Is there a way to lower the shifter arm a little more? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 4:43 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Is there a way to lower the shifter arm a little more?

I recently installed the Suburban kit to lower the foot pegs of my K1600GTL and the lowering went well. Problem with the shifter being too high. There is a very tiny adjustment that can be made by loosing the screw on the small extension, but that is not enough.

It looks like the long connector rod that is about 8 inches long can be adjusted. Will this cause a shifting problem if I loosen this rod and allow it to extend another 1/2 inch or so?

I have the same problem with the brake, but I'll work on one at a time...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 5:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Is there a way to lower the shifter arm a little more?

I was wondering the same thing. Distance from the peg to shift lever seems a little high when going to 5th and 6th. Owners manual describes an adjustment but I haven't had time to try. Also, the procedure don't look like it will change much. I didn't notice till after my initial dealer service.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Ė Growing Up is Optional
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 5:29 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Yes it is very easy. Just above the left foot peg / shifter there is a silver plastic cover with the # 6 on it. Remove the 2 screws & you will see the upper shifter arm that connects the shifter rod to the shifter shaft on the motor. Loosen the bolt on the shift arm (you might have to remove bolt) & pull the shifter arm off shaft. Turn it a few teeth over then reinstall. Check the foot shifter to see if it was moved enough. If so tighten up the upper shifter arm. If not remove & turn it some more.

Not sure about the brake as I have not had to move it yet but I will as it is too low for me.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 5:59 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up Re: Is there a way to lower the shifter arm a little more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Yes it is very easy. Just above the left foot peg / shifter there is a silver plastic cover with the # 6 on it. Remove the 2 screws & you will see the upper shifter arm that connects the shifter rod to the shifter shaft on the motor. Loosen the bolt on the shift arm (you might have to remove bolt) & pull the shifter arm off shaft. Turn it a few teeth over then reinstall. Check the foot shifter to see if it was moved enough. If so tighten up the upper shifter arm. If not remove & turn it some more.

Not sure about the brake as I have not had to move it yet but I will as it is too low for me.

Thanks Steve... I was looking at that and wanted a little reassurance before I started to adjust it.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 10:27 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

OK - Here is what you do to adjust the shifter arm.

After removing the cover plate ( two screws) that has the 6 on it, you also remove the cover that surrounds on 3 sides of the small lower key open compartment. Three screws and one is a #20, not #25 you have access to the 8'' shifter link to the transmission. It can be extended at least another 3/4 " . Where it connects to the transmission (loosen screw with a # 8 star socket) and there is room for more play if you need it.

The linkage between the transmission and the shifter is open and easy to service too.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 12:26 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

After getting the star socket #8 tool and then adjusting where the linking rod meets the transmission shaft I determined that making any change there would not work with the previous adjustment that I made to the linking rod. Bike would not shift down into 1st gear.

There is a hash mark on the transmission shaft that matches up with the clamp and I put the clamp back where it was before I moved it and made another slight adjustment to the shifting rod. It seems like the 8" shifting rod has about an 1 & 1/2" of play that can be worked with.

After a short ride, the placement of the shifter and the new pedal location seem to be just right. It would be nice if the actual shifter (covered in rubber) that is about 2" long were about another 1/2" to 3/4" longer. Because of the heat, my left foot is a little further out and the Suburban pedal also swings my foot out a little more. Seems like the heat varies from hot to hotter.

It really is nice the way the shifter linkage is exposed so that an occasional lub is quite easy.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in