Engine Break In - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Sep 29th, 2011, 7:51 pm Thread Starter

Engine Break In

I pick up my new GT next Thursday. I was wondering if any of you are doing anything special to break in the engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Sep 29th, 2011, 8:29 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Engine Break In

Keep RPM below 5000 for the first 600 Miles /1000 KM. Then below 7000 till 1500 miles. After that have fun.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 11 Old Sep 30th, 2011, 5:27 am
win

Garage

By the book:

While running in the motorcycle, vary the throttle opening and engine-speed range frequently;
avoid driving for long periods at a constant speed.

Try to do most of your riding during this initial period on twisting, fairly hilly roads, avoiding
highways if possible.

Observe the engine run-in speeds.
  • <5000 min-1 (Odometer reading 0...186 miles (0...300 km))
  • <6000 min-1 (Odometer reading 186...621 miles (300...1000 km))
  • no full throttle (Odometer reading 0...621 miles (0...1000 km))

I keep to these guidelines.

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 3:53 pm

I have not been easy on it from day 1, lots of throttle modulation up and down the power band and I have yet to see any oil being used or any problems. Ive done this with all my BMW bikes with great success.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 6:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
I have not been easy on it from day 1, lots of throttle modulation up and down the power band and I have yet to see any oil being used or any problems. Ive done this with all my BMW bikes with great success.

F
I am with you on this method. What are you thinking about oil type, synthetic or conventional oil? My first oil change was done by my selling dealer, they used ****** synthetic 5-40. Since the engine used about a half liter over 7000 KM I decided to change to BMW oil which is 10-50 conventional. Castrol has a synthetic 10-50 that I also considered. Not sure on this one but I like to stick to one oil type, and it should be readily available.???
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 7:39 pm

Talking Re: Engine Break In

read this then you decide

www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

hth

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 10:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiwan

hth

OK, I read that. If the assertion is that the engine is quickly 80% broken in after 20 miles of hard riding, then why isn't it mostly broken in after it's tested at the BMW factory before it leaves and why is this something we have to think about at all?

It makes sense to me that you can make some difference in your engine by how you break it in riding it. I've yet to see anything that suggests that the difference it makes is significant over the life of the engine - other than some photos of nasty looking vs. pristine looking pistons.

Question: can a BMW tech use their diagnostic access to the bike to actually tell how it was broken in? (peak RPM, throttle opening, speeds, etc)...
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 7:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiwan

hth
It's amazing that what ever brand bike there is, and someone asks this question, someone gives this link.

Follow the BMW guidelines and keep going up and down the RPM range as detailed.
Ken
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 5th, 2011, 8:12 pm
Ric

I agree this is something that always seems to come up in conversation re a new motor vehicle. Many years ago I used to follow "the book" on every new vehicle engine break in. In my first career I worked as a state trooper and we were issued new vehicles roughly every three years. When I rode motors we averaged new bikes every five years give or take. We would leave fleet operations with a brand new vehicle and were on the job. In other words there was NO break in on the vehicles. We drove the vehicle the same way new or old and it was primarily interstate patrol. So much for up and down on throttle and not running at the same speed. In 25 years I never had a problem with an engine in any of my issued vehicles. Yeah I could just hear the radio traffic now...."eh Sarge I would really like to stop this clown that came flying past me at 105 miles per hour but I'm in my my new cruiser engine break in period so I'm gonna have to let him go 'cause I don't wanna blow up my engine..." The next radio traffic would be from the Sarge telling me to see him at headquarters for a tune up! Take it easy for 50 miles or so and then run it!

Rick H.
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 7:00 pm

When I bought my 05 LT, I bought 5 qts. of oil and an oil filter. Drove the 80 miles back to the house using the whole power band, every gear right to the limiter and back again, the whole way home. Pulled into the garage and changed the oil. Have not had a problem with engine in almost 80,000 miles. Chuck
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 8:25 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffer101
When I bought my 05 LT, I bought 5 qts. of oil and an oil filter. Drove the 80 miles back to the house using the whole power band, every gear right to the limiter and back again, the whole way home. Pulled into the garage and changed the oil. Have not had a problem with engine in almost 80,000 miles. Chuck
Ditto, that's how I would do it

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in