General public purchases... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 1:19 pm Thread Starter

Talking General public purchases...

Hey has anyone out there received any info on when they might be getting their new 1600's?I mean the ones that were not pre-ordered...I have been told that I was on the wish list and that it would be sometime after September....I am starting to think that it is going to be a lot longer than I am being told.I placed my wish order in June...I was hoping for the best but now I am Preparing for the worst...Maybe for Christmas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 3:57 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: General public purchases...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykipper
Hey has anyone out there received any info on when they might be getting their new 1600's?I mean the ones that were not pre-ordered...I have been told that I was on the wish list and that it would be sometime after September....I am starting to think that it is going to be a lot longer than I am being told.I placed my wish order in June...I was hoping for the best but now I am Preparing for the worst...Maybe for Christmas?
As a Pre-order customer I was told that anyone that ordered a new bike after the pre-order cut off time would not see a bike before late Dec or Jan at the earliest. If they do come in earlier that would be great but don't count on it. Pre-order bikes are still being delivered.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 45 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 4:24 pm

Max BMW is showing 2 new GT's and 2 new GTL's available now!!!

post #4 of 45 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 4:41 pm

Garage

So Max BMW ordered more K1600's than they had customers for, trusting they would sell the bikes anyway...

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #5 of 45 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 5:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

BMW of Ventura County told me that the next delivery will take place in November, but that all the bikes are already spoken for...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 45 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 6:38 pm

Quote:
I am no 1 on the list for post prebuy here..told this am my bike has entered the production line..a few months, maybe..(ordered May 4)
post #7 of 45 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 6:44 pm

I ordered m K1600 GTL E on 24th July.
Dealer was notified by BMW Germany on Friday 2nd September to expect delivery to his premises this week..... we will see.

How nice it is to do nothing and then rest afterwards.
post #8 of 45 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 8:01 pm

How does the preorder work? Just wondering how a dealer can have 4 available to the public when there are still people waiting for them to arrive. Can you back out of the deal? Maybe that's why they have them, dunno.
post #9 of 45 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 8:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Maybe because MAX's has the three large dealer ships in the Northeast, sponsors lots of activities including a race team?

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #10 of 45 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 8:29 pm

I thought I read that if the preorder buyer didn't take the bike, it was to be returned to BMW.

Greg
2011 R1200RT (sold)
2012 K1600GTL
post #11 of 45 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 9:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Maybe because MAX's has the three large dealer ships in the Northeast, sponsors lots of activities including a race team?
No, because like other dealers they've had cancellations, and are known to out-bid other dealers for extra bikes occassionally offered by BMW NA.

Their having extra bikes would also be consistent with my understanding that the pre-order program has been completed, and the dealers are now free to sell whatever they can get their hands on.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #12 of 45 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 10:41 am

I ordered a silver GTL two weeks ago. It was a bike that was already scheduled to be built. I was given my VIN# last weekend when the bike went to status code 150, and my manufacture date is supposed to be September 14. Hopefully everything goes as planned. If it continues to go well, my delivery date is supposed to be around the first of November.
post #13 of 45 Old Sep 10th, 2011, 3:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic
I ordered m K1600 GTL E on 24th July.
Dealer was notified by BMW Germany on Friday 2nd September to expect delivery to his premises this week..... we will see.
Well, my GTL E arrived and ready for collection by me on Friday 9th September.
Well done BMW, now to ride

How nice it is to do nothing and then rest afterwards.
post #14 of 45 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 1:28 am

I ordered mine on 1st July.

I was told12 weeks, with 6 of those on the water. Dealer says he is notified once ready for the shipping. (-6 weeks)

As of today still no news so not gonna be 12 weeks.

Guess I'll have to replace the rear tyre on the r1200 after all.
post #15 of 45 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 7:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

When I was Motorola, a decade ago, one of the things that was drilled in to us was to under commit and over preform.

I think that BMW got that down on this initial shipment of K1600GTL/GT motorcycles. It annoyed some people to not have specific dates that could be challenged, but I'm satisfied with the way that BMW did it. It was not perfect, there were a few blips and political favorites, but that is going to happen in the real world.

I just did a first (and last) 1,000 mile iron butt and the bike preformed flawlessly except for the odometer. Flipped over at around 600 + miles, but that has already been acknowledged and will be corrected at the first software update.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #16 of 45 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 3:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
When I was Motorola...

Sure, sure you were!
post #17 of 45 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 3:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Left out the (with) .

I was definitely not Motorola. That would have been the Galvin family of which I was not related....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #18 of 45 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 5:19 pm

Suspect it varies greatly by dealer. My salesperson at a large volume dealer told me last week if I wanted a GTL he could get me one very quickly...
post #19 of 45 Old Sep 11th, 2011, 6:04 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Bottom line is money talks bullcrap walks. Just saying

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 45 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 5:31 pm

The dealer (BMW of DFW) told me today that all pre-order bikes have been shipped as of today. He couldn't tell me if my GTL, to be built last week, was built or not. The week 36 tag had not been changed yet by the factory.
post #21 of 45 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 7:42 pm Thread Starter

Hey, It is just hard to wait and wait for the wheels to turn......At least in Texas the riding season is long...up here in Upstate New York it's way shorter. Good luck ..I hope you get yours soon...See Ya.
post #22 of 45 Old Sep 13th, 2011, 7:41 pm

bmw of Cleveland has a GT listed on the website for immediate delivery?

bmwmoc.com

Glen
post #23 of 45 Old Sep 13th, 2011, 7:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenhinegardner

bmwmoc.com

Glen
The pre-order program is basically over, and the dealers are free to sell whatever K16's they can get into stock.

Given the real-world production constraints (BMW AG can only produce so many K16's while also producing all their other models), there still may not be a large volume of product available for a while yet.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #24 of 45 Old Sep 14th, 2011, 10:45 am

I went to Long Beach BMW on Sunday 9/11 because the BMW demo truck was there and I wanted to try out a GT. All the local dealers only had GTL's available as demos. When I arrived at the dealership I saw two light grey GT's with signs that said, "Ride me home today!," so I did. I believe they still have one other GT available.
post #25 of 45 Old Sep 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm

Garage

Congrats. I closed a deal today on a new GTL in full options. Bike was built last week and can be at my dealers' next week. I should be able to ride in two weeks.

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #26 of 45 Old Sep 14th, 2011, 2:27 pm

I walked into the MAX BMW store in Troy, NY last Friday and rode out a few hours later on a shiny new GT. They had at least another GT and a couple of GTLs available at that time.
post #27 of 45 Old Sep 15th, 2011, 10:03 am Thread Starter

Hey, It really stinks that there seems to be different rules for different Dealers in this country....How is it fare for someone on the wish list, to not get a bike ,when others can just walk into another dealer and drive out with a new bike the same day???I thought that BMW would make all it's dealers play by the same rules...I guess that I have learned the hard way that this isn't the way.I sold my Bike in July to help pay for the New 1600 that I expected to get in Sept.....Big Mistake!!!! Lost out on a great part of the riding season here in upstate N.Y. I still believe in supporting my local BMW dealer....but I expected to be treated fairly in my purchase.... .....sorry to sound out... but feeling a bit testy about this process today....
post #28 of 45 Old Sep 15th, 2011, 10:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenhinegardner

bmwmoc.com

Glen
Sills on the West Side of Cleveland has a GT available as well.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #29 of 45 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 9:10 am

My dealer (BMW of FT Worth) gave me a 'build req' date of week 36, and tells me I'm number 6 in line for the silver GTL. He says no confirmation of build week (which was last week) back from the factory yet. Make any sense out there?
post #30 of 45 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 10:43 am

Unhappy Re: General public purchases...

Quote:
Hey, It really stinks that there seems to be different rules for different Dealers in this country....How is it fare for someone on the wish list, to not get a bike ,when others can just walk into another dealer and drive out with a new bike the same day???I thought that BMW would make all it's dealers play by the same rules...I guess that I have learned the hard way that this isn't the way.I sold my Bike in July to help pay for the New 1600 that I expected to get in Sept.....Big Mistake!!!! Lost out on a great part of the riding season here in upstate N.Y. I still believe in supporting my local BMW dealer....but I expected to be treated fairly in my purchase.... .....sorry to sound out... but feeling a bit testy about this process today....
I suspect Art and Lynn (in Fairport) are more inclined to abide by the rules then MAX who is certain to look for and find loop holes.

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #31 of 45 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 9:33 am Thread Starter

Hey, It's not just"Max" that have bikes on the showroom floor....there are quite a few that are. I do support the local Dealer...I just don't like the double standard that seems to be in effect.I hope that once the bike is delivered there are not anymore BMW factory surprises...
post #32 of 45 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 11:34 am

Not sure what it is like in the States, but over here in UK it is not too bad - ordered mine on 23rd August, went to build 2 weeks later, collected last Saturday, 17 Sept.

Amazing bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep the patience - it is worth waiting for!

Chris
post #33 of 45 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 3:47 am

Talking Re: General public purchases...

Got told yesterday by the dealer that mine is on the water. Expecting at least another 5 weeks.

Happy it's on it's way though.

Loving the forum posts. Lots of good ideas and great feedback about the bike.

Thanks all.
post #34 of 45 Old Sep 25th, 2011, 9:55 pm

Some dealers have bikes on their showroom floor. For some reason my local dealer has no interest in selling me a K1600GT so Friday I rode my RT to Indy and traded it for a new light gray K1200GT. They also had two GTLs on the floor (one is probably their demo)

Expect to pay retail but because I did they gave me more for my trade than normal. I figure I got about 1k extra on my trade.

Charley at Falcone BMW in Indy is great to work with.

2018 R1200RT Mars Red
2017 R1200GS Rallye
2014 Husky FE501
post #35 of 45 Old Sep 27th, 2011, 3:12 pm

By the way, I have seen the dealer invoice for my bike (GTL). He paid $22744 + $495 freight for it W/O Nav IV on a retail of $26,600 with NavIV sold separately. That gives you some idea of what negotiating room there is when these bikes start to be discounted. Of course this is prior to any volume rebate a dealer gets. My experience is that $1000 off is a pretty big number to be shooting for, based on previous purchases of (2) LT's, an 1150GS and a R1200C.

RB

Rocketbike

Last edited by Rocketbike; Sep 27th, 2011 at 5:08 pm.
post #36 of 45 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 9:07 am

There are a few more costs associated with the sale of the bike than those stated. Lets start with overhead of the business, you know insurance, rent, interest of the money borrowed to buy the bike from BMW, payroll, etc. Oh yeah. Profit. They are allowed to make a reasonable profit. At least I believe they do. Define reasonable. Just saying...

Ultra LT
post #37 of 45 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 1:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketbike
By the way, I have seen the dealer invoice for my bike (GTL). He paid $22744 + $495 freight for it W/O Nav IV on a retail of $26,600 with NavIV sold separately. That gives you some idea of what negotiating room there is when these bikes start to be discounted. Of course this is prior to any volume rebate a dealer gets. My experience is that $1000 off is a pretty big number to be shooting for, based on previous purchases of (2) LT's, an 1150GS and a R1200C.

RB
Yipes! If that's true, its no wonder those dealers have trouble staying in business. That's an awful small markup for what they have to go through before, after, and during the sale! How they could discount that and still stay in business is a mystery to me.

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #38 of 45 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 1:27 pm

It is like selling printers. There is no money in the printer but in the ink.

Many car dealers have the same issue. They don't make money on the car but make it in the shop. So if you have a good shop it will make you money. If you work on selling bikes but have a bad shop you will not be in business long.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #39 of 45 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 2:09 pm

Quote:
If it's like cars the bigger dealers get more allocation. Max is VERY big. The way I understand it, once all pre-sale bikes are delivered it's back to normal. Some dealers will have bikes on the floor and others won't. If you deal with a small shop you will need to be patient.

Greg
2011 R1200RT (sold)
2012 K1600GTL
post #40 of 45 Old Sep 28th, 2011, 4:42 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I stopped by Max's in NH on sat. & he had three on the floor for sale.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #41 of 45 Old Oct 17th, 2011, 11:56 am Thread Starter

Hi, I finally got my GTL on 10/14/11. I am all smiles right now and probably will be for quite a while. This bike is all I had hoped for...I hope to ride well into the fall season to make up for lost time. It was worth the wait....Thanks, Kipper.
post #42 of 45 Old Oct 19th, 2011, 5:24 am

Quote:
I was number one on the post prebuy list..I am picking my bike up TODAY!
post #43 of 45 Old Oct 19th, 2011, 6:05 am

Well, it was initially February. Now moved up my GTL to November or December, here in Scottsdale AZ. Ordered in August of this year.
post #44 of 45 Old Oct 19th, 2011, 8:00 am

I ordered mine on March 7 2011, delivery was October 12th 2011... (This is in the Netherlands)
post #45 of 45 Old Oct 19th, 2011, 12:02 pm

Ordered mine in Germany in April. A US spec version. Arrived at the dealer in July. Shipped and arrived at my house in the UK in August. At shop this week for its first checkup. 670 miles of fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in