Paging All K1600 Beta Testers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 7:56 pm Thread Starter

Paging All K1600 Beta Testers

The K16 bike has been on the road for about 4 months now which means that there has to collectively be over a million road miles put on this model already. I assume a good chunk of that distance has come from members of this online community. For those of you who own one and have lived with it for a while, I was wondering what you think the first year models shortcomings are and what you think BMW will have to do in the future to improve them? So far the only issue I have heard of is the excessive heat that comes off the left side of the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 8:22 pm

Re: Paging All K1600 Beta Testers

I think the heat thing is a bit over blown. I have ridden in traffic at 110 F, and the feet are not an issue.

The bike comes equipped with a "Skoda" horn. Embarrassing, and certainly not effective. I replaced mine with twin Fiaam's that work great.

The detachable top bag is of great concern to me. Once removed, the bike has a character change. You find you drive even faster than with it on! You want to pretend the bag is lost. My wife likes the bike, it has to be found.

Thought the lack of a reverse would be an issue, but have not had any problems moving the bike. Find I park more intelligently now.

Really don't like the rev. stops. With the top bag off the bike is solid well past top speed.

The bike burns gas when you burn pavement. Not sure what best gas mileage is but certainly have had some best times on it.

Nimble and fast, but would like to have a bit more exhaust note. May be GT pipes are better, would like to hear them.

Had a high beam switch failure.

Great Bike
Great Bike.
post #3 of 34 Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 8:37 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

After 1500 miles I have NO, Zero, Nada Complaints.
Well Maybe just one,... Work keeps getting in the way of riding
A few thing that BMW could have done different but not a complaint as I fixed them myself.
1 POS Horn (installed Piaa slim line)
2 made it where more Bluetooth setups would work & not just the BMW one. (I Use a Scala G4)
3 offered a Hard Wired option for Audio. (hard wired a 3.5 MM jack to Audio so I can plug into my G4)
4 Factory Radar Detector as this beast is FAST ( I installed the Whistler Pro 3600 with optional rear radar/laser module.)

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 34 Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 11:16 pm

3,300 miles, and nothin' but smiles. Gwad, I love this bike. And no I'm not saying that to justify the spend. It is the bike I was hoping BMW would make - a sport bike with the comfort of a touring bike. Love the flexibility the removable bags and top box offer me. Adaptive headlight is amazing when riding at night. Engine and handling are fantabulous.

Issues:
NONE. Seriously. None.

Tweeks:
Horn is weak. Haven't used, haven't yet changed, but will eventually.
No hard-wire aux jack for in-ear monitors/plugs.

Mountain out of mole hill:
Heat from left side - not an issue when wearing riding boots. Feel it a little more when wearing low riding shoes, but it is far from being an problem.

No reverse. Bike it lighter, lower seat height and I just plan a bit more when parking.

Gas mileage - Running it hard, I'm getting 40mpg. I didn't buy this for gas mileage, I bought it to have fun. If I wanted mileage, I'd buy a Prius.

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 34 Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 11:19 pm

The stock excuse for a horn sucks. I replaced mine with a Stebel. NO USB

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR
post #6 of 34 Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 5:56 am

4,100 miles so far. Heat on the left foot is real, but it's not as bad as what I experienced on my last two Harley baggers.

Horn sucks, like everyone else has already mentioned, I already replaced mine with a Stebel.

Exhaust note could be more aggressive. My dealer's parts manager has a 1200 with a Two Brothers exhaust that sounds super sweet, I've already e-mailed them and asked them to consider developing a similar exhaust for the K1600.

Consider adding some kind of tip-over protection like the LT's have. After seeing what happens in a simple tip-over I'm getting a little worried that I might need it at some time.

I haven't hit the top end of this sucker yet so I don't need them to remove the speed limiter, but I don't like the idea of having one, so I'd like that removed!

Speedometer numbers are so small it's all but worthless. I use my GPS to see my speed - the speedometer is probably the one dash element that I really don't care for.

Otherwise, I'm lovin' this bike. My first BMW, and while I have a habit of changing bikes every 2-3 years (sometimes every year!) I think this one is a keeper.

'12 K1600GTL - Mineral Silver
post #7 of 34 Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 6:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

900 miles - So little it is insignificant.

If you have owned a K1200LT, think about all of the changes you would like to make if you had a "magic wand." I did, and in most cases, that is the K1600GTL.

I thought many times over the past few years about trading my 02 K1200LT for a newer model, but after all of the modifications I made to mine, the newer model, to me, just wasn't worth it.

I love the lower center of gravity. Ride one and you forget you are on a bike this heavy. On a straight road, the K1600GTL just wants to twist and turn....Take off the side cases in about 5 seconds, full or empty. Top case takes a little longer. If it is full, remove items, unplug cable, remove.

No power center stand is a PLUS for me. No reverse is not a problem.

I'd like to see the tail pipes reduced by 2/3 because 2 out of 3 are for show and not used! Improve the sound and reduce the weight. I need more space under the seat for storing electrical accessories. Maybe redesign a cutout under the underside of the seat.

The horn is a no brainier! I will probably spend 4-5 hours replacing it. Factory SHOULD have fixed this at no or limited cost or time added. This is could be a problem.

I already love this bike more than my K1200LT. I just wish it was the fall of the year as this is the worst time of the year to be riding in Florida.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 34 Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 1:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver

I already love this bike more than my K1200LT. I just wish it was the fall of the year as this is the worst time of the year to be riding in Florida.
I won't highjack the thread, but +1 on both counts.
(I had to get to California to put on most of the miles as 110+ in AZ is tough this time of year)

Scott

In the garage:
'08 Big Dog Pitbull

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #9 of 34 Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 5:00 pm

Quote:
Take off the side cases in about 5 seconds, full or empty. Top case takes a little longer. If it is full, remove items, unplug cable, remove.
Not to hijack the thread, but are you saying that in order to remove the top case, you have to empty it first ?

The 49L top case on my RT unsnaps in an instant and becomes modular luggage, just like the side cases.

Sounds like on the GTL you have to unload it, remove it, then reload it, and then drag it to your room.
That sucks.
post #10 of 34 Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 5:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by onmyrt
Not to hijack the thread, but are you saying that in order to remove the top case, you have to empty it first ?

The 49L top case on my RT unsnaps in an instant and becomes modular luggage, just like the side cases.

Sounds like on the GTL you have to unload it, remove it, then reload it, and then drag it to your room.
That sucks.
You have to unplug the wires under the seat, then open the top case & lift up the carpet mat to get to the release knob. If it is full of stuff most if not all will have to come out first. The easiest thing to do is use a top case bag to keep your stuff in.

Stevie Shreeve
post #11 of 34 Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 7:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'm not sure if it would be practical to carry any of the compartments, on a regular basis, into a room. If I were going in that direction, I'd get insert bags for that purpose. The side compartments are going to be dirty and dusty and the top case would be just too heavy in my opinion.

It can be done, but I don't think it would be practical. They do come off quickly though!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #12 of 34 Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 9:32 pm

Mine is awesome.
V1 radar detector mounted, M27 radar jammer mounted, stebel mounted.

bike is wicked fast, all too much fun smoking 103 screaming eagle hd's. its fun watching them get smaller in the rear view mirrors.

I am looking at a pair of scala g4's but havent dived in yet.
not sure about the charging of them, or if once hooked to bt they will stay hooked. as well as trying to figure the whole bt thing out. I have a 3.5 jack to the underseat for headphones when going over 70mph, waiting for a new after market windscreen and armrests

I say the bike is far better than either of my 2 lts. The wife likes the rear and wants to pilot her own, so.... maybee a 2014 for her!

both of the riders footpegs scrape well, bike just glides thru corners.

Ride on!

Richard
2012 K1600Gtl Royal Blue #578 I will ride it like I stole it, wooo hoooo
2002 BMW K1200LTC - SOLD Rode it like i stole it.....

2003 Harley-Davison fltri Road Glide Bone Stock, 40k miles, trouble free
1978 Honda CB650-4 future sidecar rig
1972 BSA A65 Thunderbolt Just Plain cool!
BMW MOA 88880 Lifetime Member
BMW TCD
AMA Member
post #13 of 34 Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 9:56 pm

1100 miles, horn is a POS, everything else is a dream....a really solid bike

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #14 of 34 Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 10:21 pm

You're all Bastids....

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #15 of 34 Old Aug 4th, 2011, 5:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
You're all Bastids....
+1

2000 K1200LT - 94,000 mi. (49,000 mine since July 4th weekend, 2009)
BMW MOA 151654
post #16 of 34 Old Aug 4th, 2011, 7:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
You're all Bastids....
That shade of green looks good on you Brother.

Stevie Shreeve
post #17 of 34 Old Aug 4th, 2011, 7:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
That shade of green looks good on you Brother.
I think I have the Green Eyed Monster whispering in my ear also.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #18 of 34 Old Aug 4th, 2011, 8:44 am

Quote:
I'm not sure if it would be practical to carry any of the compartments, on a regular basis, into a room. If I were going in that direction, I'd get insert bags for that purpose. The side compartments are going to be dirty and dusty and the top case would be just too heavy in my opinion.

It can be done, but I don't think it would be practical. They do come off quickly though!
Sorry Dan, but I often removed my topbox AND saddlebags from my GT into my motel rooms. I do that on my Concours, as well. While I do think simply having a top box bag solves this issue, it shouldn't exist in the first place. I'm a bit confused at BMW's thinking ... again.

As for the horn, you guys crack me up. First of all, easily remedied if you don't like it. Having said that ... I think there's a direct correlation to guys that don't like a high-pitched horns and the size of their penis. You guys just might-as-well ride Harleys.

- Just Joe

(Current bikes)
  • 2001 BMW K1200LTC
  • 2010 Kawasaki Concours14
  • 1985 Honda V65 Magna
  • 2005 Harley V-Rod Chrome Edition
  • 2003 Harley V-Rod Anniversary Edition
post #19 of 34 Old Aug 4th, 2011, 11:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
You guys just might-as-well ride Harleys.
Or some other non-BMW bike.
post #20 of 34 Old Aug 4th, 2011, 12:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by onmyrt

That sucks.
I have Cee Bailey bags and they work fine. Not perfect but as
they are a little small.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR
post #21 of 34 Old Aug 4th, 2011, 2:31 pm

When I test rode (only about 20 minutes) the GTL, I loved it. My main concern (besides cramped feeling, which would be overcome by the higher seat, and jpegs whenever they're available) was the lack of connectivity for bike-to-bike comms.

My friends and I all use iCom radios. Has anyone found a workaround?

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #22 of 34 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 1:28 pm

I need one now!!!

Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!
post #23 of 34 Old Aug 13th, 2011, 7:26 am

My biggest concern before delivery was weight and handling.

Quite honestly, it has been the most impressive bike I have ever ridde. It's a velvet sledge hammer of a bike. Refinement, power, luxury....it makes everything feel almost effortless.

The handling of this bike flat out amazes me. It almost inspires unhealthy doses of confidence. I am finding myself carrying more speed into corners than my K13GT. The K16GT is so good at allowing for mid corner corrections without having to go to the brakes or throttle first. This bike intuitively wants to fall into turns, and it takes almost no effort at all to lean it over.

The engine is so impressive. Smooth and refined, but twist the throttle and delivers a sound and charcter that makes me smile. I see this engine becoming a signature engine for BMW like the Boxer engine by virtue of being somewhat unique from the heard.

As for the first year jitters, only time will tell, but I get the feeling BMW did their homework a little better on this bike than they have in the past on some models. Naturally there will be improvements over the course of this models lifespan, but I have to say BMW seems to have nailed this bike pretty well right out of the box.

As for the heat issue, it is nothing that is ever distracting at all. I do feel some heat now and then if I concentrate on it, but it is never close to being uncomfortable.

This bike is simply amazing. Head and shoulders above anything I have ever owned.
post #24 of 34 Old Aug 13th, 2011, 9:29 am

I hate to rub it in but todays high here in Portland, OR is expected to be 75*. Just heard on the news that we have not hit 90* even one time this year!

Bring those bad boys up here and enjoy the cool summer weather.

BTW Rain forecasted tomorrow into Monday! Yee ha!

DanDiver

MrBreeze
I won't highjack the thread, but +1 on both counts.
(I had to get to California to put on most of the miles as 110+ in AZ is tough this time of year)

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #25 of 34 Old Aug 13th, 2011, 1:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
[i]I hate to rub it in but todays high here in Portland, OR is expected to be 75*. Just heard on the news that we have not hit 90* even one time this year!

Bring those bad boys up here and enjoy the cool summer weather.
Feel free to rub it in....'cause in Jan/Feb we'll be doing the same.

I was recently up riding in the redwood forests of NoCal - came close to OR. Beautiful twisty roads in the cool shade of the tree tops and marine layer. As you know, it doesn't get much better. Enjoy! (I'll be riding pre-dawn, and post dusk...)

Scott

In the garage:
'08 Big Dog Pitbull

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #26 of 34 Old Aug 13th, 2011, 1:40 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze
Feel free to rub it in....'cause in Jan/Feb we'll be doing the same.
Well, OK then, since you asked . . . beautiful, cool 63 right now in coastal Ventura county, although we may see 70 later today. High this week is 74, dropping back to about 60 overnight, which is just about perfect for the big, beautiful full moon tonight.

And yes, forecasts for Jan/Feb may drop 10 or so, but pretty much stay the same . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #27 of 34 Old Aug 13th, 2011, 2:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Well, OK then, since you asked . . . beautiful, cool 63 right now in coastal Ventura county, although we may see 70 later today. High this week is 74, dropping back to about 60 overnight, which is just about perfect for the big, beautiful full moon tonight.

And yes, forecasts for Jan/Feb may drop 10 or so, but pretty much stay the same . . .
That's why you have this....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	405traffic.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	32462  

Scott

In the garage:
'08 Big Dog Pitbull

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #28 of 34 Old Aug 13th, 2011, 4:33 pm

Quote:

Well there goes your Test ride of my GTL
Today was the first day in over a month we DID NOT hit 100.

Stevie Shreeve
post #29 of 34 Old Aug 13th, 2011, 4:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Down here in Florida, we just know that from around the end of April through late Sept it's going to be hot and humid. Every now and then we get a tropical storm or hurricane. It generally rains every afternoon and twice a year we get undated by a few love bugs for variety. I've been down here since the early 70's and it hasn't changed.

The rest of the time it is heaven. But we sure have to pay for it!

If it wasen't for all of the diving in the fish tank, I'd move up to the mountains in the summer.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #30 of 34 Old Aug 13th, 2011, 5:11 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze
That's why you have this....
Nope, that mess is for all the fools that still live in L.A. and Orange Counties. I used to commute through it daily, until I got smart enough to work for myself and move just outside the Crazy Zone.

Now my "commute" looks more like this:

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #31 of 34 Old Oct 9th, 2011, 4:58 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

Quote:

+1 with Dan... Why would you want to take your cases off? You can't take them off of the LT. It hard enough carrying two or three bags a crap to your hotel room plus dragging the hard cases as well... (insert smiley face here)

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #32 of 34 Old Oct 9th, 2011, 5:01 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
Smile Re: Paging All K1600 Beta Testers

Quote:
Nope, that mess is for all the fools that still live in L.A. and Orange Counties. I used to commute through it daily, until I got smart enough to work for myself and move just outside the Crazy Zone.

Now my "commute" looks more like this:

HI Ken,
Do you have any openings at your scenic office for other like minded individuals???

Jeff

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #33 of 34 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 9:00 pm

Talking Re: Paging All K1600 Beta Testers

Delivery: #25

Miles: 7,200 miles on the clock (5,100 in 16 days) as of 10/01/11.

Overall: I have no complaints.

LT vs GTL: The bike is definitely superior to the LT for two-up and trailer towing touring. More power, more comfortable and more fun for both parties. The BMW bluetooth comm system is incredible and makes my old Autocomm LT system seem like a Model T.

Trailering: The bike could care less if there is 150# of Unigo following it. The wiring is not the problem some have feared. I never thought I'd find a bike to out-class my LT, but the LT is only a faint memory now and all I can recall is how many short comings it had compared to the GTL.

Servicing: I completed the first 6K service on my own. Did have to replace tires (F&R). I guess if I had to bitch about something it would be the inner oil pan drain plug design. But due to the great folks on this site I now have a modified inner plug with the welded Allen drive. The bike is not the scary, computerized monster that some have inferred it is and the home mechanic can work on it as easily as the LT. My BMW dealer happily reset my service indicator and has asked me several times to speak to prospective buyers and to discuss service details with their techs.

Horn: Hum, there's a horn? Must be an East Coast thing? I've never use it (on any bike). Whats the point, by the time you think to push the button you could be dodging the situation. Tooting it most likely won't do anything but piss off the offending cage. My philosophy has always been........ my the throttle is my horn!

Radar: Absolutely, 100%, you definitely need a good radar detector! The bike wants to be ridden fast. I have my Valentine-1 mounted internally where the right speaker used to be and this only exposes the small Valentine remote viewer on the instrument cluster.

As previously stated, I too find I don't have enough time to ride the bike as much as I'd like.
post #34 of 34 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 6:19 pm Thread Starter

Had the bike for a week and have ridden her everyday. The only problem I have is when I am coming off the throttle I get the herky jerky instead of smooth de-accelleration. I will drop by the dealer and see if there is anything they can do about it. Hoping it is just a software fix. It feels like my K1200GT which they were never able to completely rectify the throttle problem. Otherwise in power, ergo's and handling she is light years ahead of any bike I have ever owned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in