Overheat RED Alert - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 6:14 am Thread Starter

Exclamation Overheat RED Alert

I've faced overheat situation with R1600GT. It took me maximum 6km from the showroom until the RED alert signs lights up. The dealer claims that the radiator cap was half open thats the reason for overheat. Second ride (night time with ambient temperature 39) faced with high temperature (reached 7th line from 10 lines) but it didnt turn to RED and the radiator fan turned on, the temperature back to the 6th line out of 10.
IS THIS NORMAL WITH R 1600 GT (2011)

Moh
----------------------------------------------
Honda ST1100 1999
Honda Valkyrie 2002
Honda Goldwing 2004
BMW R1600GT 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 6:20 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Overheat RED Alert

I have not had a RED ALERT.

My fan turns on a lot when I'm stopped or in slow moving traffic. Average temperature in Florida has been in the low 90's. When I move at highway speed the engine temperature drops and the fan stops running. Bike seems normal and I has similar results with my K1200LT.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 10 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 6:23 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Well first there is NO "R"1600GT it is a "K"1600GT.
39 C = 102 degrees so if your riding in traffic as in stop & start low speed the YES It is normal for the temp to rise up to around the 3/4 mark. Then for the fans to kick on & bring the temps back down.
Now if you are riding at highway speeds & it gets that hot you have a problem.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 10 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 6:53 am Thread Starter

You are absolutely correct K was mistakenly typed to R ,,,,,
The temperature reached when the bike is idle even for 3 minutes but when riding at the highway the temperature is between and
Im still testing the bike ,,, I really like the performance of the bike specially the maneuvering on the curves,,, but its not as comfortable as the Goldwing especially when you kick back and hit the highway.
If the temperature is normal then Im going to buy it..

Thanks guys,,,

Moh
----------------------------------------------
Honda ST1100 1999
Honda Valkyrie 2002
Honda Goldwing 2004
BMW K1600GT 2011
post #5 of 10 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 7:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by winghadi
The temperature reached when the bike is idle even for 3 minutes but when riding at the highway the temperature is between and
If the temperature is normal then Im going to buy it..
Normal. Buy it.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #6 of 10 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 8:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
Normal. Buy it.
Is that the perverbial "they all do that...?"

regards,
Dan

2006 K1200GT - the Jagdpanther has arrived as of 5-Aug-2011
1999 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic

Used to have:
2005 R1200GS
1994 K1100LT
1988 K75s
post #7 of 10 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 5:34 pm

I can't think for the life of me, Why, Oh Why, Would a manufacturer want their machine to constantly heat cycle like that....

Does your Goldwing do that ? I'm really curious about that.. Goldwing owners ?
David, Chan ?

It would seem to me that keeping the engine at a consistant temperature would allow for overall better operation and longer engine life...

I'm not saying it's good.. But it seems to be normal for BMW's liquid cooled bikes.

Oops.. We forgot to put that radiator cap back on....You might also want to check all the drain/fill plugs on the machine...

Right Howard ?

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 8:08 pm
Ric

I would think that the heat cycle is based on trying to keep an in-line 6 cly. engine at a resonably cool temperature based on a number of factors. It's a fairly hi-po engine in a somewhat confined structure which probably doesn't have the room for a radiator that a GW has. 102 degrees outside air temp is fairly warm for an engine of this type and configuration and I would think it was normal for the radiator fan to cycle on and off numerous times trying to keep things cool. Having the radiator cap loose doesn't surprise me one bit given the other screwups I have seen on any number of new vehicles from various manufacturers.

Rick
post #9 of 10 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 1:31 pm

If this is anyone's first in-line six you will find out quickly they make heat! My first in-line was the infamous Honda CBX, air-cooled....all thought it did have an oil cooler, that baby was hot, ran hot and tossed off a ton of heat, I only wish it had a radiator to help keep it cooler. My new Six does turn the fans on and off frequently while riding slowly or in traffic, but again, thank goodness it has the radiator and fans to do so! The CBS just made horrific creaking and crackling noises when it was sweating!
post #10 of 10 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 3:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
I can't think for the life of me, Why, Oh Why, Would a manufacturer want their machine to constantly heat cycle like that....

Does your Goldwing do that ? I'm really curious about that.. Goldwing owners ?
[snip]
John
I had two six cylinder goldwings, a 2003 and a 2009. Both of them cycled the fans a lot. At summer temperatures if I started them first thing in the morning, within about two minutes the fans would start, then cycle on and off with temperature. The difference was, the fans were installed "backwards", so to speak, and blew heat forward away from the rider. The rider didn't notice the heat quite so much that way, UNLESS riding in parade mode. Ride about 12 MPH, give or take a couple, and it would get VERY hot, to the point of boiling, because the bike was moving just fast enough that no air was moving across the radiator. Honda's cure for that was to make a change that make the gauge lie to the rider, so that the rider didn't know it was overheating! The first that the rider would know about it was when it would puke into the overflow tank. The next step would be for the electronics to shut down the engine. I never let mine get that hot.

I prefer the system on the K1600, which is similar to most other liquid cooled bikes, EXCEPT the Goldwing. Actually, most front wheel drive cars now operate pretty much this way too.

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in