K16GT vs Kaw Concours Comparo - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 13th, 2011, 7:56 pm Thread Starter

K16GT vs Kaw Concours Comparo

There is an interesting comparison video between the K16 and the Kaw 1400 at www.motorcycle.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 13th, 2011, 11:16 pm

Re: K16GT vs Kaw Concours Comparo

Very interesting article. Its also a bit interesting that nobody seems to know just what to compare the GT & GTL too.

I would like to see them compare the GTL and LT.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 12:25 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBil
Very interesting article. Its also a bit interesting that nobody seems to know just what to compare the GT & GTL too.
And that's a fair point. I've read multiple articles where the K16's have been put up against the C14 Sport-Tourers, and against the GoldWing Luxury-Tourers.

I think that's the most telling thing here. That this bike can take on both segments with aplomb, making it a fun, comfortable ride that can be run just as hard as you want to. That, in a nutshell, is exactly what BMW was aiming at when they said "We wanted to build a shark, not a whale."

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBil
I would like to see them compare the GTL and LT.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but there's really no point in that. The LT is a great bike, for it's size and age. But compared to anything but a GoldWing, it is heavy, underpowered, and with limited lean angles.

Sure, you can have a lot of fun on an LT, and it's is still an awesome two-up touring machine. I've put well over 100K miles on them, in all terrains and weathers, and on several continents. And I've enjoyed those miles immensely.

But BMW's newer Slant/4 and Slant/6 platforms are simply light-years ahead of the old Flying Brick. Way more useable power, much lighter with much better handling, and a ton of new gadgets and creature comforts.

The LT may still get the nod for pure comfort, but in every other aspect, the Slant bikes far outpace it.

There are lots of stories here of LT guys who have test ridden the K16's and given their thoughts. Or that have traded up and are talking about how much they love the new bike. Those are going to be much more useful and informative than a biased magazine test of a bike that's no longer in production.

And better yet would be to head down to your local dealer and take a K16 out for a ride, then you can decide for yourself. Just be sure to head back here and tell us what you think.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 15th, 2011, 6:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
And that's a fair point. I've read multiple articles where the K16's have been put up against the C14 Sport-Tourers, and against the GoldWing Luxury-Tourers.

I think that's the most telling thing here. That this bike can take on both segments with aplomb, making it a fun, comfortable ride that can be run just as hard as you want to. That, in a nutshell, is exactly what BMW was aiming at when they said "We wanted to build a shark, not a whale."

Please don't take this the wrong way, but there's really no point in that. The LT is a great bike, for it's size and age. But compared to anything but a GoldWing, it is heavy, underpowered, and with limited lean angles.

Sure, you can have a lot of fun on an LT, and it's is still an awesome two-up touring machine. I've put well over 100K miles on them, in all terrains and weathers, and on several continents. And I've enjoyed those miles immensely.

But BMW's newer Slant/4 and Slant/6 platforms are simply light-years ahead of the old Flying Brick. Way more useable power, much lighter with much better handling, and a ton of new gadgets and creature comforts.

The LT may still get the nod for pure comfort, but in every other aspect, the Slant bikes far outpace it.

There are lots of stories here of LT guys who have test ridden the K16's and given their thoughts. Or that have traded up and are talking about how much they love the new bike. Those are going to be much more useful and informative than a biased magazine test of a bike that's no longer in production.

And better yet would be to head down to your local dealer and take a K16 out for a ride, then you can decide for yourself. Just be sure to head back here and tell us what you think.
Well, MCN just compared the GTL against the "new" Gold Wing. And the Wing kicked its butt. The most humiliating of all was when the GW engine was selected as superior to the GTL. I was truly amazed at that, but after reading their rationale I have to agree. As much or more useable power, smoother throttle response, no need for high octane fuel and much less maintenance required (and no need for $124 of spark plugs).

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #5 of 6 Old Aug 15th, 2011, 8:01 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

That's funny, Motorcycle.com tested the GTL against the latest 'Wing and found the wing to be comfortable and powerful, but dated and heavy. Whereas they loved most everything about the GTL, except the price.

Just goes to show, the only review that matters is the one that happens when it's your butt in the seat and your money on the line . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 16th, 2011, 6:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
That's funny, Motorcycle.com tested the GTL against the latest 'Wing and found the wing to be comfortable and powerful, but dated and heavy. Whereas they loved most everything about the GTL, except the price.

Just goes to show, the only review that matters is the one that happens when it's your butt in the seat and your money on the line . . .
Yep, that is the bottom line.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in