Use the ALARM sound for the horn? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Aug 10th, 2011, 7:22 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Use the ALARM sound for the horn?

Just thinking that it might be interesting to use the sound that is used for the alarm and wire it to the horn? That would be loud...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Aug 10th, 2011, 8:53 am

Re: Use the ALARM sound for the horn?

You're right Dan, it would be loud. I think there are 2 problems with this idea.

1.) The only sound more universally ignored than a vehicle horn is a car alarm. Think about it.

2.) We are conditioned to recognize certain sounds for what they are. Train horns are a good example. When you hear one you know what it represents and you start looking for the train. Sirens, fire alarms in buildings, etc. same thing. I would be afraid that sounding the alarm as the horn would just confuse others and be pretty much ignored.

Get the Stebel Nautilus compact and you'll be in business.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 3 Old Aug 10th, 2011, 9:40 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Use the ALARM sound for the horn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
You're right Dan, it would be loud. I think there are 2 problems with this idea.

1.) The only sound more universally ignored than a vehicle horn is a car alarm. Think about it.

2.) We are conditioned to recognize certain sounds for what they are. Train horns are a good example. When you hear one you know what it represents and you start looking for the train. Sirens, fire alarms in buildings, etc. same thing. I would be afraid that sounding the alarm as the horn would just confuse others and be pretty much ignored.

Get the Stebel Nautilus compact and you'll be in business.

Loren
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
good incite!

I've got the Stebel Nautilus ready to be installed as soon as my Flash to Pass garage door opener arrives for the garage door. Thought I'd do both at the same time. Probably this weekend. Just got to thinking about the alarm from another's question.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in