3Likes
  • 1 Post By MrBreeze
  • 1 Post By saddleman
  • 1 Post By LT_Pilot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 5:17 pm Thread Starter
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Gtl Vs Lt

Ok I had my LT for 6 years & almost 65,000 miles. I loved that bike but... after 7 or 800 miles I would be sore. I mean my back, arce, shoulders, every thing hurt. I rode 700 miles Yesterday in heat up to 100 then 400 today with the last 200 is tight mountian roads & some rain. I feel like I could go another 4 or 500 mile today easily. The K1600GTL (in My opinion) is the perfect touring bike. Hands down.

Yes the LT will eat up the miles but I spent years & a few bucks to get it right for me. The GTL I only put an Airhawk seat Pad on it & I was ready to ride.

Stevie Shreeve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 8:56 pm

Re: Gtl Vs Lt

Good to hear, Steve. Sounds like the trip is going well. Have fun at CCR. Hate to miss it. I decided early on that I wasn't going to go. Now that it's here, I'm regretting not being enroute. Figures, huh? There's always next year. Toadsuck, AR, right?

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #3 of 15 Old Aug 28th, 2011, 7:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

Steve, I'm glad that you are having a great ride. So far my longest ride is about 2 hours and I think I have a "stock seat" that sits on my stock seat and I find it very comfortable. I do ride occasionally with a beaded cover for ventilation.

In two weeks I'm planning to do an Iron Butt 1,000, just for grins and it will be interesting to see (or feel) how the stock seat manages. I'm curious about the Airhawk as I think you've mentioned it in the past. Does it just sit on the seat and how adjustable is it?

Thanks again for all of the previous help on my K1600GTL. You are definitely on the bleeding edge.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 15 Old Aug 28th, 2011, 6:48 pm Thread Starter
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Steve, I'm glad that you are having a great ride. So far my longest ride is about 2 hours and I think I have a "stock seat" that sits on my stock seat and I find it very comfortable. I do ride occasionally with a beaded cover for ventilation.

In two weeks I'm planning to do an Iron Butt 1,000, just for grins and it will be interesting to see (or feel) how the stock seat manages. I'm curious about the Airhawk as I think you've mentioned it in the past. Does it just sit on the seat and how adjustable is it?

Thanks again for all of the previous help on my K1600GTL. You are definitely on the bleeding edge.
Dan, The Airhawk has multiple small air pillows that are interlocked. All you do is blow some air into the valve & it airs up the chambers. You then set on it & release air till it feels right. It took 2 or 3 times of airing it up & letting air out to get it right. HERE IS A PIC of it without the cover. It sets on the seat & is held in place with 2 straps that go under the seat.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 15 Old Aug 28th, 2011, 8:53 pm

The stock GTL low seat I could only go about 100 miles before needing to get off. Most was due to a little to cramped knees, but it also was because the seat was too soft. Not as bad as my '99 LT seat which was quickly replaced by a Corbin (yes, very firm).

I swapped the GTL low seat with a guy on the forum who had a GT standard seat but needed to get lower. The GT seat foam is firmer and I did a 7 day, 3,000 mile jaunt through CA and the last day was an 850 mile day with temps between 45 and 105. For a stock seat, it's not bad, but I'm looking for something more supportive and cooler - I think I'm going to try the KonTour.
Speedfix likes this.

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 Old Aug 28th, 2011, 9:14 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Ok I had my LT for 6 years & almost 65,000 miles. I loved that bike but... after 7 or 800 miles I would be sore. I mean my back, arce, shoulders, every thing hurt.
I've had several 1000 + mile days on my LT and have never been sore except for my butt with the stock seat. Even with the stock seat I'm ok after a gas break for the next 200 miles or so.

I'm glad to here you are enjoying your new ride Steve. Have fun a CCR .
Speedfix likes this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #7 of 15 Old Aug 28th, 2011, 10:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Iv got the answer, If any of you want me to break the seat in for you I steep up and offer, Its the only thing I could do for a fellow Bmw enthusiast...
post #8 of 15 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 1:37 am

The GTL is a great bike . I have owned many bikes, some really good ones. I think this is the best. Only thing I woould change is the grips. They are small and my hands get tired quickly.

Gold WIng 2006
ST 1300 2007
Victory Jackpot custom
K1600 GTL (on order)
post #9 of 15 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 5:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

I did the Iron Butt 1,000 last Saturday and the "stock seat" was fine, with a few additions. I normally use a beaded seat cover for the ventilation and for this trip, I added a sheepskin cover, on top of the beads, after about 500 miles.

I do have to say that the seat was fine for the entire trip. My lower back and rt. shoulder blade got a little sore, but the seat was fine. Trip lasted less than 15 hours.

Ironical, a member of the "other" forum advertised an Air Hawk seat cover last week and I quickly grabbed it up, because of Steve's recommendation. Haven't tried it yet, as my wife has it on her computer chair! I might have to order another...to try!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #10 of 15 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 4:54 pm

I've had an LT for six years, and, yes, the stock seat is lousy, but I'm sorry to hear that the GTL seat doesn't seem to be much better. Very disappointing. Is BMW ever going to come out with a touring bike with an appropriate seat?!!
post #11 of 15 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 5:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg_Rider
I've had an LT for six years, and, yes, the stock seat is lousy, but I'm sorry to hear that the GTL seat doesn't seem to be much better. Very disappointing. Is BMW ever going to come out with a touring bike with an appropriate seat?!!
Not everyone feels that way. Many seem to feel that the seat on the K1600GTL is fine! Have you sat on one?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #12 of 15 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 5:31 pm

I've had my 2001 K1200LT for 11 years and 116,000 miles.
Still have the stock comfort seat.
Never had a reason to change it.
All of my Iron Butt rides have been on the LT, towing a Bushtec trailer.
Never felt any discomfort.
Planned to divest my self of the LT once I got the K1600GTL.
I've had the GTL for four weeks, now.
Having second thoughts about getting rid of the LT.
In my eyes, the GTL is not an LT replacement.
The GTL beats the LT on acceleration, hands down.
First bike that I'm not outriding my headlights.
Windshield has got to go.
Too damn noisy and too much buffeting.
Seat is a close second.
I shouldn't be thinking about the seat at any time,
much less an hour down the road.
Hate the Bluetooth connection.
Hate the lack of integrated crash protection.
Trying to figure out how to replace the turn signal switch
with the BMW left and right signal paddles and cancellation switch.
Unimpressed with the GPS (so didn't buy it).
My Garmin 276C and 378C is much better.
I treated the LT like a sport bike.
It thinks it is, too.
GTL has a lower center of gravity and a much more forgiving balance point.
It's more flickable than the LT.
But the LT has never found a decreasing radius turn that it didn't like to attack.
Problem is, I also have a 2009 GSA that I love.
Running out of room in the garage.
Speedfix likes this.
post #13 of 15 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 8:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT_Pilot
I've had my 2001 K1200LT for 11 years and 116,000 miles.
Still have the stock comfort seat.
Never had a reason to change it.
All of my Iron Butt rides have been on the LT, towing a Bushtec trailer.
Never felt any discomfort.
Planned to divest my self of the LT once I got the K1600GTL.
I've had the GTL for four weeks, now.
Having second thoughts about getting rid of the LT.
In my eyes, the GTL is not an LT replacement.
The GTL beats the LT on acceleration, hands down.
First bike that I'm not outriding my headlights.
Windshield has got to go.
Too damn noisy and too much buffeting.
Seat is a close second.
I shouldn't be thinking about the seat at any time,
much less an hour down the road.
Hate the Bluetooth connection.
Hate the lack of integrated crash protection.
Trying to figure out how to replace the turn signal switch
with the BMW left and right signal paddles and cancellation switch.
Unimpressed with the GPS (so didn't buy it).
My Garmin 276C and 378C is much better.
I treated the LT like a sport bike.
It thinks it is, too.
GTL has a lower center of gravity and a much more forgiving balance point.
It's more flickable than the LT.
But the LT has never found a decreasing radius turn that it didn't like to attack.
Problem is, I also have a 2009 GSA that I love.
Running out of room in the garage.

I'm now at two months and 2,500 miles and I agree with you on the GPS. If I had it to do over, I would mount it someplace (I might still re-mount my Nav IV since I own it) other than in the dash. My 2820 was as good. It's just too hard to see well a lot of the time because of the angle/glare and too far to read small print.

It is definitely a sport bike and not the same as the K1200LT refined. It is different and requires a different riding technique. It took me a while to learn.

I am OK with the seat, but am trying an Air Hawk. I normally ride with beads and occasionally use a sheepskin.

I am NOW used to the turn signals and they are like most other bikes. Same as I got used to the K1200LT signals. I think it would be easier to learn them than to remake um.

The windshield will be easy to swap. Just have to decide which one. I'm leaning toward two that are getting a lot of good comments.

For me, the headlight requires nothing. I do want my fog lamps to come on all the time automatically. No need to have to turn them on.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #14 of 15 Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 11:36 am

Smile Re: Gtl Vs Lt

The GTL is really not a replacement for the LT because the LT is a Luxury Touring bike and the GTL is really a Sport Touring bike. I like both but will not keep the LT, it will be up for sale in a couple of weeks. I really like my 08 GSA as it is totally different than both the LT & GTL but may not keep it either as I would like to have more room in the garage.
I bought my GTL on Sept 8th and left the 9th for Colorado. It has the high seat and was quite comfortable on the 2400 mile trip. Grips are a bit small but I will probably live with them.
I'm used to my 276c so the NavIV will take some getting used to.
Overall, I am very happy with the GTL and think it is the best bike I have ever owned, but that is just my opinion.

Bob Walker
Rio Rancho,NM
'13 Yamaha Super Tenere
'00 LTi Trike, Basalt Blue
'12 K1600GTL, Dark Blue(Sold)
post #15 of 15 Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 9:04 pm

So I am transferring over to this thread from my #647 DOA thread because i picked up my GTL today have a few observations for those still on the fence about the GTL vs. the LT. I said goodbye to my beloved 99 LT yesterday with some misgivings about moving to the K1600 platform. Back home today with the new GTL and I have forgotten all bout that.

Big time better, in almost all departments--particularly for me. I was getting just a bit tired of trying to steady the old horse while the wife jumped on and then manhandling the bike around the parking lot, especially on gravel. The GTL seems almost too light to be as powerful as it is. Agile, nimble, quick, way more power, plenty of comfort for both riders, smooth as silk, etc, etc. A great integration of technology and ride characteristics. This is not your father's K1200LT!

Agree with the comments on this and other threads on the few down side issues compared with the LT, some of which can be fixed:
--Buffeting from wind stream--CalSci windshield on order;
--Way wrong on horn and turn signal buttons--both are a safety issue trying to get your thumb around the twirley selector switch--no fix likely, but this is a big step backwards
--Weak horn
--Weak speakers--I have Scala G-4 intercom so I can iPod my music to my helmet, but that is also a safety issue as it is too distracting and hard to turn off/down when you want to focus quickly
--Luggage cases seem a tad flaky/light weight
--Seat is so-so, probably useable, but Day-long will be better

But the other list is very long. All the acceleration you ever wanted in a two up platform is the right tradeoff for giving up the no-longer-needed electric stand and rear passenger volume control. I will keep it and honestly feel this is the best possible bike i could own at this point for my needs, and then some.

RB

I w

Rocketbike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in