I tried something I saw somewhere, on a straight two lane road, with no oncoming traffic, move over to the left side. The pull reversed. It had to do with the "crown" of the road, when the pavement is slanted a little to the right, as in the right lane, it causes the center of the "track" on the tire to be slightly offset, when slanted to the left, the track offset is to the other side.

Try it and see if it has any affect on the GT. It may not, but would be interesting to see.

I also found on the LT that if it was pulling a little one way, I could swing out the little "wind wing" under the mirror on one side or the other and affect it. Much like you can ride hands off, and make the bike go to the left by holding out one hand in the wind, to the right with the other hand.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #17 of 25 Old Oct 13th, 2011, 9:42 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
My LT pulled a little at times, but I tried something I saw somewhere, on a straight two lane road, with no oncoming traffic, move over to the left side. The pull reversed. It had to do with the "crown" of the road, when the pavement is slanted a little to the right, as in the right lane, it causes the center of the "track" on the tire to be slightly offset, when slanted to the left, the track offset is to the other side.

Try it and see if it has any affect on the GT. It may not, but would be interesting to see.

I also found on the LT that if it was pulling a little one way, I could swing out the little "wind wing" under the mirror on one side or the other and affect it. Much like you can ride hands off, and make the bike go to the left by holding out one hand in the wind, to the right with the other hand.
My bike will pull no matter where in the road. I tested it extensively. In fact when my dealer tested, they wrote it up that it would pull left over the crown.

2018 R1200RT Mars Red
2017 R1200GS Rallye
2014 Husky FE501
post #18 of 25 Old Jul 13th, 2013, 7:35 pm

Has there been any development in the left pull issue?

I seem to get pretty poor mileage from rear tires, which may be attributed to throttle application, but the front is usually scalloped enough to require replacement with the rear. I am wondering if this wear pattern is due to the left pull?

Is there an alignment fix for this issue now?
post #19 of 25 Old Jul 17th, 2013, 9:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosswrap
Has there been any development in the left pull issue?

I seem to get pretty poor mileage from rear tires, which may be attributed to throttle application, but the front is usually scalloped enough to require replacement with the rear. I am wondering if this wear pattern is due to the left pull?

Is there an alignment fix for this issue now?

May be this is a dead horse, but does anyone have any more current info. on the pull issue?
post #20 of 25 Old Jul 20th, 2013, 11:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick
I'm taking my GT to my dealer next week so they can ride it, confirm the left pull and submit a PUMA to BMW. See here for info on PUMA:

https://www.bmwmc.net/catalog/PuMA%2...%20Revised.pdf

BMW is not going to address this issue unless people start compaining and this is the offical way to get started. My dealer has already submitted one left pull PUMA to BMW on a GTL.

Once your dealer submits a PUMA post here so we can get an idea of how many have been submitted.

Thanks.
What's a PUMA?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #21 of 25 Old Jul 20th, 2013, 2:45 pm
Ric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
What's a PUMA?

Think of it as a dealer asking the Mothership for an investigation of a specific customer complaint and assistance in finding a solution. More or less asking for help from BMW.

Rick
post #22 of 25 Old Apr 12th, 2014, 11:33 pm

I have continued to inquire with any dealer I run into about the "left pull" issue. More often than not they look vague and say something like "what do you mean?' If I say, "well when you remove your hands from the bars the bike turns left," they respond something like " BMW recommends that you drive with your hands on the bars." Not funny!

Here is a translation for dealers they may understand. To maintain straight and level travel line, on my bike, a slight forward pressure is required on the right bar, and a slight rearward pressure is required on the left bar. A counter steer I believe it is called. This is a small force, a few ounces I guess. If you reverse the direction of the forces, push on the left and pull on the right, the bike immediately lurches into a left hand turn, so there is a definite misalignment of some sort.

Normally one might expect to get two or three times the life from the front tire that you get from the rear. On my bike, with out fail, the tech. will come back to me when I request a rear change and say "the front is scalloped." I have changed the front each time I have changed the rear. That's every time.

As I believe has been mentioned earlier in this thread, this little constant force can accumulate and be very hard on the body. This week I had planned a trip to Vegas then on out to San Diego from the snow bank up her in New Brunswick CA. When I got to El Paso three ride days later, my back had seized totally forcing me to cut short the trip and return home via Advil.

Is there a wheel alignment machine for a two wheeled vehicle, as there are many of for four wheeled ones? How can this issue corrected, or at least verified?

Any developments or thoughts on this one?
post #23 of 25 Old Apr 13th, 2014, 1:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Brian,

I wish I could help you with the left pull problem, but I canít remember it being much of a problem. I might have mentioned it in the very early days of my bike, after someone else pointed it out, but I must have learned to adjust for it or it went away. I think my bike does pull to the left, a very little bit, but Iíve either gotten used to it or it was not that much of a problem.

I think when it was mentioned a few years ago, I raised up my hands, it went to the left and I figured that I too had the problem. After almost 3 years and 17K miles, it does not seem to be an issue with me.

Iím guessing that you have removed the side compartments or made sure they were empty to test, so other than that, I probably canít be of any help. The K1600 site might also be a good source of insight.

(after re-reading my original reply, I'm guessing that the 1,000 mile ride might have had something to do with the pain in my shoulder and not a left pull.) I know it's been said that a properly set up bike should not cause any discomfort!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #24 of 25 Old Apr 14th, 2014, 6:50 pm

Thanks Dan.
post #25 of 25 Old May 1st, 2014, 9:52 am

Found the fix for "Left Pull!" Just did a trade for a Beige 2014 GTL, but only after a test ride. This one seems nearly perfectly steering neutral. Quite a few changes, no need to move my aftermarket horns. This model has a pretty good stock horn. Do have to move the Remus exhaust, AeroFlow deflectors, and that "Butt" plate trim. Bike comes with synthetic oil stock. Not sure I like that, but going to go with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in