Cal-Sci windscreen on GTL - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 9:12 pm Thread Starter

Cal-Sci windscreen on GTL

I received and installed my California Scientific Windscreen on my K1600GTL. I got the GTL+1.5", as I'm going for an inch taller than the high seat build from Russell Day-Long, so it's too tall for me at this time, although I can see over it just fine with it just above park position.

I rode solo a bit tonight with it, and it's WAY quieter than the OEM shield, and even all the way up it has very little back pressure, unlike the OEM, which pushed my helmet ahead if it got it high enough to quiet the windblast a bit. Even then, the Cal-Sci is quieter in ANY position than the OEM was at its best.

The Cal-Sci shield does look a bit odd, with the big hole in it, but it really works. I could feel no air coming through it, so it must indeed be going up the back of the shield as advertised. I don't know about the rain coming through that hole yet, but I should have plenty of opportunity to find out this weekend. If I manage to get caught in the rain, i'll report the results.

I also took the wife for a short ride to check out the passenger results. She reports that she gets a tiny bit of wind on her shoulders, but that's it. I did not exceed 90 MPH, it was dark after all, but there was almost no wind noise, even at that speed, although I could hear noise from other vehicles tires and exhaust, and some engine and exhaust noise from the GTL.

I suspect that most will prefer the shorter version, equal to OEM, as only those that are doing seat mods, or extra tall in the body will need such a tall shield. On the other hand, if I need to hide behind it due to heavy rain or hail, mine goes plenty high to allow that.

Edit to insert link: http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/K1600GTprod.html

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 6:52 am

Re: Cal-Sci windscreen on GTL

Thanks for the update Ruben. I've been waiting to hear some reviews before jumping in on one of these. The science behind it makes a lot of sense to me, but water being heavier then air concerns me. I'll be interested to hear if rain gets through the hole. On a touring bike I expect to see rain. If your using your bike for more then a bar hopper, or errand runner rain is gonna be in the mix. Please report back if you could. I'm curious of three things:
1. How is it for the passenger? My wife and I travel often together
2. How much was it and how long did it take to arrive?
3. does it keep you dry?
Thanks for the feedback

pete
post #3 of 33 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 10:58 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwrkr
[Snip]
1. How is it for the passenger? My wife and I travel often together
2. How much was it and how long did it take to arrive?
3. does it keep you dry?
Thanks for the feedback

pete
1. See OP, My wife, sitting as pillion, says it's great, better than we ever got on either of my Goldwings, better than her R1200RT (rider position). She wore no jacket, just a short sleeve t-shirt so she really feel any wind. She said she got a tiny bit on her shoulders, no noise or wind buffeting at helmet level, and we could visit (with opened visors) at an easy 70 + MPH (not saying how much plus!) The GTL wind wings were closed, and I was looking well over the shield. It was about even with my nose.

2. Check the link above. They cost 140-225 US, plus shipping (plus tax for California, i'd guess). I paid 225.00, but only because it was the extra tall. The other GTL shields are all 210.00 each, with the GT shields dropping down from there. It shipped the same day I ordered, UPS ground predicted six day delivery to South Florida (not counting the pickup day) on their tracking, but it took seven. The shipping box looked like a driver had sat on it for some of the trip, a bit alarming at first sight, but everything inside was in perfect condition.

3. I'll try to find out this weekend, we're supposed to get a lot of rain again. I'll be working all weekend, but I'll try to get some rain riding in. We did ride in some light mist last night, but that doesn't count. I want to know about performance in hard rain at speed. I also need to check out how the wind wings work during HOT weather ride. I'll check that out first chance I get too.

Honestly, I might call it a keeper, even if it floods me LOL. The difference in quiet comfort compared to the OEM is unbelievable. However if I do get really wet, I "may" try the Cee Bailey, I've had fairly good results with them in the past on various bikes, but never ever have I had anything that was such a huge improvement as this CalSci. BMW should be ashamed of their windscreen effort.

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure

post #4 of 33 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 2:00 pm

I'm going to be watching this thread carefully to see your rain results. I'd like something quieter too, and ideally I'd like to get something a tad shorter than the stock GTL shield. I find that when I bring it up enough to cut the wind noise and turbulence it's just below eye level, I'd like that to be a bit lower.

'12 K1600GTL - Mineral Silver
post #5 of 33 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 6:33 am

Thanks Ruben, I'm seriously considering this screen. The rain is the only drawback I may have. It sounds like a godsend for the wife so we will see. Aeroflow seems slow in getting in the game so Cal Sci is moving up the charts.

pete
post #6 of 33 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 9:46 am

I put one of these on my RT and did not find it made any positive difference.

I also found the quality of the acrylic was lousy. It turned almost opaque whern it got really cold.

I then bought a Cee Bailey and it did. I just ordered a Cee Bailey 22". I will post my findings when I get it.
Ken
post #7 of 33 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 11:56 am

Entirely different bike, but a couple months ago I installed a CalSci on my Concours14. The wife and I LOVE IT!!! I've had several Cee Bailey's shields in the past, and this is comparable in quality, ... and I like the looks of it more.

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • 2010 Kawasaki Concours14
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
  • 2005 Harley V-Rod Chrome Edition
  • 2003 Harley V-Rod Anniversary Edition
post #8 of 33 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 1:56 pm Thread Starter

3. Rain performance (continued) I got a chance to check out the CalSci windscreen in a real frog stangler rainstorm today. It was raining so hard that traffic was moving 35-40 MPH tops, water couldn't run off the highway fast enough, so we were riding in something like three inches of water, and visibility was down to maybe a city block or so. Cars were throwing up water higher than my head, and my front tire was throwing out water that hit my legs almost up to my knees. At one point, my wife had water hit her feet on her R1200RT hard enough to push her feet completly off her footpegs. We're talking serious rain! (I should have brought my GS)

In such conditions, yes, water does come through the CalSci vent. At 30 MPH, some spray was hitting my upper chest, and as speed increased, the spray decreased, but hit higher on my body. At 45 MPH it was hitting my face shield and upper helmet. I "think" it would have been over my helmet at something just over 50 MPH, but neither traffic or my common sense would allow me to go any faster. I was throwing up a rather impressive roost as it was, I was getting concerned about hydroplaning.

Once the rain let up a bit, and we got our speed up to just over 50 MPH in a heavy drizzle, the spray no longer hit my faceshild, in fact I didn't see any spray anymore, but some water was running UP the inside of the windscreen. It May have been hitting my shoulders, most likely was, but I couldn't feel it through my Darrin jacket.

Due to the rain, I haven't checked out airflow with the wind wings open yet.

Overall, I'm impressed. Although the hole does allow water through, in light rain it doesn't seem to matter much. Until I find something better, I'm stamping the CalSci a keeper for me. (YMMV) And like Joe, I like the looks too.

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #9 of 33 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 3:08 pm

Ruben, it seems you may be nuttier then even I. When I asked you to report on riding in the rain I didn't mean to go on a suicide run LOL. Anyway thanks for the update. I'm not sure I would have continued in the conditions you reported on (and I tend to ride through most conditions). Now I'm torn as what to do, while I really like the wind review, but I would hate to be 1000 miles from home and find that a weather system was coming in and my options were to sit it out or drink road grime. I'm leaning toward giving it a try anyway, but for me one of the primary reasons for a screen is to keep my visor clear so I can see. hmmm well they are closed till monday so I guess I've got a day or two to contemplate. I'd like to be patient and wait for the aeroflow but I've got a ten day trip down the blue ridge approaching quickly, and know my wife would like an improvement. drats I was hoping you'd report high and dry.

thanks
pete
post #10 of 33 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 4:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Ruben, it seems you may be nuttier then even I. When I asked you to report on riding in the rain I didn't mean to go on a suicide run LOL. Anyway thanks for the update. I'm not sure I would have continued in the conditions you reported on (and I tend to ride through most conditions). Now I'm torn as what to do, while I really like the wind review, but I would hate to be 1000 miles from home and find that a weather system was coming in and my options were to sit it out or drink road grime. I'm leaning toward giving it a try anyway, but for me one of the primary reasons for a screen is to keep my visor clear so I can see. hmmm well they are closed till monday so I guess I've got a day or two to contemplate. I'd like to be patient and wait for the aeroflow but I've got a ten day trip down the blue ridge approaching quickly, and know my wife would like an improvement. drats I was hoping you'd report high and dry.

thanks
pete
We knew we were going to ride in rain when we left, but we wanted to get to our BMW dealer anyway. My wife wanted to pick up her new highway pegs for her RT, and they offered to put them on for free, so we had a free hamburger, hot dogs, chips, and sodas while waiting. Wasn't too many others (silly) adventureous enough to ride today, so we had no trouble finding parking LOL. Actually, it was fun, but I wouldn't have wanted to ride all day in that.

Two possible solutions for you:
1. Buy the Cee Bailey.
2. Stop at home depot, buy some 1/8" plastic to make a "plug" to fill the hole. See rain, stop to put on rain gear, install plug, and go. Rain stops, stop bike, remove rain gear and plug, and away you go again. I'm thinking a triangle shaped plug should work well, one inside, one outside, with a screw in each corner, with wing nuts to make install quick and easy. I'm going to hack one out this weekend, and see how it goes. It might NOT work, due to the curvature of the windscreen, but I'm gonna give it a try anyway. Probably be ugly, but would only be used in heavy rain.

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #11 of 33 Old Sep 25th, 2011, 9:19 am

Thanks Ruben, I had already considered the possibility of making a plug for the hole. I would be hesitant to drill the windshield as it may make a pressure point which could crack under the wind load. I'm a cabinet maker by trade and was considering the idea of using a piece of 1/4 inch plexy glass cut to shape and rabbited out on one side (the exterior face) then I could place two toggles right and left to keep it from falling out. The advantages are no drilling of the screen, and the relatively cheap cost of plexy glass, also you could look though it. This would however probably nullify the advantages of the cal sci screen while in place, but I think I could heat the plexy enough after shaping to make it curve close enough for a strip of adhesive weather stripping which would prevent scratching. just a thought, but I'll call Mark again tomorrow and see if he can send the cut out w/ the screen. He should be able to if he is using a cnc machine, if he will then a two sided toggle could do the trick, and leave a minimal passage for H2O. It's not that I expect to stay 100% dry, if I did I guesss I should look for a new hobby, I just don't want to get soaked. Thanks for your help in this

pete
post #12 of 33 Old Sep 25th, 2011, 1:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks Ruben, I had already considered the possibility of making a plug for the hole. I would be hesitant to drill the windshield as it may make a pressure point which could crack under the wind load. I'm a cabinet maker by trade and was considering the idea of using a piece of 1/4 inch plexy glass cut to shape and rabbited out on one side (the exterior face) then I could place two toggles right and left to keep it from falling out. The advantages are no drilling of the screen, and the relatively cheap cost of plexy glass, also you could look though it. This would however probably nullify the advantages of the cal sci screen while in place, but I think I could heat the plexy enough after shaping to make it curve close enough for a strip of adhesive weather stripping which would prevent scratching. just a thought, but I'll call Mark again tomorrow and see if he can send the cut out w/ the screen. He should be able to if he is using a cnc machine, if he will then a two sided toggle could do the trick, and leave a minimal passage for H2O. It's not that I expect to stay 100% dry, if I did I guesss I should look for a new hobby, I just don't want to get soaked. Thanks for your help in this

pete
Good idea, I hadn't thought seriously about getting the plug from CalSci. I had no plans of drilling the windshield, only the plug, but I like your idea better. Let us know if they can supply a plug.

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #13 of 33 Old Sep 26th, 2011, 6:17 am

will do I'l be ordering one up today
post #14 of 33 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 6:49 pm

btw, have a careful look at your stock GTL windshield. About 1" up from the center bottom there's a little branded-in BMW logo. No surprise there, it's a BMW. About 1/2" below that you'll see a little branded in "NC" logo. The stock shield is a VStream, made by National Cycle for BMW.
post #15 of 33 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 9:57 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklawrence
The stock shield is a VStream, made by National Cycle for BMW.
The stock shield may be made by National Cycle, but that doesn't make it a VStream. BMW's designers have probably called for a specific shape based on their drawings to get a specific aesthetic, whereas the VStream shape is supposedly optimized for better airflow.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #16 of 33 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 1:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
The stock shield may be made by National Cycle, but that doesn't make it a VStream. BMW's designers have probably called for a specific shape based on their drawings to get a specific aesthetic, whereas the VStream shape is supposedly optimized for better airflow.
I suspect this to be true. Interesting enough, my dealer says others that have bought GTL's from him think the OEM windscreen is fine. His sales guy is tall, like me, and we both thought the OEM screen was too noisy. Dealer himself is shorter, and he thought it was fine as it was.

In any case, the CalSci really works for me, quiet and almost turbulence free. Now, to get seat done, install a radar detector and I should be good to go. This is looking like it might be the least farkled bike I've owned in a long time, it's pretty complete as is. Lets see now, where would I put a fuel cell, water jug with bite valve, another Nav, HID driving lights ...

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #17 of 33 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 3:07 pm

I am glad the Cal-Sci windshield is working for you and is much quieter. I certainly am looking for an upgrade to the OEM shield. However, the water coming through the windshield vent straight into your helmet visor at 45 mph is a deal breaker for me.
post #18 of 33 Old Sep 29th, 2011, 5:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbellew
I am glad the Cal-Sci windshield is working for you and is much quieter. I certainly am looking for an upgrade to the OEM shield. However, the water coming through the windshield vent straight into your helmet visor at 45 mph is a deal breaker for me.
Yeah, gotta' admit it's a deal-breaker for me too. I get caught in torrential downpours too often to put up with that, and while the plug solution sounds interesting it also sounds like a PITA to have to stop and put it in and take it out once you think you're out of the heavy weather.

'12 K1600GTL - Mineral Silver
post #19 of 33 Old Sep 29th, 2011, 12:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaze12
Yeah, gotta' admit it's a deal-breaker for me too. I get caught in torrential downpours too often to put up with that, and while the plug solution sounds interesting it also sounds like a PITA to have to stop and put it in and take it out once you think you're out of the heavy weather.
Yeah, I agree about the plug being a bother, I've decided to not bother with it. The screen works so well in non rain, and it's so seldom that I ride in that heavy of a downpour and I'm not gonna bother. It's not like that much water gets through anyway.

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #20 of 33 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 11:37 am

Quote:

pete
If the intent is to eliminate water spraying on you in the rain, you shouldn't have to plug the hole. Water droplets are denser and heavier than air (forgive the statement of the obvious), so what you need to do is "de-energize" them (slow them down) so they drop from the airflow, rather than up and onto your or the helmet face screen. A simple screen at a 45 angle to the airflow through the hole should greatly reduce spray. Or, a series of stepped plastic strips, which allows air easily through but causes the water to drop, could also work.

I too have some nervousness about where all that water is supposed to go.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
2012 K1600GTL Silver

IBA # 42277

post #21 of 33 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 1:02 pm

We've sold about 8400 vented windshields, and have had almost no complaints from people riding in rain. I have ridden our shield several thousand miles in rain, I would have done something if it were a serious problem. Rain hitting a windshield goes somewhere, it doesn't just evaporate. You can have a small amount coming through a 10 square inch vent on a 500+ square inch windshield, and the rest coming off the sides and flowing smoothly past the bike, or you can have most of the rain that hits the 500 square inches getting caught in turbulence off the edges and swirling into the ride.

Note that Rueben, the guy who had the water hitting his visor, was riding in conditions where cars were pulling off the freeway, where he would normally have stopped but wanted to try my shield in the worst possible conditions, and is still a happy customer. http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...entific-9.html

It's not my customers who are worried about the vent and rain, it's people who have never tried one of my shields.
post #22 of 33 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 4:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
(Snip)
Note that Rueben, the guy who had the water hitting his visor, was riding in conditions where cars were pulling off the freeway, where he would normally have stopped but wanted to try my shield in the worst possible conditions, and is still a happy customer. http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...entific-9.html

It's not my customers who are worried about the vent and rain, it's people who have never tried one of my shields.
Yup, that about sums it up.

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #23 of 33 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 12:22 pm

Mark: Would your new wind screen still be effective if you added a vent lever like the option for Gold Wings? In rain or cold weather you could flip it shut. Thank you.
post #24 of 33 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 4:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhieronymus
Mark: Would your new wind screen still be effective if you added a vent lever like the option for Gold Wings? In rain or cold weather you could flip it shut. Thank you.
The point is that its not needed. In any rain that I'd normally ride in, there wouldn't be enough rain coming through to matter. Yes, I had some water coming through riding in that frog strangler downpour, but except for worst case testing purposes, I'd pull over like about half the cars were doing, just too dangerous to continue, as hydroplaning was just a heartbeat away.

Actually, I regret ever posting anything about it, there was WAY more water coming down on my head than could have ever come through that hole, besides which it was a dangerous and un-necessary thing to do. I'm COMPLETELY satisfied with this windscreen. If something better comes along, I"d buy it in a heartbeat, but this CalSci works great for ME. As always, YMMV.

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #25 of 33 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 4:35 am

Quote:
We've sold about 8400 vented windshields, and have had almost no complaints from people riding in rain. I have ridden our shield several thousand miles in rain, I would have done something if it were a serious problem. Rain hitting a windshield goes somewhere, it doesn't just evaporate. You can have a small amount coming through a 10 square inch vent on a 500+ square inch windshield, and the rest coming off the sides and flowing smoothly past the bike, or you can have most of the rain that hits the 500 square inches getting caught in turbulence off the edges and swirling into the ride.

Well, don't get me wrong, but I don't know how many of those 8400 vented shields went out to people riding their bikes year round. I ride my bikes even in winter time ( if there is no snow on the ground, just on the sides) , 7 days a week, and I use them for everything from commuting to extended touring. When I'm touring, I might do 12-14 hours in the rain, if I'm going transcontinental. When commuting, riding in stop & go traffic in Eastern Europe November, sometimes means spending 25-30 days / month, in really cold rain, at urban traffic speeds, for 1 hour / day . I plan to do this with my future GTL, just like I do/ did with my fully loaded (with cases ) 06 RT or 08 GSA (with aftermarket screens - additional protection) . So, I would really like to understand if under those particular circumstances, the venting in the CalSci screen, would be more problematic than a traditional screen. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only rider, especially in the BMW riding community, with the same riding habits / needs , asking the same exact question. Can we please get some additional clarification regarding vented vs "traditional" for bad riding weather ? (I'm asking Mark from CalSci, in particular, who seems active in this thread - even though I would really love to hear other rider's oppinions )
post #26 of 33 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 8:10 am

OK. From an unbiased customer who has tried both V-Stream and Cal-Sci on my 13GT. Had a V-Stream, and it worked ok; just ok. Nothing great, but better than the stock shield, which many thought was the worst stock windshield ever put on a motorcycle; it was noisy, turbulent and noisy. The V-Stream did work better than stock. It worked well enough that I bought one for my RT and LT too. The RT was a wash; not any better or worse than the stock. The LT was MUCH worse than the stock. So bad that after 300 miles I wanted to return it; supposedly one of the things one can do with a V-stream. No dice. They actually said it was something wrong with my bike because their windshields are great, so if I was unhappy there must be something wrong with me or my bike. That didn't sit none too well with me. I called Cal-Sci and talked to them and they sent me a windscreen for my GT with the assurance that if I didn't like it I could send it back and they'd tailor fit it to my needs or cheerfully return my money. I ordered the screen that they recommended after asking a few questions about me and my bike and in just a few days the screen was here and on the bike.

The Cal-Sci did work MUCH better than either the stock or V-stream. I did ride it in the rain and I didn't get any wetter with it than with any other windshield on any other bike. You'll not stay dry in the rain on a motorcycle unless you're on a stretch of road with no other cars to cause spray and don't have to stop. If you're afraid you'll melt if you come in contact with water, better stay home or drive the car. If you're willing to accept the exposure of riding a bike in the rain, the Cal-Sci windscreen is as good as anything out there. I don't know these guys, just a satisfied customer. They're not flashy or showy, don't spend thousands of dollars on advertising but they build a good product and stand behind it.

Bottom line: V-Stream has poor, nay, lousy customer service. Cal-Sci is a good product, does what they advertise and they stand behind their product. I was not happy with my stock GTL windshield so I replaced it with a stock GT windshield as Cal-Sci has not yet developed one for the GT/GTL. It is better, but not great. The next windscreen I buy WILL be a Cal-Sci for my GTL.

Greg

"Loud lives save pipes"

00 K1200LT (Emil) 94,840 trouble free miles. Gone, but not forgotten
02 R1150RT (Artie) 109,000 miles. Favorite bike. With me to the end.
10 K1300GT (The Phantom) 10,110 miles. Like flying a T-38 on 2 wheels. Gone.
12 K1600GTL (Johnny 5) 3,500. A great compromise between the LT and GT

A gaggle of Japanese bikes, then I woke up.
post #27 of 33 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 9:36 am

Smile Re: Cal-Sci windscreen on GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhieronymus
John, I ordered one yesterday for my GTL. From what I'm reading you wouldn't feel any air coming through the vent hole, but I'll know by personal experience by the end of the month. My seat is out at Russell right now, so as soon as I get that back I can test the new windshield. 7K miles and counting!

Our best to the Mrs.

Jamie

Jamie

2012 K1600 GTL (Metallic Silver)
2010 K1300 GT (Blue) Her's

post #28 of 33 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 7:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazdravanul
Can we please get some additional clarification regarding vented vs "traditional" for bad riding weather ? (I'm asking Mark from CalSci, in particular, who seems active in this thread - even though I would really love to hear other rider's oppinions )
Mostly I prefer to stay out of forum discussions, as I think it's better for my customers to write about their experiences.

There are two guys making windshields who really ride: me and Paige Ortez at Aeroflow. Paige is an Iron Butt guy who rides serious miles in all conditions, and his excellent windshields reflect his high standards and capabilities. I have about 605,000 miles total motorcycle experience. Most years I ride a bike from California to Green Bay to watch a Packers game (my sons are 4th generation Packers shareholders: when the Packers suck, we suck. That hasn't been happening much lately.) Most every year I cross Wyoming and Nebraska on a bike, twice, at temperatures between about 28f and 34f (-2c to 2c). That's about 850 miles (1350km) through prairie, dead flat, much like I imagine the Ukraine would be. I don't close up the vents that day - lower turbulence means less wind sucking heat out of my body. That's that wind chill factor thing. The air coming through our vents disperses before it hits your body and leaves you in pretty much still air. I have ridden through 400 miles of Iowa / Minnesota / Wisconsin heavy rain at 35f (3c), and gotten miserably cold and wet - a reasonable person would pull over and get a room, but said reasonable person wouldn't 1) have Packers tickets for noon the next day, and 2) do whatever it took to use the tickets. I was wet because of spray from other cars and because there was simply water everywhere, not because of the vents. On that particular evening, I imagine even the people in Cadillacs were getting wet.

Any lever system that can close up the vent, like on the goldwing, also decreases air flow through the vent rather dramatically - I would have to make the vent perhaps two to three times bigger to compensate. If you care why, it's an effect known as a Poisson boundary layer, you can google that for more mind-numbing info. And then when you closed up the vent, noise and turbulence would increase, and you would only get colder on cold days.

Paige also vents his shields, and he's equally adamant that the vent is what makes the windshield work. And, trust me on this, Paige has ridden in every reasonable condition and many unreasonable conditions.

добро пожаловать
post #29 of 33 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 11:07 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
There are two guys making windshields who really ride: me and Paige Ortez at Aeroflow. Paige is an Iron Butt guy who rides serious miles in all conditions, and his excellent windshields reflect his high standards and capabilities.
After trying out pretty much every screen available on my LT and GT, I came to the same conclusion.

The "other" screen makers simply use a pre-existing shape, and modify the bottom to fit whatever bike it's going on. For some bikes, this works OK, and for some, it doesn't. Sort of like buying a mass-produced Corbin or Sargent seat.

Mark and Paige actually create new screen shapes for each bike model, paying a lot of close attention to airflow dynamics. And they do a lot of on-bike testing to get things just right, before a customer ever sees a finished product. As such, their screens actually work, very well. Sort of like having a custom saddle made for your dimensions and preferences.

Quote:
Paige also vents his shields, and he's equally adamant that the vent is what makes the windshield work.
Yep, although Paige's venting happens at the base of the shield, rather than partway up the screen. Both methods work well when designed properly.

On my Slant/4 GT, the CalSci screen gave excellent smooth airflow, while maintaining a sporty look. The Aeroflow is also excellent, with a bit more overall coverage (especially if you get the AeroGards as well).

I have no problem using either the CalSci or Aeroflow screens, but wouldn't even bother running anything else.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #30 of 33 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 6:22 am

mine should be here today. i'm looking forward to checking it out and will report back asap. unfortunately my wife is leaving for a week so I won't be able to report on the pillion for a bit. i will take her out for a ride w/ the stock gtl screen then switch over to get a better comparison at various heights. i'll let you know shortly what my feelings are. I'll second however that for me customer service is big, and Mark spent a fair amount of time w me on the phone explaining his screen, and advising as to which one would be best (he talked me into a large as i am 6'0", I called to inquire about an xxl figuring bigger would give better protection), he was most gracious when discussing his competitors. Being self employed myself i respect that and it goes a long way.
post #31 of 33 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 6:57 am

Quote:
Mostly I prefer to stay out of forum discussions, as I think it's better for my customers to write about their experiences.

There are two guys making windshields who really ride: me and Paige Ortez at Aeroflow. Paige is an Iron Butt guy who rides serious miles in all conditions, and his excellent windshields reflect his high standards and capabilities. I have about 605,000 miles total motorcycle experience. Most years I ride a bike from California to Green Bay to watch a Packers game (my sons are 4th generation Packers shareholders: when the Packers suck, we suck. That hasn't been happening much lately.) Most every year I cross Wyoming and Nebraska on a bike, twice, at temperatures between about 28f and 34f (-2c to 2c). That's about 850 miles (1350km) through prairie, dead flat, much like I imagine the Ukraine would be. I don't close up the vents that day - lower turbulence means less wind sucking heat out of my body. That's that wind chill factor thing. The air coming through our vents disperses before it hits your body and leaves you in pretty much still air. I have ridden through 400 miles of Iowa / Minnesota / Wisconsin heavy rain at 35f (3c), and gotten miserably cold and wet - a reasonable person would pull over and get a room, but said reasonable person wouldn't 1) have Packers tickets for noon the next day, and 2) do whatever it took to use the tickets. I was wet because of spray from other cars and because there was simply water everywhere, not because of the vents. On that particular evening, I imagine even the people in Cadillacs were getting wet.

Any lever system that can close up the vent, like on the goldwing, also decreases air flow through the vent rather dramatically - I would have to make the vent perhaps two to three times bigger to compensate. If you care why, it's an effect known as a Poisson boundary layer, you can google that for more mind-numbing info. And then when you closed up the vent, noise and turbulence would increase, and you would only get colder on cold days.

Paige also vents his shields, and he's equally adamant that the vent is what makes the windshield work. And, trust me on this, Paige has ridden in every reasonable condition and many unreasonable conditions.

добро пожаловать
Thank you Mark, for your detailed reply. I was pretty sure the guys at Aeroflow were the only ones riding their bikes , it's good to know there is another "real" option available . After trying 4 windscreens on my GSA (some of them an absolute joke) , I ended up with the Aeroflow that was / is the best of the bunch by a large margin (there is no comparison actually). I personally will wait and see what they come up with, and I will also seriously consider your option. Thank you for making that choice available for us and also for taking the time to properly explain your product.
post #32 of 33 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 7:06 am

Mark, thanks for the detailed response. It really helped me understand.
post #33 of 33 Old Oct 8th, 2011, 8:11 pm

The first change I made to my GTL was to order the CalSci windscreen. The result is exactly as advertised. Far less buffeting, stable air behind the screen and no more water than if the vent wasn't there. These guys know what they are talking about--its been too many years since my aerospace/ME degree, but i recognize the terms. Bottom line" It works--Buy it!

RB

Rocketbike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in