How do you like the stock seat? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Aug 13th, 2011, 7:50 pm Thread Starter

How do you like the stock seat?

I just talked to my dealer and my GT should be arriving in about 6 weeks. Normally the first thing I do is go to the aftermarket and have the seat rebuilt because the stock one makes my butt scream after a couple of hours. I have done this on the GSA, LT and the old GT. There are usually lots of complaints about the stock seat once a new model is launched. Strangely I am not seeing or hearing any about the new K1600. Is the seat on it really that good or is everybody so enamoured about the rest of the bike that they just haven't gotten around to complaining about it yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Aug 13th, 2011, 9:19 pm

Re: How do you like the stock seat?

Doing great on stock GT seat.
post #3 of 17 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 12:50 pm

I have made four 350+ miles rides and found that after a couple hundred miles I started getting lower back "strain" and so now I am not riding while waiting for my new seat from Russell Day-Long. I've not had the "strain" before. I just wouldn't want to take a long trip on the stock seat.
YMMV
Don S

post #4 of 17 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 6:14 pm

I have the factory low seat on my GT and very satisfied.

Steve W
Canton, MI USA

2012 K 1600 GT (#901 from 8/6/2011)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 7:50 pm

Better (for me) than the stock seat on the LT in that it is firmer and thus more supportive for longer rides. My GTL came with the low seat but while I liked the sure-footing it provided in stop and go, it was a bit cramped for me while riding. Traded with CGameProgramer who has a GT. The height is better for me, and I've done an 850 mile day at the end of a 3,000 mile trip on it - but I'm still thinking aftermarket once there are some options available.

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 17 Old Aug 15th, 2011, 2:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk1200lt
I just talked to my dealer and my GT should be arriving in about 6 weeks. Normally the first thing I do is go to the aftermarket and have the seat rebuilt because the stock one makes my butt scream after a couple of hours. I have done this on the GSA, LT and the old GT. There are usually lots of complaints about the stock seat once a new model is launched. Strangely I am not seeing or hearing any about the new K1600. Is the seat on it really that good or is everybody so enamoured about the rest of the bike that they just haven't gotten around to complaining about it yet?

Greetings;

I'm going to send mine to the CIA so they can torture people with it. After a 100 mile ride, they'll talk!

Bryon

Last edited by bellingson; Aug 15th, 2011 at 5:30 pm.
post #7 of 17 Old Aug 16th, 2011, 4:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Compared to what? I find the GTL stock (high) seat to be better then the LT's stock seat, which isn't saying much. The passenger stock LT was better the the the GTL according to my bride. Butts came in all sizes & shapes. I will eventually go with another custom seat for my GTL. Hopefully, I won't have to go through three seats to find one that's perfect for me for those long hauls.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory – Growing Up is Optional
post #8 of 17 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 12:43 am
Banned

Thumbs up Re: How do you like the stock seat?

went up to Russell last week (195 miles) and I now have a day-long and LOVE it! The stock seat was killing my knees, I'm 6'2". One of the best seats I have ever had.
post #9 of 17 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 2:09 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Phil,

Do you have the standard one-piece GTL seat, or the two-piece like the GT?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 17 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 8:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILBERT40
went up to Russell last week (195 miles) and I now have a day-long and LOVE it! The stock seat was killing my knees, I'm 6'2". One of the best seats I have ever had.

Have been hearing good things about Russell. When I called to check one out for the GTL, they need my old seat base to put their new seat on!! Is this the only way they work? Do they not offer complete seats? No way I am going to park my bike to send the seat base to them for refit. Had a Corbin on my 99 LT, which was a great seat. They simply shipped me a complete seat. Does Russell not do that?
post #11 of 17 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 8:35 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Corbin and Sargent are the only aftermarket seat sellers I'm aware of that offer complete replacement seats. Consequently, you're getting a one-size-fits-all seat that may or may not work better for you than the stock seat. They usually take a year or two to develop a seat for new models, so I doubt they have anything for the K16 yet.

Russell, Bill (Rocky) Mayer, Rick Mayer, Rich's, Kontour, etc. are custom saddle builders, in that they strip down your stock seat and rebuild it using better materials and years of saddle-making experience. Consequently, you get a seat that is customized to your own measurements and needs - height, weight, inseam, riding style, etc. Since they work with your seat, they can do new models quickly, limited only by how busy they are at the moment.

Sometimes, they'll have a seat pan in stock that they can rebuild to your measurements, then you send your old seat back in for the next guy (kind of like a core charge for some auto parts). But that's usually on popular bike models, and there are so few K16's out now that I doubt anyone has a spare seat just lying around.

Many riders opt to do a ride-in fitting, where they customize your seat, let you test it out, and get it all wrapped up in a single day. But that's not practical for everyone.

Other riders simply wait until winter and send their seat in then, thus minimizing down time.

Hope that helps clear things up.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 17 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 12:22 am
Banned

The guys at Russell customized my 1 piece GTL seat. What a difference. Well worth the cost.
post #13 of 17 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 8:30 pm

What was the cost on the Russell GTL seat?
post #14 of 17 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 1:13 am
Banned

Including the drive-in fee.....$650.00 But they do give you a free Russell T-shirt! Go to their website for all the details and costs. I still say....well worth it!
post #15 of 17 Old Aug 29th, 2011, 10:56 am

I find that the stock seat is good for about 400 miles a day. I will be getting a Russell this winter.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR
post #16 of 17 Old Aug 31st, 2011, 10:18 am

Smile Re: How do you like the stock seat?

I took delivery of my K1600 GTL in May (#10 of 1000 pre-ordered bikes) and have ridden 2400 miles on the stock seat---horrible! I've ordered a Rick Mayer replacement saddle and this Friday will send my seat from Texas to California for the new custom seat. As a tall rider (6ft 5 inches) the factory seat is extremely uncomfortable. During a long ride back from Washington, DC, I had to shift and sit on the rear seat for about 10 minutes every 45 minutes to restore blood circulation to my rump. With my previous bike (K1200 LTE) I had Rick make a custom saddle (two pieces) and it was the best investment I ever made on that bike. More to follow when I receive the Rick Mayer saddle in a few weeks!

Captain Tom

2002 K1200 LTE
Email:
post #17 of 17 Old Aug 31st, 2011, 9:12 pm

Hey Capt'

Are you going to park the bike while the saddle is gone? How long is the deal going to take?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in