K1600 Halls of Wisdom - NEEDED / Requested! - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 5:03 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
DanDiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Posts: 4,856
K1600 Halls of Wisdom - NEEDED / Requested!

I'm finding that it is taking me a really long time to either gain the confidence or knowledge to begin what used to be fairly simple tasks on my previous bike. Just tapping into a hot wire, because of the bikes newness is really causing me a lot of hesitation. I think it's mostly because, by the time I had my K1200LT, there were already a lot of people before me who had been on that "bleeding edge" and now were sharing the hard learned experience.

I guess it was like this in the early days of the K1200LT.

I haven't undressed my new bike yet, but getting ready to, as I have a new horn to install and a new Flash to Pass requiring the removal of plastic, unhooking of power and a tiny bit of fabrication. The anxiety builds......

Part of the problem is that there are several different web sites with the information spread around. Maybe it's getting to the time where it needs to be consolidated?

Guess it's time to really thank those who shared so much previous information on the K1200LT and were willing to take the initial plunge.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
DanDiver is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 7:52 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: , Central NY,
Posts: 102
Re: K1600 Halls of Wisdom - NEEDED / Requested!

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...or-opener.html

Ute's Chauffeur
stepheg is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 9:01 am
Member
 
jbartlett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA, USA
Posts: 64
Re: K1600 Halls of Wisdom - NEEDED / Requested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I haven't undressed my new bike yet, but getting ready to, as I have a new horn to install and a new Flash to Pass requiring the removal of plastic, unhooking of power and a tiny bit of fabrication. The anxiety builds......
On the F2P, do you have to install a receiver on your garage door in addition to the piece that goes on your bike? I did that with my previous H-D's, but found that having the H-D receiver installed really reduced the range at which the regular door opener would work, so I'm a little reluctant to do that again. Just wondering.

Jamie

2012 K1600 GTL (Metallic Silver)
2010 K1300 GT (Blue) Her's


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jbartlett is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 10:27 am
Senior Member
 
mneblett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA, USA
Posts: 5,406
Re: K1600 Halls of Wisdom - NEEDED / Requested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbartlett
On the F2P, do you have to install a receiver on your garage door in addition to the piece that goes on your bike? I did that with my previous H-D's, but found that having the H-D receiver installed really reduced the range at which the regular door opener would work, so I'm a little reluctant to do that again. Just wondering.
Yes, a receiver is installed, but I've had zero range/interference issues with my original opener's controllers -- we continue to use something like 8 units (original and F2P) with no problems.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
mneblett is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 12:25 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
DanDiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Posts: 4,856
Re: K1600 Halls of Wisdom - NEEDED / Requested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepheg
Yes - Thanks...... That is my guide. Looks like a screw over the speaker cover and then it comes off. Tap two wires and secure the transmitter.

I know there is something in the manual that discusses taking off the cover too.

One of the easier projects!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
DanDiver is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 1:46 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fremont, California, USA
Posts: 38
Re: K1600 Halls of Wisdom - NEEDED / Requested!

Dano ... in deciding to purchase a first-generation product, you have (perhaps inadvertently) become an early adopter/beta tester. That brings with it pluses and minuses. On the plus side, you are the proud owner of the latest and greatest.

You are already aware of the minus side.

Given the sales success these new sixes seem to be enjoying, it won't be long before their nuances are well documented. Until then it will be a challenge.

Good luck!
FremontLT is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
DanDiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Posts: 4,856
Re: K1600 Halls of Wisdom - NEEDED / Requested!

Got the F2P installed in about an hour. I was really taking my time! Everything went in as per Marks directions pretty easily. Seems to work exactly as specified.

Thing to remember: The F2P will not work on the K1600GTL without the engine running. Seems like I remember reading that the voltage is not high enough with the ignition off. Glad I remembered because when I went to test it with the lights on, it would not work. Fired it up and the door closed... Maybe hooking up to a different power source ( directly to the battery with relay to light) might work, but in my case not necessary.

Thanks again Mark for the great pictures and explanation.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
DanDiver is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 1:57 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
DanDiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Posts: 4,856
Re: K1600 Halls of Wisdom - NEEDED / Requested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontLT
Dano ... in deciding to purchase a first-generation product, you have (perhaps inadvertently) become an early adopter/beta tester. That brings with it pluses and minuses. On the plus side, you are the proud owner of the latest and greatest.

You are already aware of the minus side.

Given the sales success these new sixes seem to be enjoying, it won't be long before their nuances are well documented. Until then it will be a challenge.

Good luck!

During my career with Motorola, we used to call that putting the customer on the bleeding edge!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
DanDiver is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 3:17 pm
Senior Member
 
Tom1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Byron, MN, USA
Posts: 551
Re: K1600 Halls of Wisdom - NEEDED / Requested!

I just call you a Pioneer...


It is because Pioneers always had arrows in their backs.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
Tom1200 is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 5:35 pm
Member
 
sfoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wilmington, DE, USA
Posts: 89
Re: K1600 Halls of Wisdom - NEEDED / Requested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
During my career with Motorola, we used to call that putting the customer on the bleeding edge!
Microsoft just calls them customers


Funny you would mention having to have the engine running. Stressed over that one for a day, before that got sorted out.

Taking bike #2 in for the 600 mile service. Off to Tampa (actually Crystal Beach) on Thursday.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
2012 K1600GTL Silver

IBA # 42277
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sfoster is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 5:56 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
DanDiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Posts: 4,856
Re: K1600 Halls of Wisdom - NEEDED / Requested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster
Microsoft just calls them customers


Funny you would mention having to have the engine running. Stressed over that one for a day, before that got sorted out.

Taking bike #2 in for the 600 mile service. Off to Tampa (actually Crystal Beach) on Thursday.
Who ever figured that out probably saved me hours and I owe tham at least several good drinks. Probably Mark!

By the way, I used to live close to Crystal Beach in Palm Harbor for 15 years. Pretty spot and close to Tarpon Springs / great Greek food!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
DanDiver is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 7:23 pm
Senior Member
 
iride4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Loveland, CO, United States
Posts: 529
Re: K1600 Halls of Wisdom - NEEDED / Requested!

Dan I use the red wire going to the trunk as a relay control wire. It stays on for about 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off. Do Not use it for anything other than a control wire.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR
iride4u is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Senior Member
 
Raaze12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Broadview Heights, OH, USA
Posts: 193
Re: K1600 Halls of Wisdom - NEEDED / Requested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Got the F2P installed in about an hour. I was really taking my time! Everything went in as per Marks directions pretty easily. Seems to work exactly as specified.

Thing to remember: The F2P will not work on the K1600GTL without the engine running. Seems like I remember reading that the voltage is not high enough with the ignition off. Glad I remembered because when I went to test it with the lights on, it would not work. Fired it up and the door closed... Maybe hooking up to a different power source ( directly to the battery with relay to light) might work, but in my case not necessary.

Thanks again Mark for the great pictures and explanation.
I ordered my F2P today Dan - how exactly did you tap into the factory wiring?

'12 K1600GTL - Mineral Silver
Raaze12 is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 1:06 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
DanDiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Posts: 4,856
Re: K1600 Halls of Wisdom - NEEDED / Requested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaze12
I ordered my F2P today Dan - how exactly did you tap into the factory wiring?

It is all explained here with pictures. The high beam light, right side has two white wires. Tap into either one and the brown wire which is the ground. I really took my time and every thing that needed to be taken off to get to the wires was explained in detail.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw...oor-opener.html
__________________
Ute's Chauffeur

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
DanDiver is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 2:14 pm
Senior Member
 
Raaze12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Broadview Heights, OH, USA
Posts: 193
Re: K1600 Halls of Wisdom - NEEDED / Requested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
It is all explained here with pictures. The high beam light, right side has two white wires. Tap into either one and the brown wire which is the ground. I really took my time and every thing that needed to be taken off to get to the wires was explained in detail.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw...oor-opener.html
__________________
Ute's Chauffeur
I get all that, I'm asking how exactly did you tie into the factory wires (what method did you use, solder, wire-taps, etc.).

'12 K1600GTL - Mineral Silver
Raaze12 is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 2:50 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
DanDiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Posts: 4,856
Re: K1600 Halls of Wisdom - NEEDED / Requested!

I'm sorry... The actual kit comes with a new type of wire splice called "Posi-Tap" that I used. Very quick and simple. I stripped back the black tape that was wrapped around all 6 wires and then tapped into the top white wire and the brown on the bottom.

Google Posi-Tap for pictures and diagrams: Two Posi-Taps came with the Garage Door Opener. You can also call me on my cell phone (813 267 8181) during the install. You will be amazed at how simple it really is, once you get started. The F2P comes with very good instructions.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
DanDiver is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 3:05 pm
Senior Member
 
Raaze12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Broadview Heights, OH, USA
Posts: 193
Re: K1600 Halls of Wisdom - NEEDED / Requested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I'm sorry... The actual kit comes with a new type of wire splice called "Posi-Tap" that I used. Very quick and simple. I stripped back the black tape that was wrapped around all 6 wires and then tapped into the top white wire and the brown on the bottom.

Google Posi-Tap for pictures and diagrams: Two Posi-Taps came with the Garage Door Opener. You can also call me on my cell phone (813 267 8181) during the install. You will be amazed at how simple it really is, once you get started. The F2P comes with very good instructions.
Thanks Dan - Mark actually stripped off some insulation and soldered the F2P leads to the stripped areas in his install. I'm not crazy about that, 'cuz I can see me cutting the factory wires when I'm trying to strip the insulation! I'm probably going to use the Posi-Taps that come in the kit.

'12 K1600GTL - Mineral Silver
Raaze12 is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 3:36 pm
Senior Member
 
mneblett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA, USA
Posts: 5,406
Re: K1600 Halls of Wisdom - NEEDED / Requested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaze12
I'm not crazy about that, 'cuz I can see me cutting the factory wires when I'm trying to strip the insulation! I'm probably going to use the Posi-Taps that come in the kit.
Like so many things in life, the tenderness of your touch is key

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
mneblett is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 3:39 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
DanDiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Posts: 4,856
Re: K1600 Halls of Wisdom - NEEDED / Requested!

There is plenty of room behind the speaker compartment. I put mine about an inch below the plug and staggered them. I was amazed at how easy it was to dissemble the area of the bike that you need remove to get to the wires. Each piece comes out very easily and there is actually room to work.

Hardest part was finding a place for the module and then attaching it. I just used stick on Velcro in the same area that Mark chose.

Remember to turn on you bike to test. The engine must be running.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
DanDiver is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 4:21 pm
Senior Member
 
Raaze12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Broadview Heights, OH, USA
Posts: 193
Re: K1600 Halls of Wisdom - NEEDED / Requested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
Like so many things in life, the tenderness of your touch is key
I think it was Clint Eastwood who said "A man has got to know his limitations", and that describes me in this case.

I can't do bodywork or mud and sand drywall, I lack the finesse gene required for such fine detail work. That said, there's a bunch of crap I can do, so I guess in the end it all balances out!

'12 K1600GTL - Mineral Silver
Raaze12 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Technical Hall of Wisdom (HOW) ATT: Newbies KIC K1200LT 3 Jan 12th, 2008 8:51 pm
Nav II install question- wisdom needed.. Chrmer3 K1200LT 0 May 21st, 2007 9:50 am
thanks to the halls of wisdom lenny K1200LT 2 Jan 11th, 2006 3:37 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome