BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Asheville BMW Open House K1600GTL

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Travman 
#1 ·
Got to see in person the new K1600GTL. Rode in on my K1200LT. Will demo the K1600GTL next week.

I hope this is not a bad sign, but the K1600GTL on display was leaking oil. Ok now calm down folks yes it was leaking oil. I was inspecting the easy of maintance and lo and behold there was oil leaking from the oil filter where it fit against the engine. Oil filter change will make a mess onto the exhaust headers, just have to be careful and put together some sort of shield to protect against spillage. Maybe the system was designed by HD. :)

#2 ·
Sounds like maybe someone didn't tighten the oil filter properly. :bmw:

The Slant/4 bikes have the oil filter in a similar position. We just wrap some aluminum foil around the pipes before removing the filter. :)

#3 ·
meese said:
Sounds like maybe someone didn't tighten the oil filter properly. :bmw:

The Slant/4 bikes have the oil filter in a similar position. We just wrap some aluminum foil around the pipes before removing the filter. :)
Thanks for the tip Ken. I was thinking about using a piece of card board to make a "Slide" for the oil.

#4 ·
Cardboard would work, too. But the aluminum foil works well even if the pipes are still hot (you did warm up the engine before changing the oil, right? ;)).

#5 ·
HDusenbery said:
Got to see in person the new K1600GTL. Rode in on my K1200LT. Will demo the K1600GTL next week.

I hope this is not a bad sign, but the K1600GTL on display was leaking oil. Ok now calm down folks yes it was leaking oil. I was inspecting the easy of maintance and lo and behold there was oil leaking from the oil filter where it fit against the engine. Oil filter change will make a mess onto the exhaust headers, just have to be careful and put together some sort of shield to protect against spillage. Maybe the system was designed by HD. :)
asheville bmw??? where is it???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.