GTL Demo - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2011, 8:18 am Thread Starter

GTL Demo

Actually not all that impressed. Nice bike but. 2 Hour ride seat was hard hit my tail bone just wrong, got back on my LT and WOW this is comfortable. I was riding home and start saying to myself Hey I like this better. Speedo to 170 come on. this made the numbers for speed very very small and hard to read at a quick glance. You have to remove the gear shift level in order to change the oil filter, what is up with that. It was a fun ride but I just did not fall in love it.

Howard Dusenbery 2000 K1200LTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2011, 9:22 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: GTL Demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDusenbery
Actually not all that impressed. Nice bike but. 2 Hour ride seat was hard hit my tail bone just wrong, got back on my LT and WOW this is comfortable. I was riding home and start saying to myself Hey I like this better. Speedo to 170 come on. this made the numbers for speed very very small and hard to read at a quick glance. You have to remove the gear shift level in order to change the oil filter, what is up with that. It was a fun ride but I just did not fall in love it.
I agree on the speedometer... Number way too small. I'm going to place a mark at 50 and 70 so a quick glance will let me know where I am.

Oil filter is 10 times easier to get to and get off than most bikes. A cheep strap wrench spins it off, without removing anything. Now the inside tiny plug is another matter, but easily solved, if you are serious.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2011, 5:02 pm

It appears that there is a design issue with the speedometer. Be very careful glancing down to check your speed.

post #4 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2011, 5:10 pm

I do not use the speedo for speed I use the Nav4.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR
post #5 of 10 Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 12:00 pm

Agreed--I have never had a bike from BMW (on my 5th) that wasn't set 4-7 MPH fast. GPS is a far better instrument for speed.

RB

Rocketbike
post #6 of 10 Old Sep 4th, 2011, 10:06 am

I'm using the Zumo too, basically 'cuz the speedo is too damn small to read with a fast glance! Seems like my GTL is about 2-3 miles fast at most speeds.

'12 K1600GTL - Mineral Silver
post #7 of 10 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 7:50 am

I took one for a test ride. I am impressed! The only issue I had was the heat from the engine on my lower legs(HWY pegs a must) and the low seat was TOO low.
I loved it!

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #8 of 10 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 9:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812
I took one for a test ride. I am impressed! The only issue I had was the heat from the engine on my lower legs(HWY pegs a must) and the low seat was TOO low.
I loved it!
Having rode mine in 110 degree tempature I do not find the heat from the engine too hot as long as you use tall boots.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR
post #9 of 10 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 12:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812
I loved it!

I added Suburban pegs that dropped my leg down about an 1 1/2" and out just a little. Unless I'm shifting, turn my left foot out. Seems to keep the heat away.

After about 1,500 miles I really feel like I am at one with the bike and most of the controls are becoming second nature. Muscle memory is reprogrammed. For me, the K1600GTL has become an acquired taste and was not great at first. Shifting down was poor and up was good most of the time. Pre loading the shifter makes it smoother going up and keeping the RPMs up makes a tremendous difference. It is not an easy bike to ride at first, but it definitely is worth the time it takes to ride her correctly.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 10 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 2:20 pm

I am not all that impressed either. Gages are too small, I intend to keep my eyes on the road ahead and not trying to "focus" on gages which are too small to read with a glance. The heat rising thru the seat was just poor design. Dealer wanted to put reflective foil under the seat to manage it. If these two things were remedied I would trade my K1200GT for some additional two up riding comfort.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in