Gone and done it - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 3:05 pm Thread Starter

Cool Gone and done it

I went to BMW N Dallas at lunch today to get a quart of oil to take with me on the GSA on my Colorado trip. Kind of expensive....$25k.
JC had a GTL, dk blue, fully loaded including GPS with 3K miles on it. I pick it up tonight and leave for Colorado tomorrow night.

Bob Walker
Rio Rancho,NM
'13 Yamaha Super Tenere
'00 LTi Trike, Basalt Blue
'12 K1600GTL, Dark Blue(Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 3:49 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Gone and done it

Nice.

Enjoy your trip.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 24 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 4:11 pm

Talking Re: Gone and done it

Wow, has the price of oil gone up! Congrats on the find! So you will be riding a GTL to Colorado instead of the GSA?

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobW
I went to BMW N Dallas at lunch today to get a quart of oil to take with me on the GSA on my Colorado trip. Kind of expensive....$25k.
JC had a GTL, dk blue, fully loaded including GPS with 3K miles on it. I pick it up tonight and leave for Colorado tomorrow night.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #4 of 24 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 5:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Very Nice!

You think it's loaded. This is just the starting point...... Lots more to come... Just wait till you hit the horn. That will be next.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 24 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 5:31 pm

Glad I wasn't low on oil....

Hope you enjoy it to it's fullest... Was it a demo ? Or a return ? Wondering why it was returned if so...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #6 of 24 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 5:33 pm

If you are near Loveland PM me and maybe we can ride or go out for a meal.
Colorado is a great state to ride your new GTL in.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR
post #7 of 24 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 5:59 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u
If you are near Loveland PM me and maybe we can ride or go out for a meal.
Colorado is a great state to ride your new GTL in.
Plus 1
I was there a week and a half ago & had a blast on my GTL.

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 24 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 9:51 pm

Wow...good for you. If you read this after you start your trip...I have one question: Did you sleep at all before you left?

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #9 of 24 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 6:01 am Thread Starter

The GTL was returned. The PO has several other bikes including a full dress Harley and he chose that over the GTL. It had 3010 miles on it when I drove it home last night.
Right now the garage is a little crowded with the LT GSA & GTL but I'll have to deal with that when I get back. Heading to Ouray at 5:30am tomorrow.

Bob Walker
Rio Rancho,NM
'13 Yamaha Super Tenere
post #10 of 24 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 8:56 am

Quote:
This is interesting...where were you planning to ride the GSA that the GTL will go instead?

LOL...just messing with you...

regards,
Dan

2006 K1200GT - the Jagdpanther has arrived as of 5-Aug-2011
1999 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic

Used to have:
2005 R1200GS
1994 K1100LT
1988 K75s
post #11 of 24 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 12:33 pm

I like decisive? impulsive? people! Way to go

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

post #12 of 24 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 1:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbloch
I like decisive? impulsive? people! Way to go
Impulsive? Maybe a little....but I've been drooling over this bike since the first photos came out. I had never been able to test one with a high seat. This one has a high seat.
Decisive? Had to be. I got there just as they were posting it on their web site and within an hour had done the deed. I knew it would not last long so I had to act fast. Perfect color, every option including GPS.

And I am very glad I did. This monster is so much better than my LT in so many ways.
The big drawback? It will take a while to learn all the bells and whistles.

So far I have only put 40 miles on it but I will fix that tomorrow. 650 miles tomorrow, then almost 300 the next.

Bob Walker
Rio Rancho,NM
'13 Yamaha Super Tenere
post #13 of 24 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 3:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Impulsive? Maybe a little....but I've been drooling over this bike since the first photos came out. I had never been able to test one with a high seat. This one has a high seat.
Decisive? Had to be. I got there just as they were posting it on their web site and within an hour had done the deed. I knew it would not last long so I had to act fast. Perfect color, every option including GPS.

And I am very glad I did. This monster is so much better than my LT in so many ways.

So far I have only put 40 miles on it but I will fix that tomorrow. 650 miles tomorrow, then almost 300 the next.
The bike has a lot of power available, after coming from the K1200LT

There is a lot to learn on this bike. I still haven't set up the satellite radio. Still a little confused on the radio settings too. Trying to not get distracted as there is a lot of information available as you scroll through the pages of data.

Be careful changing settings on the fly. I've been taking it slow and enjoying every moment.

The bike has a lot of power...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #14 of 24 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 10:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
The bike has a lot of power available, after coming from the K1200LT

There is a lot to learn on this bike. I still haven't set up the satellite radio. Still a little confused on the radio settings too. Trying to not get distracted as there is a lot of information available as you scroll through the pages of data.

Be careful changing settings on the fly. I've been taking it slow and enjoying every moment.

The bike has a lot of power...
Hey Dan, your not supposed to fiddle while riding, i thnik a couple weeks out on your k1600 would do the trick, mine wont be here till november so im taking notes on all the tech stuff...matthew
post #15 of 24 Old Sep 9th, 2011, 11:23 pm

Now I know where #647 DOA ended up--See my thread of that title. Hope you do better than I did with that particular bike...

RB

Rocketbike
post #16 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 12:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketbike
Now I know where #647 DOA ended up--See my thread of that title. Hope you do better than I did with that particular bike...

RB
Wow, dude, uncool. Funny, but uncool!

'12 K1600GTL - Mineral Silver
post #17 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 12:14 pm

Quote:

Timing is everything sometimes. Enjoy your new ride - ride safe!

'12 K1600GTL - Mineral Silver
post #18 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 8:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaze12
Wow, dude, uncool. Funny, but uncool!

No worries--I know where #647 is and its not in Dallas. I would not wish a bad ride on anyone. Any true believer that shells out $25K or more for this bike deserves the ride of a lifetime. I am definitely supportive of BobW. He recognizes an opportunity and goes for it. Ride safe and long!

RB

Rocketbike
post #19 of 24 Old Sep 14th, 2011, 4:40 pm Thread Starter

This has been quite a trip so far. We are in Ouray. Been over to Telluride and Silverton. Great weather until today. Now drizzle all day and between 38 and 45 depending on altitude. Tride out the Rain setting....seems to work very well as the bike seemed surefooted in the wet going to and from Silverton. Great way to get used to a bike.......so many twisties, so little time.
I haven't even tried to do anything with the audio system yet as I don't have any headset in my helmet but will take care of that in a week or so after I get back.

Bike has been handling great, no issues at all. What a differnce over the LT !!!!!

Bob Walker
Rio Rancho,NM
'13 Yamaha Super Tenere
post #20 of 24 Old Sep 14th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
What a differnce over the LT !!!!!
I will agree with you on that. The GTL is everything I wanted the LT to be plus soooo much more.

Stevie Shreeve
post #21 of 24 Old Sep 14th, 2011, 9:34 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Bike has been handling great, no issues at all. What a difference over the LT !!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
I will agree with you on that. The GTL is everything I wanted the LT to be plus soooo much more.
You guys gotta stop saying things like that. There are a bunch of LT riders that have convinced themselves that the LT is still the best touring bike out there, and so they have justified not spending another $25K to find out that they may be wrong . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #22 of 24 Old Sep 14th, 2011, 9:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
You guys gotta stop saying things like that. There are a bunch of LT riders that have convinced themselves that the LT is still the best touring bike out there, and so they have justified not spending another $25K to find out that they may be wrong . . .
or maybe we tried it and its not right for us.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #23 of 24 Old Sep 15th, 2011, 2:10 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
or maybe we tried it and its not right for us.
Nah, that can't be it . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #24 of 24 Old Sep 19th, 2011, 2:04 pm Thread Starter

Talking Re: Gone and done it

Got back into Dallas Saturday night after a little over 2500 miles for the trip. Great way to get acquainted. Still a lot to learn though.
All kinds of weather....left Dallas when it was in the 90's, got to Angel Fire,NM at about 45 degrees. For the week in Ouray area had temps ranging from 36 to 61 with sun, clouds, drizzle, rain, sleet and snow.(luckily not all at the same time) Great week of riding.
Bike did fantastic.....very glad I got it.

Bob Walker
Rio Rancho,NM
'13 Yamaha Super Tenere

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in