Lay out the pieces in order of removal..... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 4th, 2011, 10:42 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Lay out the pieces in order of removal.....

Just a note to myself (and anyone else wanting to save time) to remember to lay out the pieces or at least draw a diagram of what is removed and in the proper order, with their screws. You will save time putting it back together and not have too many screws left over like I did.

The removal, replacement and twisting of the plastic to get everything interlocked, to me, is more difficult on the K1600GTL, then my previous 02 K1200LT. I took the task for granted and definitely regretted it.

Thinking that It would not be a problem, and after all, I took my previous K1200LT apart numerous time over th years and rarely had a screw left over, I disassembled my K1600GTL to install a horn and had a bear of a time getting her back together and replacing all of the screws.

It's nice that most of the screws on the K1600GTL, holding on the plastic, are the same size, except for the two on the #6 plate, but many are really hidden. There are a few with special washers too, but if I had done a better job of laying out the pieces and kept the screws with each piece, it would not have taken 6 hours to add a new horn.

There are a lot of areas where it does seem simpler to disassemble the K1600GTL, like around the top, But the many of the side pieces interconnect and having them in the proper order eliminates multiple removals to get to hidden screws.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 4th, 2011, 11:45 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Lay out the pieces in order of removal.....

You could always use the trick I used to learn the LT screws:

Print out a pic of the bike and tape it to a piece of cardboard (a soda or beer case bottom works well).

When you remove a screw, punch it through the pic (and the cardboard) in the location that it came out of.

When reassembling, just grab the screws stuck in the picture of the part you're putting back on.

That helped a bunch.

Now I do it by length and location. Short screws if there's one panel to go through, medium screws if there are two panels, and longer screws if there's a rubber well nut to go into. Simple.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 5 Old Sep 4th, 2011, 12:22 pm

Although you do not have to remove the left LED holder it makes it alot easier to replace the lower left front plastic if you do.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 4th, 2011, 12:57 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

That was odd because I did not have to remove it to take the panel off, I did have to remove it to get the panel back on! I had it twisted every which way and could not get everything to line up and fit.

It was just too easy to just remove the light. Should have done that the first time.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 4th, 2011, 3:23 pm

You can get the panel off but it is real tough to get it back on. I did it once but it was not worth the effort.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in