Why Buy This Bike? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 84 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 4:13 pm Thread Starter

Why Buy This Bike?

Do you read the other BMW forums and look at the final drive failures?

The 1600's have the same drive and tons more horsepower!

You will buy a bigger more expensive final drive failure.

FACT- no BMW owner that I have ever ridden with that has a final drive has not experienced a final drive failure.

I've had two final drive failures on a bike that just hit 40k. A BMW is good for nothing more than milk runs, do not depend on BMW if you want a worry free motorcycle vacation guaranteed.

I ride to destress no to get stressed, I will never buy another BMW!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 4:28 pm

Re: Why Buy This Bike?

While at this present moment I subscribe to most of your thinking, I don't understand the purpose of your post. The people buying these are in love, and I'm happy for them. I might razz them a bit, but that's all in good fun. Your post doesn't seem fun, unless I'm reading too much into it. I hope so.

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • 2010 Kawasaki Concours14
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
  • 2005 Harley V-Rod Chrome Edition
  • 2003 Harley V-Rod Anniversary Edition
post #3 of 84 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 4:39 pm Thread Starter

I hear you... you may get lucky and you may not with your bike. I was Mr Bliss too but my BMW karma is gone, they have taken one too many motorcycle ride days from me. As consumers we need to VOTE WITH OUR FEET it is the only power we have. BMW has gone on for years making believe there is no problem with the final drive system they build, I know better. When the time is right for you just remember to vote with your feet!

post #4 of 84 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 4:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandmelanie
Do you read the other BMW forums and look at the final drive failures?

The 1600's have the same drive and tons more horsepower!

You will buy a bigger more expensive final drive failure.

FACT- no BMW owner that I have ever ridden with that has a final drive has not experienced a final drive failure.

I've had two final drive failures on a bike that just hit 40k. A BMW is good for nothing more than milk runs, do not depend on BMW if you want a worry free motorcycle vacation guaranteed.

I ride to destress no to get stressed, I will never buy another BMW!

Sounds like YOU are unhappy and are looking for company..... Most of the figures that I have seen say the failure rate is around 4%. Not high enough in my opinion to get that upset about, unless you are part of that 4%.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 84 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 4:53 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Have you even looked at the new 1600's THEY DON"T HAVE THE SAME FINAL DRIVES.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 84 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 6:14 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

He just wants to Piss & Moan because he had his finial drive fixed the first time by someone that apparently had no idea how to do it. Now it has happened again so he takes it back to the same place to get the same outcome as before. PLEASE sell, trade ,dump it in a ditch and burn it (your words) & get the hell out of here. Go buy a wing, get some depends & bottle of geritol & join the wing forum. Over there you can read about ALL the flaws it has then Piss & Moan when they happen to you.
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.
BTW my 2000 K1200LT had 70K on the FD when I sold it for the K1600GTL & now has almost 80K with the VERY HAPPY new owner.

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 84 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 6:17 pm Thread Starter

Dan,

I'd really like to know where this 4% number comes from. I'm am dead straight when I tell you I have not ridden with a BMW owner who has 1999 or newer BMW with a shaft drive system that has not had a final drive failure. I'm taking about dozens of guys I have ridden with for many a mile.

I live in Northern California, all my rides have lots of turns, I have logged hundreds of trips into the Sierra Mountains just like the other BMW owners I know. Maybe if you live in FL or most of TX where you go straight and only take lefts and rights at the stops the drive works for you. Where I live the drives fail. BMW needs to fix the problem and not pass the cost of engineering failure onto consumers. I've earned my right to rag on BMW, I paid for the bike with cash and I paid to replace the final drive twice at a BMW Dealer.

I don't post to talk about how nice the heated grips are on a cold day.

I don't love the bike I ride it.
post #8 of 84 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 6:25 pm Thread Starter

Hey Katnapinn;

1st failure 400 miles from home in Big Foot country CA, towed to the closest BWM dealer 150 miles further away in Oregon.

2nd time in the foothills of the Sierra mountains towed to the closest BMW dealer 100 miles back closer to where I live.

I don't ride to go buy milk for MaMa or have a beer down the road and I don't ride to save gas money and I don't ride to keep BMW in business.
post #9 of 84 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 6:43 pm

This is my fourth BMW since 1995. Ive got over 200,000 on them with no final drive failure. I havent ridden with anyone who has had one.

Ive read the same 4% figure on several forums.

Bud
post #10 of 84 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 6:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandmelanie
I'd really like to know where this 4% number comes from.
I must admit, I ask the same question. Of all of the guys I know that rides or has ridden a BMW (most from this forum) almost EVERY ONE OF THEM has had a failure. That "4% figure" was collected and/or arrived at a long time ago on this very forum, and I believe it is WAY out-of-date. By now, that figure is far into double-digits ... 10-20%, if not higher.

Tom, I suggest you do what I did. Sell the BMW and buy another brand. I'm currently on a 2010 Kaw Concours14, and love it. But if the 1600 proves to have the final drive issue solved, I may eventually be a BMW rider once again in a year or two.

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
post #11 of 84 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 9:00 pm

I think he wishes he had a GTL/Gt and doesn't have one. Kinda like making up all the things he didn't like about the girl after she dumped him.
Ken
post #12 of 84 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 9:04 pm

Well I guess I'll have to stir the pot, my 03 LT has 102,000 miles and I have ridden every mile, and it still has the original final drive. Just changed the drive oil 1500 mile ago and the oil that came out still looked brand new, also the drain plug was spotless. I'm and old race guy and I can tell ya these aren't easy miles either. This has been a great machine and without a thought the next new bike for me, will certainly be a new BMW!

Clayton
2003 K1200LTE 128k miles and counting
1999 GL1500A
2009 R1200GSA
post #13 of 84 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 9:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

It's all anecdotal information so I can only add that I do not know of anyone personally, except some on this forum, who have had to change out a final drive in the almost 10 years that I owned my K1200LT. I only put 50,000 miles on her, but they were trouble free and I did pick up lots of milk!

4% was a figure I heard on this forum, but it's never been officially validated. I have also spoken to several dealers and maybe they lied, but their figure is a lot lower.

Bottom line is that no one has to buy a motorcycle, it is generally an optional vehicle and if you are that unhappy, go where you will be happy. Life is way too short to be bitching and moaning about a hobby..

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #14 of 84 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 9:41 pm

Well, between my 96 R1100RT 50k miles, my 99 ltc with 70k miles, and my 02 ltc with almost 80k miles, all of these above having the "same final drive" I had 0 failures, yes, 0. that leaves me in the 100% satisfied with final drive category.

So you might get your facts strait, the final drive on all those with failures was on the rt side of the bike, not the left. That would mean the 1600 GT/GTL is obviously a new design.

Quite frankly, the fact you wont buy a new bmw is good for alot more people than the one or two you will sway away. come to think of it.... why are you riding one now? one more note.... my tires wear all the way accross, i do scrape my footpegs on all of the bikes i have. My new GTL is awesome.

I have to say there is a Honda in your future, enjoy it, cuz we will be riding the kahuna's out of our gt/gtl's and smiling all the way.

seriously.............. buy a ural, they have two wheel drive.

Richard
2012 K1600Gtl Royal Blue #578 I will ride it like I stole it, wooo hoooo
2002 BMW K1200LTC - SOLD Rode it like i stole it.....

2003 Harley-Davison fltri Road Glide Bone Stock, 40k miles, trouble free
1978 Honda CB650-4 future sidecar rig
1972 BSA A65 Thunderbolt Just Plain cool!
BMW MOA 88880 Lifetime Member
BMW TCD
AMA Member
post #15 of 84 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 9:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
He just wants to Piss & Moan because he had his finial drive fixed the first time by someone that apparently had no idea how to do it. Now it has happened again so he takes it back to the same place to get the same outcome as before. PLEASE sell, trade ,dump it in a ditch and burn it (your words) & get the hell out of here. Go buy a wing, get some depends & bottle of geritol & join the wing forum. Over there you can read about ALL the flaws it has then Piss & Moan when they happen to you.
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.
BTW my 2000 K1200LT had 70K on the FD when I sold it for the K1600GTL & now has almost 80K with the VERY HAPPY new owner.
I'm with you on this one. Join another forum. And choke on those sour grapes.
post #16 of 84 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 10:46 pm

Sorry for your problems Tom. You seem frustrated and your reaction (trying to dissuade buyers of a bike you don't even own) seems a bit silly.

Second BMW; never had a final drive failure.
post #17 of 84 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 12:24 am

I sold my LT a couple of years ago because of back problems. It was my 6th BMW without a final drive failure (Over 100,000 miles) . The mileage was done in the UK and Europe where we tend to ride harder and faster than most (with the exception of Ken Meese). I bought a Honda NT700 as it was lighter and more manageable for my back. The finish is dreadful, it looks like a ten year old bike, (faded panels and rust on the handlebars) although it's just over two years old. The ride quality isn't a patch on the BMW's. The fuel injection system has been playing up for months making it almost unrideable. Right now I'd rather have a BMW , even with a final drive failure.

post #18 of 84 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 12:31 am

Tom,

You've whacked the hornets nest and now you can go back to your Gold Wing or Connie forum and yuck it up about how you really threw it at us. HA HA HA HA!!!

Now, for some real, unadulterated personal facts. I have now owned 4 BMWs, ALL shaft drive.

#1 is a 02 R1150RT with 108,100 miles on the odometer. Those are actual miles, not a fictitious number. I have the ORIGINAL final drive in it and have only had to lube the clutch splines at 68,000, replace the HES at 96,000 and replace a fuel pump at 102,000. I just completed a ride from Knoxville, TN to Yuma, AZ and back in April. The bike runs just as good as it did the day I bought it.

#2 is a 00 K1200LT and I just traded it for my 1600GTL two weeks ago. Emil had 94,837 on him when I dismounted for the last time at the dealer. I rode it in with the ORIGINAL clutch and the ORIGINAL final drive. Also, I NEVER had to do anything to the bike other than replace a broken shift linkage; and that I was still able to ride it home but only in third gear. The bike NEVER stranded me in nearly 95,000 miles. I do know that others have had final drive failures, and I make no light of their misfortune. I can't tell you why mine didn't fail, even traveling heavily loaded with the spouse and later even pulling a trailer with it. Once I made the decision to pull the trailer I did change the final drive fluid every 6K along with the engine oil.

#3 is a 10 K1300GT. I bought it a year ago July and rode it 10,110 miles before trading it in also for the GTL. Of course, with only 10K on the clock the bike never gave me any trouble whatsoever.

#4 is a 12 K1600GTL. With only 2K on it in 10 riding days I'm still getting used to it but no issues. Before you start flaming the bike, perhaps you should do a little research on it first. You won't read any of this on your Gold Wing site, but the final drive is SIGNIFICANTLY heavier and more robust. Does that mean it won't fail? Not at all. But, for the record we could go on about the frame cracking on your Gold Wing, the heat issues and piss poor rear brakes on the Connie 14, the high speed instability on the ST1300, and on and on. Truth is, every bike has it's strenghts and weaknesses. Every bike!! I, and thousands more just like me, are living proof that the BMW motorcycle is a very robust, long distance machine. I dare say, it is the most comfortable, best performing, best handling and capable of the longest distance in a day, motorcycle out there.

So, I'm sorry you don't like your bike, and that's assuming you even do own a BMW, (a big assumption at that). Sell it, take the money and buy yourself a cracked frame GW or get a Connie or FJR nut roaster and go have yourself a ball. I'll be sure to wave at you as I pass you by. Hell, I might even use all four fingers.

Greg

"Loud lives save pipes"

00 K1200LT (Emil) 94,840 trouble free miles. Gone, but not forgotten
02 R1150RT (Artie) 109,000 miles. Favorite bike. With me to the end.
10 K1300GT (The Phantom) 10,110 miles. Like flying a T-38 on 2 wheels. Gone.
12 K1600GTL (Johnny 5) 3,500. A great compromise between the LT and GT

A gaggle of Japanese bikes, then I woke up.
post #19 of 84 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 5:50 am

Well that's it. I waited seven months for the perfect motorcycle, and now I find out that Tom doesn't like it. So sad guess I'll have to sell it. Any one want to but a GTL. I just can't take the chance on being seen on a bike that could break down and Tom doesn't like. I mean really My old Ultra Classic didn't like Canadian gas and started stalling out. I could have fixed her, but sold her cause she could have really broken down. My truck could break down, should probably sell it. Hell my house could burn down, should probably sell it. Heck come to think of it I could break down too, should probably give up the things that bring me joy, and join the monastary. I don't know much about the history of BMW final drives, and I certainly couldn't fix one on the side of the road, but I do generally try to take care of the things I love, and if they break, well things happen, you fix them and life goes on. I realize it's possible I could have a final drive failure on this bike, but it's also possible I'll ride it for years w proper care and see places I've never been, meet wonderful people, and if I'm lucky get lost and found a few dozen times. I appreciate your concern, but think I'll roll these dice as I waited to long for this bike to come along, and there are to many roads unseen for me to give it up because there might a problem somewhere down some road I have yet to discover. Come to think of It I'll keep the truck and house too.
post #20 of 84 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 9:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwrkr
Well that's it... Heck come to think of it I could break down too, should probably give up the things that bring me joy, and join the monastary... Come to think of It I'll keep the truck and house too.
Hey Wdwrkr, does this mean you're not going to the monastary? Cause I'm on the waiting list and looks like I might have just moved up one number? They are going to let me bring the GTL though so we can meditate the rest of our lives on its shortcomings and repent endlessly on why we soured our mortal souls with such a piece of crap. Did I mention the monastary was sponsored by Honda?

Greg

"Loud lives save pipes"

post #21 of 84 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 10:13 am

Everyone has an opinion and associated demons. Some apparently really fret over the rear drive failures but what amazes me is how free people are in sharing their fears, especially when it comes to motorcycling.

This isn't really related to the GT/GTL but it is intended to illustrate a point; the top things told to me by others when they see I ride (often):

* Wow, you ride a motorcycle? What do you do if it falls over?
* I would like to ride one of these but my great uncle on my wife's cousin's nephew's side died on one when he rode off a cliff in Colorado in 1910 so they are too dangerous for me.
* What do you do when it rains?
* Think of your kids, you shouldn't he riding that thing!
* Motorcycles scare me because they could just slide out and fall at any time...
* HD related: I never rode a motorcycle because I see them shake so much at traffic lights.
* Cover your ears hunny, these things are always way too loud when they start up.

After about 200k miles of riding I have fallen over, gone down several times for various reasons, broken down, run out of gas, rode in the rain, heat, cold, sleet, snow, etc. I have never had a rear drive failure yet but the fear of the unknown has not stopped me yet.

But my point to all this is that it has stopped millions of other folks from riding. Be kind to them as they have unfortunately succumbed to their demons!

regards,
Dan

2006 K1200GT - the Jagdpanther has arrived as of 5-Aug-2011
1999 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic

Used to have:
2005 R1200GS
1994 K1100LT
1988 K75s
post #22 of 84 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 10:38 am

I just want to say how much I enjoyed this thread. Great writing guys, thanks.

For the record: I'm on my second LT (2000 and 2003). Over 80,000 miles total, no HD failure on either bike.

BMW Rocks in my book.

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

2003 K1200LT (Black/Yellow) BigBee
Unigo Trailer (Black/Yellow) Stinger
post #23 of 84 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 12:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
Sell the BMW and buy another brand. I'm currently on a 2010 Kaw Concours14, and love it.

Joe,

Be careful on your "high horse."

My riding partner's new Concours had TWO rear-end failures, back to back.

He traded it.
post #24 of 84 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 12:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardenross
Joe,

Be careful on your "high horse."

My riding partner's new Concours had TWO rear-end failures, back to back.

He traded it.
I'm not on a high horse. My GT failed, I sold it and moved on. Should my Concours fail, I'll sell it and move on to yet another brand. Frankly, I don't understand where all of this brand loyalty comes from.

Odd though ... I have yet to read one single thread about a rear-end failure on the Connie site. I'm not saying they don't happen, just stating a fact.

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
post #25 of 84 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 1:37 pm

The 4% was fact -- spoken by a BMW regional rep at one of the early CCR events. It included both bearing failures and seal failures without associated bearing failure.

Is it out of date? Certaintly.

Is it still of value? I believe it is, as in the later years the frequency of reported LT FD failures *substantially* decreased. The later wedge K's also had failures, but at a far lower rate than the LT. Given the new GTL builds on the wedge K design and is beefier, I expect the frequency of failures to go down even farther.

Face it -- EVERY single shaft FD has had failures, Honda, Moto Guzzi, Yamaha, Kawasaki, BMW airheads (which are so fondly recalled now as being bullet-proof), etc.

So, Tom: Stuff it.

The BMW drives are NOT all a flaming disaster waiting to blow up on each and every bike. Yeah, you're pissed. We get it. But resorting to multiple threads (this is at least the second on this forum) to try to claim that they're ALL crap and going to blow up --ESPECIALLY an entirely new design (i) with which you have zero experience, (ii) which has (as far as I've heard, and I monitor most K16 forums) zero failures, and (iii) we have every reason to believe won't be having any more than the typical statistically-low levels of failures (one the order of the frequency of GoldWing FD failures) is stunningly childish.

BTW -- the "every BMW rider I know has experienced a FD failure" is bs -- that just tells me either you don't know many BMW riders or you feel the need to over-characterize the problem to make your point. A far more telling (and valid) assessement would be a survey of the ~7K riders at the BMW National Rally -- I'd have wagered a bunch on the fact that the percentage of *actual* first-hand FD failure experience would still have been in the low single digits.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #26 of 84 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 1:56 pm
Super Moderator

Tomand . . . .,

Guess I should write to the administrators and have them open up a new form and call it "Whiners" this
will be a place for those who need to rant. I mean a place where people can spew all the anger, hurt
and frustration their bike has caused them. A place where maybe they can seek others who need
to spout off the injustices of "life" and how they do not deserve what has happened to them. A place
where people who buy used goods that fail to meet their expectations can shout out. Hey even a
place where people buy new goods that fail to meet their expectations can really express their
anger. A sanctuary for the disgruntled. I mean a place were we can start a thread based on
negativity, raw emotion and injustice that will never die. I am sure it will attract many a rider and
those that like to listen in . . .

Truly if any vehicle I owned failed as much as yours and with your attitude I would dump the bike
and "be gone" or on the other hand you could support me in creating the Whiners Forum!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #27 of 84 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 2:10 pm

OK, I'm not trying to break any balls here, but I have experienced an FD failure.
It occurred on my '06 RT at 88,400 miles.

Of course I had to pay the full replacement cost myself, about $2100.
But I have to say, this was the first time I ever had to put a dime into this bike.

If you want to read about other FD failures, just do a quick search here and you will find plenty.

But if the new FD lasts me another 88K miles, I think I'll be satisfied.
Every mechanical system fails sooner or later, and BMW's are no exception.

What I would like to see is for BMW to overbuild their FD's and extend the warranty's on them to something like 100,000 miles.
post #28 of 84 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 2:29 pm

More kool-aid being drunk here than at Jonestown.

How useful and interesting would this forum be if everyone held hands, sang Kumbya and odes to the Mothership? Might make the true-believers feel better about their purchase, but could create a false reality (unless you accept the idea that "ignorance is bliss". ) If you have had nothing but positive experiences with your bike, consider yourself lucky, because there is nothing that will ruin a day, week or month more than being stranded, having the bike tied up in the shop or paying exorbitant repair bills for a design defect.

Some owners (myself included) have had serious problems with their Beemers and have the right, and some feel an obligation, to point out what happens when things go bad. We are living in the age of social media and when a company screws up a product and provides poor customer service, it should expect that information to be spread. And believe it or not, the pressure of potential negative publicity should lead to better products and better customer service.

So thank those who have the guts to face ridicule from the true-believers -- they are the check to keep BMW corporate in balance. And if you really do not want to hear it, there is always the delete button.
post #29 of 84 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 3:13 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Frankly, I don't understand where all of this brand loyalty comes from.
The only way I'll ever be brand loyal is when they start sending me my loyalty checks.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #30 of 84 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 4:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by remphoto
Some owners (myself included) have had serious problems with their Beemers and have the right, and some feel an obligation, to point out what happens when things go bad. We are living in the age of social media and when a company screws up a product and provides poor customer service, it should expect that information to be spread. And believe it or not, the pressure of potential negative publicity should lead to better products and better customer service.
I agree but the original poster Not only posted a NEW thread about a K1200LT in this (K1600GT/GTL) Forum along with a NEW thread in the K1200LT forum but he went back & dug up 4 or 5 OLD (2 to 3 years old) threads to post the very same crap in ALL of Them. He stated that ALL BMW are a piece of crap & ALL his riding buddies have had FD failures. A single Thread voicing his concerns in the proper forum would have be met with a much more Sympathetic out look. Instead he chose to bitch & moan in EVERY thread he could find or start. I for one hope he does sell his POS BMW & goes away.

Stevie Shreeve
post #31 of 84 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 4:34 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by onmyrt
What I would like to see is for BMW to overbuild their FD's and extend the warranty's on them to something like 100,000 miles.
I believe they did over build these final drives. It is a very robust design. Unfortunately they also over shimmed them during assembly which has led to the many pre-2003 failures. If you have a pre 2003 bike you WILL have a final drive failure as the odds are against you. But you reduce those odds significantly by doing a ($100.00 in parts) pre-emptive rebuild with proper shimming.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 114 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #32 of 84 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 6:36 pm

Bought mine with 92,000 km., as far as I know it was the original FD. Now has 144,000 km and still good to go. But, unfortunately, like all things mechanical, it will fail (sometime) and I will also die sometime. In the meantime, I'd better get out and ride some more so I can find out just how many km I can enjoy on mine. See you on the road.

Ross
K1200LT (99)
post #33 of 84 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 9:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by remphoto
More kool-aid being drunk here than at Jonestown.

How useful and interesting would this forum be if everyone held hands, sang Kumbya and odes to the Mothership? Might make the true-believers feel better about their purchase...

...So thank those who have the guts to face ridicule from the true-believers --)
Well, now you've REALLY gone and thrown a stone that I'll never be able to dodge. You've called me a disparaging name because I dare to tell others that BMW motorcycles have been the best motorcycles I've ever owned. And, furthermore, I don't care to hear the bleating and histrionics of some lame-brain who can't come to grips with the fact that somethings mechanical break. My RT left me stranded twice. I had it towed to my house once, where I fixed it, and once to a dealer because I didn't have time to do the repair before a two week, 4500 mile trip just a few days later. I paid the dealer handsomely for the repair, and hopped on the RT and rode my trip. Not once, ONCE!, did I dwell on the fact that the bike had just quit on me only days before. I rode my ride, had a hell of a good time and rode home. It has over 108,000 miles on it now and I'd ride it again cross country tomorrow if need be. The next time it breaks, I'll fix it, or have it fixed, and carry on. As I have said previously, I make no light of others who have suffered failures of their final drive or any other component. I understand that there are those who do break and I have been among them. Failures and being stranded is a gigantic pain in the arse without argument.

I am a (gasp of horror please) "true-believer" because I have owned a plethora of bikes before this. Every one of them, has suffered a mechanical failure of some sort or another. Every one! I tend to keep my bikes for a long period of time and put a lot of miles on them so I have learned to expect that. Some bikes failed at very early mileage. Like an 83 Honda that the starter relay took a dump with only about 3 or 4 thousand miles. That left me in the flatlands of the Mississippi River delta with no hill to roll it down. So every time I needed to start it I had to enlist the help of some "pushers". But yet, somehow, I managed to go forward and ride the bike for a few more years. I am a "true-believer" because after owning and riding so many different bikes from the land of the rising sun, I stumbled upon a BMW dealer who let me test drive a brand new BMW. This was after I had spent a couple hours at the Honda dealer just down the road negotiating a price for a new ST1100. We agreed on the price and when I asked for a test drive, the salesman told me that after I paid for the bike, I could test drive it all I wanted. Long story short, I walked away from Honda and found BMW. After my test drive on the Beemer, I found that I had been denying myself the full luxury a motorcycle could afford. No longer did my hands and feet go numb after 45 minutes in the saddle, no longer did I stop for fuel and have to sit while the numbness left my legs before I could get off the bike. No longer did I have to keep praying for the fuel low light to come on so I could justify getting off the bike at 150 miles. I am a TB because I have good reason to be. For ME, the BMW is the best motorcycle for ME. I like the engineering, I like the ride, I like the personality my bikes have and I like having a bike that will let me ride 700-800 miles per day, get off and be ready, nay, eager, to get on it the next morning and do it all over again. My BMWs have taken me and my wife places we'd have never ventured before on the Asian bikes. Not that they weren't reliable, but they just didn't have the quality that encouraged us to ride.

Ok, I've taken the first step in my recovery. I've admitted publicly that I am fond of a BMW motorcycle. I admit that even after adverse conditions I am still willing to trust my Bavarian motorcycle to get me to my next destination. So here I sit....flame away! Grape is my favorite, but cherry is my other favorite.

Greg

"Loud lives save pipes"

post #34 of 84 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 9:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushin9s
Well, now you've REALLY gone and thrown a stone that I'll never be able to dodge. * Snip
Greg,
Let it go.

The accusations of being BMW fanboys are being posted on a BMW fan site. The post would not get too far on a Harley site now would it? All the non-BMW riders are likely somewhere else I would imagine.

I know they feel let down by the bike(s) and company and are upset. But it is up to us how we react to what they post.

Equal time on a non-BMW site like advrider would be more appropriate but guess what? R1200GS is a favorite over there and, although they post about RD failures, there is not much hate there either. I still see GS's roaming the globe thousands of miles from any BMW dealer; arctic crossings, jungle trails, desert blasting; it is obvious those riders are much move likely to take their life in their hands with an RD failure than us riding to the corner store. Can you imagine being stranded in the Sahara? The thought doesn't stop them either. My point is that if a non-BMW lover picks the GS above all other bikes and risks their life to its mechanical abilities then there is nothing wrong with what you are doing, thinking, professing.

It is obvious to me that the OP wants a reaction. He is virtually walking into a biker bar and yelling something about our mothers...

It aint worth it; let it go.

regards,
Dan

2006 K1200GT - the Jagdpanther has arrived as of 5-Aug-2011
1999 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic

Used to have:
2005 R1200GS
1994 K1100LT
1988 K75s
post #35 of 84 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 10:14 pm

Quote:
I'm not on a high horse. My GT failed, I sold it and moved on.
What does "moved on" mean.
post #36 of 84 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 12:11 am

Well, at least this guy didn't threaten to kick all of our a$$es, like that guy about a week ago.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #37 of 84 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 5:30 am

The OP asked a simple question "Why Buy This Bike"

I'll answer it, because the the GT is the best sport touring bike and the GTL is the best touring bike, today.

Besides, CW said you should sell a kidney to get one
post #38 of 84 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 9:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdane
What does "moved on" mean.

post #39 of 84 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 11:39 am

If you guys really want to say something to TomandMelanie about the post I would just say nothing and in a few hours it will filter to the bottom of the list and never be seen again. Let him have his option and we can have ours. I would say that we need to just learn to ignore some of these types of posts and let them die.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #40 of 84 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 11:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1200
I would say that we need to just learn to ignore some of these types of posts and let them die.
YOU ARE A CRUEL MAN THERE TOM!

After all, if we don't have these types of threads, we would never hear from Joe!

post #41 of 84 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 12:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I'm not on a high horse. My GT failed, I sold it and moved on. Should my Concours fail, I'll sell it and move on to yet another brand. Frankly, I don't understand where all of this brand loyalty comes from.

Odd though ... I have yet to read one single thread about a rear-end failure on the Connie site. I'm not saying they don't happen, just stating a fact.
Loved my '86' Connie, ran like a scalded cat and never gave me any trouble. Wife was never comfy on the back so hence the 2001 LT. Only got 52k miles on her so she could have problems in store but so far so good, plus I've never ridden a more comfortable bike. The GTL? Well I'll be watching the new owners and the after market developments to see if trailer towing and decent armrests are forthcoming. But I don't see the value of trashing the new bike. Let's see what happens. Sorry for those of you who have had a bad experience. Maybe a PM to Curtis "CharlieVT" or John "JZeiler" would have saved the second fail & beyond. I just don't see spewing poison about a new ride that has no track record good or bad at this point. I'll reserve judgment until I see how they perform over the next couple of years.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #42 of 84 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 12:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1200
If you guys really want to say something to TomandMelanie about the post I would just say nothing and in a few hours it will filter to the bottom of the list and never be seen again. Let him have his option and we can have ours. I would say that we need to just learn to ignore some of these types of posts and let them die.
+1

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #43 of 84 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 1:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob
The GTL? Well I'll be watching the new owners and the after market developments to see if trailer towing and decent armrests are forthcoming.
Bushtec is rumored to have just finished a slick hitch design, and I believe someone in the Pac NW has also (Dauntless? other?).

BMW promises OE armrests by the end of the year (read: maybe sometime next year).

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #44 of 84 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 3:57 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I believe they did over build these final drives. It is a very robust design. Unfortunately they also over shimmed them during assembly which has led to the many pre-2003 failures. If you have a pre 2003 bike you WILL have a final drive failure as the odds are against you. But you reduce those odds significantly by doing a ($100.00 in parts) pre-emptive rebuild with proper shimming.
Exactly. And anyone who has spent any time here knows that, or if they come in with a reasonable attitude then they get shown that, and suggested where to get this simple yet effective procedure done.

Y'all know how many FD failures I've had, and how many times I've been stranded, so the original poster does have a point. But attitude is everything, and he's chosen to channel his justifiable frustration into unjustifiable hostility at us for being so "deluded".

Not cool, and not the way to garner friends who might actually be able to help him regain the confidence in a bike that he once loved.

So now he'll either calm down and apologize, or storm off in a huff and go trouble some other board. Either way, we'll still be here, putting the miles on our P.O.S. German time bombs, and helping each other out when needed . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #45 of 84 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 3:59 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushin9s
Grape is my favorite, but cherry is my other favorite.
You could always try them deep fried.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #46 of 84 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 4:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
. Either way, we'll still be here, putting the miles on our P.O.S. German time bombs, and helping each other out when needed . . .
Well said

Stevie Shreeve
post #47 of 84 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 4:39 pm

Thumbs up Re: Why Buy This Bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Either way, we'll still be here, putting the miles on our P.O.S. German time bombs, and helping each other out when needed . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Well said
And who am I to argue with either of you?

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
post #48 of 84 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 8:27 pm

Quote:
And who am I to argue with either of you?
Especially since you've already moved on.
post #49 of 84 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 9:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdane
Especially since you've already moved on.
I've "moved on" to another brand of motorcycle. But harassing Mr. Meese is a skill that took me years to perfect. I can't stop doing that now. I'd let too many people down if I did. (Including Ken)

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
post #50 of 84 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 10:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'm just now paying some attention to this thread, so I guess I need to apologize to those who want to let this topic die... although lots of others are keeping it going. Anyway...

My '05 LT has 117k miles on it. Yes, the FD failed at 6k miles but that was because the BMW dealer's service tech left the fill plug off the FD during the first 6k service! I rode the bike 3 hours and got to my destination with a screwed FD. I don't count this as a "mechanical failure" - it was actually a HUMAN error.

So, in the last 111k miles the FD has not failed. Maybe I should introduce myself to the original poster; that way, he will know someone whose FD has not failed.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in