Trading in my K1300GT for a K1600 GTL - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Sep 30th, 2011, 11:21 pm Thread Starter

Trading in my K1300GT for a K1600 GTL

Hi, I'm new to this forum and will be trading in or selling my 2009 K1300GT for a new GTL. I took the GTL for a test ride and was sold on the bike almost immediately. Although I love my 1300 my body doesn't seem to be cooperating anymore and I find the peg position really bothering my knees. Also, I guess I'm not into the slightly forward lean it puts me into anymore. Anyway I was wondering if any of you who actually own a 1600 GTL have had any adjustment problems if you came off a K1200 or K1300GT? What I'd be most interested in finding out is in slow going and stop and go traffic if the heft and weight of the 1600 is or has been a problem? Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated. I know from my road test of the GTL that the bike handles amazingly well once you get going. In fact it was a real surprise to find out that this bike actually handled better then my 1300 in almost every way. The only concern I have is dealing with all the added weight under slow going for extended periods of time. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 6:50 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Trading in my K1300GT for a K1600 GTL

I did not come from a GT so I can not answer the " forward leaning " but I did come from a LT & the weight of the GTL is only about 60 LBS lighter then the LT but feels 200LBS lighter because of the low center of gravity. You will be very happy with the GTL.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 9:01 am Thread Starter

Thanks Kat appreciate the feedback. Does anyone else have anything to offer with regards to what I can expect in way of adjusting to the GTL coming off of a 1300GT?

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 10:27 am

I have actually gone for the GT but with the GTL low one piece seat. We toured Europe this summer on my 1300 GT travelling to Rumania and back, and it was the first real distance we had done. I found the seat almost unbearable after about 1 1/2 to 2 hours and Mary got knee ache as the week went on. The 1600GT is immediately much more comfortable and in many ways, easier to handle than the 1300 much to my surprise. I used to have an LT and was worried about the weight on that, even after 2 years, and the 1600GT is nothing like the LT!! It is a joy to ride and tours and corners like no bike I have had!!
Hopefully, this really is the best of all worlds.
post #5 of 10 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 11:51 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback Chris. I'm hoping to find out for myself over the next couple of months.
post #6 of 10 Old Oct 25th, 2011, 11:10 am

I test rode a GTL and was very impressed, the only comment I have is that the throttle is just a little bit too quick for low speed manuevers.......other than that it is a rocketship......great handling, flickable(?really) speedo needs to read out in large digital numbers, tach needs to be bigger.
post #7 of 10 Old Oct 25th, 2011, 11:48 am

Lionsgate, Not bashing the GTL....but if you're coming off a K, you owe it to yourself
to try a Goldwing before you trade.
post #8 of 10 Old Oct 25th, 2011, 12:24 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonfromCB
Lionsgate, Not bashing the GTL....but if you're coming off a K, you owe it to yourself
to try a Goldwing before you trade.
The K12GT in NO WAY is the same category as a Wing !?! The Wing is a touring bike & that is about it. Where the K12GT is a true "Sport Touring" bike. The K16GTL fits both the Sport & Luxury Touring. Fast as hell , great handling in the twisties & eats miles all day long. Now if your talking about the K12LT then it is a little closer to the Wing in fact that they are both Luxury Touring bikes. But then again the LT still beats a Wing for carving up twisties.

Stevie Shreeve
post #9 of 10 Old Oct 25th, 2011, 4:41 pm

If you really want to see the ergonomics of the two bikes go to this site

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #10 of 10 Old Oct 25th, 2011, 6:34 pm

If ergonomics is the question the aftermarket is the answer. Had a k1200GT. Ergonomics weren't very good. A combination of bar backs higher windshield, peg relo kit and a higher seat made it perfect. Just bought a K1600GT and am going to have to go through the same thing again. Take your time and experiment until you find what works for you. I have taken a Wing out for a ride and was just as tired and sore as I was on the K16GT. Very few of us have the perfect height, upper /lower body ratio, weight, arm length, back curvature etc. to make a stock bike fit like a glove. Find the dream bike you would like to own and before you buy it spend some time in the aftermarket seeing if you can fix the problems enough to make it comfortable. If you can't move on to another bike. Thankfully I have had an LT, GSA GT and now the 16GT and all of them I have been able to make comfortable enough to do an 800 mile day on thanks to the aftermarket.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in